Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV Ausf. J - The Observant Panzer IV

DMYEugen

Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV Ausf. J  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this vehicle to be added?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What BR do you think it should be placed at?

• Other
    • I said no
  3. 3. How would you like to see this vehicle available?

• Tech Tree
    • Squadron
    • GE Premium
    • Pack Premium
    • Event
    • Battlepass
    • Twitch Drop
    • Other (Please explain)
    • I said no
  4. 4. How should the side skirts be treated?

• Should be available by default
    • Should be a modification
    • Shouldn't be available on the vehicle at all
    • I don't care / I don't know
    • I said no

TL;DR: An artillery observation variant of the Panzer IV J with improved periscopes, three radio sets, and no turret machine gun.

image_2021-08-04_183655.thumb.png.01c64b

History:

The Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV Ausf. J (Pz.Beob.Wg.IV Ausf.J) was an artillery observation vehicle based on the Panzer IV J. This variant underwent a few changes to better serve its new role, most notably the swapping of the original cupola with one found on the StuG III series of tank destroyers. Other modifications included: seven periscopes in place of the standard vision slits, an SF14Z scissor periscope (which could be raised without opening the cupola), artillery plotting equipment, an electrical generator, and three radio sets. All of the new equipment presented issues within the vehicle and, as such, the turret machine gun was removed as well as some ammunition. Oddly enough, the 75mm cannon was maintained. This vehicle was intended to work cooperatively with Wespe and Hummel SPGs. Work on this variant began in September of 1943 and 90-133 Panzer IV Js were converted from July 1944 to March 1945, making it one of the rarest Panzer IV service variants. The first example of the vehicle was captured in the Spring of 1945 by American forces in Belgium. This example featured no side-skirts, however, do note that some did.

Place In War Thunder:

This vehicle would be functionally identical to the Panzer IV J currently in-game, however, would still be unique in some aspects. For instance, the Pz.Beob.Wg.IV Ausf.J: would not be as susceptible to cupola shots due to the new cupola, could potentially make use of the "commander view" feature thanks to the SF14Z scissor periscope, would have to play around its lack of a turret machine gun, probably wouldn't get access to track extra track armor on the hull and turret, would have less ammunition, and might even get access to the "scouting" mechanic due to its nature as an observation vehicle. The playstyle itself wouldn't be anything too special, however. As such, I believe this would be best suited as a low-cost squadron vehicle since you're not missing anything if you don't decide to get it.

Specifications:

Spoiler

Armament: 7.5cm KwK40 L/48 and 1x 7.92mm MG13

Dimensions: 7.02m x 2.88m x 2.68m (L,W,H)

Weight: 25000kg

Armor: Same as in-game Panzer IV J.

Crew: 5 (Commander Observer, Assistant Observer, Driver, Radio Operator, and Radio Operator Gunner)

Ammunition: Same as in-game Panzer IV J.

Speed: Same as in-game Panzer IV J.

Horsepower: 320hp

Pictures:

Spoiler

Picture from the same photographer (Side skirts clearly visible):

image_2021-08-04_192832.thumb.png.d32116

Side View without side skirts:

image_2021-08-04_192544.thumb.png.06a12c

3/4th View:

image_2021-08-04_193203.thumb.png.fd4b9b

Close-Up of the turret:

image_2021-08-04_193315.thumb.png.5a21ca

Covered in snow(?):

image_2021-08-04_193436.thumb.png.a5e289

Top Down (Picture From Panzer Tracts 11-1):

image_2021-08-05_115632.thumb.png.ced29b

Front View (Picture From Panzer Tracts 11-1):

image_2021-08-05_115745.thumb.png.0175c2

Sid e View (Picture From Panzer Tracts 11-1):

image_2021-08-05_115943.thumb.png.37be00

Sources:

Edited by DMYEugen
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

Nice look, i wonder why they didn equip all Pz IV`s with the Stug Kopular. And what is meant with new periscopes instead of vision slits?

medal

27 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

Nice look, i wonder why they didn equip all Pz IV`s with the Stug Kopular. And what is meant with new periscopes instead of vision slits?

I believe that refers to the seven periscopes in the StuG Kopular. Though I'm not 100% sure as the wording was "with seven periscopes instead of the vision slits of the normal Panzer". It was likely just a roundabout way to say that the normal cupola with vision slits was replaced with the StuG III cupola that has seven periscopes. Though, since I wasn't 100% sure, I kept the wording more ambiguous.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It would be a good event/BP vehicle.  With the way Panzer BR's have been plummeting even 4.0 might be too high for it when it comes.  For now though it is reasonable.

Edited by Valcour
reworded
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...