7.5cm Pak 40 auf Light Tank Mk VI Mk 736 (e) - Not Quite Finished

DMYEugen

7.5cm Pak 40 auf Light Tank Mk VI Mk 736 (e)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this vehicle to be added?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What BR do you think it should be placed at?

• 2.0 or lower
    • 3.0 or higer
    • I said no
  3. 3. How would you like to see this vehicle available?

• Tech Tree
    • Squadron
    • GE Premium
    • Pack Premium
    • Event
    • Battlepass
    • Twitch Drop
    • Other (Please explain)
    • I said no

TL;DR: A German captured Light Tank Mk.VI with a 7.5cm PaK 40 plonked on top.

pak-01.jpg

Note: This is the only picture I could find of this tank. If you have any other significant information, please let me know.

History:

Following Germany's July 1940 victory in France, the 227th Infantry Division was assigned for occupation. Alfred Becker, the battery chief of the 12th Battery in the 15th Artillery Regiment of the aforementioned division came across a number of abandoned vehicles while his unit was performing coastal protection duties. As Becker was a mechanical engineer, it was clear for him to see the benefits of mounting his artillery pieces onto the abandoned vehicles. One of the vehicles that Becker found in abundance was the British Light Tank Mk VI. He mounted twelve of these vehicles with 10.5 cm leFH 16 cannons, turning them into the 10.5 cm leFH 16 Geschützwagen Mk VI 736 (e). This conversion is very well know, however, what isn't as well known is his experimental mounting of a 7.5cm Pak 40 onto the British light tank. It is unknown exactly when this conversion was made or if it was ever finished as the only photograph of it shows it in an unfinished state, however, we do know is that the photo was taken from inside a Becker workshop. The reasoning behind this conversion may be rather simple. Becker found plenty of other abandoned vehicles on which he mounted the Pak 40 such as the Lorraine 37L and FCM36. I find it rather likely that this conversion was simply an attempt to do the same to a Light Tank Mk VI.

Place In War Thunder:

I'm suggesting this vehicle under the pretense that it's an unfinished prototype. This vehicle would be akin to something like the ZiS-30 and would most likely play in a similar fashion. It would likely have decent mobility, however, the picture suggests poor gun depression so ridgelines might not be an option. Obviously, this vehicle isn't something that would be seen in the standard tech tree. I feel that the best implementation for this vehicle would be through an event or battlepass. It's not anything crazy but it is very unique since only a single example has ever been photographed.

For those unsure if the vehicle would be able to move under the weight of the gun and shells, do not worry. I'll compare the weights of the guns and shells present on the 10.5 cm leFH 16 Geschützwagen Mk VI 736 (e) with the ones that would be present on this one.

The 10.5 cm leFH 16 has a combat weight of 1,525kgs with its AP shell weighing 14.25kgs.

The 7.5cm Pak 40 has a combat weight of 1,425kgs with its APCBC shell weighing 6.80kgs.

The 10.5 cm leFH 16 Geschützwagen Mk VI 736 (e) is capable of moving at a speed of 56kph even with the weight of the larger gun and shells, not to mention the added superstructure. This means that the vehicle I'm suggesting could easily handle the weight of the 7.5cm Pak 40 and its shells.

Specifications:

Spoiler

Armament: 7.5cm Pak 40

Dimensions: 5.38m, 2.00m, 2.26m (L,W,H) (Dimensions of the 10.5 cm leFH 16 Geschützwagen Mk VI 736 (e). This vehicle is actually shorter.)

Weight: 4930~kg

Armor: 4-14mm

Crew: At least 3 (Gunner, Loader, Driver, and maybe a Commander)

Ammunition: APCBC, APCR, HEAT

Speed: 56~kph

Horsepower: 88hp

Sources:

Edited by DMYEugen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.

Rank 3 3.7 TD with more speed would be cool for those who will never get that other important Rank 3 puma vehicle which was only released in some obscure event 5 years ago...

• Upvote 1
medal

35 minutes ago, police2689 said:

+1

But, do we even know what it looks like? Or just a 10.5cm version with a different gun maybe?

This is one of the reasons I hesitated when making this suggestion. There's almost nothing known about the vehicle. If we were to see it in game, it'd likely be more or less what we see in the picture. Just a Pak 40 plonked onto a Light Tank Mk. VI with no added cabin.

Edited by DMYEugen
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 7 months later...