British 95mm QF Self-propelled Gun Alecto

Brunhilde__

Alecto   

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this vehicle to be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What status of tank would it be, if it was added?

• Research/ Tech Tree Vehicle
    • Premium Vehicle
    • Event Vehicle
    • I don't want

Greetings friends, today I will suggest a tank to be added to War Thunder. Be warned because this thread contains many images.

Alecto Self-propelled Gun

S8hgd6T.thumb.png.bf73360f500dfe2aaabc6f

Funny looking yet packing a big gun

The Alecto is a self-propelled gun built by the British in World War II. It uses the chassis of the Light Tank Harry Hopkins.

The origins of the tank
In April 1942 the General Staff issued a requirement for an air portable self-propelled gun based on the Harry Hopkins tank.
The Harry Hopkins was a light tank made by the British as an improvement to the Tetrach, but it was obsolete and the chassis were used to make the Alecto SPGs.

2 guns were made of 95mm caliber and mounted in the Harry Hopkins light tank chassis. The 95mm howitzer-equipped vehicle was designated the Alecto Mk. I. The vehicle was of an open-topped construction. Plans were made for 2000 Alectos to be built but the plan was cancelled due to the Alecto being obsolete. Plans to change the 95mm howitzer equipped in the Alecto to the Ordnance QF 6 pounder gun was made, designated the Alecto Mk.2 and some prototypes were built. However, it never left the prototype stages and the 95mm howitzer was used and produced instead.
Vickers was given the task of developing the new vehicle, but work was delayed because the War Office couldn't decide how it would be used. The first trials were started in 1944. But by the time the trials were finished the war was over, and the Alectos were of no purpose anymore. Some Alectos were turned into Alecto Dozers. Small number of Alectos did serve in some units in the British Army in Berlin (11th Hussars) in 1945 and some Alectos even served with the Kings Dragoons unit up to 1947. 

MLH24GP.thumb.png.29bb4cfc97f606a9b557aa

Two Alectos in Berlin, 1945. The unit markings are from the 11th Hussars

Specifications

alecto.thumb.jpg.4f4df67e831ef9913239a15

General Specifications
95mm OQF Howitzer (for the Alecto 

Armor penetration at distance 10/100/500m: with HEAT 127/127/127

Crew: 4 (driver, gunner, loader and commander)

Mass: 8 tons

Armor: 10/6/6mm

Speed: 31mph
Engine Power: 162hp

Hull Length: 14ft
Hull Width: 8ft 10.5in
Height: 4ft 10.5in

mD4Obod.thumb.jpg.b6555c95a05a17fb674cf7
Armor layout, and dimensions of the Alecto

Hull Front: 6-10mm Glacis 
Gun Shield: 10mm 
Sides: 6-10mm
Rear: 6-10mm.

The Alecto is not heavily armored in any way. Autocannons, and 12.7++ caliber machineguns will perforate your armor very easily and it can get penetrated even by 7mm machneguns at close range! The vehicle seems pretty small though in dimensions. Can be used as an advantage.

Armament and ammunition values
Tanks_and_Afvs_of_the_British_Army_1939-

Another picture of the Alecto with the 95mm howitzer.

The Alecto is equipped with the Ordnance QF 95mm Howitzer, a gun based on the QF 3.7 inch AA Gun. It was exclusively used in tanks. It was designed to lob HE or HEAT shells at German fortifications, supporting infantry. It was not designed as a high-velocity field gun hence its short barrel length. For anti-tank uses HEAT was available with a 127mm penetration at 0 degrees, which is adequate for taking out enemy tanks.

Armament statistics (This applies for the Mark I, which uses the 95mm howitzer. Data for the 6 pounder version is unknown.)

Gun: Ordnance QF 95mm Howitzer, Tank

Gun Traverse: 30 degrees both sides 

Ammunition capacity: 48 rounds

Ammunition table:

This is my table, I made it based on the documents i've found pertaining the 95mm Howitzer Ammunition. I still haven't found the values for the HE penetration. if someone knows please let me know. There is a smoke shell for the QF 95mm Howitzer too, but I can't seem to find the data about the smoke shell's characteristics.

208354706_Screenshot(63).thumb.png.0d312

Based on these tables:

b41a49457c18aea3e0e32ad7ce2664cd.png.d18 be063e0071b72f3b23e176980db4f7e0.png.9b7

Mobility, Engine and Transmission Specifications

nK5Mskw.thumb.png.3d1ba7b05340e85042aa5d

An Alecto moving at relatively fast speeds. This is an Alecto Mk. 2 with a 6 pounder equipped.

The Alecto uses the Meadows H.O.P 12 cylinder engine.

Speed: 49km/h forwards
Number of Gears: 5 Forward - 1 Reverse

Weight: 8.0 tons

Engine Power: 162bhp 

Power-to-weight Ratio: 20.2hp/ton

Documents for the Alecto's Engine and Transmission.

KEzwVKD.thumb.jpg.5d7aee395c638bab3c1553

My Sources:

- Great Britain's Self Propelled Guns (SPG). (archive.org)

-OVERLORD'S BLOG: The Tiny Erinyes (overlord-wot.blogspot.com)

-Rickard, J (1 June 2017), Alecto self-propelled gun, Alecto self-propelled gun (historyofwar.org)

-WarWheels.Net - "British Armoured Car Production Figures 1945" (archive.org)

-WWII AFV regimental ID | Army Rumour Service (arrse.co.uk)

Conclusion

I think that is enough for now. I think this will be a great addition to the low-mid tiers of the British Tech Tree, especially the Tank Destroyer tree. I think it would fit after Valentine I and the other Valentines will be moved in another line. A small, lightly armored tank destroyer with a big gun with loads of explosives is interesting in the British Tech Tree, where many vehicles are equipped with solid shots with small HE fillers. Or perhaps the Alecto Mk. 2, equipped with the average 6 pounder gun. I think that would be interesting too!  A refreshing tank too from the slow lumbering Valentines and a great transition to the Archer/Achilles line. Many thanks my friends!

UdSeSO9.jpg

h6gh8DJ.jpg

61296693_1975981649177711_2544871807685492736_n.jpg

Tanks_and_Afvs_of_the_British_Army_1939-45_STT7163.jpg

Edited by PanzerSoldat_212
Adding some history about the 6 pounder type, and adding data about ammuntion capacity and gun traverse
  • Upvote 4

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion however of you. Could include more information on the vehicles history it would be good thank you :salute:

Edited by TerikG2014

• Suggestion Moderator

Its also worth noting the 6 pounder Alecto was finished

2 hours ago, PanzerSoldat_212 said:

nK5Mskw.thumb.png.3d1ba7b05340e85042aa5d

in fact i'm pretty sure this is one of the pictures of it

15 hours ago, TerikG2014 said:

Open for discussion however of you. Could include more information on the vehicles history it would be good thank you :salute:

Yes i added the history of the vehicle. thank you

14 hours ago, TerikG2014 said:

in fact i'm pretty sure this is one of the pictures of it

Isn't it the 95mm?

Edit: Yes, that's definite 6 pounder. I am really sorry for the misinformation. Will edit it.

Edited by PanzerSoldat_212
Mistake

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Whats up with the He round? Its way heavyer than the Heat yet only has 347g of Amatol? In an 95mm gun? Even the 57mm gun has more filler.

Edited by Ghostmaxi
medal

On 06/09/2021 at 11:08, Ghostmaxi said:

Whats up with the He round? Its way heavyer than the Heat yet only has 347g of Amatol? In an 95mm gun? Even the 57mm gun has more filler.

I'm 80% sure it's meant to be 1410g not 347g. 

medal medal

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the Alecto Mk. I has been implemented during the Battle for Arachis event,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute: