__Zero_Two__002

Kaliningrad R-55 / R-55M for MIG-21 PFM & BIS  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Kaliningrad R-55 / R-55M for MIG-21 PFM

• MIG-21 PFM be given R-55 / R-55M (18g missiles) and placed at 9.7 (to counter Av-8s and harriers)
    • MIG-21 PFM be given R-55 / R-55M (18g missiles) and remain at 9.3 (to avoid being dragged into 10.0 battles)

Kaliningrad R-55 / R-55M (NATO codename: "AA-1 Akali")

The RS-2US was becoming a very old missile using outdated guidance techniques. On the other hand, the R-3S missile proved to be inadequate as more advanced Sidewinder missiles such as the AIM-9D and AIM-9E began appearing over Vietnam in the mid 60s. Specifically, in 1966, the Soviets managed to acquire a couple of AIM-9D missiles from aircraft wreckages and immediately began working on an improved K-13 missile based on the AIM-9D. However, it seemed like the new Object 380 missile under development (what would later become the R-13M) wasn't going to enter production until a few years later. Using experience learned from the more advanced Sidewinders, Soviet engineers took to the decision to fill the void with a missile better than the R-3S using existing examples. 

2SU9tab.png

To this end, the RS-2US missile was used as the basis of the new "Object (izdeliye / product) 67" missile. A new infrared-homing seeker, designated TGS-59 was installed, along with a new Zarya optical fuse. The new missile had a new wing and rudders with an increased area and more powerful steering drives. Compared to its older brother, it retained only the PRD-45 engine. To maintain the alignment of the rocket, the volumes of the tail compartment freed from the equipment were occupied by an additional high-explosive fragmentation warhead.

In tests, the new AAM proved effective against targets maneuvering at 3G. It also retained the maximum 18G overload of its predecessor. In addition, due to the lower load on the missile's "wings", it significantly surpassed the R-3S in maneuverability and had a longer range. The missile was designated R-55, and was put into production in the year 1967, then put into service in 1969. Production last until 1976 at Kaliningrad's plant. A MiG-21PFM numbered "3532" and a MiG-21bis "24" tested it. 

It served as the main offensive platform of the Su-9 (late config), Su-11 and the early Su-24. As a matter of fact, it was the forefront of the MiG-21bis' missile selection until the arrival of the Vympel R-60 in December 1973. 

iY6EU33.png

In 1971, there was a proposed upgrade to the R-55 called the R-55M. It introduced a new S-59M seeker with better/higher lock range. However since the R-13M1 and R-60 were close to entering production, there was little use seen in mass-producing it. 

Performance R-55

• Length: 2 m (78.7 in)

• Wingspan: 3.1 m (122 in)

• Body Diameter: 200 mm (7.87 in)

• Weight: 92 kg (203 lb)
  • Speed: Mach 1.6

• Burn time: 4.5 - 7s

• Flight time: 30s

• Propulsion: PRD-45 single stage solid rocket propellant motor (thrust: ?)

• Warhead:  9.1 kg (20 lb)

• Guidance: Infrared-Homing

• Seeker:

• FOV: 2.5°

• Gimbal limit: 40°

• Tracking rate: 12°/s

• Cooling: nitrogen-cooled

• Range: 10 km max (6.2 mi)
  • G overload (launch limit): 3G
  • G overload (target): 3G
  • G overload (Air): 18G

• IRCM: No

• ECCM: No

• Aspect: Rear-Aspect

• In service: MiG-21PFM, MiG-21bis, Su-9, Su-11, Su-24 sans suffix

LPEgEha.png

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, The_Hunter00009@psn said:

A Historical Report That also includes more details on the missile that was passed for consideration.

Oh my, thx so much , the MIG-21 PFM is one my favorite aircraft in-game, ever since i unlocked it from operation winter. 

• Upvote 2

On 14/09/2021 at 18:37, VEXTOR4223 said:

Oh my, thx so much , the MIG-21 PFM is one my favorite aircraft in-game, ever since i unlocked it from operation winter. 

Together with @CMDR_Atkinsonwe made this report. You can ask for details if you want.

In this magazine was found information that R-55 was tested on MiG-21PFM with number 3523.

cover.jpg Zhurnal-Tehnika-i-vooruzhenie-_Tehnika-i-vooruzhenie-2005-09.pdf

Edited by csla1972
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...