MD 410 Spirale: Wolf in sheep's clothing

panzerknoef

Do you want to MD 410 Spirale to be added to the game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to MD 410 Spirale to be added to the game?

• Yes, as a tech tree vehicle.
    • Yes, as a premium/event vehicle.
    • No.

Welcome to another suggestion for what is, in my opinion, a very interesting french aircraft: the MD 410 Spirale.

SpiraleWithSNEB.jpg.01c49bf165b98cd6b872

As a result of the outbreak of war in Algeria, the French government issued a requirement for a twin engined aircraft capable of performing ground attack missions. The requirements for the aircraft were as follows: weight under 5 tonnes, range of 1,080 nm, cruising speed of 216 knots and weapons including two 30-mm cannons, bombs and rockets or air-to-ground missiles. Dassault responded to this request with the MD410 Spirale. The twin-turboprop aircraft had a weight of 5.5 tons, was capable of speeds up 500 kph and could carry a host of weaponry on its 4 underwing hardpoints as well as having twin 30mm DEFA cannons mounted at the bottom of the fuselage. Other competitors for this request also arose in the shape of the previously suggested Sud-Ouest Voltigeur, Sipa S1100, Potez 75 and Morane-Saulnier 1500. A few others were also suggested but didn't make it past the design table. The same airframe also resulted in the MD 415 Communauté. Primarily a liaison aircraft but with a secondary role of ground attack. What this meant is that the aircraft had the same hardpoints as the Spirale, but lacked the fuselage mounted guns that the Spirale did have. 

On May 26, 1959, seeing that their respective corporations were working on the same type of program (the Voltigeur and the Communauté) and for reasons of increased efficiency and cost-effectiveness, Marcel Dassault and Sud-Aviation CEO Georges Héreil decided to join forces to build a twin-engine aircraft for two different missions :

- liaison, training and ground attack. This aircraft was flown by GAMD under the name Communauté

- ground attack and multi-purpose missions along the lines of Sud Aviation’s Voltigeur, also produced as a model by GAMD under the name Spirale

Eventually in 1960, the French government decided to buy aircraft from the surplus the United states air force to perform these ground attack missions, thereby also rejecting all the French domestic proposals. Given the advanced stage of work, many of the manufacturers still involved decided to still press on with development of their aircraft and  achieved first flight. For the Spirale, this feat was achieved at Bordeaux-Mérignac on April 8, 1960, with Paul Boudier and Gilles Brecq at the controls. The air force nonetheless showed interest albeit in a slightly modified version, later named Spirale III. This would basically be the same design, but 1.3 times larger. However, this program too was shortly thereafter put to a hold because of a lack in funding. No further development was undertaken on this aircraft, despite interest from several other nations. The Spirale III remained a paper project. 

Now, as far as armament goes for this aircraft. The aircraft was by default armed with 2x 30mm DEFA cannons, mounted under the fuselage. In the main image, you can see the bulges extruding from the bottom, these are the gun housings. On top of that, the aircraft featured 6 wing hardpoints that could carry bombs: 2x 1000lb, 4x 500lb and 24x 100lb (50kg) bombs, rockets: up to 6x 37mm SNEB pods (as seen in image, matra 361), 68mm SNEBs in up to 6 pods containing 7 rockets each and finally 4x SS.11 or 4x SS.12. 

What this aircraft would bring to the game is a light and nimble ground attack platform with a unique look. The twin 30mm guns should allow it to do a good amount of gun damage vs lightly armored targets and provides a way for the aircraft to protect itself from other aircraft, to top it all off the nice array of suspended armament will allow you to successfully attack heavily armored targets as well. 

General  Characteristics: 

Engine: Turbomeca Bastan (930hp each, boosted to 1000hp with water injection)

Width: 16,40 m

Length: 13,00 m

Height: 4,30 m

Empty mass: 3.900 kg

Total Mass: up to 6.300 kg

Max cruise speed: 520 km/h at 1500m, 500km/h at sea level

Rate of climb at 0m: 11,5 m/s

Max altitude: 11.000 m

Range: 2.000 km

(Full flight performance characteristics can be found in the pdf linked in sources)

Armament:

2x 30mm DEFA (200rpg)

3 hardpoints on each wing, capable of carrying up to 1000lbs of combined mass, these could carry the following:

- 2x 1000lb bombs

- 4x 500lb bombs

- 24x 50kg (100lb) bombs

- 2x 450l Napalm bombs

- up to 6x36 37mm SNEBs (loadout with 4x36 37mm SNEBs shown in picture). Maximum loadout is achieved with the Matra type 361 pods, but a payload consisting of type 181 pods (capacity of 16 rockets) is likely also possible, since these pods were interchangeable.

- up to 6x7 68mm SNEBs

- up to 4x6 T10 rockets

- up to 8x2 5" HVAR rockets (like on wing hardpoints of F-84G) 

- up to 4x SS.11

- up to 4x SS.12

Update:

The wonderful people at Dassault have replied to my questions and have sent over an entire pdf of documentation on the aircraft (will be linked in the sources tab, a member of the research discord has already linked a page of it in the comments as well) which allows me to get rid of all the speculation in this topic and replace it with hard facts, consider that done when you read this. If I've still missed something from documentation that needs fixing, feel free to comment and I shall correct it. 

Extra pictures:

Spoiler

SpiraleInFlight.jpg.be1e2113c5bc95645e9d

PhR_Spirale--1-.jpg.04241ca686182a41435e

image2.jpg.d404cad02ed4de66df823d2c1546d

image3.jpg.4355ea44f46783dad8f523c1226e3

Primary source: 

Spirale_dossier de présentation.pdf

Obtained directly from Dassault, many thanks to them for this! 

Other sources:

Edited by panzerknoef
Noted the Dassault provided pdf as primary source
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion :salute:

• Thanks 2

Certainly a great strike aircraft proposal, however it would be a bit difficult to balance, given the massive discrepancy between firepower and performance.

medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Arghail said:

Certainly a great strike aircraft proposal, however it would be a bit difficult to balance, given the massive discrepancy between firepower and performance.

Yeah I understand the sentiment, but as the user above this comment said, should work at 5.0 to 6.0. I believe the firepower is more than capable of making up for the mediocre flight performance. In my mind it's gonna be somewhat like the AD-4, but with some flight performance lost in exchange for armament, would fit with the time period as well to put it at a similar br. 

medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Arghail said:

Ever heard of the Sturmovik? 
Slow and heavy ground attack aircraft with basically no payload ; 5.0 in its IL-10 configuration.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, FouManchou said:

Ever heard of the Sturmovik? 
Slow and heavy ground attack aircraft with basically no payload ; 5.0 in its IL-10 configuration.

Well yes, the Il-10 certainly is a powerful CAS aircraft, for sure. But It's also heavily armored (something this plane is not), and its CAS capabilities are inferior in every way compared to this one, be it its rockets, its bombs or its canons. It's an aircraft coherent with its BR and the tanks it faces, because it was designed to fight them them.

This one is not. It's a colonial patrol aircraft. We're talking about an aircraft armed with DEFA canons, which performances would be far above anything flying at this tier, and which would be in ground RB throwing AP rounds with a good 30-40mm of pen at a much, much higher RoF. Same goes for the SNEB rockets and the bombs which (if added) would be far more efficient than anything the IL-10 could throw on the battlefield.

I'm not saying it's impossible to add. I'm saying to be careful where this thing gets put.

6 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Yeah I understand the sentiment, but as the user above this comment said, should work at 5.0 to 6.0. I believe the firepower is more than capable of making up for the mediocre flight performance. In my mind it's gonna be somewhat like the AD-4, but with some flight performance lost in exchange for armament, would fit with the time period as well to put it at a similar br. 

It could fit in that bracket, yes. Though as you said, there's already the AD-4 here, not to mention the F4U-7. It would fit in the end more as a premium aircraft rather than a tech tree one I think. It's the only way Gaijin will bother even acknowledging its existence anyway, given that this one is absolutely not in any ways juicy enough.

Edited by Arghail
medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Arghail said:

It could fit in that bracket, yes. Though as you said, there's already the AD-4 here, not to mention the F4U-7. It would fit in the end more as a premium aircraft rather than a tech tree one I think. It's the only way Gaijin will bother even acknowledging its existence anyway, given that this one is absolutely not in any ways juicy enough.

Well I'm not going against your opinion just reminds you that the more juicy stuff have better chance to get premium, and the less one have more chance to end up in the tree :)

• Like 1
medal medal

12 hours ago, Arghail said:

You're right about that, there's already other aircraft at that br fulfilling that role. However, I would very much like an actual French design to be there as well, just to add a bit more uniqueness to the tree. 

Whether or not Gaijin will bother acknowledging it is another matter ofc... You're right that it's not a famous vehicle in any way, which also doesn't make it a good premium candidate. In the end that's Gaijin's call against our opinions anyway, so it's useless to discuss it, but I get your point. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

from Dassault report, the top speed was 530 km/h at 3000m and 520 km/h at 1500m

fTUUui4.png

Edited by CaID
  • Thanks 2

Post updated with new information obtained from Dassault. The full pdf that they have provided, which features complete data on flight performances, suspended armament and much more can be found in the sources tab.

• Thanks 3
medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Post updated with new information obtained from Dassault. The full pdf that they have provided, which features complete data on flight performances, suspended armament and much more can be found in the sources tab.

as the PDF was provided by the builder and show details of the test from the first hand, that should be considered as primary source.

you should point it would to be a primary source and put it in his own part of the source so people AND the developer could refer to it directly in priority over the other source.

with this single source, all other source become unneeded and useless.

also on optional specification details, i would show the speed of 520 km/h at 1500m reported in the PDF. that show the different speed variation on the different altitude indicating the speed shall be around 500km/h at sea level

Edited by CaID
  • Thanks 1

4 x SS12, Now that's interesting, without a doubt. These are big, mean anti-ship missiles with slightly less explosive filler than a Nord Missile, it would certainly be quite... aggressive in ground battles.

Edited by Arghail
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

+1 for this planes and news informations here: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5323425d.r=MD 415 Communauté?rk=21459;2

Theses informations mainly concern the MD 415 Communauté. However Communauté and Spirale have 90% of common parts. At the page 26 you can see this:

1561994130_Spiralearmement.png.d37f97956

In summary for non french speaker, the plane can carry  under the fuselage 2x30 mm guns or 4x12,7 (separated in pairs) with ammo in the cabin on the side floors.

PS I will translate other part of the main article when i have time but not right away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5323425d.r=MD 415 Communauté?rk=21459;2

Here we go for the translation

First, 3 interesting things:

1: The plans for the plane were drawn in just one afternoon and 8 months later the plane was finished.

2 I have already said it but it is important so I repeat myself, the MD410 spiral shares 90% of common part with the MD 415 Communauté:

For Dassault and his team, the idea was to save money by offering a military aircraft that would have 90% of common parts with its business aircraft.

So don't be surprised, if I'm talking more about the MD 415 Communauté than the MD 410 Spiral, but it's the same plane and what applies to one also applies to the other.

3 Notice to developers : to create this plane, Marcel Dassault and this team used the  accumulated experience acquired during the construction of their jets.

Usually the aviations companies have used the experience acquired on propeller planes to create jets, there it is the reverse. Also the MD415 / 410 borrows several elements of jets manufactured by Dassault aviation which are ALREADY in the game.

Then, plane dissection:

1082011748_Communautcoupe.png.c41ad3a940

Spoiler

1 Glazed front nose

21 Reverse flight accumulator

41 Balance ailerons (fins)

61 Battery

81 Fin defroster

2 ILS flat ice antenna 

22 Propeller Racier Figeac

42 Aileron bearing

62 HF Tunning box

82 VHF Antenna

3 Landing gear front wheel cylinder

23 Turboprop « Turbomeca « Bastan » » 850 horsepower

43 Spoiler cylinder

63 Control Box

83 Direction return

4 Landing gear front wheel strut 

24 Turboprop mounting bracket

44 Spoiler

64 SFENA Gyrometer

84 Relay command

5 Front landing gear cylinder

25 Extinguisher

45 Flaps

65 Converter

85 Horizontal plane guide compass

6 Front landing gear strut

26 Hydraulic cover

46 Flaps guide rail

66 Recorders

86 Electric cylinder of the horizontal plane

7 Front landing gear

27 Main landing gear cylinder

47 Fuel tank

67 VHF antenna

87 Direction return

8 Trap door 

28 Landing gear leg

48 Main gear hatch and housing

68 Adjustable horizontal plane

88 Steering Depth Control Relay

9 Steering pedal assembly

29 Landing gear Shock absorber

49 Exhauster

69 Flaps Balance

89 Valve and cabin pressure regulator

10 Half steering wheel pilote

30 Diabolo

50 Fuel tank central plan

70 Shutters of depths

90 Drywall

11 Broomstick base housing

31 Electrical armament box

51 Airbrake control cylinders and wheelhouse

71 Return of Depths

91 Passenger door

12 Main landing gear trap door cylinder

32 Valve box (venting the tanks)

52 Airbrakes

72 Depht bellcrank

92 Cargo door

13 Main trap door of landing gear

33 Defrost solenoid valve

53 Rear wing attachment

73 Horizontal plane joint

93 Antenna HF

14 Pilot's left side console

34 Spoiler command return

54 Elevator and rudder connecting rod

74 Artificial reaction direction

94 Primary exchangers

15 Flying command connecting rod

35 Warping connecting rod

55 Command return

75 Linear steering cylinders

95 Mixer tap

16 Warping return

36 Warping return

56 Ladder incorporated

76 Direction connecting rod

96 Silencer kit

17 Front wing attachment

37 « Goodrick » Defroster

57 Waterproof relay box for controls

77 Steering servo control

97 Refrigirator group

18 Propeller feathering capsule

38 Ailerons attack connecting rod

58 Control connecting rod

78 Direction bearings

98 Electro hydraulic pump

19 Main wing attachment

39 Ailerons (fins)

59 Electrical box

79 Rudder

99 Steering antenna

20 Left fuel jerrycan

40 Automatic tab

60 VHF Station

80 UHF Antenna

100 Compas radio frame (Automatic Direction Finder)

101 Tab control (trim tab)

102 Electric trim tab motor

103 Seat mounting rail

104 Radio navigation cabinet

105 Electrical cabinet

106 Crew emergency evacuation

107 Oil radiator (cooler)

108 Turbine cowling

Then: turboprop installation and main gear kinematics

1407171712_Cinmatiquetrain.png.fe7c22201

Spoiler

1 Turboprop « Turbomeca « Bastan » »

2 Firewall

3 Fasteners (or clips) Turboprop

4 thermal insulation

5 exhauster

6 Ventilation inlet (for the pipe)

7 Ventilation outlet

8 Flaps ( note the value of 35°)

9 Main landing gear lift cylinders

10 Landing gear strut

11 Steering bar (or rod)

12 Landing gear leg

13 Shock absorber

14 Landing gear box in high position

15 Landing gear rod

I will translate the rest a little later.

Edited by Drasleon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
medal medal

• 5 months later...

+1 pretty cool they gave you a PDF straight from the manufacturer nice!

Edited by Fireraid233
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 25/06/2022 at 03:59, Fireraid233 said:

+1 pretty cool they gave you a PDF straight from the manufacturer nice!

Yeah it was so nice of them! Imagine my excitement when that mail came in! It should also have pretty much all the info in it that Gaijin needs to implement the aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

1956625677_Canonspirale.PNG.8d7fa91f5fbeLadies and gentlemen, the spiral has port machine guns, I repeat it has port machine guns YES YES

So for information here is the photo of a mock up used during the first tests. The first tests took place on flight 76 but the first real ammunition tests took place during flight 92 on December 16, 1960 with a 20 mm MG 151 cannon. The tests proved to be uncomfortable for the shooter but he would have hit several times his target. Source Le Fana de l'aviation 206 & 207

Edited by Drasleon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

• 1 month later...

Here the cokpit:

736653200_CokpitSpirale.PNG.f3ed88b40a83

38944602_Observateurspirale.PNG.bf7c8dcbCan we take a moment to discuss the position of the observer?

Source: Le fana de l'aviation 206 p 25

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

16 hours ago, Drasleon said:

Here the cokpit:

736653200_CokpitSpirale.PNG.f3ed88b40a83

38944602_Observateurspirale.PNG.bf7c8dcb Can we take a moment to discuss the position of the observer?

Source: Le fana de l'aviation 206 p 25

Nice find, if this aircraft does get added i hope it get's a fully detailed cockpit and maybe some other deets behind the cockpit

Also posts like this just reminds me that a lot of frontline bombers and even some ground attack vehicles still have their placeholder cockpits

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal