[Forwarded][31/01/2022]Mouse not locked in the WT window with multi monitor setup and i3 window manager

sukulent

When quickly moving the mouse to the edge, the cursor shows up end escapes the game window, even in fullscreen, breaking aiming or camera movement I am trying to make, making the game unplayable.

I use Regolith i3 with gnome, turning off mouse focus on windows doesn't help much.

System:    Host: no-name Kernel: 4.19.0-18-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.30.2
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8370 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           Speed: 2593 MHz min/max: 1400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2107 2: 2107 3: 2132 4: 2150
           5: 2200 6: 2230 7: 2946 8: 3012
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver: nvidia v: 495.46
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.46
 Memory: 15.57 GiB used: 6.04 GiB (38.8%)

• Technical Moderator

Hello @sukulent,

Is it just when moving your mouse cursor quickly in the direction of your other monitors that this happens or does the mouse leave the game window even when moving the mouse cursor slowly to your other monitors? Also could you please upload a .clog file from a session in which this occurs?

• Technical Moderator

@sukulent,

Thank you. I have forwarded your report.

@Random_WT_Player,

Is it not locked at all or just with quick movements? Also could you please post your full system information as per the reporting guidelines?

• apemax changed the title to [Forwarded][31/01/2022]Mouse not locked in the WT window with multi monitor setup and i3 window manager
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not exactly an expert on the topic, but this does seem to be related to both of the following reports:

It appears that War Thunder is relying on the X11 window manager (KWin, Mutter, i3) to restrict the cursor to the game window, instead of relying on the window library (e.g. GLFW), or perhaps the window library is doing so. KWin and Mutter do a "good-enough" job at restricting the mouse cursor, except that occasionally with large enough mouse position updates (i.e. mouse flicks) the window manager takes a frame to capture the mouse, so the mouse can end up on the other screen (this explains the second report I linked, which was running under X11). You can check this by running a fullscreen YouTube video on the other monitor and flicking the cursor to there - the titlebar and video scroller will show up.

However, i3 doesn't have this functionality build in (to my knowledge), so the mouse isn't restricted at al l, leading to this bug report.

Now, under Wayland compositors, there is a protocol extension that deals with this sort of thing properly. However, since War Thunder (and by extension Steam) run under XWayland, the game cannot actually use this protocol extension, and thus relies on the compositor to provide a XWayland alternative. No compositor currently does this (AFAIK), in fact KWin and Sway both do not support that protocol extension I was talking about.

Again, I'm not an expert in this area, so it's highly likely I've gotten something wrong.

• Like 1

• Technical Moderator

Locked and moved to documented reports.

• Like 1