BMP-2 Konkurs-M Modification

Yontzee

Konkurs-M ATGM  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Konkurs-M modification be available to the BMP-2?

• Yes
    • No

BMP-2 Konkurs-M Modification

bmp-2+with+mi-24.jpg

• Summary:
    • The BMP-2 is a widely known IFV used by Russia and several other countries. Over thousands of BMP-2’s in several different makes and variants currently operate throughout the world. The standard BMP-2 is equipped with a 2A42 Autocannon, coaxial 7.62 PKT machine gun, with an optionally attached 9P135/9P135M ATGM Launcher capable of firing Konkurs and Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM). In 1991, prior to the fall of the Soviet Union, the Soviet Army adopted a modernized version of the Konkurs ATGM named the Konkurs-M, or NATO designated AT-5B Spandrel. This new missile features a Tandem-HEAT warhead, allowing greater penetration of vehicles that equip ERA. A new launcher/firing post was required to accommodate the longer 9M113M missile. This new launcher was designated 9P135M. This new missile system was adapted to the BMP-2 to greater increase its firepower versus ERA equipped vehicles that would pose a challenge to the older and smaller 9M113 missile. Newer missiles have been developed for the Konkur-M platform designated 9N131M and 9N131M2-1. The Konkurs-M continues to be utilized by the Russian Army on BMP-2 IFV’s, seeing usage in multiple conflicts and exercises such as Zapad. 
  • Features:
    • Konkurs-M ATGM (4x Missiles)
      • Launcher:
        • 9P56M
        • Optics:
          • 9Sh119M1 Daylight Sight
        • Guidance: Wire-guided/SALCOS
        • Elevation: -10/+20 degrees
        • Rate of Fire (RoF): 3 Missiles/Min
      • Missile(s):
        • 9M113M
          • Warhead: Tandem HEAT
          • Penetration: 750-800mm behind ERA
          • Diameter: 135mm
          • Weight: 14.5kg (Missile only)
          • Propulsion: Single-Stage Solid Propellant Rocket Motor (and Booster)
          • Range: 75-4,000m (3,500m Passively)
          • Speed:
            • Average: 208m/s
            • Max: 300m/s
  • Notes:
    • Allows the player a choice between adding the BMP-2D Appliqué Armor for increased armor protection or the Konkurs-M ATGM.
    • Using the Konkurs-M brings the BMP-2 to more modern standards, allowing players to create a modern “Russia” lineup.
    • The standard BMP-2 utilizing Konkurs-M ATGM’s is far more prevalent than the newly introduced BMP-2M models.
  • Implementation:
    • A separate Tier IV modification to be added to the BMP-2(D) similar to the in-game XM8 that provides choices in armor value.
    • Maintain the same Battle Rating at 8.3, possibly up to 8.7, especially if the BMP-3 gets the 3UBR11 APFSDS-T round which would slide the BMP-3 to at least battle rating 9.0.
    • Another possible implementation idea is adding it as a separate vehicle with the “modernization” packages the BMP-2 received from the mid-90’s till now. Upgrades were relatively minor, mainly new variations of commander and gunner sights.
  • Imagery:

bmp-2+atgm+konkurs.png

Launcher mounted on BMP-2 turret.

f0205060_54040f99848e3.jpg

BMP-2 firing a Konkurs missile.

03-45-09-konkurs_l3.jpg

9P135M Konkurs-M ATGM.

konkurs-m.jpg

9P135M Konkurs-M missile cutout. 

launcher.png

Launcher with sighting unit.

9sh119m1.png

9Sh119M1 Daylight Sight diagram.

IMG_1579-vi.jpg

9Sh119M1 Daylight Sight close up.

bmp-2+missile+launcher.jpg

Rear view of the launcher. 

9SH119M1.jpg

9Sh119M1 Daylight Sight visual.

bmp-2+atgm+loading.png

Imagery showing loading of the ATGM from inside the vehicle.

Edited by Yontzee
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1 but I would like to see it as a new vehicle because I don't like situations like the BMP-1 to BMP-1P where a vehicle changes designation or has a new weapon modification that renders an earlier one completely obsolete based on how spaded it is.  

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 04/04/2022 at 22:44, Milocat said:

+1 but I would like to see it as a new vehicle because I don't like situations like the BMP-1 to BMP-1P where a vehicle changes designation or has a new weapon modification that renders an earlier one completely obsolete based on how spaded it is.  

I wanted to make it a new vehicle but the problem was the BMP-2 base model only received very minor upgrades to optics and such so the USSR/Russia never gave it a new designation so I couldn't find a way to make it a separate vehicle. There's a BMP-2 obr. 1995 I tried referencing but I couldn't find anything about it or whether or not it was in service. 

Edited by Yontzee

personally i see no issue with it being a modification.
its like unlocking new ammo for a tank, i don't think anyone still uses DM33 when they get DM53 on the leopard 2A6 or something for example.
the BMP-2 right now is quite good but compared to the other 8.3 IFVs i feel like it lacks a bit of punch.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • Yontzee changed the title to BMP-2 Konkurs-M Modification
  • 9 months later...

Honestly with the new missile physics, I think it would make sense for the BMP-2 and all other missile carrying IFV's to receive their advanced missiles. The new missile physics moderately decrease the accuracy of these vehicles like this (Konkurs), the MEPHISTO's HOT missiles, the TOW, etc. and tries to focus on immersion. I think with this change, the BMP-2 would fair well at receiving the Konkurs-M without the need to change its BR. It's a missile that has been equipped with the BMP-2 and feeds into the immersion narrative. 

Edited by Yontzee