Merkava Prototypes - The beginnings of legendary tank.

Merkko

Merkava Prototypes - The beginnings of legendary tank.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see these prototypes added to the game ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you voted YES , which ones should be added ?

• Early Type
    • Late Type Mod.001
    • Late Type Mod.002/M48
    • Late Type Mod.002
    • I voted No
  3. 3. If you voted for "Early Type", how it shold be implemented ?

• Researchable
    • Premium
    • Event
    • Squadroon
    • I Voted No
    • I Don't Know / I Don't Care
  4. 4. If you voted for "Late Type Mod.001", how it shold be implemented ?

• Researchable
    • Premium
    • Event
    • Squadroon
    • I Voted No
  5. 5. If you voted for "Late Type Mod.002/M48", how it shold be implemented ?

• Researchable
    • Premium
    • Event
    • Squadroon
    • I Voted No
  6. 6. If you voted for "Late Type Mod.002", how it shold be implemented ?

• Researchable
    • Premium
    • Event
    • Squadroon
    • I Voted No

1116729502_idfemblem.png.2dfe05436623d0f

Merkava Prototyes

61508_original.jpg

PS* The specifications are assumed, if there is any proper sources. Then please correct me.

History in general:

The "Merkava" program with goal to develop first domestic israeli tank was implemented in August 1970, shortly after the UK refused to sell the Chieftain tanks to Israel. The design work was headed by Major General Israel Tal, which is unusual for the world practice of tank building. Tal was not an engineer, but a combat officer, a participant in all the Arab-Israeli wars. A steel model of the tank was made already in April 1971, during 1972 the concept of the front placement of the engine compartment was worked out on a converted Shot tank (Centurion). The first Shot-based Protototype was very basic its whole task was to test the possibility of a new layout of the concept ( mainly engine cooling ). Some time after more advanced model was made on the base of Centurion, so much advanced so the original form is indistinguishable. In December 1974, the first two entairly domestic prototypes were built. The first 4 serial tanks were handed over to the IDF in April 1979, and in October of the same year, the Merkava Mk.1 was officially put into service.

Early Prototypes ( 1972 - 1973 )

Up to this point, only wooden or steel models were produced. At this point prototypes have reached a higher level. Two Centurion tanks (known in Israel as Shot) damaged during the Six Day War were converted into merkava. The tanks were split up and welded up with steel plates in the middle in order to widen tank to fit the new configuration.  The first conversion was handed over to check the engine cooling and nothing more. The second one was more advanced. The only thing left of the centurion is the track base. the model went frough both driving and firing trials.

Merkava Early Prototype 

img%2027-min.jpg

Many sources say that only one Prototype was built on the Base of centurion for engine tests, missing out this tank. This prototype takes an important step between first running models and final fully domestic prototypes. While based on centurion, almost nothing is left from origin. It went frough driving and firing trials. As of now Prototype hull is at a display in Batey Ha-Osev Museum in Tel Aviv.

imagery:

Spoiler

IMPORTANT !!!

Pictures are inverted, most probably due to the secrecy of this project at the time. Notice driver hatch, it should be at the left side as on regular Merkavas.

Prototype at firing range, pictures from Lieutenant Colonel Yigal Ben Shahar collection.

img036.jpg

img012.jpg

Prototype hull at a display in Batey Osev Museum, Tel Aviv

64760_original.jpg

64942_original.jpg

65551_original.jpg

65096_original.jpg

65375_original.jpg

Late Prototypes ( 1974 - )

In December 1974, the first entairly domestic prototype was built. mod 001. Model 001 was a workhorse and was used for the initial familiarization of groups of tank troops from the tank training department (TAKHASH) at the 5050 training ground in Arava (before the Yom Kippur War), as well as for auto-technical tests in Bikat A-Yareah in 1974, and then for tank tests on various reliefs in Israel, which continued into 1976. In parallel with the preparation for adoption and the creation of a production line, an additional model 002 was made, including refinements made during development and testing, and it became a model for a serial tank. Both models are very advanced and close to production models of the first merkavas. They are mostly differ only in their external appeirance. Eventually prototype 002 became model for production tank, but slight changes were made. Like the addition of bustle rack, a slightly different side skirt design and more in-depth location of the right spotlight.

Merkava Late Prototype mod.001

img%2031-min.jpg

Model 001 slightly differs in hull design to Model 002, but the turret is the same. It is said that in the brginning it was equipped with M48 turret but there is no visual evedance to it. Although the Prototype of mod 002 which was made a bit later than mod 001 had a variasion of it with M48 turret installed for running trials. The Mod 001 was a workhorse for development work, trainings and trials. Prototypes were first revieled to the public In May 1977, when the first media report appeared about the development of an Israeli-made Merkava tank. On the cover of the magazine "Maarahot" dated June 1977, a color photograph of the Merkava-1 of model 001 was published public and then at independence day of 1978 at tank parade in Jerusalem both mod 001 and 002 were shown. As of now original 001 model is at a display at Batey Ha-Osev Museum in Tel Aviv. But it has turret of production model istalled.

imagery:

Spoiler

50724_original.jpg

50337_original.jpg

52569_original.jpg

51247_original.jpg

Prototype at firing range, pictures from Lieutenant Colonel Yigal Ben Shahar collection, as we seen with Early prototype on the based of Centurion.

These pictures are also inverted.

img025.jpg

20-11-2014%2012-00-03-N.jpg

Maarahot magazine. June 1977.

51654_original.jpg

001 model is at a display at Batey Ha-Osev Museum in Tel Aviv. The 

66878_original.jpg

66027_original.jpg

Merkava Late Prototype mod.002/M48

60059_original.jpg

The Model 002 with Magach 3 turret, the purpose of installing Magach 3 turret on merkava prototype was to add a counterweight on the tank for running trials. It is also known from written evidence that model 001 was also eqipped with M48 turret, but there is no pictures to be found. The magach 3 turret was remooved after trials and model 002 recieved its more familiar turret. As of now original 002 model is at a display at Yad La Shirion Museum in Latrun.

Merkava Late Prototype mod.002

img%2030-min.jpg

At the last stages of development, after numerous tests and trials on model 001. Model 002 was developed based on refinements made during development , and it eventually became a model for a serial tank. prototype was first shown to the public on a 1978 independence day at tank parade in Jerusalem. As of now original 002 model is at a display at Yad La Shirion Museum in Latrun.

imagery:

Spoiler

49946_original.jpg

002 model is at a display at Yad La Shirion Museum in Latrun. For some reason side skirts are of production model, which is seen by the distinctive breakage of a semicircle in the front section

61047_original.jpg

66049_original.jpg

Very accurate 3D model made by teodor775

2.jpg

3a.jpg

4.jpg

6a.jpg

In General About Prototypes Protection, Mobility and Firepower.

Protection

Protection-wise these prototypes are very similar to production model of Merkava. Israel at the time didnt had time, money nor capabilities to make composite armor for the new tank. So a clever mindset helped to solve this problem, each module was placed in such a way that it would not let incoming projectiles to kill or injure crew members, and the armor, being not so thick, was placed at angles to make almost all projectiles ricochet.

These prototypes have the same module layout as the production model. The armor couldn't be worse, as the production model was never famous for its armor thickness. But the angle at which it is located. But only the Mod.002/M48 stands out from the proposed vehicles, because, as the name suggests, it has a turret from the M48, to be exact Magach 3. It does not have good angles and can be easily penetrated, plus its first stage 16 rounds ammo rack is in line with the driver, which is the weak spot of the merkava hull.

Mobility

In terms of mobility, these prototypes are equal. What engines they were equipped with is unknown, since there are very few sources confirming this. So one can only guess. At that time, IDF armored corps used almost exclusively Teledyne Continental AVDS-1790 series engines of various models. Early and late prototypes are unknown what engines and transmissions were equipped. So it can be assumed that given the large mass of the Merkava from the early stages of development, the same 900 hp engine was used as on the production model. 

Firepower

In terms of Firepower, these prototypes are also equal. But here no gueses are needed, all of them are armed with 105mm M68. The gun at the time was a workhorse of IDF, it was installed on everything, from Magach's (M48/M60) and Shot's (Centurion) to Captured Tiran's (T-54/T-55). The gun is pretty good, and it can fire both locally produced M152 HEATFS and powerful M111 APFSDS. In therms of secondary armament prototypes are very poor compared to other Israeli tanks. In terms of MG's prototypes are differing from only one 7.62mm MG Coax to one or two roof mounted 7.62mm MG's. And talking about smoke grenades, prototypes neither have launchers nor external mortar (as on produced versions). The optics are mostly the same too, as on production version they have night vision exept the Mod.002/M48 which borrows optics with the turret from Magach 3. The Mod.002/M48 also dosent have any gun stabilization.

Specifications                    (1)                            (2)                                   (3)                                    (4)       

PS* The "?" symbol means that the specs are assumed

Early Type                         Late Type Mod.001                         Late Type Mod.002/M48                         Late Type Mod.002

Dimensions
Length Gun Forward -                             8.35m ?                                     8.30m                                               8.30m ?                                                    8.30m
Length Hull -                                           7.50m ?                                      7.45m                                               7.45m                                                      7.45m
Width -                                                     3.7m ?                                       3.7m                                                  3.7m                                                        3.7m
Height -                                                   2.65m ?                                      2.65m                                               2.64m ?                                                   2.65m
Weight -                                                  59-61 t ?                                      61 t                                                  59-61 t ?                                                    61 t

Mobility
Engine - 900hp Teledyne Continental AVDS-1790-6A V12 air-cooled diesel 

Transmission -                                                                                                   Allison CD850-6BX  (2 fwd, 1 rev)                       

Power To Weight Ratio -                       15 hp/t ?                                     14.75 hp/t                                           15 hp/t ?                                                 14.75 hp/t             
Top Road Speed -                                47.5 km/h ?                                  46 km/h                                           47.5 km/h ?                                                46 km/h   
Suspension Type -                         Hortsman suspension                    Helical spring                                      Helical spring                                         Helical spring

Firepower
Main Gun -                                                                                                                     M68 105mm Rifled
Secondary Weapons -                x1 / x2 7.62mm MG's                  x2 / x3 7.62mm MG's                               x1 7.62mm MG                                  x2 / x3 7.62mm MG's

Ammunition Storage -          x54 105mm (x7 ready rack) ?        x54 105mm (x7 ready rack)               x69 105mm (x22 ready rack) ?                 x54 105mm (x7 ready rack)

Stabilazed -                                            N/A                                                Yes                                                       No                                                           Yes

Protection
Armor Type -                                                                                                                Cast and Welded steel

Crew

Commander    
                                                                                                                                                Gunner    
                                                                                                                                                 Loader    
                                                                                                                                                 Driver

Total - 4

Conclusions

In conclusion, Merkavas are always fun to play, I suggested these to bring more options to choose. Curently the lowest BR Merkava Mk.1B in israeli tree is at 9.0, and US tree has Mk.1 version that comes without thermals at 8.7. These prototypes obiosly dont have Thermals as Mk.1 and can be added as another tech tree Merkavas or as premium or event at battle raitings of 8.7 and lower. The Mod.002/M48 even doesent have stabilizer and gunner sight night vision, because the turret is of Magach 3. 

If you are interested, you can look up to my preveous suggestions here .

If you noticed any mistakes in my post or you have sources that can improove my suggestion please comment, thank you and see you next time ! :p:

Sources

Main sources:

https://david-2.livejournal.com/445887.html

https://yadlashiryon.com/news/5-ביוני-2016-סיפור-דגמי-הפיתוח-של-טנק-המרכבה/

Secondary:

https://naukatehnika.com/izrailskij-osnovnoj-boevoj-tank-merkava-chast-2-vsya.html

https://www.himush.co.il/?item=5131&section=1130

https://waronline.org/fora/index.php?threads/Создание-и-прототипы-Меркавы.5652/page-2#post-1724445

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkava

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Меркава

Edited by Merkko
Fixed some text errors.

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.

IMO the only prototype that should exist in game is the Merkava 1A. Every other prototype is either missing far too much information, or was downright unusable.

The Magach 3 turret couldn't even turn or fire, so that one's a dud.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

40 minutes ago, Zucc_Boi said:

IMO the only prototype that should exist in game is the Merkava 1A. Every other prototype is either missing far too much information, or was downright unusable.

Fair enough, finding information on these was hell. I agree with you, it is not necessary to add all prototypes, I presented all possible options.

42 minutes ago, Zucc_Boi said:

Didn't know about that fact. :good:

4 hours ago, Zucc_Boi said:

I hate to be the person, but there are many vehicles in game which have heavy inaccuracies or feature things that did not exist, so personally I see no issue with receiving these interesting pieces of tank history. 

medal medal medal

12 hours ago, Merkko said:

Fair enough, finding information on these was hell. I agree with you, it is not necessary to add all prototypes, I presented all possible options.

Didn't know about that fact. :good:

While I personally wouldn't want them in game, I do appreciate the effort in writing this suggestion. Definitely not an easy one!

• Thanks 1
medal medal