IAR-317 "Airfox"

IAR-317  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see IAR-317 in War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

unknown.png IAR-317 "Airfox"

unknown.png

I would like to suggest an interesting unique Romanian helicopter IAR-317 "Airfox". This is a light attack helicopter made by Industria Aeronautică Română (IAR) in 1980s, when Romanian authorities sought to provide the country's armed forces with military equipment, mainly of its own production. The idea was to design a helicopter specifically for CAS missions, which unlike the Soviet Mi-24s or other similar helicopters wouldn't have redundant capability to carry troops, allowing to decrease the weight and focus more on the anti-tank capabilities. IAR-317 was based on IAR 316B (Romanian licensed-built variant of the French SA.316B Alouette III). The helicopter had a tandem cockpit with a crew of pilot and operator-gunner. Large glass canopy provided very good visibility for the crew. Behind the cockpit radioequipment and fuel tanks were located. Cockpit and fuel tanks were protected by armour. From its predecessor IAR 316B, IAR-317 received Artouste IIB gas turbine engine of the French company Turbomeca, producing 640 kW. The "Airfox" helicopter was designed to fight tanks and other armored targets on the battlefield, for the fire support of ground forces, reconnaissance and surveillance. Only a single prototype was built, it made its first flight in 1984 and a year later it was represented on Paris Air Show. Unfortunately Romanian Militaries quickly lost interest in this project and its proposition for export remained unsuccessful. Despite that in WT it should become a very nice 8.x nimble helicopter. Also it looks like a baby-Mangusta)

Specifications:

Spoiler

Main rotor diametr, m
Tail rotor diametr, m
Lenght, m
Height, m
Weight, kg
- empty
- maximum take-off
Internal fuel, kg
Engine
Power, kW
Maximum speed, km/h
Cruising speed, km/h
Range, km
Combat range, km
Rate of climb, m/min
Service ceiling, m
Static ceiling, m
Crew

- 453 + optionally 200
- 1 GTE Turbomeca Artouste IIB
- 1 х 640

Armament optionts are listed below:

unknown.png

Some websites also claim the possibility of the installation of 2 AAM launchers, though I haven't seen any evidence.

Photos:

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sources:

1.) cartula.ro (1, 2);

2.) bzb.ro

3.) airwar.ru

4.) wikipedia (IAR 316)

Edited by _Condottiero_
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

However if at all possible, please do add some additional background information. :yes_yes_yes:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Very nice to see this here; I had idly looked up some information on this a while back when I was bored.

I do have one minor correction on the image you have listing the various armaments, though. What is listed as 13, the 'UV-4-130 launcher for 130mm rockets', is a four tube rocket pod for the 57mm S-5 rocket and its various sub-types. The same rocket pods can be found in-game on the IAR 316B. To the best of my limited knowledge, this seems very similar to a Czechoslovak design that was mounted on some of their jet trainers. I've seen it as being referred to as the R57-4M, though trying to find any reliable information about a S-5 rocket pod that isn't the ORO-57, UB-16-57 or UB-32-57 is essentially nigh impossible.

Spoiler

1733941108_L-29DelfinRocketPod.jpg.6973d

I haven't seen any evidence of it being equipped with AAMs, either. I've seen the IAR-317 mentioned elsewhere and other users were very quick to state, quite objectively, that it was never fitted with AAMs. I have seen an extremely poorly photoshopped image of the IAR-317 with a MANPAD slapped onto it, and an artist did use that image as a reference for a cutaway drawing, so that might have been how the rumor of it having AAMs started.

Spoiler

IAR-317-Airfox-Terrible-Photoshop.jpg.1c 1221971175_IAR-317AirfoxSpeculativeCutaw

Anyway, very happy to see this here and a definite +1 from me.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

I would love to see it added into the game, maybe to complement the Italian tech tree like we already have some of the aircraft in there as well.

As a bonus, we could have a split after AB.205 and create a dedicated tech tree line with I.A.R.316 before it, followed by I.A.R.317 and closing the line with I.A.R.330 Puma SOCAT (attack variant).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Insanerobert said:

I would love to see it added into the game, maybe to complement the Italian tech tree like we already have some of the aircraft in there as well.

As a bonus, we could have a split after AB.205 and create a dedicated tech tree line with I.A.R.316 before it, followed by I.A.R.317 and closing the line with I.A.R.330 Puma SOCAT (attack variant).

AB 205A-1 shouldn't be in the tree at all imo, it just doesn't really have a place in the game now, the starter should be the one equipped with early atgms like for most of other nations. Italy can have such helicopter in a form of AB 47J.

About IARs, yeah, I think if Gaijin goes with Hungary/Romania subtree for Italy, we can get a whole line of Romanian helicopters.

Spoiler

romhunheli.png

And in terms of Italian helicopters I also made my custom TT long ago if you are interested:

Edited by Охраняет-Камни
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 hours ago, Охраняет-Камни said:

AB 205A-1 shouldn't be in the tree at all imo, it just doesn't really have a place in the game now, the starter should be the one equipped with early atgms like for most of other nations. Italy can have such helicopter in a form of AB 47J.

That's true, they could replace it with AB.204 which has a better loadout diversity and firepower capabilities. Or at least put it as a next in line helicopter after AB.205 that is at least easy to unlock, at 100.000-170.000 RP instead of 380.000 as AW.109 stands today (which I still think it's too much for a 9.0 helicopter). Agusta Sea King would also be a good contender as a starter or at least an early tech tree helicopter.

16 hours ago, Охраняет-Камни said:

About IARs, yeah, I think if Gaijin goes with Hungary/Romania subtree for Italy, we can get a whole line of Romanian helicopters. romhunheli.png

Honestly, this is exactly what I had in mind for I.A.R. helicopter line. For the 1st true "Italian" line, I would love to see at least more Agusta-Westland helicopters, they are really nice birds in real life and I would love to see their military counterparts represented in game, like AW.101, 139 or the more modern 149 series. I am not such a fan of A129 series, but a more modern one is way overdue for the tech tree, yet Gaijin has decided the A129 International was not enough as premium so they've put T129 as well - just to remove it a few months after.

Italy needs more love - and I.A.R. helicopters are ideal to suplement it toghether wit AW series.

Edited by Insanerobert
Added a last sentence to close the post.
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...