Add Kinetic Damage to Bombs

Thatz

Do you think adding Kinetic Energy to AP/SAP Bombs  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think adding Kinetic Energy to AP/SAP Bombs

• Yes
    • No

• Suggestion Moderator

War thunder currently has a few AP bombs to help fight against large ships by penetrating the deck and exploding inside of the ship.

Me and my friend tested out a few of the Japanese AP and non-AP bombs to see if they would actually penetrate the deck of a ship and if so how much damage it would do.

What we found out is that Bombs do not have any physical AP effect on ships (shrapnel and HE power excluded).
The bomb would just hit the ship and explode on the deck regardless of what kind of bomb was dropped.

What would this add to WarThunder?

There are currently 2 AP/SAP bombs in the game that currently do not have the feature that actually make them stand out from regular HE bombs.

The 2 bombs that would benefit the most from this are:

500kg Type 2 Number 50 Model 1 GP (SAP)

Spoiler

This bomb should be able to penetrate up to 80mm of armour. 
image.thumb.png.04a4dda4119999c8533c8cf2

Navy Type 99 Number 80 AP

Spoiler

The Japanese stated this bomb could penetrate 150mm of armour. Had a tail fuze.
image.thumb.png.3b9ca417d606fa1ff57a98eb

These 2 bombs rely heavily on Kinetic force to be able to penetrate decks of ships but kinetic energy is not currently in the game.

I think this feature could be used on all bombs to give them more kinetic damage when hitting a target (the 2 bombs mentioned are mentioned in particular due to the nature of the type of bomb being AP/SAP specifically to bomb ships)

If you have any comments/concerns or questions feel free to ask in the comments.

Sources:

http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/B/o/Bombs.htm

http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/USNTMJ Reports/USNTMJ-200E-0465-0531 Report 0-23.pdf
https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/usnbd-japanese-bombs-and-fuzes.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

+1 I think the devs already have this in mind, at least for naval. They keep adding AP bombs like the US 1600lb AN-Mk 1 bomb on the AU-1 that would otherwise be entirely detrimental to take into a battle. 

Edited by Orphican
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

+1 without a doubt. 

Not only are bombs lacking kinetic penetration damage, but also so are all tank HE rounds. Bombs are usually 50% casing by weight, tank HE is usually 85-90% casing, and that solid steel doesn't just vanish upon impact and detonation - it keeps going with AP-like penetration. 

Hence I support adding both AP bomb penetration AND HE kinetic component penetration. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • Suggestion Moderator

Looks like it might be happening in the near future