English Electric Lightning F.2A: The Final Lightning

Arcadia_Nyx

Would you like to see the Lightning F.2A in game?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Lightning F.2A in game?

• Yes(As a researchable aircraft)
    • Yes(As a premium vehicle)
    • Yes(As a event vehicle)
    • Yes(As a squadron vehicle)
    • No,I do not need Lightning F.2A

English Electric Lightning F.2A

1763431-large.jpg

I would like to introduce to you all a slightly different Lightning than F.6. This is my first proposal, so there may be a lot of unfamiliarity.

History:

Spoiler

This aircraft is a modified version of the English Electric Lightning F.2, based on the improved design of the Lightning F.6, with wings, fuel tanks and tail equivalent to the F.6, minor upgrades to the new Avon 211R engine (no difference from the 210R), the addition of an arresting hook, and an option pack that adds two more ADEN cannons at the cost of losing the firestreak, depending on the situation.
The F.2A was operated primarily by RAF 19 Squadron and RAF 92 Squadron and was responsible for air defense missions in Germany until 1977.
The F.2A was the latest of the Lightning aircraft to be put into service, in 1968, and operated for a brief nine years until 1977, when all aircraft were retired, leaving the role to the Phantom FGR.2.

Photo:

Spoiler

6ae2fdee6997f1de715cfe46d523ecc5--lightn
Photo showing location of additional ADEN pods.

f2a-cock-2_orig.png
D3LMzX9WAAA3WVC?format=jpg&name=large
Inside the cockpit of the F.2A, showing that it is quite different from the F.6.

f829a29ceb623e6b234ae817a97202bb.jpg
F.2A of 92 Squadron, probably the most famous painted F.2A.

16277538896_72b73ef4d0_h.jpg
F.2A of 19 Squadron in chic camouflage. F.2A in this color can still be seen in Germany and Holland today.
I like these two major camouflages, but feel free to comment if you know of any other good ones.

Armament & Specifications:

Spoiler

Crew: 1
    Length: 55 ft 3 in (16.8 m)
    Wingspan: 34 ft 10 in (10.6 m)
    Height: 19 ft 7 in (5.97 m)
    Wing area: 458.5 ft² (42.59 m²)
    Empty weight: 25,500 lb (11,567 kg)
    Max Weight: 39,700 lb (18,008 kg)
    Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce Avon 211R afterburning turbojets
    Dry thrust: 11,250 lbf (50.04 kN) each
    Thrust with afterburner: 14,370 lbf (63.92 kN) each
    Maximum speed: Mach 2.3 (1,500 mph) at 36,000 ft
    Service ceiling: 60,000 ft+
    Radar:AI.23

Ammo: 2 x 30mm ADEN cannon, with a choice of either 2 firestreaks in the fuselage or a pack with 2 ADENs.

F.2A in the game

Spoiler

This has the potential to be a very good gunfighter; it should be noted that the F.2A lacks a little engine power compared to the F.6 already in the game, but instead is considerably lighter than the F.6.
Even in historical fact, the F.2A is preferred as an easier to fly aircraft than the F.6 due to its light weight, and within Warthunder, the F.2A will be an easier flight model to fly than the F.6.
Also, everyone will find the F.2A's privileged payload of four 30mm ADEN cannons on the model attractive. I can assure you that it surpasses the F.6 in ease of gun application, along with the lighter weight of the aircraft, and players will be able to play with a more aggressive Lightning.

Source:

Spoiler

Réacteurs simple et double flux: données caractéristiques/Élodie Roux
English Electric/BAC Lightning Mks 1-6/Kev Darling
English Electric Lightning/Martin Derry,Neil Robinson
Lightning Strikes Twice:The Story of the English Electric Lightning/Martin W. Bowman 
https://www.eelightningsig.uk/f2a-pilots-notes.html
https://www.eelightningsig.uk/variants.html
https://www.airfighters.com/page.php?id=439&units=metric
http://airvectors.net/aveeltg.html
https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/history.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Lightning

Edited by Alpine_Lynx
Replaced the photo from the wrong one
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a +1, we need more Lightning variants in game

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I used to think the F.2A should be in the game (if you go back far enough on my profiles you'll see me advocating for it), but having looked into it a lot more since then I can't say I agree anymore. I've come to realise the F.2A would be the worst of both worlds; you have nearly all the extra weight of the F.6 (the large belly tank, kinked wings, new tail etc.), with the engines and armament of an F.2. 

A far better addition would be the regular F.2 (or the F.1 / F.1A, there's really not much difference between the three). The base model F.2 would be lighter than the F.2A or F.6, and like the F.2A it has nose mounted guns and the ability to carry an extra gun pack. Simply put everything you say the F.2A does better than the F.6 the F.2 does better than the F.2A (the F.2A is essentially an F.2 with a lot of extra weight). The reason the F.2A was popular among pilots wasn't for it's flight performance, rather that it had by far the best endurance of any Lightning (even more fuel storage than the F.6, with the less fuel hungry engines of the F.2)

Also FYI the picture at the top of this suggestions is an F.2 rather than an F.2A.

Edited by Flame2512
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

56 minutes ago, Flame2512 said:

I used to think the F.2A should be in the game (if you go back far enough on my profiles you'll see me advocating for it), but having looked into it a lot more since then I can't say I agree anymore. I've come to realise the F.2A would be the worst of both worlds; you have nearly all the extra weight of the F.6 (the large belly tank, kinked wings, new tail etc.), with the engines and armament of an F.2. 

A far better addition would be the regular F.2 (or the F.1 / F.1A, there's really not much difference between the three). The base model F.2 would be lighter than the F.2A or F.6, and like the F.2A it has nose mounted guns and the ability to carry an extra gun pack. Simply put everything you say the F.2A does better than the F.6 the F.2 does better than the F.2A (the F.2A is essentially an F.2 with a lot of extra weight). The reason the F.2A was popular among pilots wasn't for it's flight performance, rather that it had by far the best endurance of any Lightning (even more fuel storage than the F.6, with the less fuel hungry engines of the F.2)

Thanks for the comment!
You are certainly correct, and I don't see much good in the specs compared to F.1A, etc. (In fact, I was wondering if I should create a proposal for the F.2A, since there is a proposal for the F.1A that surpasses the F.2A in specs.)

However.The wing changes give it improved maneuverability over the F.2, and I find it more fuel efficient than the F.6, but with more fuel capacity than the F.2.
I think it will be more versatile in fuel strategy than the F.6 and F.2.

56 minutes ago, Flame2512 said:

Also FYI the picture at the top of this suggestions is an F.2 rather than an F.2A.

Sorry! I completely misread it, it has now been replaced.

Edited by Alpine_Lynx
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

• Arcadia_Nyx changed the title to English Electric Lightning F.2A: The Final Lightning
23 hours ago, Alpine_Lynx said:

I'm sorry! I completely forgot about the squadron vehicle. They are available now, thanks for letting me know!

Thx, finally    915396114327437333.webp?size=128&quality   +1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

I think that a standard F.2 would be a much superior addition. The F.2A was the worst performing of all the lightnings in terms of kinematics, with much of the added weight of the F.6 and none of the extra thrust. Looking through the operating data manuals the standard F.2 had the 2A beat in acceleration, climb, turn performance, stall speed, basically all the metrics that matter in war thunder. The F.2 would be unique in that you would have the choice of a better dogfighter/performer at the relevant speeds/altitudes we see in game whilst trading it off for worse top speed and inferior missiles but better gun placement. The F.2A would be an all around downgrade.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

• 8 months later...