Flakpanzer Gepard 1A2: The Last German SPAAG

Yontzee

Flakpanzer Gepard 1A2  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flakpanzer Gepard 1A2 be added to War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What BR should it be?

• None
  3. 3. Should it be a new vehicle or an upgrade to the existing Gepard?

• New Vehicle
    • Upgrade to in-game Gepard
    • No Again

Capture2.thumb.PNG.aa4716ded645e9bf04dbe

Gepard_1A2.thumb.jpg.d1af6756c60d6e754fb

German Flakpanzer Gepard 1A2 mobile anti-aircraft system.

Background.thumb.PNG.ddeb3ab421e13c2d51c

• The Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer Gepard ("anti-aircraft cannon tank Cheetah", also known as the Flakpanzer Gepard) is an all-weather-capable German self-propelled anti-aircraft gun (SPAAG). It was developed in 1963 as a private venture to provide the German Army a modern/effective SPAAG during the height of the Cold War. The first prototypes were tested in 1968, passing several tests in the proving grounds before being adopted by the German Army in 1973, entering service initially as the Flakpanzer-1 Gepard. The Gepard was initially designed to protect installations, combat units, and troops from aircraft however due its versatility, it is able to combat light vehicles with APDS as well as a newer FAPDS rounds. Over 420 were built for the German Army. In 1976, a new model of the Gepard 1A2 was introduced with significant upgrades, including a new digital fire control system, new types of ammunition, etc., which became the mainstay of the German Army as well as the armies of Brazil, Chile, Jordan, Romania and the Netherlands. In Germany, the Gepard 1A2 was phased out in late 2010 and replaced by Wiesel 2 Ozelot Leichtes Flugabwehrsystem (LeFlaSys) with four FIM-92 Stinger or LFK NG missile launchers.  Post for Wiesel 2 Ozelot below:

• The Gepard 1A2 is fitted with twin Oerlikon KDA 35mm auto-cannons. These guns are belt-fed, allowing the rotation between multiple variants of ammunition and can carry a maximum of 680 rounds. Maximum rate of fire for a single gun is 550 rounds per minute. The Flakpanzer Gepard 1A2 utilizes a new APDS round known as the DM33 Frangible Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot-Tracer (FAPDS-T). This round still retains the similar characteristics as the DM23 APDS round in terms of penetrating capability, however the Tungsten core is designed to fragment post-penetration causing several fragments to splinter and wreak havoc inside of an armored vehicle. This new FAPDS round increases the Gepard's survivability against light to medium vehicles. General search radar is located at the rear of the turret roof and tracking radar is located between the guns. The Gepard 1A2 is fitted with friend-or-foe identification system integrated with the Search RADAR. Both the Search and Track RADAR's of the Gepard 1A2 has a maximum range of 15 km. It provides all-round scanning with simultaneous target tracking as well as search on the move capabilities. This SPAAG is also fitted with a digital fire control system. The hull of the Gepard 1A2 is based on a Leopard 1, providing protection against small caliber cannons, while turret protection is only against small arms fire and artillery shell splinters. It is also fitted with NBC protection system. The Gepard 1A2 has a crew of three, including commander, gunner and driver.

• Gepard 1A2 upgrade listing:

• Enhanced NBC protection system for increased survivability.

• Unspecified Night Vision Devices for crew members for night time targeting.

• EADS Digital Fire Control System with increased firing ranges and reduced reaction time.

• New Laser Rangefinder mounted above the tracking RADAR.

• New ammunition such as DM33 FAPDS-T, etc. 

• New RADAR capabilities increasing detection ranges to 15km.

• APU to operate without use of engine to decrease thermal signature.

• This variant of Gepard was used by the German Army for over 34 years!

Specs.thumb.PNG.c68c21b3ce45e87c557f524a

• Armament:
    • 2x 35mm KDA Oerlikon GDF Auto-cannons
      • Characteristics:
        • Length: 90 Calibers
        • Rate of Fire (RoF): 550rds/min.
    • Ammunition (Rounds carried by the 1A2 with the exception of the incendiary rounds):
      • DM33 FAPDS-T:
      • Muzzle Velocity: 1,400m/s
        • Penetration:
          • ~133mm @ 10m
          • ~129mm @ 100m
          • ~121mm @ 500m
        • Designed for anti-aircraft use.
        • 640rds carried.
        • Note: This round has very similar pentation capabilities of the DM23, however, it is capable of fragmenting significantly causing far more damage and spalling (see pictures).

• DM23 APDS
      • Same as in-game.

• DM11A1 HEI-T:
        • Muzzle Velocity: 1,175m/s
        • Penetration:
          • ~15mm up to 500m.
        • Designed for anti-aircraft use.

• Storage:
        • Total of 680rds stored.
      • Effective Range: 5.5km
    • Capture.thumb.PNG.e3c4bb55478dd50b481e8d There are reports of a 35mm APFSDS Long Rod round (PMD-060) developed in the late 80's to early 2000's with a penetration of ~170mm of RHA at point blank range used however I haven't found any credible source. This would exponentially raise its BR if found to be actively used by the German Gepard 1A2. In the most likely case, only the newer FAPDS-T and HVAPDS-T rounds were used. If you can provide more details, please place in comments.
  • Armor:
    • All-around 30-25mm RHA (same values as in-game).
    • Small arms protection on the turret (same values as in-game).
  • Sensors:
    • Fire Control System:
      • EADS Digital Computer
        • Fire-on-Move capability.
        • Increased firing range.
    • Search RADAR:
      • Type: S-Band
        • Search-on-Move capability.
      • Range: 15km
      • Scanning Capability: 360 degrees.
    • Tracking RADAR:
      • Type: Ku-Band
        • Track-on-Move capability.
      • Range: 15km
  • Maneuverability:
    • Engine:
      • MTU MB 838 Ca M500 10-cylinder Multifuel Diesel
    • Power Output:
      • 830hp at 2,200rpm
    • Transmission:
      • 4 Forward, 2 Reverse
    • Speed:
      • 65 km/h
    • Power-to-Weight Ratio:
      • 17.5 hp/t
    • Turret Traverse:
      • 90 degrees per second.
    • Gun Elevation:
      • -10 to 85 degrees, powered elevation of 45 degrees per second.
  • Crew (x3):
    • Gunner
    • Commander
    • Driver

access.thumb.PNG.ae114e1a030fc603a29760a

• Fire-protection Equipment
  • 8x 76mm Smoke Grenades (4x each side)
  • Laser Rangefinder
  • Night Vision Device
    • Driver
    • Commander
    • Gunner

in-game.thumb.PNG.9c5ef1c65376b14bccbae6

• Simple post to include an upgraded Gepard similar to the jump of the Leopard A1A1 to the Leopard 1A5.
  • The Gepard 1A2 would perform very similarly to the current in-game Gepard 1 with the exception of stronger ammunition, night vision equipment, increased search/track range, and slightly increased firing range due to upgraded fire control. This vehicle will look almost exactly the same as all upgrades are internal with the exception of the new laser rangefinder above the tracking RADAR.
  • The Frangible APDS would increase survivability as it would "shred" modules and side armor of tanks, causing a lot more fragmentation disposing of crews. The difference between the DM23 and DM33 is the ability to fragment. The overall penetration capability remains almost the same.
  • The DM63 will increase overall effectiveness of the Gepard against land-based vehicles. Performance is similar to the DM23 in terms of characteristic with greater penetration. 
  • Gunner NVD would allow for night-time anti-air capability.

pics.thumb.PNG.b47864c5cea99516146cd0a49

Gepard2.PNG.3a7903c4e00d193800059659a617

Gepard 1A2 with camouflage netting.

Gepard3.thumb.PNG.067fe9e933f9548741c98b

Gepard 1A2 conducting firing exercises.

Live fire exercise of a Gepard 1A2.

1a749a48425210f6d6fb3b95b7e8bf64571255f3

View of the DM33 FAPDS tip.

8f2fbea6bccd09b6c8694cdf3cbcdde200e2e68e

Full view of the DM33 FAPDS round.

a57a6f0d66c1371e86e3e946617e7bcdad03af5a

Bottom of the DM33 FAPDS round, showing location of primer.

download.thumb.jpg.e1151bad1cef460fc8d52

Gram showing the capabilities of the 35mm rounds, more specifically the FAPDS.

sources.thumb.PNG.d02ce38bfd63a2ba25d895

Edited by Yontzee
Ammo change!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal

19 hours ago, Yontzee said:
    •  
  • Capture.thumb.PNG.e3c4bb55478dd50b481e8d There are reports of a 35mm APFSDS Long Rod round (PMD-060) developed in the late 80's to early 2000's with a penetration of ~170mm of RHA at point blank range used however I haven't found any credible source. The same goes for the (PMD-062/DM43?)AHEAD Air-Burst round which can shoot down missiles, and other airborne ordnance. This would exponentially raise its BR if found to be actively used by the German Gepard 1A2. If you can provide more details, please place in comments.

Gepard 1A2 cannot use AHEAD, its lacking the barrel part for programming the ammunition, you can see it here on this 35mm AA gun as the thick part on the front part of the barrel

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Oerlikon_GDF-006_35mm_Twin_Cannon_at_Chiayi_AFB_20120811a.jpg/640px-Oerlikon_GDF-006_35mm_Twin_Cannon_at_Chiayi_AFB_20120811a.jpg

and the APFSDS is most likely the same that was intended to be used with the Marder 2's 35/50mm autocannon (timeframe fits as well, Marder 2 development went from 1984 to 1992) , I'm not sure if it was ever indended to be used with the Gepard, although, in theory its compatible, since the RH503 of the Marder 2 used the same 35x228mm NATO standard. (APFSDS is the second from left on this picture)

https://www.quarryhs.co.uk/50mm%20Harry%20Zertner.jpg

That being said, Gepard 1A2 could be interesting, since the FAPDS is intended to be used against air targets, and thus an argument for it to go into the large 640 round belt could be made.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
medal

1 hour ago, L963 said:

Gepard 1A2 cannot use AHEAD, its lacking the barrel part for programming the ammunition, you can see it here on this 35mm AA gun as the thick part on the front part of the barrel

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Oerlikon_GDF-006_35mm_Twin_Cannon_at_Chiayi_AFB_20120811a.jpg/640px-Oerlikon_GDF-006_35mm_Twin_Cannon_at_Chiayi_AFB_20120811a.jpg

and the APFSDS is most likely the same that was intended to be used with the Marder 2's 35/50mm autocannon (timeframe fits as well, Marder 2 development went from 1984 to 1992) , I'm not sure if it was ever indended to be used with the Gepard, although, in theory its compatible, since the RH503 of the Marder 2 used the same 35x228mm NATO standard. (APFSDS is the second from left on this picture)

https://www.quarryhs.co.uk/50mm%20Harry%20Zertner.jpg

That being said, Gepard 1A2 could be interesting, since the FAPDS is intended to be used against air targets, and thus an argument for it to go into the large 640 round belt could be made.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I didn’t think the AHEAD was used but that helps a lot. As for the APFSDS round, it would be up to Gaijin for its implementation but I don’t think it was used. The FAPDS would be more than enough to make this vehicle more deadly as it can be used against ground or air vehicles.

On top of that I have seen sources where the latest Gepard used primarily the FAPDS  :salute:

Edited by Yontzee

• 2 months later...

Doesn’t have the AHEAD ammunition however is now comparable (practically the same) to the Chinese PGZ09 and would sit comfortably at BR 8.3. Maybe 8.7 if it can use more than 60rds of FAPDS.

Edited by Yontzee

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 06:12, Yontzee said:

Maybe 8.7 if it can use more than 60rds of FAPDS.

I would put it at 8.7 or 9.0, the FAPDS is designed against air targets, and with the vastly different muzzle velocity compared to the API and HE, it should be available as a full large belt

medal

14 minutes ago, WreckingAres283 said:

Wasn’t there a Gepard version with Stinger ? 

there is, even with a suggestion for it. Although I personally doubt the effectiveness of that vehicle. Stinger isnt really that capable ingame (or rather, its ****)

medal

1 hour ago, L963 said:

there is, even with a suggestion for it. Although I personally doubt the effectiveness of that vehicle. Stinger isnt really that capable ingame (or rather, its ****)

It would be something more interesting than just a new Gepard, PGZ04A is already in game as a counter, murica could get M6 Linebacker, just my thoughts 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Updated with the DM63 HVAPDS-T. Most late 1A2 Gepards carried 640rds of DM33 FAPDS-T for anti-aircraft usage and 40rds of DM63 HVAPDS-T for anti-armor use. Completely makes the Gepard of eating through the side armor of MBT as well as light vehicles and aircraft. Some carried HEI-T and other incendiary rounds. More updates and pics to follow.

12 hours ago, L963 said:

DM63 HVAPDS is a 20mm shell used on the Marder

I confused the ammunition, thanks for a catch. I read that the Gepard 1A2 can use a type of HVAPDS-T round but mixed them up. If anyone has information on this please let me know. 

On 17/06/2021 at 15:11, Yontzee said:

I read that the Gepard 1A2 can use a type of HVAPDS-T round but mixed them up. If anyone has information on this please let me know. 

thats probably just the normal DM23 APDS, these usage of HV with APDS is almost like its based on the mood of whoever wrote it

medal

58 minutes ago, L963 said:

thats probably just the normal DM23 APDS, these usage of HV with APDS is almost like its based on the mood of whoever wrote it

You’re probably right. Either way, I wanna find the most perks that I can for this vehicle to differentiate it from the Gepard 1. Thanks mate :salute:

Edited by Yontzee

On 20/03/2021 at 05:10, Cpt_Jack_Irons said:

+1 perfect upgrade to the Gepard to make it more viable

Just made an extra question to the poll (for new visitors) about adding a new Gepard or upgrading the existing one, lets see what happens.

For those revisiting, feel free to post your answers in the comments! 

Edited by Yontzee

• 2 months later...

Spoiler: Just created a Romanian Sub-tree which also uses this. This should be a mod to the existing Gepard in-game since its mainly just FAPDS and Laser Rangefinder and maybe throw in a Romanian Camouflage for funzies:salute:

Edited by Yontzee

• 7 months later...
On 16/06/2021 at 08:22, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

It seems the suggestion for this has been deleted. Would you be alright with me remaking it? I really wanna see that vehicle added.

medal medal

4 hours ago, JamesPond1200@psn said:

It seems the suggestion for this has been deleted. Would you be alright with me remaking it? I really wanna see that vehicle added.

Sure, who was the original author again?