Mig 29 radar queries

Horrorcranky

1) why doesnt the mig 29 have a SRC radar mode? I am only able to switch between SRC PD, SRC PD HDN and their respective TWS modes. I like to use SRC for high altitudes but the mig 29 seems like the only aircraft that doesnt have SRC.

2) which radar mode is better for head-on missile jousting? SRC PD or SRC PD HDN?

21 minutes ago, Horrorcranky said:

1) why doesnt the mig 29 have a SRC radar mode? I am only able to switch between SRC PD, SRC PD HDN and their respective TWS modes. I like to use SRC for high altitudes but the mig 29 seems like the only aircraft that doesnt have SRC.

2) which radar mode is better for head-on missile jousting? SRC PD or SRC PD HDN?

SRC PD HDN with longer range used only for search, and SRC PD used for launch radar missiles.

Edited by Zero_Seeker
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, Zero_Seeker said:

SRC PD HDN with longer range used only for search, and SRC PD used for launch radar missiles.

so which radar should i use for no notching? because you cant notch a radar in SRC mode

6 minutes ago, Thodin said:

When should I use Search PD HDN mode and when Search PD?

(Is there somewhere a general radar guided explaining all these abreviations?)

PD HDN mode - HPRF search

+Long detection distance (65km)

-Look down only for head-on

-Large blind speed section (speed gate 150 m/s)

-Large blind area (9km)

PD mode - MPRF search

-Near detection distance (35km)

+Good Doppler filtering performance (speed gate 24m/s)

+Omnidirectional look down

(Translated by software, for Mig-29)

Edited by Zero_Seeker
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Zero_Seeker said:

PD HDN mode - HPRF search

+Long detection distance (65km)

-Look down only for head-on

-Large blind speed section (speed gate 150 m/s)

-Large blind area (9km)

PD mode - MPRF search

-Near detection distance (35km)

+Good Doppler filtering performance (speed gate 24m/s)

+Omnidirectional look down

(Translated by software, for Mig-29)

thanks. that helps alot

Another question to radar related ordnance.

Imho the best Mig-29 missile seems to be the R-27ER. But, I can't really understand the statcard values. Launch range...lock range....control / guidance time. Launch range is even like 100 km or something. But ofc the missile never makes it that far. So on what range should I use it to get a reliable chance to hit the enemy?

Should I use the Search PD HDN setting for long range combat and Search PD for closer ranges? Or should I always just use the Seach PD mode?

Edited by Thodin
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 hours ago, Thodin said:

Imho the best Mig-29 missile seems to be the R-27ER. But, I can't really understand the statcard values. Launch range...lock range....control / guidance time. Launch range is even like 100 km or something. But ofc the missile never makes it that far. So on what range should I use it to get a reliable chance to hit the enemy?

effective range gets displayed on your radar. Its too much dependant on external factors to give a single value

The two shorter green bars are the engagement zone where a hit is likely, the longer green bar the current range

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/485523264437747722/1084372529617055764/image.png

• Thanks 2
medal

On 12/03/2023 at 00:59, Thodin said:

Another question to radar related ordnance.

Should I use the Search PD HDN setting for long range combat and Search PD for closer ranges? Or should I always just use the Seach PD mode?

If u aren't good at piano, use only Search PD is enough, when flying close to the ground, the best launch range is 10km, and it also the range u can lock enemy with HMD, when flying in high altitude, 12-14km maybe the best, u can hit them in longer range if they do only keep forward to u.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zero_Seeker said:

If u aren't good at piano, use only Search PD is enough, when flying close to the ground, the best launch range is 10km, and it also the range u can lock enemy with HMD, when flying in high altitude, 12-14km maybe the best, u can hit them in longer range if they do only keep forward to u.

Would you also recommend the R-27T and Irst lock instead of radar guided R-27ER? The latter one seems to work well, even for beginners. Is the R-27T flare resistant?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Thodin said:

Would you also recommend the R-27T and Irst lock instead of radar guided R-27ER? The latter one seems to work well, even for beginners. Is the R-27T flare resistant?

R-27T do better in GRB, it won't trigger RWR and in GRB player can't see the missile icon.

Play ARB with R-27ER is the best choice, before the new gen of IR missiles showed in game, carry as many radar missiles as u can in ARB is the truth.

Edited by Zero_Seeker

• 2 months later...
On 14/03/2023 at 01:38, Thodin said:

sadly R-27T right now is worse than R-24R in terms of range and flare resistance. id take the the ER any day