M-55S: Slovenian Wrath

Yontzee

M-55S Poll  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should the M-55S be added to War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No

Flag_of_Slovenia_svg.png.373c90af214f11b M-55S: Slovenian Wrath Sign_of_Slovenian_Army_svg.png.6dd4a8226

vbqFkan.jpeg

An M-55S on display.

• Basic Description :
    • In the early 1990s after its independence from Yugoslavia, the newly-formed country of Slovenia had inherited a small inventory of M-84 and T-55A main battle tanks that made the bulk of its armor. Throughout the '90s, the Slovenian Ground Forces went through a modernization period, focusing on modernizing its M-84 and T-55A main battle tanks which resulted in the M-84A4 Sniper and M-55S. The M-55S was a joint project between local Slovenian manufacturers and Israeli's Elbit Systems designed to enhance the T-55A in firepower, maneuverability, and protection as well as allow it to meet NATO standards. This modernization replaced the old D-10T 100mm rifled Gun with a NATO compatible L7A1 105mm rifled gun, new optics for the crew, Super Blazer ERA and passive armor, new electronics including communications and countermeasures equipment such as the LIRD-3A Laser Warning receiver and IS-6 Smoke Grenade Discharging system and a new V-12 diesel engine. The new gun is capable of firing all the newest NATO standard rounds, including APFSDS-T. The gun also is equipped with a thermal sleeve to prolong the barrel life. M-55S in Slovenian service had access to M156 (HESH), M152/3 (HEATFS), and M426 (APFSDS) Israeli rounds. The combat kit had to be sized down from 43 to 39 rounds. The crew which consists of 4, the Gunner, Commander, Loader, and Driver, received new optics and a fire control system from the Slovenian company Fotona that greatly affected the performance of the vehicle. The fire control system includes a ballistic computer and a linkage between the Gunner and Commander stations. The Gunner received a dual-stabilized day/night sight with an integrated Laser Rangefinder dubbed the SGS-55, the Commander utilizes the COMTOS-55 which is attached under his TPKU-2B periscope and has the capability to seize control of the Gunnery systems from the Gunner in the event of a system failure or casualty, and the Driver utilizes the day/night sight CODRIS which allows for continued/sustained night operations. From the Israeli company Elbit Systems, the M-55S equips the Super Blazer ERA, a continuation of the original Blazer armor found on Israeli Centurions. The Super Blazer features enhanced armor protection against HEAT-shaped charges and is layered with Passive Armor that increases the vehicle's overall survivability. On top of armor upgrades, the M-55S is equipped with the Fotona LIRD-3A LWS which is coupled to the IS-6 Smoke Grenade Dischargers that can be activated automatically or manually in the event of incoming projectiles. For maneuverability, the M-55S suspension was adapted to accommodate the M-84's tracks, installing new sprocket wheels and four return rollers on each side while the engine was modernized which resulted in an increase of horsepower to around 600hp. Other upgrades include modernized communication equipment like the VIC-1 intercom system, an external phone for supporting infantry, a new fire extinguishing system, and sensory equipment that allow the M-55S to increase its overall capabilities. Additionally, a large hole (approx. 350x250mm) was cut through the turret to allow access to the new CNR-900 radio system, which was housed in an armored box (a "bustle"). 28 T-55s went through the modernization process and served alongside the M-84A4 Sniper main battle tank for two decades. The M-55S served with the Slovenian Ground Forces until 2022 when all 28 units were donated to the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
    • Special thanks to @_YugoSlav_for their assistance in creating Yugoslavian suggestions!
  • Specifications:
    • Role: Main Battle Tank
    • Origin:
      • Slovenia
    • Armament:
      • Primary: 105mm L7A1 L/51 Rifled Gun
        • Caliber: 105 x 617mmR
        • Ammunition:
          • M426 APFSDS-T
          • M152 HEAT-FS
          • M156 HESH-T
      • Coaxial: PKT 7.62mm Machine Gun
      • Roof-mounted: DShKM 12.7mm Machine Gun
    • Dimensions:
      • Length: 9.900m
      • Width: 3.500m
      • Height: 2.390m
      • Weight: 40t
    • Mobility :
      • Engine: 600hp Modernized V-55 Diesel Engine 
      • Max Speed: 55km/h
      • Transmission: Manual (5-forward, 1-reverse)
      • Suspension: Torsion Bar
  • Crew:
    • Commander
    • Gunner
    • Loader
    • Driver
  • Features:
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • LIRD-3A Laser Warning Receiver
    • 2x IS-6 Smoke Grenade Launchers
      • Holds 12x Smoke Grenades, 6x on each side.
    • ESS
    • Armor:
      • Super Blazer ERA
    • Optics:
      • 2nd-generation IR Passive Sights:
        • Gunner: SGS-55 (Night Vision Device)
        • Commander: COMTOS-55 (Night Vision Device)
        • Driver: CODRIS (Night Vision Device)
  • In-game :
    • Powerful, upgraded main battle tank, featuring laser warning receivers, day/night sights, strong ERA against HEAT-shaped charges, and a wide variety of munitions including the powerful M426 APFSDS-T (with around 430mm of penetration at PB), the M-55S would fill a valuable role around 9.0 as a brawler tank that is capable of taking punishment. Even when the Gunner is knocked out, the Commander due to his COMTOS-55 sight can take control of the tanks Gunnery systems and engage targets. One thing that limits this vehicle's capabilities at higher ranks is the lack of thermals. Operators should take caution when on night maps. 
    • Estimated Battle Rating: 9.0.
  • Sources:
    1. https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/m-55.htm
    2. http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1398.html
    3. https://tankhistoria.com/modern-day/m-55s/
    4. https://www.slovenskavojska.si/en/weapons-and-equipment/armoured-units/
    5. https://pdf.medicalexpo.com/pdf/fotona/l-i-r-d-4/72254-140702.html
    6. http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product.php?prodID=3785&printmode=1#:~:text=The purpose of the LIRD,or a laser illuminator%2Fdesignator.
    7. http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product3849.html
    8. Oklep na Slovenskem by Iztok Kočevar
      • Spoiler

26c9mKN.jpg

XGad97t.jpg

PvlL1mx.jpg

5cb9jsM.jpg

Imagery:

Spoiler

Tank_-_ST_Ravne_M-55_S_5.jpg

M-55S_SV.jpg

l6VErHs.jpeg

lZvkG30.jpeg

Front views of the M-55S.

Tank_-_ST_Ravne_M-55_S_3.jpg

Tank_-_ST_Ravne_M-55_S_2.jpg

Rear views of the M-55S.

gGijyef.jpeg

Side view of the M-55S.

ngcb3

An M-84 and M-55S during exercises.

wbZWSLG.jpeg

8VPjEPs.jpeg

The M-55S during exercises.

VNnpKUr.jpeg

View of the multiple optics/electronics of the M-55S.

ZJy4Wd1.jpeg

Gunner's Station in the front and Commander's station in the back. Note: The black circle with the white bearing markers in the middle of the image, left of the Commander's Sight is the Laser Warning Receiver.

FPVYWZF.jpeg

Commander's Station, located behind the Gunner.

rq2AJH5.jpeg

The COMTOS-55 sight.

7kOFDBa.jpeg

Driver's Station equipped with CODRIS Day/Night sight in the M-55S.

IHoPp6t.jpeg

CODRIS Day/Night Sight.

AHbhVUr.jpg

A view of one CNR-900 radio in a standard variant of the M-55S (top left corner). To the right is a master control station for the VIC-1 intercom system.

NkVMWnx.jpg

A view of two CNR-900 radios in a command variant of M-55S. Below them is an ammo rack for one round.

Y8UFPos.jpeg

Armor layout of the M-55S.

Videos covering the M-55S.

Edited by Yontzee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Yontzee changed the title to M-55S: Slovenian Wrath
  • Suggestion Moderator

Open for Discussion :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 One of my favorite tanks!

Here is a picture of M-55S and its rounds. From left to right:

- M156 (HESH)

- M152/3 (HEATFS)

- M426 (APFSDS)

6d9caaf.jpg izbinvI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

+1 interesting vehicle for the mighty Yugoslavia tree.

Quite surprise this thing was approved first than the T54M. @Yontzee

EDIT: fixed because type too quick it became misinformation.

Edited by Bigboi_SaiGon
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bigboi_SaiGon said:

+1 interesting vehicle for event of Italy/Israel tree.

quite surprise this thing was approved. @Yontzee

Laughable

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Mahiwew said:

Laughable

Sorry for the misinformation which i typed so quick. Because Yontzee is creating both suggestions for Slovenian M-55S(It could be on the Yugo tree if mighty Gaijin add it) and T-54M Vietnamese modernized at the same time.(I guess) but this thing get approve first so I didn't see this coming.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bigboi_SaiGon said:

Sorry for the misinformation which i typed so quick. Because Yontzee is creating both suggestions for Slovenian M-55S(It could be on the Yugo tree if mighty Gaijin add it) and T-54M Vietnamese modernized at the same time.(I guess) but this thing get approve first so I didn't see this coming.

No worries mate, the T-54M is still pending and just waiting on it to be approved :salute:

Edited by Yontzee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IF ... and again, IF no other new nations are introduced .... like Yugo or Ukraine .... then M-55S can be added to the Israeli TT instead of Ru TT.
Ru TT is already filled to the brim and with many other tank models still left to be added (like T-55M6 etc etc ...), and since Israeli's Elbit Systems helped with the modernization...  you know ... this thing can bolster the Israeli TT instead.
Again, the above suggestion is only IF 
no other new nations are introduced.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
medal

On 17/04/2023 at 09:39, Raiden_Black said:

IF ... and again, IF no other new nations are introduced .... like Yugo or Ukraine .... then M-55S can be added to the Israeli TT instead of Ru TT.
Ru TT is already filled to the brim and with many other tank models still left to be added (like T-55M6 etc etc ...), and since Israeli's Elbit Systems helped with the modernization...  you know ... this thing can bolster the Israeli TT instead.
Again, the above suggestion is only IF 
no other new nations are introduced.

It was already datamined for the Soviet tech tree.

4 minutes ago, Kingtiez@live said:

It was already datamined for the Soviet tech tree.

I know, hence I posted my alternate opinion ... Soviet TT have numerous other 100mm, 115mm, 125mm equipped armored vehicle variants from history to choose from ... so why not give this particular variant to another TT where it might bring in some variety than adding to the already saturated Soviet TT?

• Confused 1
medal

22 minutes ago, Raiden_Black said:

I know, hence I posted my alternate opinion ... Soviet TT have numerous other 100mm, 115mm, 125mm equipped armored vehicle variants from history to choose from ... so why not give this particular variant to another TT where it might bring in some variety than adding to the already saturated Soviet TT?

I don’t see a issue with it really, you can already have the same amount of vehicles in a lineup and tech trees should be as big as they can get, it brings more for people to grind.

Also I doubt the two nations you recommended will get their own trees, we got the Czech AA piece which would’ve fit into the Yugoslavian tech tree and Ukraine is technically already in the Soviet tree with Kharkov plant vehicles.

if possible though, I would like to see a Yugoslavian tech tree, I don’t care how it’s implemented, I just like Yugoslavian vehicles.

Edited by Kingtiez@live

35 minutes ago, Kingtiez@live said:

I don’t see a issue with it really, you can already have the same amount of vehicles in a lineup and tech trees should be as big as they can get, it brings more for people to grind.

Also I doubt the two nations you recommended will get their own trees, we got the Czech AA piece which would’ve fit into the Yugoslavian tech tree and Ukraine is technically already in the Soviet tree with Kharkov plant vehicles.

if possible though, I would like to see a Yugoslavian tech tree, I don’t care how it’s implemented, I just like Yugoslavian vehicles.

I actually proposed adding M-55S as a Premium Israeli vehicle ... if its added to Soviet tree, it'll also be an premium/event vehicle there anyways.
And Adding the Slovak T-72M2 Moderna to Soviet tree was another dumb idea. Should've reserved it for a future yugo/czech tree ... and added some other Russian T-72 variant instead like T-72M1M
(and as for Ukrainian tree vehicles, people usually refer to post soviet dissolution Ukrainian modified/manufactured vehicles ... so implemented Israeli TT style)

medal

3 hours ago, Raiden_Black said:

I actually proposed adding M-55S as a Premium Israeli vehicle ... if its added to Soviet tree, it'll also be an premium/event vehicle there anyways.
And Adding the Slovak T-72M2 Moderna to Soviet tree was another dumb idea. Should've reserved it for a future yugo/czech tree ... and added some other Russian T-72 variant instead like T-72M1M
(and as for Ukrainian tree vehicles, people usually refer to post soviet dissolution Ukrainian modified/manufactured vehicles ... so implemented Israeli TT style)

Theres still a chance for Slovakia to get its own tree in some way, all their vehicles so far as I know have been implemented as event rewards, for Czechoslovakia it’s looking like they will end up in the Soviet tech tree as we just got the Praga in the research tree (but this could be a one off, idk) as for Ukraine, it’s best to put them into the Soviet tech tree and branch their vehicles off from their respective Soviet predecessors, this will help them with their lineups. The community will always be split on Ukraine no matter how it’s implemented, it just makes more sense. The only real argument people have is that “Soviets already have too many vehicles”, it’s not an argument or factor which trees receive what.

Edited by Kingtiez@live
  • Confused 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2023 at 19:01, Kingtiez@live said:

Theres still a chance for Slovakia to get its own tree in some way, all their vehicles so far as I know have been implemented as event rewards, for Czechoslovakia it’s looking like they will end up in the Soviet tech tree as we just got the Praga in the research tree (but this could be a one off, idk)

Slovakia is basically impossible to add independently, as the nation was for most of the 20th century (exept for WW2 and post-1993) a part of Czechoslovakia and thus wouldnt have nearly enough vehicles to fill the gaps. Such a tree would be even worse than Israeli one. Czechoslovak techtree on the other hand is more than possible, and, if Gaijin tried hard enough, it could be larger than most in-game nations. The ground proposal i made for example has 149 vehicles, making it the 2nd largest techtree in game if implemented exactly as i propose. All that while only 10 vehicles are completely copy-paste, 97 are fully indigenous and 47 are heavily upgraded licenses. I ofcourse wouldnt expect Gaijin to add such a large tree for a nation such as Czechoslovakia, but they could easily make a smaller one, similiar to Swedish tree in both number of vehicles and originality. 

As for the M53/59 Ještěrka, its addition into researchable part of the Soviet tree shouldnt make it impossible to add into Czechoslovak one. For example, we´ve had Italian aircraft like CR.42, G.50 or S.M.79 avaiable for research in the German techtree before Italy was added (i actually have some of those planes unlocked in German tt), and Gaijin didnt have any problems with that. They just moved those planes into event/premium line and made them no longer researchable for German players. They can do the exact same thing with the Praga, or they can just change the operator country for Egypt, Syria, Cuba or some other nation like that (Yugoslavia is possible too but i guess that if Czechoslovakia was to come into the game, we can expect Yugoslavia to also get added in the future)

• Upvote 1
medal