Button to jettison Missiles (and other secondary weapons)

Do you want a button to jettison Missiles (and other secondary weapons), to be added to controls?   

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a button to jettison Missiles (and other secondary weapons), to be added to controls? 

In a combat aircrafts, there are many situations where you would want to get rid of you suspended weaponry, e.g.:

1- Your plane is loaded with air to ground secondary weapons, such as bombs, rockets and air to ground missiles, and you get into dogfight with an enemy aircraft. you would want to (as is usually the case even in real life) to get rid of your suspended weapons which are a source of excess mass and drag on your aircraft, to achieve the maximum flight performance of you aircraft, and be able to dogfight and defend yourself.
2- You are loaded with (too many) air to air missiles, but those missiles might not be effective and useful in that specific dogfight scenario (e.g. they are BVR missiles such as sparrows, or IR missiles with poor maneuverability, and you are in a close range dogfight). Thus you would rather get rid of those missiles which are dead weight in that specific scenario, to achieve higher flight performance and maneuverability and be able to dogfight better.
3- Your are returning to base with a damaged aircraft (e.g. asymmetrical wing damage), and some unused suspended weaponry. Getting rid of the excess weight can help you land easier and with a higher chance of success. 
4- You are short on fuel, or have a damaged engine, and getting rid of the excess drag can help you make it back to base.

Currently, you can get rid of the bombs, rockets, and manually guided missiles on your aircraft by simply dropping/firing them.

But this is currently not possible for homing missiles that require a lock before they can be fired (such as IR missiles, SARH missiles and homing air-to-ground missiles such as AGM-65). 
And in some cases (e.g. AIM-7 Sparrow, and AGM-65) they can have a considerable amount of parasitic drag and mass (more than 200 KG each), which can significantly affect your flight performance.

Spoiler

Xrobian.png

Djs0RT7.png

So I suggest adding a new "Jettison selected secondary weapon" button in controls, that would jettison the secondary weapon that is currently selected with "switch secondary weapons" button:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fb9886d8ed52334e2d5a7cf5

image.thumb.png.495f52bafbbceb660555b5dc

And if you have a number of that type of weapon selected, using "secondary weapon ripple quantity" button, it will jettison that number of the selected weapon (I'm demonstrating it using rockets, because currently the "secondary weapon ripple quantity" button doesn't let you select the number for missiles):

Spoiler

2dbWU9c.png

Additionally, pressing this new "Jettison selected secondary weapon", when you have unguided rockets selected, could jettison your rocket pods:

Spoiler

bW0kaim.png

Even in real-life you could simply jettison these kind of ordinances, without the need to actually get a lock on something and fire them:

Spoiler

From F-4E and F-8A/B manuals: 

G8tdxNE.png
gKM4lCO.jpg
eBCdmm4.jpg
uGbJs1Y.jpg

Do you want a button to jettison Missiles (and other secondary weapons), to be added to controls? 
Please vote and comment!

Edited by sudo__su
  • Upvote 15
medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

The mechanic to drop addon stuff is already in the game, was tested with drop tanks, but we have no maps that require drop tanks to begin with to have the mechanic enabled, i'd love to see it enabled for secondary and thirds. This isn't such a new idea, it was tossed around in the general discussions before, and historical sections, so on. Over all i say  +1  for the idea, would be a neat feature to just drop everything and get into a turn fight, instead of being weighted down with bricks on your wings.

Though it could also introduce new ways to attack, and play, for example, real life, when a pilot detach a bullpup mid flight, you can arm and disarm them with out rocket launch, so you could drop bullpups like bombs, you could also use drop tanks as bombs aswell

Examples

P-47s, they were equipped with small tanks, they would drop them near or on a target, fly away and swoop back and shoot them and they would explode like a fire bomb.

Spoiler

loDaXsv.png

They would also drop their tanks with bombs and give extra fire spread

Spoiler

E6XZxqt.png

That being said, you could do the same with bombs, you can drop a disarmed bomb in an area, come back and shoot it, you could also drop them in strategic areas for your teammates in ground battles or something and they could shoot the bomb if an enemy passed

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I think as war thunder is becoming more and more modern, this mechanic will become more and more useful. Gaijin should add it now, and make it ready for newer weapons, like the AMRAAM.

• Upvote 1
medal

On 28/05/2021 at 12:24, Warspawn said:

Would this include the secondary gun pods equipped on some variants?  Ju-87s, Me 109 F-4, F-82...ect.  I don't know of those could be jettisoned once they're out of ammo....

Thanks!

<S!>

~War~

I don't think that was an option back then, other than fuel tanks. Modern planes can definitely jettison things, I think some even have explosive bolts also for emergency situations where they need to remove everything asap and have a clean airframe. I have no idea on what and when different variations came into use.

+1 I support this being added. :good:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the ability to jettison weapons has been implemented with Update 2.19 Drone Age,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1