RakJPz 4 Jaguar 2: TOWing the Raketenjagdpanzer into a New Era

OddPhenomena

Raketenjagdpanzer 4 Jaguar 2  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Jaguar 2 be added to War Thunder?

• Yes.
    • No.

Raketenjagdpanzer 4 Jaguar 2

99eb635ea8c5bb785818091bffe9fe39.jpg

Welcome to the suggestion post for the Raketenjagdpanzer 4 Jaguar 2! This is one of Germany's developments off of the original RakJPz 1, but what makes this interesting is that instead of the HOT missile used on the Jaguar 1, the Jaguar 2 uses the American BGM-71 TOW missile. Later on in its service life, it also used the TOW-2 ATGM. One unfortunate downside of the Jaguar 2 is that, due to the TOW missile mount, the ATGMs are manually reloaded and aimed by the gunner, who has to stick out of the vehicle. This is opposed to the Jaguar 1 with the HOT missile, which the gunner can aim, fire, and reload from inside the vehicle. Despite this drawback, I believe that if given the TOW-2, the Jaguar 2 could still be a worthy addition to the German ground tree. Time for some history of the Jaguar 2!

History

Spoiler

gh9wxw59cp291.jpg?auto=webp&s=45357fca26

A Kanonjagdpanzer at a NATO training ground in Bergen-Hohne, West Germany, June 20th, 1963. This vehicle would be the basis for the Jaguar 2.

In the early 1980s, the Kanonenjagdpanzer 4-5 tank destroyer's 90 mm main gun was no longer adequate against Soviet tanks, which now consisted of increasing numbers of T-64s and T-72s. Originally, there had been a number of ATGM-carrying tank destroyers. To deal with increasing threats as well as make use of existing Kanonenjagdpanzer chassis that had been taken out of service, a concept was put forward to manufacturer Thyssen-Henschel to combine the BGM-71 TOW ATGM system with the Kanonenjagdpanzer 4-5's chassis. The aim of this concept was to create a mobile anti-tank system capable of destroying armor at a long range, with the crew being under armored protection.

To carry out the latter part of this goal, the initial design called for the crew to be entirely under armor, with all hatches closed. But this demand was soon dropped due to growing development costs, and instead the TOW launcher would be lifted in and out of the vehicle using a mechanically operated elevatable system. When the design was finalized, 165 Kanonenjagdpanzer 4-5s were converted into the new vehicle design, named Raketenjagdpanzer 4 Jaguar 2.

f3e6fecd9feb05df49f8e4cdf8df9564.jpg

A picture of a Jaguar 2 with its TOW launcher out.

5902215cff7cb9b490462c8748a1cbdc.jpg

The Jaguar 2 in travel position, but with the gunner's hatch opened. Note here that the gunner and commander's panoramic sights are fully elevated.

While in a firing position, the Jaguar 2's gunner and loader stand next to the weapon on an adjustable step inside the hull, with the lower half of their body covered by the tank's armor, but the rest being exposed. In the event that the vehicle takes fire, the launcher and crew can be retracted into the vehicle within five seconds, protecting the gunner and loader entirely from enemy fire, but leaving the tank destroyer unable to fire.

The Jaguar 2 carries 12 missiles in total, and carries a tripod for the TOW launcher to allow the crew to employ the TOW system for use outside the vehicle. Along with the TOW launcher is a Texas Instruments AN/TAS-4 thermal imaging targeting system for night combat, found on the housing for the optical targeting sight, with the AN/TAS-4 having its own set of optics. The TOW system on the Jaguar 2 consists of four components; the carriage, transfer optics, mounts for the missile, and the loading device. From 1989, the Bundeswehr introduced the TOW-2 into service, with several Jaguar 2s receiving the new missile . This allowed the Jaguar 2 to have better penetration against armored targets, have less chance of the missile being affected by countermeasures, a higher hit probability, and a larger range, from 3,000 meters to 3,750 meters.

1280px-Panzermuseum_Munster_2010_0938.JP

The add-on armor fitted to the front of the Jaguar 2.

During the conversion phase, Jaguar 2s received appliqué armor as well as sideskirts, the same later variants of the Raketenjagdpanzer 3 Jaguar 1 received. In addition to this, the eight smoke launchers previously found on the engine deck were moved to the front glacis plate. For close range defense, a 7.62x51 mm MG3 machine gun can be fitted to the commander or loader's hatch on a ring mount. Both the commander and gunner have access to their own panoramic sights, which can be elevated up and down. The loader also has access to a rotating and tilt-able periscope.

The last Raketenjagdpanzer 4 Jaguar 2s were phased out of active service with the Bundeswehr in 1999, with a number remaining in German inventories and one in particular sitting next to the Raketenjagdpanzer 3 Jaguar 1 in the Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster.  A number would also serve with Austria, but merely as command vehicles, rather than anti-tank vehicles.

5822347896_d9f413af41_b.jpg

The Jaguar 2 (right) sitting next to its close relative, the Jaguar 1 (left) at Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster.

Specifications

Spoiler

Panzermuseum_Munster_2010_0936.JPG

The TOW launcher on top of the Jaguar 2.

• Mass: 24.8 tons
  • Crew: 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver)
  • Armor: 50 mm steel + applique armour
  • Main armament: 1× TOW missile launcher
  • Secondary armament: 1× 7.62 mm MG3 machine gun & 8× smoke dischargers on front glacis
  • Length: 6.61 m
  • Width: 3.12 m
  • Height: 1.98 m
  • Engine: 29,4 liter MTU MB 837 Aa V8 water-cooled multi-fuel diesel-engine, 500 hp (368 kW)
  • Fuel capacity: 470 liters
  • Operational range: 400 km
  • Maximum speed: 70 km/h
  • Ground Clearance: 440 mm
  • Track width: 450 mm
  • Gradeability: 58%
  • Ground pressure: 0.63 kg/cm²
  • Vertical step: 750 mm
  • Trench: 2.0 m
  • Fording: 1.20 m

Pictures

Spoiler

146a831fb324d4aea734548e59b1c754.jpg

749f920510c148661597d8914e4a9ab2.jpg

00403969f4a5207bbc60f85e06ebbf55.jpg

7ba4a3ef6bca1f33823564c71254ce6d.jpg

Sources

Spoiler

That is all for now, if you find anything incorrect, feel free to leave a comment with your source on the corrected information. Thank you for reading!

Edited by OddPhenomena
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Looks good, but i dont think it will be better than the current ones, because cal 50 will allways kill that dude first sight.

• Haha 1
medal

• 9 months later...
On 18/05/2023 at 17:20, Chris4win said:

At 0:35 it fires without a person behind the launcher

It does, he's just hidden behind the open hatch. You can see a guy behind the TOW missile in the very next scene.

medal medal medal medal medal

19 minutes ago, Godvana said:

It does, he's just hidden behind the open hatch. You can see a guy behind the TOW missile in the very next scene.

Yeah you are right. Didnt see him right

Edited by Chris4win
medal medal

14 minutes ago, Adamok2 said:

What about Hot-2T and thermals?

Source: Tankograd 5016

tankd_1.jpg

zOLUPnC.jpeg

cIhuHbu.jpeg

The one with the HOT is the Jaguar 1A3 and it’s been passed to developers already :salute:

Edited by Yontzee
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

23 minutes ago, Yontzee said:

The one with the HOT is the Jaguar 1A3 and it’s been passed to developers already :salute:

I see, thanks for the answer, tbh I didn't know it's been passed to devs. Let's hope to see it soon :)

medal medal medal medal medal

13 hours ago, Yontzee said:

Seeing these br suggestion shows really how brs got compressed. Now it would be more like 8.7 or 9.0 max

Edited by Chris4win
medal medal

7 minutes ago, Chris4win said:

Seeing these br suggestion shows really how brs got compressed. Now it would be more like 8.7 or 9.0 max

Yeah I think so too. I think both the Jaguar 1A3 and Jaguar 2 will have interesting BR’s. I feel like they might do what they did to the MEPHISTO and give the 1A3 only standard HOT-2’s (I hope it gets Tandem’s) and put it at like 8.0-8.3 and the Jaguar 2 at like 8.7 with the TOW-2A and TOW-2B. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

29 minutes ago, Yontzee said:

Yeah I think so too. I think both the Jaguar 1A3 and Jaguar 2 will have interesting BR’s. I feel like they might do what they did to the MEPHISTO and give the 1A3 only standard HOT-2’s (I hope it gets Tandem’s) and put it at like 8.0-8.3 and the Jaguar 2 at like 8.7 with the TOW-2A and TOW-2B. 

Yeah that are fair brs for these vehicles but that suggestion had 10.0 to 11.0 :lol2:. I hope they add these Jaguars and that one with the recoiless gun on the older platform and move the df105 and sk105 to the left line since that would make most sense in terms of gameplay and history. (Gaijin should move tank destroyers to a new line aswell since they have a entirely different playstyle)

medal medal