M1A2 SEP: America's Liberator

Yontzee

M1A2 SEP: America's Liberator  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the M1A2 SEP in-game?

• Yes!
    • No!

***This post was designed to meet moderator criteria***

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States_svg.png. M1A2 SEP: America's Liberator

134014174A3F98728A

An M1A2 SEP "Absolute Delta" in Iraq.

• Description
    • The M1A2 SEP (System Enhancement Package) is the upgraded version of the baseline M1A2 Abrams. Entering service in 1999, the M1A2 SEP was designed to be "next generation" equipment due to the new digital architecture allowing continuous enhancements. Due to the success of the design, a multi-year contract was awarded in 2001 allowing the manufacture of new M1A2 SEP main battle tanks, and, post 2004 conversions of previous tanks such as the baseline M1A2 Abrams and the series of M1A1 Abrams. The M1A2 SEP saw active service in Operation Iraqi Freedom, especially heavy combat in urban areas which the vehicle performed surprising well. Especially after being equipped with TUSK I Armor Packages. It is not known if the M1A2 SEP has been equipped with TUSK II. Several M1A2 SEP's, alongside USMC M1A1's were also used during the Anbar Campaign, Battle of Sadr City, and several other battles. However, by late 2008, most M1A2 SEP's were moved to patrol and security duties due to the winding down of violence. The U.S. Army currently still uses the M1A2 SEP, with just under 600 still in service supplementing the M1A2 SEPv2. These vehicles however, will eventually be upgraded to the SEPv3 and SEPv4 standard.
    • Some upgrades/additions the M1A2 SEP has over the base model M1A2:
      • 3rd Generation Depleted Uranium Armor Inserts
      • Digitized Fire Control System
      • COE Digital Open Architecture
      • 2nd Generation Thermals/Block I FLIR for Gunner and Commander
        • Hunter Killer Capability
      • Reinforced Allison DDA X-1100-3C Transmission
      • Under Armor Auxiliary Power Unit (UAAPU)
      • Thermal Management System (TMS)
      • Turret and Hull addon Armor
      • Tusk I Armor Package (Cannot be equipped with M153 CROWS RWS)
      • M829A3 APFSDS Round
  • Armament:
    • Main Weapon: 120 mm M256 L/44 Smoothbore Gun (w/ 42rds)
      • Rounds:
        • M829A3 APFSDS-T
        • M830 HEAT-T
        • M830A1 HEAT-MP-T
        • M908 HE-ORT
        • M1028 Cannister
      • Depression/Elevation: -10°/20°
    • Additional Weapons:
      • Coaxial 7.62mm M240C Medium Machine Gun
      • 12.7mm M2HB Heavy Machine Gun
      • 7.62mm M240C Medium Machine Gun
  • Maneuverability:
    • Engine: 1,500hp Honeywell AGT1500C Gas Turbine Engine
    • Transmission: Allison DDA X-1100-3C (8-forward, 4-reverse)
    • Chassis: High-hardness-steel Torsion Bars w/ Rotary Shock Absorbers
    • Max Speed: 68km/h
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 7.93m (9.77m w/ Gun Forward)
    • Width: 3.7m
    • Height: 2.4m
    • Weight: 62.2t (67.7t w/ TUSK) [Updated due to @Jackvony]
  • Crew (4x):
    • Commander
    • Driver
    • Gunner
    • Loader
  • Features:
    • 3rd Generation Depleted Uranium Armor inserts in the Hull and Turret
      • Capable of stopping most Kinetic Energy rounds currently in-game. Mainly in the Turret Cheeks.
    • Optics (Block I FLIR for Commander and Gunner):
      • Gunner: Raytheon Gunner's Primary Sight- Line of Sight (GPS-LOS) (2nd Generation Thermal Imager)
      • Commander: Raytheon Commander’s Independent Thermal Viewer (2nd Generation Thermals)
      • Driver: AN/VVS-2(V)2A Night Vision Periscope (Standard Night Vision Device)
    • Optional Tusk I Package (options are not applied to all vehicles, variations in levels of TUSK equipment may occur due to mission requirements):
      • Tusk I:
        • M-19 Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles (ARAT)
          • Covers the hull sides in Reactive armor tiles that provides a minimum of 260mm protection against HEAT rounds.
        • Remote Controlled M2HB
          • Additional 12.7mm M2HB placed over the main gun for a total of 4 Machine Guns (2x 12.7mm Machine Guns & 2 7.62mm Machine Guns).
        • Loader’s Armored Gun Shield
          • Protection shield around the M240C to protect the loader against small arms fire.
        • Engine Compartment SLAT Armor
          • Covers the engine compartment to protect against HEAT rounds and explosives.
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • 12x Smoke Grenade Launchers
    • ESS
    • Dozer Blade Capable
  • Reason for Implementation:
    • Some of the largest factors for implementing this tank is the 2nd generation thermal imagers, 3rd-generation Depleted Uranium Armor, and M829A3 APFSDS round. These features will push the M1A2 SEP as one of the leading top tier tanks in-game. I won't focus on the APFSDS round due to the fact its a balancing item, however, the new armor and thermals will be ground breaking for the U.S. tree. This tank can also fire the M829A4 APFSDS round. The U.S. Main Battle Tank line is currently missing any vehicle with 2nd generation thermals which become crucial at higher ranks. The rest of the post explains itself is to why this vehicle needs to be in-game. Not to mention with TUSK I, the M1A2 SEP will have higher capability to survive against HEAT rounds. It's unknown if it can use the TUSK II or if it has been equipped previously. The M1A2 SEPv2 and M1A2 SEPv2 are difficult to differentiate physically, most of the features are close to the same with the exception of the CROWS II Remote Weapon System. 
  • Imagery/Videos:

·

Video of the M1A2 SEP.

Video of an M1A2 SEP firing on insurgent positions.

Another video of an M1A2 SEP firing on insurgents, Balad, Iraq 2006.

General Dynamics Promotion video for the M1A2 SEP Main Battle Tank.

EKRyN2EU8AAJl4t.jpg

M1A2 SEP performing trials.

M1A2_Abrams_main_battle_tank_SEP_Urban_w

Showcase model of the M1A2 SEP.

M1A2_SEP_System_Enhancement_Program_main

M1A2 SEP on display.

M1A1_Abrams_main_battle_tank_US_United_S

M1A2 SEP rear.

51cc3738ecad046c01000023?width=800&forma

M1A2 SEP during the Battle of Sadr City, Iraq. 

M1A2-SEP_Upgrade.gif

List of upgrades for the M1A2 SEP.

1920px-Mounted_Soldier_System_(MSS).jpg

M1A2 SEP equipped with elements of the TUSK I package.

49-Figure18-1.png

TUSK I/II Rear Slat armor for engine compartment.

X_19_Abrams_Reactive_Armor_w-box_silo-80

M-19 Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles.

M829A3.thumb.png.cbdd499456294d5e9e34838

M829A3 APFSDS-T specifications. Updated due to @Jackvony.

GdCNon4.png.48778cba2aaf2deeaac204f2e3e3

Esimated penetration of the M829A3 APFSDS-T round. Updated due to @Jackvony.

• Additional Notes:
    • This suggestion is focusing on a specific vehicle rather than a group of vehicles which other users have suggested which meets suggestion guidelines.
    • Please see my other American vehicle suggestions (the M1A1 SA holds very similar capabilities as the M1A2 SEPv2):

Edited by Yontzee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Yontzee changed the title to M1A2 SEP: America's Freedom Deliverer

If anyone has any specific documentation providing information on capabilities, equipment nomenclature, etc. please comment below and I will add it. Current information needed: 

• 3rd Generation Depleted Uranium Armor and addon armor estimated protection values.
  • M-19 Abrams Reactive Armor Tile protection values vs. HEAT and Kinetic rounds. 
  • 66mm 32rd Defense Grenade Launchers capable of firing Fragmentation and Smoke Grenades.
  • M829A3 APFSDS & M1028 capabilities. 
  • TUSK I Protection Values.
  • TUSK I total overall weight.
  • TUSK II compatibility.
  • M1A2 SEP overall weight.

Thank you! Also no classified data!:salute:

Edited by Yontzee
  • Upvote 1

• Yontzee changed the title to M1A2 SEP: America's Liberator

Combat weight of SEP and SEPv2: https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/wsh2013/12.pdf

SEP - 62.205

SEPv2 - 62.859

TUSK adds 4.91 metric tons (at least on SEPv3):

Spoiler

1058858-04.jpg

Patent describing defeat mechanism used by M829A3: https://patents.google.com/patent/US6662726B1/en

OG Program description: https://www.dacis.com/budget/budget_pdf/FY06/PROC/A/7390E78012.pdf

"Production and fielding of the M829A3 will maintain the ability of the Abrams Main Battle Tank to defeat current and postulated armor threats. This round incorporates revolutionary advances in technology and will represent the most lethal anti-armor tank cartridge in production."

Some stuff I have on it:

Spoiler

Edited by Jackvony
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Jackvony said:

Combat weight of SEP and SEPv2: https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/wsh2013/12.pdf

SEP - 62.205

SEPv2 - 62.859

TUSK adds 4.91 metric tons (at least on SEPv3):

Hide contents

Patent describing defeat mechanism used by M829A3: https://patents.google.com/patent/US6662726B1/en

OG Program description: https://www.dacis.com/budget/budget_pdf/FY06/PROC/A/7390E78012.pdf

"Production and fielding of the M829A3 will maintain the ability of the Abrams Main Battle Tank to defeat current and postulated armor threats. This round incorporates revolutionary advances in technology and will represent the most lethal anti-armor tank cartridge in production."

Some stuff I have on it:

Reveal hidden contents

Sweet! I appreciate it! I’ll add the data.

Just confirming. This is the M829A4 right?

Edited by Yontzee

5 hours ago, Yontzee said:

Sweet! I appreciate it! I’ll add the data.

Just confirming. This is the M829A4 right?

Negative, that is A3. I have stuff for A4 as well if you want it. I noticed I uploaded the wrong stat card my bad I'll put the A3 up as well in an edit on the previous post.

Edited by Jackvony
medal medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, Jackvony said:

Negative, that is A3. I have stuff for A4 as well if you want it. I noticed I uploaded the wrong stat card my bad I'll put the A3 up as well in an edit on the previous post.

Corrected my post. Thanks again m8! I linked you in my suggestions (M1A2 SEPv2 as well).

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

To be honest, I hope SEP comes as a researchable modification for M1A2. America doesn't need yet ANOTHER Abrams, but it sure needs a true 11.0... so making SEP a mod for M1A2 would be the best option in my opinion.

why not another abrams especially with gen2s and good armor this time? Russia is still mercilessly stomping top tier while the common adversaries remain castrated to gen1. at least it won't just be Russia with the monstrous lineup. SEP should be okay as a separate tank atm, the turret ring weakspot still exists. Maybe limit it to M829A3 (potentially 652mm pen in-game) for balance, don't gib M829A4 yet

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

14 minutes ago, NAYEONnaise said:

why not another abrams especially with gen2s and good armor this time? Russia is still mercilessly stomping top tier while the common adversaries remain castrated to gen1. at least it won't just be Russia with the monstrous lineup. SEP should be okay as a separate tank atm, the turret ring weakspot still exists. Maybe limit it to M829A3 (potentially 652mm pen in-game) for balance, don't gib M829A4 yet

Next Abrams vehicle should be SEPv2.

I'm not spending 2,500,000 SL and 1,000,000 RP worth of grind just to get better thermals and cheek armor in a tank that retains the 10.0-level hull armor xD

Those modifications aren't worth all that grind, they should be a mod for the current M1A2, so that it would be a true 11.0 (it currently is subpar at best).

All America has been getting all this time is sidegrades: M1A1HC, M1A1 AIM... we need a REAL step forward next.

SEPv2 would have even better cheeks than SEP and, finally, improved hull protection; that should be the next independent vehicle.

EDIT: if SEP happened to have improved hull armor, I could see it as a new tree vehicle, but since it's an unclear matter, I don't know if Gaijin would implement it with it, which makes me fear M1A2 SEP would be implemented as basically just M1A2 with better thermals.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

32 minutes ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

To be honest, I hope SEP comes as a researchable modification for M1A2. America doesn't need yet ANOTHER Abrams, but it sure needs a true 11.0... so making SEP a mod for M1A2 would be the best option in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, NAYEONnaise said:

19 minutes ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

Next Abrams vehicle should be SEPv2.

I'm not spending 2,500,000 SL and 1,000,000 RP worth of grind just to get better thermals and cheek armor in a tank that retains the 10.0-level hull armor xD

Those modifications aren't worth all that grind, they should be a mod for the current M1A2, so that it would be a true 11.0 (it currently is subpar at best).

All America has been getting all this time is sidegrades: M1A1HC, M1A1 AIM... we need a REAL step forward next.

SEPv2 would have even better cheeks than SEP and, finally, improved hull protection; that should be the next independent vehicle.

EDIT: if SEP happened to have improved hull armor, I could see it as a new tree vehicle, but since it's an unclear matter, I don't know if Gaijin would implement it with it, which makes me fear M1A2 SEP would be implemented as basically just M1A2 with better thermals.

I had an idea M1A2 renamed is M1A2 SEP, features, engine, transmission & armament from M1A2 SEP all enhanced on M1A2 in main tech tree, let me guess maybe BR change to 11.3 or 11.7

medal

"The T-80BVM is an upgraded version of the T-80BV main battle tank. It was first publicly revealed in 2017." - http://www.military-today.com/tanks/t80bvm.htm

"Approved for implementation in 1995, the M1A2 SEP (System Enhancement Package) is a technology upgrade and standardization program, whereby the Army's fleet of M1s and M1A2s will all be brought to a common standard." - https://www.military.com/equipment/m1a2-abrams-main-battle-tank

Just curious why the 1995 SEP package hasn't been added vs the T80BVM that came out in 2017....

I do know WT doesn't follow a timeline of by tech appearance like Air RB, but were talking about a tank from 2017 facing a version from the 1990... If we follow by release it should be M1A2 SEPv3 vs T-80BVM, both were released in 2017...

Edited by BDPershing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

On 29/09/2022 at 19:15, BDPershing said:

Just curious why the 1995 SEP package hasn't been added vs the T80BVM that came out in 2017....

I do know WT doesn't follow a timeline of by tech appearance like Air RB, but were talking about a tank from 2017 facing a version from the 1990... If we follow by release it should be M1A2 SEPv3 vs T-80BVM, both were released in 2017...

Because the order in which tanks get added to the game doesn´t correspond with real life dates. Just with Gaijin´s economic benefit (that is, which tank generates the most hype for the upcoming update) with gameplay balance being a secondary  consideration.

As a footnote, the SEPv3 was publicly unveiled in 2017 but the production version has its armor changed, and it didn´t enter service until much recently. Nevertheless, its quite obvious that the SEPv3 purpose is to regain advantage over the newer level of russian tanks such as the T-80BVM and T-90M.

• Haha 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

https://warthunder.com/en/news/7906-development-m1a2-sep-tusk-up-close-personal-en

460_02_m1a2_sep_560e9cee7cbbbdb11c18b7c9

YO! It’s here! M1A2 SEP bois! ERA and all!

Now that we have ERA for the Abrams, maybe we’ll get it for the M3A3 Bradley like it had :salute:

Edited by Yontzee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, modern_primat said:

the real question is which M60 variant will be there?

m1a2 sep is good, but what non abrams MBT will be there for supporting SEP? i hope it is gonna be M60T or M60TM.

i know, it is turko-israeli. but actually, it is turkish. only turkey is user. the real israeli one is sabra, and it can go to israel. and M60T(10.0) or M60TM(10.3) can be there in M60 line... maybe with 120s and M60AX variants???

What does your post have to do with M1A2 SEP?

Please enlighten me

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the M1A2 SEP has been implemented as per Update 2.21 Fire and Ice,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute: