CV90 AMOS, because a single 120mm gun is just not enough

CaID

would you like to see the CV90 AMOS been added to the game?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see the CV90 AMOS been added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes as premium/events vehicles
    • No

617583826f6775fbbd78e7b6ab13b5b1.jpg

i would like to suggest a rather uncommon SPG for the Swedish tree. the CV90 AMOS

z3AYYul.jpg

The CV90 AMOS is a a mortar carrier built in collabaration between the Swedish Hägglunds and the Finnish Patria. the concept was to create a versatil multi-platform turret capable to provide ripid fire-rate, high firepower and quick deployment turret for export. the AMOS system is designating the turret only ( A dvance MO rtar S ystem) but was ordered by Sweden for their domestic need. the AMOS system was ordered in 2016 and delivered in 2019 in sweden to be mounted on the Strf 9040 but also a few for other trial purpose. 40 turret was ordered by sweden and currently equipe the Swedish army. the extremly high rate of fire, balistic computer, various choice of propelling chage and high caliber, allow the CV90 AMOS to match 4-5 mortar together in effiency. it also provide a high mobility and fullt protected crew. the CV90 AMOS can fire up to 6 rounds to hit the target simultanoustly and move away even before they do hit the target. In sweden they are operating in pair and can fire at a range up to 10km away. they also have dirrect-fire capacity against tanks for self protection and can used HEAT rounds as well as smarth ammunition and any standard 120mm rounds.

Firepower

the Firepower is focused on the AMOS turret which the gun, 120mm Smoothbore mortar have no know name other the 120mm AMOS. they are working in pair and can fire together or one at the time . the fire-rate reach 26 rounds per minute s and it can fire the first 4 rounds in only 5 seconds . the elevation of -5°/+85° can allow direct fire capacity for self-defence. it can fire any standard 120mm mortar Ammunition including Pansarsprängvinggranat m/94 STRIX who is a seeker rounds with HEAT warhead with a penetration of 700mm of armour with ERA capacity . the STRIX is not any rounds, it is a smart round who can detect enemy tank and terminally guided  correct his course to hit the vehicle while ignoring the burning tank. carrying 80 to 90 rounds of which 30 are in the autoloader of the turret and the rest in the rear of the tank. the velocity is reaching a speed between 480-500 m/sec (but can be calculated to around 600 m/sec on the video)

Protection

been designed to resist 12,7mm rounds in the front (red area in the picture above) for their IFV, the frontal armour Reach 20 mm at the front. while the side designed to resist LMG rounds, would  reach 10 + 6mm of armour . technically a 12.7mm would not be a great treat against this vehicles. the armour thickness was remaining around 20mm at the horizontal part . a great feature of the CV90 who earn him success in export was the small size who was much smaller than the contemporary western IFV of his time. maned by a crew of 4 , 1 men is is the front of the hull while 2 other are in the turret. and a last one in the rear. those are respectfully the driver, gunner, commander and loader.

Mobility

been rather light with only 26 tonnes , the CV90 AMOS is powered by a Scania DSI14 8-cylinder Diesel engine giving 550 hp . with a power/weight ratio of 21.15 hp/tons . this high power/weight allow a excellent mobility even off road. capable to reach 70 km/h , this vehicles would never be the last of the race. the top speed shall been reach rather fast with his good acceleration due to the high power/weight. equipped with the Perkins automatic gearbox the CV90 AMOS offer 4 gear forward and 2 gear backward . this allow a reverse speed who is also very good at 45 km/h in reverse . this would allow a satisfying flexibility in the mobility.

Specifications
Mass 26 tonnes
Length 6.55 m (21.5 ft)
Width 3.1 m (10 ft)
Height 2.7 m (8 ft 10 in)
Crew
  • 4 (commander, gunner, driver, loader)

Main
armament
120mm smoothbore mortar gun
Secondary
armament
another 120mm smoothbore mortar gun
Engine Scania DS14 14 litres diesel I6
550 (410)
Power/weight 21.15 hp/t
Transmission Automatic Perkins X300
Suspension torsion bar
Operational
range
320 km (200 mi)
Maximum speed 70 km/h (43 mph)

source

https://www.pmulcahy.com/mortar_carriers/swedish_mortar_carriers.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOS

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1191.html

http://fighting-vehicles.com/combat-vehicle-90/

http://www.military-today.com/artillery/amos.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20071013061249/http://defense-update.com/features/du-1-04/mortar-munitions.htm

Edited by CaID
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1 but without the STRYX ammo for obvious reasons and the RoF will also have to be tammed down a tad.

Edited by Tantor57
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Tantor57 said:

but without the STRYX ammo for obvious reasons and the RoF will also have to be tammed down a tad.

For firerate I think the continuous firerate of 12 rounds / minute / gun should be enough.

The STRYX round is only for indirect fire, so I agree that it should not be included.

1 hour ago, CaID said:

the velocity is (calculated from the video) reaching a speed between 600 and 700 m/sec

Its a mortar, so that speed sounds excessive

Nammo (Nordic Ammunition Company) has two HE projectiles and one smoke projectile that are certified for the AMOS that could provide a nice upgrade path ingame as well. Normal HE stock and better HE + Smoke as upgrades. They also mention the speed of the projectile, and the maximum for the 120mm mortar is 500 m/s with the extended range ammunition (the "upgraded HE")

Spoiler

normal HE

grafik.png.f4ecbbfac3248b266c89076fbc041

HE with extended range (more speed), larger warhead

grafik.png.6f2b9c82216d1837767fd3a3fe9b0

and Smoke

grafik.png.3c7673aa771b02e3cc2f245a8afc7

The rounds come with proximity or time fuse, but I feel like point detonation fuses might be better fitting to how the game works

medal

• Technical Moderator

There is some indication that the strix (120 mm psvinggr m/94) round can be fired directly, although with limitations obviously. See 0:18 (Prov 3 direkteld/direct fire) and 2:57.

• Like 2

• Technical Moderator
4 minutes ago, L963 said:

Huh, thats interesting, I expected it to work similar to the SMart 155 but apparently I was wrong. Still I dont think such a round is required

Also, are there any information what optics it could use for direct fire?

There is, but i dont have it at hand. However the vehicle was fitted with a direct fire sight and it actually had a secondary role as an assault gun.

Here is the muzzle velocity btw.

vhFHFw3.jpg

45 minutes ago, blockhaj said:

There is, but i dont have it at hand. However the vehicle was fitted with a direct fire sight and it actually had a secondary role as an assault gun.

Here is the muzzle velocity btw.

vhFHFw3.jpg

it seem to be the muzzle velocity of the field mortar. the AMOS have a different velocity

1 hour ago, L963 said:

Its a mortar, so that speed sounds excessive

just count the time between the fire and the hit. the target is 1000m away. personally i get near 1.4 sec

Edited by CaID

This gives a big +1 for me

Another great thing is that the AMOS mortar system is fitted on other chasses as well

Patria AMV with AMOS mortar system

Spoiler

7ceb445681e35c21d38eb9ce50738799.jpg

XA-200 with AMOS mortar system

Spoiler

Xa-20_Amos_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_mort

The AMOS is also fitted on some Swedish PT boats as well

Spoiler

yXww3xXQCuq2QGSp9WVLKT1wtNSeAfItCZrlc4fR

Finally the NEMO, (which is just a Single barrel variant of the AMOS) can be a Premium or Event Vehicle, it is fitted on a Patria AMV chassis as well as some Finnish and Swedish PT boats and landing craft

Spoiler

62297_O.jpg Nemo-120-mm-Turreted-Mortar-System.jpg

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

36 minutes ago, AspandaIV said:

This gives a big +1 for me

Another great thing is that the AMOS mortar system is fitted on other chasses as well

Patria AMV with AMOS mortar system

Reveal hidden contents

XA-200 with AMOS mortar system

Reveal hidden contents

The AMOS is also fitted on some Swedish PT boats as well

Reveal hidden contents

Finally the NEMO, (which is just a Single barrel variant of the AMOS) can be a Premium or Event Vehicle, it is fitted on a Patria AMV chassis as well as some Finnish and Swedish PT boats and landing craft

Reveal hidden contents

all good vehicles. but those are more from Finland than Sweden. except one boat tested by Sweden, the CV90 was the only vehicle using the AMOS in Sweden

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaID said:

all good vehicles. but those are more from Finland than Sweden. except one boat tested by Sweden, the CV90 was the only vehicle using the AMOS in Sweden

Don't forget the AMOS mortar system is a joint Finnish-Swedish venture hence why I mentioned them here, also gaijin stated a while back that they'll add Finnish vehicles to the Swedish TT for the foreseeable future

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, AspandaIV said:

Don't forget the AMOS mortar system is a joint Finnish-Swedish venture hence why I mentioned them here, also gaijin stated a while back that they'll add Finnish vehicles to the Swedish TT for the foreseeable future

indeed. but even if nearly all the Finish vehicles are added to the Swedish tree, Gaijin never acknowledged the the Swedish tree is a multiple nation TT. meaning the Finish vehicles aren't reserved to Sweden as for now.

with the CV90 AMOS been in service in Sweden and been about 80% Swedish design, there is no need to have counterpart with 20% of Swedish design.

and on top of it, the Finish never used the Strix. meaning there is no know rounds with proper anti-tank capacity used on those one. i do not think a AMOS with only HE rounds would be a great addition for the game. but there is nothing that stop people for suggesting it.

if you suggest it to the Swedish section, they shall be moved to the "other nation" section upon approval. just like my suggestion of the CV9030 and CV9035 was moved there last week.

• 5 weeks later...

That'd be far too meta breaking, imo. Remember how mad people got at the TOW-2B? Or how Spikes aren't going to be added to the game? Being able to ultra hull down and get passive kills reliably is a bit unfair to those actually playing the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

+1, I would love to see it in-game, even tho honestly I don't think Gaijin will ever implement the STRIX with it's tracking and guiding capability. Thinking about the STRIX as a regular HEAT only and not a guided munition, the CV90 AMOS would be like a BMP-1, but with 2 120 cannons and a laser rangefinder, but without the ATGM. But, if Gaijin implement the guiding capability of the STRIX, then yes I see it being an extremely OP vehicle, since you can just sit hull down and yeet shots from behind cover and see the ammo being guided to it's target.

medal medal medal

• 2 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

This suggestion has been passed to the developers for consideration :salute:

• Upvote 3