Battle Scars and Impact Marks

Would you like to see battle scars and impact marks as a customization option in War Thunder?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see battle scars and impact marks as a customization option in War Thunder?

• Yes.
    • No.

Introducing Battle Scars and Impact Marks!

(Photos in spoilers.)

Spoiler

xqeWFmF.png oRpWnhO.jpg 8NesFsN.jpg uEfahnT.jpg

Lets get into the guts of the suggestion itself.

The idea for this suggestion is based on a saying I have sometimes came across, "Beware of a knight in shining armor, for his mantle may have yet to be tested." 

(Note: I chose to refer to them as decorations for convenience, whether Gaijin would actually put such a feature into decorations section or some other new form of customization entirely is entirely up to them.)

War Thunder is a game where we bring a variety of vehicles into combat with each other, many of them production vehicles, many of them prototype vehicles, a few very rare examples being flat out paper or "fake" designs. One interesting, but what I believe is a criminally unappreciated concept is that you can customize your vehicle's physical appearance with decorations. Decorations are a fantastic idea to make your tank in particular stick out from the others, to make it YOUR own tank rather than just another tank fresh off the assembly line, to play to whatever personal headcanon and story you made up for it.

A pretty neat idea to add to current decorations in my opinion would be the concept of making your tanks look like they've seen their fair share of battles by adding gouges, impact marks and other forms of non-penetrating damage to our tanks. Similar to the photographs I have shown above, but there are plenty of stories of tanks continuing to battle even after being struck, sometimes even multiple times. I think these kinda decorations would be especially popular with veteran War Thunder players such as myself and especially for players who favor using heavy tanks such as Heavy Tank Char B1 Bis, Heavy Tank KV-1 and 2 and Heavy Tank Tiger I and II.

Why would we want this in War Thunder?

I think the concept of making your personal armor look more worn and seen several battles via battle scars, impact marks, gouges, ect would be a excellent decoration choice to allow veteran War Thunder players or players who commonly use heavy tanks in particular to make these vehicles more personalized and unique to therm. I always loved the concept of decorations or similar vehicle customizations and decoration or customization such as this I think might prove to be pretty popular among the War Thunder community if eventually implimented.

Maybe Gaijin could even add some examples that are free and only require you to continue playing to eventually earn them.

Final Words.

If any of you guys have photos of tanks with impact marks and non-penetrating hits, please share them in the comments. It would be very much appreciated and I'll make sure to try and add them to this post. = )

I'd like to thank @CaID for the historical photograph of the Heavy Tank Tiger 1 shown in the beginning of the suggestion.

References

Source 1: "Spearhead: An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives in World War II" by Adam Makos which described a Medium Tank M4 Sherman named "Eleanor" that had a deep gouge in the side of her turret that had continued to serve until eventually getting knocked out.

Source 2: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinoviy_Kolobanov which depicted a KV-1 taking over 150 non-penetrating hits while battling, shame there doesn't seem to be any photographs I know of of the vehicle in the aftermath. xD

Source 3: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/france/char_b1_bis.php which depicts a Heavy Tank Char B1 Bis taking over 140 nonpenetrating hits while battling, once again, shame there doesn't seem to be any aftermath photographs.

Edited by ACR_1990_N64@psn
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Hello @ACR_1990_N64@psn,

While your suggestion does follow the majority of our set rules it does not comply well enough with one of our general rules, namely:

qOQfwjm.png General Rules:

6) Stay opinion free  - Be constructive, try not to bring in opinionated views or rants.

Usually a set amount of opinion is fine in a suggestion post, however your paragraph here is extremely opinionated and also leans into off-topic territory (regarding your actual suggestion) at times, ranting about unrelated general topics:

On 25/08/2022 at 23:51, ACR_1990_N64@psn said:

Why would we want this in War Thunder?

Gaijin's relationship with their decoration feature is a very odd one to me.

Gaijin has a massive amount of options to add for players to decorate their tanks with, but instead of adding rolled up canvases, netting or pieces of netting, logs and decorations similar to that, they instead consistently give out rifle/smg style gun decorations and goofy/nonsensical decorations such as soccer tournament stuff, bug nests, a package of toilet paper and even ancient helmets and shields and even a ancient war elephant helmet.

It's like they don't realize how well a money maker this feature could really be if they just added the right kind of decorations to it, heck, if they could at the very least add more gun decorations like the UBT decoration for example...

Reveal hidden contents

Look how neat this is, it is far better in my opinion to pretty much all the other gun decorations Gaijin has ever added to the game. It looks like something a resourceful tank crew has welded to their vehicle to add a little extra firepower to their vehicle, even though it doesn't actually function in game. It is still a highly appreciate decoration for me and other like minded people. Out of all the gun decorations I ever got, this is my most highly used example, I put it on plenty of my Russian vehicles. At the very least in terms of gun decorations. I would really love to see more such examples from Gaijin.

But getting to the point. I think the concept of making your personal armor look more worn and seen several battles via battle scars, impact marks, gouges, ect would be a excellent decoration choice to allow veteran War Thunder players or players who commonly use heavy tanks in particular to make these vehicles more personalized and unique to them and also help Gaijin earn a bit more money on decorations people likely would actually be more motivated to buy. Maybe as a show of good faith, Gaijin could even add some examples that are free and only require you to continue playing to eventually earn them.

This paragraph would have to be altered to be more objective or outright removed for the post to be fully approved. You have 48 hours to apply the necessary changes, otherwise the post will be archived.

Open for discussion.:fixsnail:

Edited by yoyolast