Leopard 2A7NO

Til_Dovre_Faller

Would you like to see this in-game?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this in-game?

2. 2. would you like to see this in a new Danish/Norwegian/Icelandic tech tree?

3. 3. Would you like to see this in in a Scandinavian tree? Consisting of Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and Denmark?

Leopard 2A7NO

To-stk-Leopard-2-stridsvogner-pa-Setermo

Medium tank 54x

ARMAMENT

1x 120mm long version Smooth bore (L55 A1) cannon

• Ammunition: 42 rounds
  • Vertical elevation: -7.4º to +17.4º
  • Horizontal n x 360°
  • Ignition programmable high explosive ammunition
  • Fully stabilised

1x FN MAG General Purpose Machine Gun 7.62mm

• Fully stabilized coaxial mitral valve
  • coaxial

12x 76 mm Universal grenade launcher system

SYSTEMS

• Auxiliary telescope FERO Z18
    • Magnification 8x.
  • COMMANDER SIGHT PERI RTWL
    • Elevation: -15º to +45º
    • Glass optics direct view
    • Thermal camera ATTICA, 3rd gen.: Recorded wavelength: 3 – 5 µm or 8 – 12 µm
    • Laser rangefinder (as desired in P5050 Norway)
    • CCD camera
  • Gunners Sight sight EMES 15
    • Glass optics live view: 12x / 3x
    • Thermal camera ATTICA 3rd gen.: Recorded wavelength: 3 – 5 μm or 8 – 12 μm
    • Laser distance meter
  • Battlefield Management System (BMS) with interface to hybrid navigation system with GPS.
  • SOTAS intercom and external telephone between tank and infantry.
  • Fully digitized gun alignment system.
  • Drivers Sight
    • Modern day and night cameras for truck drivers with combinable images (front and rear)

TECHNICAL DATA

Crew: 4

Length (tower straight forward): 10,968 mm

Width: 3774 mm

Height (PERI): 3180 mm

Weight loaded: 64.3 t

Weight empty: 61.5 t

Engine: MTU universal fuel engine drive unit 47,600 ccm, 1,500 hp

PERFORMANCE

Max. speed backwards/forwards: 28 km/h / 60 km/h

Slope forward: 60%
Side slope: 30%
Ditch crossing: 3.0 m
Vertical obstacles: 1.05 m
Wading depth: up to 4.0 m

ADDITIONAL
Tower and chassis cooling systems.
Modular full-coverage protection kit (360° protection against RPG) which has proven effectiveness in combat.
Roof protection with sliding shutters.
Mobile Camouflage System (Visual/IR).
Technical front equipment.
Active Protection System (APS).
Snow/smoke protection system.
Auxiliary power unit: 20 kW electrical power

ABC protection system

Mine protection: Combat-proven anti-mine and IED protection kit

History

i do not yet have acess to the specific Norwegian modifications on this tank. but hopefully soon

The Leopard was developed on the basis of experiences from World War 2 and experiences gained in the post-war period. The wagon was developed in the late 1950s/early 60s, the first ones then entered German service in 1965 and have since been Germany's standard tank. It has also undergone a number of upgrades over the years and has now come in yet another new and improved edition. Leopard 1 has been in use in a number of countries around the world, including Australia and Canada. Today, Leopard 1 is on its way out of the installations of quite a few countries, which has meant that a number of new user countries have also come up, there are countries such as Brazil and Chile.

In the years around 1970, Norway bought 78 medium-heavy Leopard 1 tanks

Due to the CFE agreement that Nato has entered into, various countries such as Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium etc, had to significantly reduce the number of tanks. in 1992/1993, however, scrapped earlier models such as the NM166 and others and instead bought cheaper tanks from Germany, which then had to get rid of a number of tanks in order to meet the requirements of the CFE agreement.

92 Leopard 1s, of which 33 were upgraded to Leopard 1A5NO standard, while 59 tanks were retained with a lower standard, which was then designated Leopard 1A1NO.

So in the 1990s Norway had 170 Leopard 1 medium heavy tanks, of which 111 were Leopard 1A5NO Mk.I and 59 of them were Leopard 1A1NO

Around 1992, 92 used Leopard 1 A1A4's were purchased from Germany, 33 of which were modified to A5 standard. The last 59 wagons were only given a simple modification and preparation at the Trandum technical workshop. The modernization's were mainly to install laser rangefinders ( NM128 (Simrad LV3) and  (these were taken from NM 116). the wagons were designated Leopard 1 A1NO. The Leopard 1 A1NO was replaced by the Leopard 2A4. most of the wagons were chopped, 4 hulls were kept for school wagons, a fully operational wagon and 3 static exhibition wagons went to the FMU (the defense museum)

The development of the Leopard 2 started as early as 1969/1970, and the prototype Leopard 2AV was delivered in 1976. In 1977, Germany ordered 1,800 wagons. Later, 325 more wagons were ordered so that the total number of wagons in Germany was 2125. The Netherlands and Switzerland have also acquired new Leopard 2A4s. Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Poland have acquired used wagons from the Netherlands

In 2001, a contract was signed with the Netherlands for the purchase of 52 used Leopard 2A4s. The first wagons were delivered to Norway in September 2001. Then a further 8 wagons arrived before Christmas 2001. The remaining 42 were delivered during 2002

All the wagons were sent to Romerrike Tekniske Verksted for minor modifications (Norwegian adaptations) such as a new intercom, installation of MMR, new nitrogen-based fire extinguishing system for the engine compartment, 76mm smoke launchers, Norwegian marks and various holders are some of the modifications.

MG-3 machine guns were planned to be used as secondary armament on the vehicles. When it later turned out that large, extensive and expensive modifications were needed on the turret to adapt the MG3, it was decided that the FN MAG machine gun that had been used previously on the carriages should be used. Used FN MAGs from the Netherlands were procured of the infantry version LV-MITR and coaxial version types. The first 2 prototypes were handed over to the users in April 2002. After a trial of the various solutions, the production of the wagons started at RTV and on 31 August 2003 13 wagons were handed over to FIST-H and 2 wagons with driving cabins to KampUKS

Further convensions included the fitting of a stowage box over the complete widht of the rear turret, fitting a GPS antenna and replacing the Dutch Philips radios. One by one The Leopard 2A4NO recieved a new olive-drab overall camouflage. Notable is that during exercises in the wintertime the heavy frontal sideskirts are often replaced by the lighter Leopard 1 side skirts, this reduces damage to the heavier type.

The latest aquired and upgraded Leopard 2A4NO's are aging, and newer and more modern tanks have long been needed. ecpecially after we donated 8Leopard 2A4NO's to Ukraine. to assist them in the Russian-Ukraine war.

In Februar 2023 it was announced that Norway, despite an extremely large amount of disagreements and arguments would buy 54 new Leopard 2A7NO tanks with an option for 18 more tanks. The expected delivery time for these is in 2026 

PICTURES AND IMPORTANT DETAILS

SOURCES

If you got any additional information, tips or advice please comment or send me a message and i will try and improve the post. if you decide to add this, and need more details. send me a message!

Til_Dovre_Faller

Edited by Til_Dovre_Faller
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for Discussion :)

• Thanks 2

Leopard 2A7NO is No more! ( Rip ).

Long Live Leopard 2A8NO!

Norwegian army to get 54 redesignated Leopard 2A8 NOR MBTs | Defense News June 2023 Global Security army industry | Defense Security global news industry army year 2023 | Archive News year (armyrecognition.com)

( edit. this is not a verified story. so please ignore till confirmed )

Edited by eleks12
this is not a verified story. so please ignore till confirmed
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, eleks12 said:

I havent seen any reports of this here in norway, so i would wait a while for a more reliable source

20 minutes ago, eleks12 said:

So 2A7NO got wrapped up before even seeing prototype stage right ? Since the one participated test in Norway was regular 2A7+, if the news are true, this suggestions (and sadly @Til_Dovre_Faller's efforts) serves no purpose. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Dewastor said:

So 2A7NO got wrapped up before even seeing prototype stage right ? Since the one participated test in Norway was regular 2A7+, if the news are true, this suggestions (and sadly @Til_Dovre_Faller's efforts) serves no purpose. 

no. If the article from Army recognition is correct. then The Leopard 2A7NO is just a "Technology Demonstrator" Just like the K2NO. Which is still a Valid suggestion.

Also @Til_Dovre_Faller i think you're fair to have a bit of salt on this article since im also running through Forsvaret.no and Norwegian MSM for articles and can't find any as of yet. maybe we gonna get some in the coming hours or days. cuz a big site as Army Recognition usually don't post BS.

I trust a trusted source from the country itself, wich in this case is Norway, more than other sources from abroad

So i won't change anything until either Forsvaret itself, NRK, Teknisk ukeblad or some of those are making a article telling us this : )

no, they proably dont post bs,  they could possibly also be wrongly informed. There are many cases of trusted sources posting wrong information etc

10 minutes ago, Til_Dovre_Faller said:

I trust a trusted source from the country itself, wich in this case is Norway, more than other sources from abroad

So i won't change anything until either Forsvaret itself, NRK, Teknisk ukeblad or some of those are making a article telling us this : )

no, they proably dont post bs,  they could possibly also be wrongly informed. There are many cases of trusted sources posting wrong information etc

I believe you may be right. Imma edit the original funny news post to be a ignore till verified.

:kappasnail:

43 minutes ago, eleks12 said:

I believe you may be right. Imma edit the original funny news post to be a ignore till verified.

:kappasnail:

Time will show : )

Been a lot of political arguing and "drama" around those tanks the latest years, and even more the latest months/weeks

• Upvote 1

On 13/05/2023 at 12:24, Til_Dovre_Faller said:

Leopard 2A7NO

To-stk-Leopard-2-stridsvogner-pa-Setermo

Medium tank 54x

ARMAMENT

1x 120mm long version Smooth bore (L55 A1) cannon

• Ammunition: 42 rounds
  • Vertical elevation: -7.4º to +17.4º
  • Horizontal n x 360°
  • Ignition programmable high explosive ammunition
  • Fully stabilised

1x FN MAG General Purpose Machine Gun 7.62mm

• Fully stabilized coaxial mitral valve
  • coaxial

12x 76 mm Universal grenade launcher system

SYSTEMS

• Auxiliary telescope FERO Z18
    • Magnification 8x.
  • COMMANDER SIGHT PERI RTWL
    • Elevation: -15º to +45º
    • Glass optics direct view
    • Thermal camera ATTICA, 3rd gen.: Recorded wavelength: 3 – 5 µm or 8 – 12 µm
    • Laser rangefinder (as desired in P5050 Norway)
    • CCD camera
  • Gunners Sight sight EMES 15
    • Glass optics live view: 12x / 3x
    • Thermal camera ATTICA 3rd gen.: Recorded wavelength: 3 – 5 μm or 8 – 12 μm
    • Laser distance meter
  • Battlefield Management System (BMS) with interface to hybrid navigation system with GPS.
  • SOTAS intercom and external telephone between tank and infantry.
  • Fully digitized gun alignment system.
  • Drivers Sight
    • Modern day and night cameras for truck drivers with combinable images (front and rear)

TECHNICAL DATA

Crew: 4

Length (tower straight forward): 10,968 mm

Width: 3774 mm

Height (PERI): 3180 mm

Weight loaded: 64.3 t

Weight empty: 61.5 t

Engine: MTU universal fuel engine drive unit 47,600 ccm, 1,500 hp

PERFORMANCE

Max. speed backwards/forwards: 28 km/h / 60 km/h

Slope forward: 60%
Side slope: 30%
Ditch crossing: 3.0 m
Vertical obstacles: 1.05 m
Wading depth: up to 4.0 m

ADDITIONAL
Tower and chassis cooling systems.
Modular full-coverage protection kit (360° protection against RPG) which has proven effectiveness in combat.
Roof protection with sliding shutters.
Mobile Camouflage System (Visual/IR).
Technical front equipment.
Active Protection System (APS).
Snow/smoke protection system.
Auxiliary power unit: 20 kW electrical power

ABC protection system

Mine protection: Combat-proven anti-mine and IED protection kit

History

i do not yet have acess to the specific Norwegian modifications on this tank. but hopefully soon

The Leopard was developed on the basis of experiences from World War 2 and experiences gained in the post-war period. The wagon was developed in the late 1950s/early 60s, the first ones then entered German service in 1965 and have since been Germany's standard tank. It has also undergone a number of upgrades over the years and has now come in yet another new and improved edition. Leopard 1 has been in use in a number of countries around the world, including Australia and Canada. Today, Leopard 1 is on its way out of the installations of quite a few countries, which has meant that a number of new user countries have also come up, there are countries such as Brazil and Chile.

In the years around 1970, Norway bought 78 medium-heavy Leopard 1 tanks

Due to the CFE agreement that Nato has entered into, various countries such as Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium etc, had to significantly reduce the number of tanks. in 1992/1993, however, scrapped earlier models such as the NM166 and others and instead bought cheaper tanks from Germany, which then had to get rid of a number of tanks in order to meet the requirements of the CFE agreement.

92 Leopard 1s, of which 33 were upgraded to Leopard 1A5NO standard, while 59 tanks were retained with a lower standard, which was then designated Leopard 1A1NO.

So in the 1990s Norway had 170 Leopard 1 medium heavy tanks, of which 111 were Leopard 1A5NO Mk.I and 59 of them were Leopard 1A1NO

Around 1992, 92 used Leopard 1 A1A4's were purchased from Germany, 33 of which were modified to A5 standard. The last 59 wagons were only given a simple modification and preparation at the Trandum technical workshop. The modernization's were mainly to install laser rangefinders ( NM128 (Simrad LV3) and  (these were taken from NM 116). the wagons were designated Leopard 1 A1NO. The Leopard 1 A1NO was replaced by the Leopard 2A4. most of the wagons were chopped, 4 hulls were kept for school wagons, a fully operational wagon and 3 static exhibition wagons went to the FMU (the defense museum)

The development of the Leopard 2 started as early as 1969/1970, and the prototype Leopard 2AV was delivered in 1976. In 1977, Germany ordered 1,800 wagons. Later, 325 more wagons were ordered so that the total number of wagons in Germany was 2125. The Netherlands and Switzerland have also acquired new Leopard 2A4s. Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Poland have acquired used wagons from the Netherlands

In 2001, a contract was signed with the Netherlands for the purchase of 52 used Leopard 2A4s. The first wagons were delivered to Norway in September 2001. Then a further 8 wagons arrived before Christmas 2001. The remaining 42 were delivered during 2002

All the wagons were sent to Romerrike Tekniske Verksted for minor modifications (Norwegian adaptations) such as a new intercom, installation of MMR, new nitrogen-based fire extinguishing system for the engine compartment, 76mm smoke launchers, Norwegian marks and various holders are some of the modifications.

MG-3 machine guns were planned to be used as secondary armament on the vehicles. When it later turned out that large, extensive and expensive modifications were needed on the turret to adapt the MG3, it was decided that the FN MAG machine gun that had been used previously on the carriages should be used. Used FN MAGs from the Netherlands were procured of the infantry version LV-MITR and coaxial version types. The first 2 prototypes were handed over to the users in April 2002. After a trial of the various solutions, the production of the wagons started at RTV and on 31 August 2003 13 wagons were handed over to FIST-H and 2 wagons with driving cabins to KampUKS

Further convensions included the fitting of a stowage box over the complete widht of the rear turret, fitting a GPS antenna and replacing the Dutch Philips radios. One by one The Leopard 2A4NO recieved a new olive-drab overall camouflage. Notable is that during exercises in the wintertime the heavy frontal sideskirts are often replaced by the lighter Leopard 1 side skirts, this reduces damage to the heavier type.

The latest aquired and upgraded Leopard 2A4NO's are aging, and newer and more modern tanks have long been needed. ecpecially after we donated 8Leopard 2A4NO's to Ukraine. to assist them in the Russian-Ukraine war.

In Februar 2023 it was announced that Norway, despite an extremely large amount of disagreements and arguments would buy 54 new Leopard 2A7NO tanks with an option for 18 more tanks. The expected delivery time for these is in 2026 

PICTURES AND IMPORTANT DETAILS

Reveal hidden contents

SOURCES

If you got any additional information, tips or advice please comment or send me a message and i will try and improve the post. if you decide to add this, and need more details. send me a message!

Til_Dovre_Faller

Since they're coming out with the Leopard 2A8NO, when it drops, you gotta make a suggestion for it :D

According to a few articles, Norway’s purchase of the Leopard 2A7 back in February has been re-designated to the Leopard 2A8 due to the additional specifications requested by Norway. It will be known as the Leopard 2A8NO and will feature a few extra changes to meet Norway’s specific needs. They will be delivered between 2026 and 2031.

Sources:

1.) https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_june_2023_global_security_army_industry/norwegian_army_to_get_54_redesignated_leopard_2a8_nor_mbts.html

2.) https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/configuration-is-finalised-for-norways-leopard-2a8-tank-order/

medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 hours ago, Til_Dovre_Faller said:

Interestingly tu.no have uploaded a video about Trophy APS earlier today(15. June), where the video description mentions Leopard 2A8 NOR. Purely speculating, but I suppose this upload could be meant for an upcoming article about the finalized specifications.

https://www.tu.no/video/trophy-aps-i-bruk/2146

Honestly, it would make sense for them to up the order to A8, as the first deliveries are still years away.

Edited by Vollanium
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

1 minute ago, eleks12 said:

I see, i will take a look at it later today! I trust this magazine : )

5 minutes ago, eleks12 said:

Guess it don’t get more reliable than this source other than No Mod

The most reliable source one can get on this, is an article by Forsvaret itself, but i guess that will eventually take a while before they make one