IRIAF F-14A - The Persian Tomcats

OsO73

IRIAF F-14A - The Persian Tomcats  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this aircraft added to WT?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Would you like to see the Modernized Variant added to WT?

• Yes.
    • No.

39 minutes ago, Borotovas said:

I find it surprising how Iran managed to keep these aircraft running for so long, considering that the US cut support to Iran in 1979.

I wonder if any other aircraft from Iran could be added as "weapons-swap" planes.

I have heard somewhere that they are already using their F-14As that have become unusable for some reason(deterioration over time, breakdowns, etc) as a parts source, and some parts have also been successfully produced domestically. Even in the US, retired F-14Ds are being recycled for parts for F-18s, so it makes sense to use old or retired aircraft for parts.

medal medal medal

13 minutes ago, NoBombersInJetRB said:

I have heard somewhere that they are already using their F-14As that have become unusable for some reason(deterioration over time, breakdowns, etc) as a parts source, and some parts have also been successfully produced domestically. Even in the US, retired F-14Ds are being recycled for parts for F-18s, so it makes sense to use old or retired aircraft for parts.

I don't think that planes can deteriorate, as long as they are well maintained. The B-52 is already like 70 years old and is expected to keep on flying until 2050.

I think that Iran should be able to keep these planes flying for a very long time, and probably even upgrade them. I think the main issue here would be cost, because Iran might not have the budget to do aircraft overhauls or to reverse-engineer some parts.

But since the weapons sanctions were lifted from Iran; maybe Iran will replace the F-14s with more modern Russian or Chinese aircraft. 

Edited by Borotovas
medal medal

3 hours ago, Borotovas said:

I find it surprising how Iran managed to keep these aircraft running for so long, considering that the US cut support to Iran in 1979.

I wonder if any other aircraft from Iran could be added as "weapons-swap" planes.

I want that cute twin tail F-5 variant.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

17 hours ago, Draco_Argentum said:

I want that cute twin tail F-5 variant.

Would make a good premium.

medal medal

• 5 months later...