FV107 Scimitar Mk.2 - "Sharpening the Blade"

Headnaught

FV107 Scimitar Mk.2  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Scimitar Mk.2 in game?

• Yes, as a tech tree vehicle
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle
    • Yes, as an event vehicle
    • Yes, as a squadron research vehicle
    • No, I would not like the Scimitar Mk.2 in game.

• Suggestion Moderator

Scimitar 2 light reconnaissance vehicle - YouTube

Scimitar Mk.2 at Tankfest 2017.

Description

The Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) CVR(T) Scimitar Mk.2 is an overhaul and upgrade of the venerable FV107 Scimitar reconnaissance vehicle. In 2010, the UK Ministry of Defense called for an Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR) for the modernization of the CVR(T) platform in order to better cope with the terrorist threats faced in Afghanistan, specifically protecting against mines or IEDs and enhancing all-around ballistic protection. The Mk.2 upgrade, which was available for the whole CVR(T) family, was applied on top of upgrades that had previously been applied in the late 2000's called Environmental Mitigation 235, which was once again tailored to dealing with Afghanistan; however, the EM235's main opponent was the climate. The Mk.2 hull incorporates mine blast protection, mountings for anti-RPG slat armor, and bolted-on add-on armor to increase survivability against threats such as heavy machine gun fire. It also has a front-mounted driver's camera for visibility in dangerous environments. For better or worse, the revised hull creates a higher profile than the original FV107, though the vehicle is still small. The turret also received slat armor and add-on plating. The upgrades were a large success in Afghanistan, where a Mk.2 and its crew survived an IED blast unharmed. Thanks to the higher profile, the crew's seats could be changed to hang from the roof, providing better mine protection. Counter-IED equipment similar to the "table" found on the Challenger 2F and TES can also be mounted.

British soldiers from 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards have survived a strike by a large improvised explosive device (IED) in Afghanistan while driving in their upgraded Scimitar Mk2 vehicle. The three soldiers of the Welsh Cavalry were on a routine patrol in Nahr-e Saraj when their Scimitar Mk2 was engulfed in an explosion. All three soldiers walked away from the incident unharmed.

Lieutenant Peter Gordon-Finlayson, Trooper Robert Griffiths and Lance Corporal James Hatton posing for a photo inside their Scimitar Mk.2 in an operating base in Afghanistan. It was hit by an IED blast while on patrol, but the crew emerged unscathed thanks to the improved hull protection.

Protection is not the only department the Scimitar Mk.2 received a capability boost in. The Mk.2 is equipped with the ESPIRE periscopic thermal gunner's sight that was introduced on some Scimitars in the 90's, and the driver is also provided with a night vision sight. Despite the extra weight of add-on modules, the Scimitar Mk.2 retains its top-class mobility with a 235 hp Cummins BTA diesel engine and an enhanced drivetrain. It is capable of speeds of 80 km/h on road. The RARDEN cannon, while unstabilized, is still lethal, with a wide suite of ammunition available for different targets, including L21A1 APFSDS, which was qualified by the British Army in 2007. Whether this round was issued to Scimitar Mk.2 is not clear; even provided it was not, the Scimitar would still have access to the L14A3 APDS round from the 90's, which offers decent anti-armor capability. There are a plethora of other minor upgrades which you can learn about in the linked sources if you want.

Scimitar Mk.2 has been in service since 2011 where it was first deployed in Afghanistan in September. The CVR(T) platform was meant to be replaced by Ajax, but with the troubles that program is experiencing, the UK is still holding some Scimitars in reserve. Expected retirement date is 2023, making the Scimitar's overall service life over 40 years with the UK alone - other countries still use CVR(T)s acquired from British export ventures.

I believe that the Scimitar Mk.2 would be a capable addition to the British ground forces, especially if given the APFSDS round. The bar armor is optional, meaning players could decide whether to have more protection or more speed. Thermal sights and excellent mobility would make this a great scout vehicle to supplement mid-high tier lineups.

Specifications

FV107 Scimitar Mk.2

Crew: 3 (driver, gunner, commander)

Weight (max): 12.26 t (13.51 tn)

Powerplant: Cummins BTA 5.9 litre diesel engine (235 hp)

Power/weight ratio: 19.17 hp/t (17.39 hp/tn)

Maximum speed: 80 km/h (49.7 mph)

Armament:

• Main gun: 30mm L21A2 RARDEN (160 rounds)
    • Rate of fire (cyclic): 90 rounds/min
    • Traverse: 360 degree range
    • Elevation: + 35 / - 10 degrees
    • Ammunition types: HE, APSE, APDS, APFSDS
  • Coaxial machine gun: 7.62mm L37A1 (3,000 rounds)

Armor:

• Aluminum alloy
  • Add-on composite plates
  • Bar armor (removable)

Note: while the armor is unspecified, it is said to be greater than the original FV107, which could stop 14.5mm armor piercing rounds at 200 meters range across the frontal arc. Scimitar Mk.2 is potentially immune to this threat from any distance.

Additional equipment:

• ESPIRE gunner's day/night thermal sight
  • Rotating commander's sight
  • Driver's night vision sight
  • 8 x 66mm smoke grenade
  • Laser rangefinder

Pictures

The Scimitar Mark 2 has been re-hulled and up-armoured for improved protection from blasts and projectiles, with repositioned foot controls and a revamped fuel system for a better driving experience

Scimitar

The Other Chris on Twitter: "Scimitar Mk.2 in Estonia, posted by NATO 4th  January 2021. Minus the bar armour and "spoiler" seen in Afghanistan. Scimitar  Mk.2 is a new-build Spartan Mk.2 hull,

Alvis FV107 Scimitar Mk 2 Light Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle - British  Army

Sources

• Upvote 7

+1 Always have my fingers crossed for more British lights or just a full light line in general. Love the CVR(t) family and now that I've got the Wiesel 1A4, which has rapidly become my favourite tank in-game, I'd be even more excited to play the Scimitar. Darts, smoke & potential 14.5 resistance would be more than a worthwhile trade off for the larger size. :good:

Also Sabre & Fox one day too pls Gaijin. 

Edited by MajorFooFoo
  • Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...

+1 Would really love to see the FV107 in the game. + if the development team thinks about adding this nice CVR(T) family unit, they could add one Scimitar as a Latvian operated one. Similar to how we have Hungarian and other countries vehicles under specific main country tech trees.

Edited by GamingHD6
Changed my wording

• 2 months later...

+1, probably my favourite tank, it's a shame it's not in game yet

• 2 weeks later...

I think single cannons IFV are under reprenseted in game and I hope we get to see this one soon !

+1

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal