A-4H Skyhawk: Eagles Over Israel

Sweepdown

A-4H Skyhawk  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see this plane added to WT?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What vehicle should this be classified as?

• Techtree
    • Event
    • Premium (purchasable)
    • Premium (Battlepass)

Welcome back to my 11th suggestion thread- this time, it covers an Israelian variant of the ever-popular Douglas A-4 Skyhawk- the A-4H

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

An A-4F Skyhawk that is further modified by Israel to use 30mm DEFA cannons instead of 20mm Colt Mk12 autocannons, and later modified with extended jetpipes to protect against heatseeking missiles. They served Israel from the War of Attrition all the way into the early 2010s.

HISTORY

Israel was and still is a major fan of American equipment, and there is no truer embodiment of this than the A-4 Skyhawk. They proved to be the largest export customer for American Skyhawks, and in fact was the first warplane they offered to the IAF- marking the tipping point where the US overtook France as the lead weapon supplier to Israel- forming the backbone of their ground-attack formations. Named the Ayit ("Eagle" in Hebrew) in service, the Skyhawk's agility and durability endeared it to the IDF, as did it's low cost and surprisingly good bombload (it costs only 1/4 of what an F-4 would, while carrying 1/2 it's bombload)

So fond the Israelians of the airplane that the folks at McDonnell-Douglas created a specialized variant just to sell to them- the focus of this thread, in fact. This variant, called the A-4H Skyhawk, was essentially an A-4E with improved avionics, the J-52P-8A engine, and two 30mm DEFA cannons instead of the usual two 20mm Colt Mk12 autocannons. 90 of these were delivered, becoming the IAF's darling boy for ground attack missions during its conflict with their Arabic neighbors. The Israelians later modified them with extended tailpipes, which was handy in protecting the plane from pesky air-to-air missiles. Despite this model being the most popular in Israelian service, the Israelians did operate other types of Skyhawks, including A-4Es, A-4Ns and the TA-4H training variant.

Some of these were later sold to other countries, including Indonesia (via secret agreement and a lot of backroom play, as to this day both countries have no diplomatic relations), who used them from 1982 to 2003, and one of the A-4s is currently on display in Jogjakarta's Dirgantara Museum. 

IN WAR THUNDER

The A-4H would be a very good event vehicle, as it is different enough from the A-4B in the tech tree and the A-4E (Early) squadron vehicle, yet for some reason I'm skeptical of the prospects of turning this into a premium. This would be put in Rank VI as an event vehicle, with BR around 8.7-9.3. If placed in the American tech tree, this will be one of the few planes with 30mm cannons, as well as the first one with 30mm DEFA cannons.

SPECIFICATIONS

Due to my inability to search for actual A-4H specs, I had to modify a bit the Specifications page for Wikipedia, which is quite fitting as the A-4H is in essence a modified A-4E. So mind if we see hyperlink residues and inaccuracies. But if anyone has got the actual specs for the A-4H, post here and I'll amend this section.

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 40 ft 1.5 in (12.230 m)
  • Wingspan: 27 ft 6 in (8.38 m)
  • Height: 15 ft 2 in (4.62 m)
  • Wing area: 260 sq ft (24 m2)
  • Airfoil: root: NACA 0008-1.1-25; tip: NACA 0005-.825-50
  • Empty weight: 9,853 lb (4,469 kg)
  • Gross weight: 16,216 lb (7,355 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 24,500 lb (11,113 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney J52-P-8A turbojet engine, 9300 lbf (41kN) thrust

Performance

• Maximum speed: 585 kn (673 mph, 1,083 km/h) at sea level
  • Range: 1,008 nmi (1,160 mi, 1,867 km)
  • Ferry range: 2,194 nmi (2,525 mi, 4,063 km)
  • g limits: +8 -3
  • Rate of climb: 5,750 ft/min (29.2 m/s)
  • Wing loading: 62.4 lb/sq ft (305 kg/m2)
  • Thrust/weight:  0.943 

Armament

PICTURES

ATM Label 2019 - A-4H Skyhawk - Set of 6 | Israel Stamps | Worldwide  Stamps, Coins Banknotes and Accessories for Collectors | WOPA+

Some sort of postcard (?) that has an image of the A-4H Skyhawk on it.

File:First Douglas A-4H Skyhawk on the ground 1969.jpeg - Wikimedia Commons

An A-4H Skyhawk on the ground. Note the tailhook, which was retained from earlier naval Skyhawks.

Skyhawk_israel_older_efi_E.jpg

A-4H Skyhawks awaiting disposal following their retirement in 2009. Unfortunately, I don't think they were saved from the scrapyard.

SOURCES

http://skyhawk.org/article/douglas-a4-skyhawk-production-history

http://skyhawk.org/article-unit/israeli-skyhawks

http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/newa4_11.html

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2020/07/17/israeli-skyhawks/

Edited by Sweepdown
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1, this would be nice to see.  It probably would get added as an event vehicle in the U.S. tree given how things have been going which would not be ideal but is better than not getting this beauty at all.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I like that this version has 30mms. But we already have a lot of Israeli premiums, so I would only support it after other smaller countries get more planes first.

medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

A Skyhawk with DEFA cannons sounds awesome! +1

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MandolinMagi said:

How do you upgrade an A-4E to 30mm cannon and gain 50% more cannon ammo? 

The DEFA had almost the same fit for the gun+magazine (remember that the standard load per "magazine" of the DEFAs was 150 rounds), the only noticeable change was that the barrel was a little longer than the colt Mk.12, and that it required a custom frontal part to cover it.

a5f7127af3d3d9fc72422bedd9df219do.jpg

The argentines did the same to their A-4B&Cs. thats probably the best pic of them with the 30mm

medal

Just now, OsO73 said:

The DEFA had almost the same fit for the gun+magazine (remember that the standard load per "magazine" of the DEFAs was 150 rounds), the only noticeable change was that the barrel was a little longer than the colt Mk.12, and that it required a custom frontal part to cover it.

The argentines did the same to their A-4B&Cs. thats probably the best pic of them with the 30mm

Standard A-4 is 100 rounds of 20x110mm. How are you getting an extra 50 rounds when your 30x113mm rounds are 50% wider and a bit longer?

medal

3 hours ago, MandolinMagi said:

Standard A-4 is 100 rounds of 20x110mm. How are you getting an extra 50 rounds when your 30x113mm rounds are 50% wider and a bit longer?

The Space occupied by both guns is almost the same (With the exception of length) , the box of ammo was a little bigger but it still fitted inside the aircraft. I consulted a few of my sources and all point to the modified A-4s having 150rpg.

Close up:

Spoiler

D-1999-04-08520_edited.jpg

Edited by OsO73
  • Like 1
medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • Suggestion Moderator
On 04/02/2021 at 05:34, Z3r0_ said:

If I had to hazard a guess, probably the AIM-9E.

The standard type of sidewinder the Israelis used was the Aim-9D (at least until all aspect sidewinders were introduced) and was nicknamed "Dakar". Aim-9Bs and Aim-9Es were also used but from what I know it was only to a limited degree. Also supposedly the A-4H was fitted to be able to carry Shafrir 2 missiles but I couldn't find any photo evidence for that.

Edited by yoyolast

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, oom1992 said:

Gaijin surprise Israel new nation coming to War Thunder! 

https://warthunder.com/en/news/7383-development-israel-a-new-gaming-nation-coming-to-war-thunder-en

Yep, I guessed as much. I even wanted to put this plane as the guess to what @gromvoiny put out:

unknown.png?width=1440&height=390

Unfortunately, the forum won't let me post because it's been at least a while since I played a battle on WT, and so I missed out on the chance to win the pack. Goddammit.

I do hope to get something as someone who wrote this thread, though. In fact, I think Gaijin should give out something to people whose suggested vehicles get implemented. Granted, it feels entitled to ask that, but it can't hurt to get a commemoration either way.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 hours ago, Sweepdown said:

Yep, I guessed as much. I even wanted to put this plane as the guess to what @gromvoiny put out:

unknown.png?width=1440&height=390

Unfortunately, the forum won't let me post because it's been at least a while since I played a battle on WT, and so I missed out on the chance to win the pack. Goddammit.

I do hope to get something as someone who wrote this thread, though. In fact, I think Gaijin should give out something to people whose suggested vehicles get implemented. Granted, it feels entitled to ask that, but it can't hurt to get a commemoration either way.

but A-4H better A-4E (Late) in Israel premium tree ? 

1920x1080_a_4e_late_iaf_logo_com_98d3814

Edited by oom1992
medal

4 minutes ago, oom1992 said:

but A-4H better A-4E (Late) in premium tree ?

From what I understand, the A-4E(late) shown is an Israeli modification to their existing Skyhawks, to bring them up to 4H armament standard. The typical American A-4E(late) would be much more similar to the 4E(early) already ingame, w/ some avionics differences. The Israeli Skyhawks will be very similar in performance.

Still, the 4H is unique and I look forward to seeing it in the techtree soon ! +1 !

medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator
12 hours ago, oom1992 said:

but A-4H better A-4E (Late) in Israel premium tree ? 

1920x1080_a_4e_late_iaf_logo_com_98d3814

This plane and the A-4H are basically the same aircraft except that the one we are getting is an upgraded A-4E meant to match the standard of the A-4H while the A-4H is an official export model the US made for Israel. I don't know if there's really much of a point to have both aircraft in the game, but honestly seeing as the potential amount of vehicles for Israel isn't really big to begin with maybe having this as a premium and the A-4H in the researchable tech tree would be a pretty good idea.

Edited by yoyolast

• 1 month later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the A-4H Skyhawk has been implemented with update 2.13 Winged Lions,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute: