Kampfpanzer M48A2 (GT 601-750) - "Revving Up"

Headnaught

Kpz. M48A2 (GT 601-750)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the gas turbine M48A2 in game?

• Yes, as a tech tree vehicle
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle
    • Yes, as an event vehicle
    • Yes, as a squadron research vehicle
    • No, I would not like the gas turbine M48A2 in game.

• Suggestion Moderator

unknown.png

The Kpz. M48A2 was the German designation for the M48A2 Patton III in service with the Bundeswehr. The particular model in this suggestion was previously upgraded to the "G" standard. The "G" upgrades included fitting smoke grenade launchers, new rear view mirrors for the driver, a new infrared searchlight from AEG Telefunken, infrared optics for the driver and IR targeting equipment, a new radio set, new lights, and the standard guide cross on the rear of the tank. These modifications can be seen on the German M48A2 C in game, and the C version has only minor differences to the normal M48A2. Technically, the "G" designation was never official, so for simplicity's sake I will just be referring to this tank as the M48A2. The particular tank I am suggesting was modified for trials with the Garret GT 601-750 gas turbine engine.

unknown.png

As shown in the illustration above, installing the new engine required modification of the engine comparment, raising the rear deck compared to the normal M48A2. The new engine, as its designation suggests, provided 750 horsepower, while weighing considerably less than the comparable Continental AVDS-1790-2D diesel engine that was used in the M48A5. Trials revealed an increase in range as the engine was more efficient, as well as lower noise and gas emissions. However, the engine was never adopted for the M48, as by the time it had been developed in the early 80s, the M48 was on its way out of the Bundeswehr inventory. Therefore, a costly upgrade to install a new engine for a tank that the German army didn't plan to use was obviously not worth it. In addition, turbine engine performance depend heavily on the ambient temperature. While the GT 601-750 provided the tank with superior performance to the M48A5 at temperatures below 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius), performance was noted to be inferior in temperatures above 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21.1 degrees Celsius).

Why Germany and not America?

This upgrade was developed by ITI, an international consortium between American and German engine makers. In addition, this upgrade was only carried out on a German M48 with German upgrades, as well as mainly being considered for either German or export M48s, and not American models. I think this would be a good event vehicle or premium counterpart to the M48A2 C that we have in game, as overall it would be very similar, with slightly different mobility.

Pictures:

image.png.d8f88d7a2413b8025b7f3ceedbd146

Specifications:

M48A2 "G" (GT 601-750)

Crew: 4

Weight: ~52.5 tons

Powerplant: Garrett GT 601-750 (750 hp)

Power to weight ratio: 14.3 hp/ton

Maximum Speed: 30 mph (48 km/h)

Armament:

• Main gun: M41 90mm cannon
    • Rate of fire: 8 rds/min
    • Traverse: 24 degrees/sec, 360 degree range
    • Elevation: 4 degrees/sec, + 19 / - 9
    • Ammunition types: AP, APC, HE, HVAP, HEAT, smoke
  • Coaxial machine gun: .30 caliber MG37 (Browning M1919)
  • Anti-aircraft machine gun: .50 caliber Browning M2 HB

Armor:

• Hull:
    • Upper glacis: 4.33 in (110 mm) CHA at 60 degrees
    • Lower glacis: 4 in - 2.4 in (102 mm - 61 mm) CHA at 53 degrees
    • Side front: 3 in (76 mm) CHA at 0 degrees
    • Side rear: 2 in (51 mm) CHA at 0 degrees
    • Rear, grill: 1 in (25 mm) CHA at 0 degrees*
    • Rear, lower: 1.6 in - 1.2 in (41 mm - 30 mm) at 30 - 60 degrees*
  • Turret:
    • Mantlet: 4.5 in (114mm) CHA at 30 degrees
    • Turret face: 7 in (178mm) CHA effective thickness
    • Sides: 3 in (76 mm) CHA effective thickness
    • Rear: 2 in (51 mm) CHA effective thickness

Additional equipment:

• M13A1 stereoscopic rangefinder
  • 8 x smoke grenade dispenser
  • AEG Telefunken night fighting equipment

* Note - the new engine installation may have had different armor values. It's not specified in any material I came across, so I just listed the armor values for the normal M48A2.

Sources:

Edited by Headnaught

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion :salute:

• 3 weeks later...