IMI/Soltam Sholef V2: the most advanced self-propelled howitzer tank israel ever created

ofekk213

A poll about the Sholef V2 self-propelled howitzer  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the Sholef V2 added to the israel ground forces?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If added, what type of vehicle should the Sholef V2 be added as?

• Regular tech-tree vehicle
    • Premium vehicle
    • Event vehicle
    • Squadroon vehicle
    • I've voted no at the 1st poll
  3. 3. What BR do you think the Sholef V2 should be in if it will make it ingame (be sure to read all of the suggestion before selecting)?

• 7.3 or lower
    • 9.0 or higher
    • I've voted no at the 1st poll

fmIsdSf.jpg.1bc734b59a393c0699972c4bdfbd

Hey there fellow gigachad derp gun enjoyers! Do you like big and long barrels? Well allow me to introduce you to a very cool vehicle:

the Sholef

Sholef-beyt-hatotchan-2.jpg.dc2ea3a97bb0

Note: recently, I've discovered that theres a difference between the two prototypes of the Sholef: the Sholef V1 has a 155mm L45 cannon and climb ladders on both turret cheeks, and the Sholef V2 has a 155mm L/52 cannon, no climb ladders and smoke grenades on the turret cheeks. This suggestion will mainly focus on the Sholef V2, and in the future I will make a seperate suggestion for the Sholef V1. Due to the Sholef in Beit Hatotchan being a bit of a frankenstein, having the Sholef V2's cannon but the Sholef V1's turret, I will keep the pictures of the Sholef from Beit Hatotchan as they are much higher in quality and prespective compared to the old pictures showing the original Sholef prototypes.

Description:

The IMI/Soltam Sholef V2 (hebrew slang for "gunslinger" ) is an experimental self-propelled howitzer made in a joint venture between IMI (Israeli Military Industries) and Soltam Systems. It is based on the Merkava Mk.1B's hull and it has many new features. 2 prototypes of the Sholef were created, the Sholef V1 and Sholef V2. Both was tested and evaluated by the IDF, but ultimately lost the IDF's howtizer program contract to an upgraded version of the american M109, but not because of what you may think...

Today I will focus on the second prototype, the Sholef V2.

more information about the Sholef V2 and its development is available in the history section.

Merkava-based-Sholef-1-800x451.jpg.5da08

General information:

armor and survivability

The Merkava Mk.1B's hull is very spaced and offers high crew survivability if a round penetrates, even if it is not the most armored hull. The Sholef's turret armor, however, can only stop small arms fire, shell splinters, blast overpressure, and most heavy machine gun rounds, but it's better than having an open top turret.

Mobility

You might think that because the Sholef V2 is based on the Merkava Mk.1B it would have the same mobility as the Mk.1 or worse, but you would be very, very, wrong. The Sholef uses a new Continental AVDS 9AR 1790, the same engine found on the Merkava Mk.3, boasting 1200hp while the entire vehicle weighs "only" 45 tons. If you pull out a calculator, you will find out the power to weight ratio of the Sholef V2 is 26.67hp/t, which is higher than the M1A2's 24.62hp/t and even the M1A1's 26.56hp/t! However, the transmission remains the same as the Merkava Mk.1B, so your maximum speed and especially max reverse speed aren't as good as the Abrams. You will still hit those max speeds quickly on any kind of terrain thanks to the amazing power to weight ratio.

Armaments

• Main armament - It's a big boy cannon! The Sholef V2 is armed with a monstrous 155mm L/52 caliber cannon! In real life, it's equipped with a travel lock, but it also has a two-plane stabilization system, it will always be two-plane stabilized in war thunder.
  • Ammo racks - the Sholef V2 can store up to 75 shells in the turret and hull, of which 60 are considered 1st stage ammunition and can be used immediately.
  • Loading mechanism - the Sholef V2's cannon has a fully automatic autoloader with the reload rate of 9 rounds per minute (6.67 seconds to load a new shell), but it can be loaded manually should the need arise. Until gaijin models autoloader damage models in war thunder, the Sholef V2 should have a static and uninterruptable reload speed of 6.67 seconds.
  • Ammunition - the Sholef V2 is compatible with all NATO 155mm shells. here's a list of the shell I believe the Sholef V2 should have in war thunder:
    • M107A3 - extended range version of the good ol' American M107 HE shell. perfect for a stock round.
    • M481 - this HE-ER-BT (High Explosive Extended Range Boat Tail) shell has 10.5kg of TNT and has a low drag aerodynamic shape which gives it increased range while being just as accurate, and have a muzzle velocity of 945m/s. great as an unlockable shell.
    • M401 - 12kg of TNT, base bleed technology, VT fuze, this HE-ER-BB (High Explosive Extended Range Base Bleed) shell has it all. with even further range too. another good unlockable shell that can be used pretty well against low-flying helicopters and aircraft aswell.
    • M150 - an advanced smoke shell, with 3 minutes of smoke duration, 5 smoke canisters compared to 3 on most smoke shells, 13.5kg of HC, and a muzzle velocity of 890m/s. it's an amazing smoke shell that can be used very effectively. obvious addition as an unlockable shell.
    • if there's an APHE or a HESH shell that is 155mm NATO standard I'll be happy to add that too, but I have not found any.
  • Smoke grenades - The Sholef V2 has a pair of 6pc smoke grenade launchers, the same ones found on the Merkava Mk.1B and other variants of the Merkava.
  • Machine guns - the sholef V2 is armed a pair of 7.62mm FN-MAG 60-40 machine guns mounted on the top of the turret.

soltam_dsfll1.jpg.03801ddb94c8549318e9c2 slammer_gjhgj-01.jpg.408edfb3f807e1a702d sholef-image08.jpg.550ee2d19f1f64319c912

How would it perform in war thunder

The Sholef V2 can play like any other SPH in-game, but not only the Sholef V2 does everything better than all of them, but it can also try different playstyles that most of the other SPHs ingame can't. you can use the Sholef V2's relatively high power-to-weight ratio to zip zap around the map and get to key positions to catch the enemy with their pants down, very similar to light tanks, but watch out for your massive profile as you are no small vehicle. The very quick reload rate (at least for this caliber) combined with the huge 60 shell ready rack means you can shoot nonstop without worrying of running out of ammo, so you can engage multiple tanks at once if you chose to flank with the Sholef V2. The hull of the Merkava Mk.1B isn't the most armored, but should someone attempt to shoot the hull and not the turret, you could survive a shot and immediately return fire.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• An excellent power-to-weight ratio of 26.67hp/t, slightly over the power-to-weight ratio famous M1A1 abrams.
  • Two-plane stabilization gives a massive advantage in reaction times and when engaging enemies on the move, especialy compared to other SPHs.
  • Autoloader loads in 6.67 seconds which is very fast, especially for shells of this caliber.
  • A huge ready rack of 60 shells allows you to shoot without needing to keep a constant watch on ready shells.
  • Survivable Merkava Mk.1B hull and overpressure-proof turret will make sure artillery and high calibre MGs aren't a big threat for you.
  • even when the M401 shell is objectively the better shell out of all of them, both the M107A3 and M481 are still highly potent shells that can kill most enemies you face rather easily.
  • A pair of smoke grenade launchers (two 6pc smoke grenade launchers) and the M150 advanced smoke shell can make it a nightmare to track the Sholef V2 properly.

Cons:

• You're gigantic. from the size of the Merkava Mk.1B hull to the sheer length of the 155mm L/52 cannon, you cannot hide in plain sight no matter how many bushes you throw at the Sholef V2. you must stay close to big covers to avoid being detected.
  • Even when the Merkava Mk.1B's hull itself is very survivable, the shells you carry are way bigger than the original Merkava Mk.1's 105mm shells, and are much easier to hit, causing ammo detonation and instantly knocking out your entire crew.
  • Your engine is still in the front, and enemies can constantly shoot you in the hull front, preventing you from moving or reacting
  • The lack of a laser range finder can make it difficult to hit an enemy helicopter (let alone aircraft) even with the M401 shell

History:

The Sholef was a 155mm L/52 caliber self-propelled howitzer, equipped with a fully automatic autoloader and only requires 4 crew members to operate. It was based on the hull of the Merkava Mk.1B tank ( not  the Merkava Mk.2 or Mk.3 as claimed by some sources and articles). The Merkava hull has a unique feature among few other main battle tanks - the engine is at the front of the hull and the crew compartment is located to the rear. This structure of the Merkava is commonly used by self-propelled artillery tanks, and due to that, it is ideal for a modification like this. The front compartment housed a driver, and his workplace is the same as on the Merkava Mk.1B tank. The gunner, loader, and commander are located in the turret compartment. To access the turret, the crew used two hatches on the roof for the loader and commander and one hatch on the hull for the gunner. The turret had all the necessary equipment to monitor the weapons and other systems.

The Sholef was developed in the mid-late 1970s. It competed for the IDF's contract for a new self-propelled howitzer. As the Merkava Mk.1B tanks were planned to be completely replaced by the newer Merkava Mk.2B, a significant number of Mk.1B hulls could be obtained. The use of the old Mk.1B hulls allowed to significantly reduce the cost of the program and of mass production of the Sholef as there was no need to create a new hull from scratch.

Two prototypes were made, the Sholef V1 which was revealed in 1984, and the Sholef V2 which was revealed in 1986. The Sholef V1 had a 155mm L/45 cannon, climb ladders on the turret cheeks and no smoke grenade launchers, while the Sholef V2 had a 155mm L/52 cannon, no climb ladders, and a pair of 6pc smoke grenade launchers on the turret cheeks. Other than those small details, both prototypes are completly identical.

The Sholef uses standard NATO 155mm ammunition and domestic Israeli ammunition. While the Sholef can store 75 shells in total, only 60 shells are ready to be used immediately by the autoloader. Both versions of the 155mm cannon were made by Soltam Systems, an Israeli corporation. The autoloader can load new shells every 6.67 seconds, or 9 rounds per minute. The Sholef's cannon can be fired automatically and manually. This high rate of fire is achieved by using the ammunition supply on board or stackable ammunition on the ground, close to the Sholef's area of operation. The loading cycle is operated by only two crew members in the turret, with the commander serving as the computer operative and the loader in the cargo bay. 

The Sholef project had a very big emphasis on fire control tools and gun maintenance automation and due to this, it was possible to obtain very high combat characteristics. It also used GPS and inertial navigation systems, and it's capable of firing ERFB-BB (Extended Range Full Bore Base Bleed) shells up to 40km. One of Its unique features, especially for that type of vehicle, is that it can fire on the move with a two-plane stabilizer and engage targets in close range.

While only two prototypes were made, the Sholef never entered production as it was deemed too expensive. The IDF gave the SPH contract to an upgraded version of the M109 as that would be more than sufficient for the IDF's requirements. Despite being vastly superior to the M109A5 in basic performance, the Sholef was nearly twice as expensive. Even the use of existing hulls borrowed from decommissioned Merkava Mk.1Bs did not allow to reduce the cost to acceptable values. Ultimately, the Sholef was canceled because it was way too overkill for the IDF. Today, the 2 remaining prototypes of the Sholef are still intact, the Sholef V1 is presented in   "Beit Hatotchan"  artillery museum in Zichron-Ya'akov, Israel. However, the Sholef V1 in Beit Hatotchan has the L/52 calibre cannon of the Sholef V2 for an unknown reason. As for the Sholef V2, it's in the Soltam Systems R&D center and isn't available for the public.

TL;DR stats of the Sholef V2:

• Country of origin: Israel

• Crew: 4 men
  • Weight: 45 t
  • Length (gun forward): 13.5 m
  • Hull length: 9 m
  • Width: 3.72 m
  • Height: 3.49 m
  • Main gun: 155 mm
  • Barrel length:52 calibers
  • Machine guns: 2 x 7.62mm FN-MAG 60-40
  • Maximum rate of fire: 9 rpm
  • Elevation range: +70/-5 degrees
  • Traverse range: 360 degrees
  • Max ammunition load: 75 rounds
  • Machine gun ammunition load: 3600 rounds, 1800 for each
  • Engine: Continental AVDS 9AR 1790 diesel
  • Engine power: 1200 hp
  • Maximum forwoad speed: 60 km/h
  • Maximum reverse speed: 14 km/h (estimated)
  • Driving range: 500 km
  • Gradient: 60%
  • Side slope: 40%
  • Vertical step: 0.8 m
  • Trench: 2.8 m
  • Fording: 1.38 m
  • Fording (with preparation): 2.4 m

Media:

Spoiler

download.jpg.33b1d6829f255d476631a7bfb6b sholef-image03.jpg.f3f50565191e4d891a048 Sholef-beyt-hatotchan-1.jpg.1a4324b6985f Sholef-beyt-hatotchan-5.jpg.3683cd85806c 1499433155_sholef-3.jpg.78dcb36b555abeb5 Merkava-Howitzer-Sholef-00002_.jpg.7bacb Sholef-beyt-hatotchan-5.jpg.3683cd85806c Sholef-beyt-hatotchan-7.jpg.05b3f7023844 igor-zaikov-05.jpg.2c519705279b92add3ff6

Sources:

Spoiler

final words:

This was my first ever vehicle suggestion, and i've made it all by myself. I really hope you liked it! Please feel free to leave your opinions/suggestions/additions/whatever in the comment section!

See y'all around!

edit:

I've added some corrections and changes to the suggestion.

Edited by ofekk213
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

As this is your first suggestion and you have put a lot of effort to fill this suggestion....

You have to check your history section. Making sure there isn't any plagiarism. 

Please fix your history section within 48h, or this suggestion will be hidden

Open for discussion:goodsnail:

Edited by kurururocks
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JamesPond1200@psn said:

Love it! +1

i would love to see more of NIMDA's modifications and upgrades in the israeli tank tree, they are very underrated!

heres a link to their site and their projects if you are interested: https://www.nimda.co.il/nimda-projects/

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, ofekk213 said:

i would love to see more of NIMDA's modifications and upgrades in the israeli tank tree, they are very underrated!

I agree! In fact, I'm going to be suggesting another one of their upgrade packages very soon!

• Upvote 1
medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Suggestion Moderator

+1, The tree lacks TDs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/08/2022 at 21:40, yoyolast said:

+1, The tree lacks TDs.

I'd say its a crime considering the crapton of TDs we could have. Israel has the potential to be the king of TDs/SPGs/SPHs/ATGM carriers in the game.

medal medal medal medal

Israel do have a good TD potential for all rank.

i counted 22 TD that could fit the Israeli Tech tree from rank 1 to 7. that is a good number, that is not the largest offer amounts all the nation, but they do have some very unique, like the king derp which would offer the most powerful derp damage with a single shot of all vehicles i know to fit the game.it fire rockets that is technically as powerful as 250 kg bombs. it was meant for long range artillery but it is still capable of direct fire.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/549605-mar-290-eshel-ha-yarden-the-derp-king/

The Soltam offer a much more conventional way of using the artillery tanks as SPG. it can fire dirrectly and sustain a longer fight. it's still using derp ammo but it have pretty good velocity. similar to the velocity of the early MBT just before they all have APFSDS. with nearly 1000 m/sec, it can fire directly at a tank at 2 km distance with good accuracy without too much challenge (if the target do not move) which make it a great TD for relatively high BR.
here is a resume of his firepower

155 mm L/52 howitzer
Capacity (magazine) firerate Vertical Horizontal Stabilizer Rotation speed (°/sec) Reload (sec)
75 (60) 9 -5°/+70° ±180° Two-plane unknown 6.7
Penetration statistics
Ammunition Type of
warhead
Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)
10 m 100 m 500 m 1,000 m 1,500 m 2,000 m
M107 HE 61 61 61 61 61 61
M481 HE 63 63 63 63 63 63
Shell details
Ammunition Type of
warhead
Velocity
(m/s)
Projectile
Mass (kg)
Fuse delay
(m)
Fuse sensitivity
(mm)
Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
Ricochet
0% 50% 100%
M107 HE 945 43.1 0.0 0.1 9.290 79° 80° 81°
M481 HE 945 48 0.0 0.0 10.500 79° 80° 81°
Smoke shell characteristics
Ammunition Velocity
(m/s)
Projectile
Mass (kg)
Screen radius
(m)
Screen deploy time
(s)
Screen hold time
(s)
Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
M110 945 40.8 25 5 30 50

the first 60 rounds are in auto-loader so it would never have less than 6.7 sec reload. i doubt the players will need more than 40 rounds. so no need to worry about running out of ammo in the auto-loader.
other ammunition was used, some with more penetration, possibly with proximity fuze as well. but i lack of infos on their Characteristic.

Edited by CaID
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 12/09/2022 at 23:45, CaID said:

Israel do have a good TD potential for all rank.

i counted 22 TD that could fit the Israeli Tech tree from rank 1 to 7. that is a good number, that is not the largest offer amounts all the nation, but they do have some very unique, like the king derp which would offer the most powerful derp damage with a single shot of all vehicles i know to fit the game.it fire rockets that is technically as powerful as 250 kg bombs. it was meant for long range artillery but it is still capable of direct fire.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/549605-mar-290-eshel-ha-yarden-the-derp-king/

The Soltam offer a much more conventional way of using the artillery tanks as SPG. it can fire dirrectly and sustain a longer fight. it's still using derp ammo but it have pretty good velocity. similar to the velocity of the early MBT just before they all have APFSDS. with nearly 1000 m/sec, it can fire directly at a tank at 2 km distance with good accuracy without too much challenge (if the target do not move) which make it a great TD for relatively high BR.
here is a resume of his firepower

155 mm L/52 howitzer
Capacity (magazine) firerate Vertical Horizontal Stabilizer Rotation speed (°/sec) Reload (sec)
75 (60) 9 -5°/+60° ±180° N/A 12 6.7
Penetration statistics
Ammunition Type of
warhead
Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)
10 m 100 m 500 m 1,000 m 1,500 m 2,000 m
M107 HE 61 61 61 61 61 61
M481 HE 63 63 63 63 63 63
Shell details
Ammunition Type of
warhead
Velocity
(m/s)
Projectile
Mass (kg)
Fuse delay
(m)
Fuse sensitivity
(mm)
Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
Ricochet
0% 50% 100%
M107 HE 945 43.1 0.0 0.1 9.290 79° 80° 81°
M481 HE 945 48 0.0 0.0 10.500 79° 80° 81°
Smoke shell characteristics
Ammunition Velocity
(m/s)
Projectile
Mass (kg)
Screen radius
(m)
Screen deploy time
(s)
Screen hold time
(s)
Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
M110 945 40.8 25 5 30 50

the first 60 rounds are in auto-loader so it would never have less than 6.7 sec reload. i doubt the players will need more than 40 rounds. so no need to worry about running out of ammo in the auto-loader.
other ammunition was used, some with more penetration, possibly with proximity fuze as well. but i lack of infos on their Characteristic.

Thank you for making this chart, however, I do have to correct some serious mistakes in it:

* The Sholef has a 2-axis stabilizer. ALL sources confirm this.

* The Sholef, like the Merkava Mk.1B which it's hull is based on, uses a hydraulic turret traverse system, which means that turret traverse speed depends on the engine strength. Combine the substantially stronger engine with the Sholef's turret being way lighter than the Merkava Mk.1B's turret (Sholef weights 45t total, Merkava Mk.1B weights 61t), and the turret teaverse is guranteed to be significantly higher than the Merkava Mk.1B's, which is already at 34°/s which is prerry high on its own. The Sholef will have a very snappy turret traverse, combined with the 2-axis stabilization, this will make it's reaction times extremely good.

* I did mention the Sholef can use the M401 (AKA: ERFB-BB), which i expect it to be it's final unlockable shell. It has 12kg of TNT and a VT fuze. The M481 would be a rank I unlockable shell to replace the M107A3 stock shell.

* The Sholef has access to the M150 smoke shell, which ingame should last 50% more time than the M110 and have a larger smoke cloud.

* while the disappointing -5° of depression is true, the max elevation of the Sholef is +70°, not +60°. In fact, I've metioned it in the suggestion.

theres a reason I consider the Sholef to be the king of self-propelled howtizers. It is doing everything that other SPHs do, but better, and it annihilates them at areas that they don't usually do good.

medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, ofekk213 said:

* I did mention the Sholef can use the M401 (AKA: ERFB-BB), which i expect it to be it's final unlockable shell. It has 12kg of TNT and a VT fuze. The M481 would be a rank I unlockable shell to replace the M107A3 stock shell.

one of the important data about the various shells is the Velocity.

in the case of the M401, we got only 3 information

• it have 12 kg of TnTe
  • it's a 155mm rounds with improved drag
  • it can have impact or proximity fuze

there is important information that is missing which is the velocity. we have nothing that allow us to guess his velocity other than the M481 have a velocity of 945m/sec. that is lacking on the information side to me
i do not deny this rounds, it's just we do not have enough just yet to add it properly. if we could find the weight or the velocity that would be enough to cover the missing information with guesswork as place holder.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Zucc_Boi said:

I know it's a bit off topic, but what utility does a VT fuze provide IRL? Is it to create a consistent airburst?

When it comes to artillery, VT fuze shells are used against infantry from long ranges. it detects when the shell is close to the ground, than it detonates, sending shrapnel in a much larger area.

medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

Quick update

sholef-image08.jpg.550ee2d19f1f64319c912

In the picture above, the Sholef V1 can be seen to the right, and the Sholef V2 is to the left.

So I did not mention it in the suggestion because back than I did not notice,but the two prototypes of the Sholef have names and a single difference: the Sholef V1 has a 155mm L/45 cannon, and the Sholef V2 has a 155mm L/52 cannon. For now this suggestion will focus on the V2.

But here is where it gets really interesting...

IMI/Soltam Sholef: the most advanced self-propelled howitzer tank israel  ever created - Israel - War Thunder - Official Forum

This is a Sholef V1, clearly the barrel is shorter. Pay attention to the part of the barrel right before the muzzle brake.

image(59).png.5e015429c23b4b1943ae1c9b06

Heres a picture of the Sholef V1 (on the left) next to the Sholef V2, pretty big difference in barrel length

image(73).png.85698d6aa842425d7117086afb

Heres a larger picture of the Sholef V2, now, notice the little part of the barrel before the muzzle brake. This part is how we can easily tell apart the two prototypes.

Now, what's so interesting here, you might ask? "It's just two different versions of the Sholef, clearly you've made a mistake by saying the V1 in the pictures has the L/52 cannon when it should have the L/45 cannon" is what you might be typing or thinking right now.

OK, let's take a look at the Sholef V1 that is exhibited in Beit Hatotchan:

Is that...

No, can't be...

IS THIS THE 155mm L/52 CANNON FROM THE SHOLEF V2, MOUNTED ON THE TURRET OF THE SHOLEF V1 FOR SOME REASON?!?!?! (just to be clear, both turrets are functionally completly identical, only difference being the inscription on the turret sides)

Remember the little barrel extention part I've shown you earlier on the Sholef V2's picture? This is clearly the same one!

This is very wierd indeed. Due to this discovery, I will change the title of the suggestion and add a note that specifies that this suggestion is about the Sholef V2, equipping the L/52 cannon. Despite having the inscription of the V1, the Sholef at Beit Hatotchan is technically the Sholef V2 sience the only difference between the V1 and V2 is barrel length and turret-side inscription.

Welp, I just noticed that there is actually a tintsy tiny difference between the V1's and V2's turret: the V2 does not have the climb ladders the V1 has and it also has smoke grenade launchers.

Edited by ofekk213
  • Like 3
medal medal medal medal

• ofekk213 changed the title to IMI/Soltam Sholef V2: the most advanced self-propelled howitzer tank israel ever created
  • 5 months later...
On 02/01/2023 at 20:03, ofekk213 said:

Quick update

sholef-image08.jpg.550ee2d19f1f64319c912

In the picture above, the Sholef V1 can be seen to the right, and the Sholef V2 is to the left.

So I did not mention it in the suggestion because back than I did not notice,but the two prototypes of the Sholef have names and a single difference: the Sholef V1 has a 155mm L/45 cannon, and the Sholef V2 has a 155mm L/52 cannon. For now this suggestion will focus on the V2.

But here is where it gets really interesting...

IMI/Soltam Sholef: the most advanced self-propelled howitzer tank israel  ever created - Israel - War Thunder - Official Forum

This is a Sholef V1, clearly the barrel is shorter. Pay attention to the part of the barrel right before the muzzle brake.

image(59).png.5e015429c23b4b1943ae1c9b06

Heres a picture of the Sholef V1 (on the left) next to the Sholef V2, pretty big difference in barrel length

image(73).png.85698d6aa842425d7117086afb

Heres a larger picture of the Sholef V2, now, notice the little part of the barrel before the muzzle brake. This part is how we can easily tell apart the two prototypes.

Now, what's so interesting here, you might ask? "It's just two different versions of the Sholef, clearly you've made a mistake by saying the V1 in the pictures has the L/52 cannon when it should have the L/45 cannon" is what you might be typing or thinking right now.

OK, let's take a look at the Sholef V1 that is exhibited in Beit Hatotchan:

Is that...

No, can't be...

IS THIS THE 155mm L/52 CANNON FROM THE SHOLEF V2, MOUNTED ON THE TURRET OF THE SHOLEF V1 FOR SOME REASON?!?!?! (just to be clear, both turrets are functionally completly identical, only difference being the inscription on the turret sides)

Remember the little barrel extention part I've shown you earlier on the Sholef V2's picture? This is clearly the same one!

This is very wierd indeed. Due to this discovery, I will change the title of the suggestion and add a note that specifies that this suggestion is about the Sholef V2, equipping the L/52 cannon. Despite having the inscription of the V1, the Sholef at Beit Hatotchan is technically the Sholef V2 sience the only difference between the V1 and V2 is barrel length and turret-side inscription.

Welp, I just noticed that there is actually a tintsy tiny difference between the V1's and V2's turret: the V2 does not have the climb ladders the V1 has and it also has smoke grenade launchers.

I was looking at making a suggestion myself.
Nicely done, I'd say.
Few more things, I don't know if its covered here,
The L/45 earlier variant even took part in combat in December 1990, firing at targets in Lebanon.
The roof armor was rated to protect versus the M42 submunition.
It also had a central NBC/CBRN unit and blowout stowage for its propellant charges.
It did have a laser range finder for direct fire engagement (likely but not entirely sure though)
By 1992, IDF had 3 options for artillery modernization: Upgrade M109s (now M109 Doher), Buy M270 MLRS & Manufacture Sholef. By March 1993, the MoD decided to pursue the two former options
The project was officially closed in late 1993. Soltam for its part kept the second prototype for demonstrations to potential customers till 1997.

More images:
Fyk1tPBWIAAGKOX?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk17BgXsAMKLQr?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk2j0uXsAAyja4?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fyk5WW6X0AIUGni?format=jpg&name=large

Fyk5YRXWAAIesJx?format=jpg&name=large

Fyk5wetXgAE4PiY?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk57TgXoAAw7sq?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk7vtyXwAIK2o-?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk7tkcWAAExgTD?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Upvote 4
medal

On 14/06/2023 at 17:30, Raiden_Black said:

I was looking at making a suggestion myself.
Nicely done, I'd say.
Few more things, I don't know if its covered here,
The L/45 earlier variant even took part in combat in December 1990, firing at targets in Lebanon.
The roof armor was rated to protect versus the M42 submunition.
It also had a central NBC/CBRN unit and blowout stowage for its propellant charges.
It did have a laser range finder for direct fire engagement (likely but not entirely sure though)
By 1992, IDF had 3 options for artillery modernization: Upgrade M109s (now M109 Doher), Buy M270 MLRS & Manufacture Sholef. By March 1993, the MoD decided to pursue the two former options
The project was officially closed in late 1993. Soltam for its part kept the second prototype for demonstrations to potential customers till 1997.

More images:
Fyk1tPBWIAAGKOX?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk17BgXsAMKLQr?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk2j0uXsAAyja4?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fyk5WW6X0AIUGni?format=jpg&name=large

Fyk5YRXWAAIesJx?format=jpg&name=large

Fyk5wetXgAE4PiY?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk57TgXoAAw7sq?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk7vtyXwAIK2o-?format=jpg&name=medium

Fyk7tkcWAAExgTD?format=jpg&name=900x900

This was my first ever vehicle suggestion, and sience then I made many discoveries about the Sholef.

However, I NEVER saw any inside images untill now!

Here's an image of the Sholef V1 from the operation in Sejoud, Lebanon:

209360-1.jpg.595366e5507cb60ee6126dc0b5f

A house before hit:image0-9.jpg.4a7c27f177ee9ca78bd0d22cea7

And after:

image0-10.jpg.5972840e5da778e5df37c40459

Do please tell me everything you know about the Sholef, the more information the merrier.

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, ofekk213 said:

This was my first ever vehicle suggestion, and sience then I made many discoveries about the Sholef.

However, I NEVER saw any inside images untill now!

Here's an image of the Sholef V1 from the operation in Sejoud, Lebanon:

209360-1.jpg.595366e5507cb60ee6126dc0b5f

A house before hit: image0-9.jpg.4a7c27f177ee9ca78bd0d22cea7

And after:

image0-10.jpg.5972840e5da778e5df37c40459

Do please tell me everything you know about the Sholef, the more information the merrier.

If I find more info, I'll update here.

medal