M26 Honest John

Til_Dovre_Faller

Please take your time to read the post before you vote!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this in-game?

2. 2. How would you like to see this implemented in the game?

• Researchable
    • Premium
    • Event
    • Squadron
    • battlepass
    • another way? explain!
    • Not to be added
  3. 3. Wich tree would you like it to be impleented?

• Norwegian, Danish & icelandic techtree? (see the NDI suggestions)
    • In the Swedish/Finnish techtree
    • i don't wan't it to be implemented
    • i don't know

M26 Honest John

SCAN0072.jpg

This is taken in Norway, most likely very soon after they arrived. high ranked testers

ARMAMENT

1x MGR-1A Honest John 762mm ground to ground rocket
500 Kg TNT warhead
Nuclear warhead possibility
Various ammunition

TECHNICAL DATA

Eigne: Continetal R6602 6cyl

Fuel: Gasoline

Power: 196Hp

Top speed: 120 km/h

Length: 12.9m

Widht: 3.05m

Weight: 21.5 Tons

Crew: Unknown

History

i just want to state this first, Norway used this for a while, and so did many other countries.The country of origin, wich in this case is USA, will of cource recieve this before any of the other nations with this being used in their military.      

Launcher, Rocket, 762-mm, Truck-Mounted, M289, "Honest John" rocket launcher on M139D (modified M139C) chassis. The development of the "Honest John" missile started as early as 1950 and was the USA's first tactical nuclear weapon.

It was launched as a preliminary system in the spring of 1954. Since a lot of technology was chosen that was already available on the market, the development time was just over two years. The rocket, which had a range of approx. 34 km, could be equipped with conventional warheads (500 kg TNT) as well as nuclear and chemical weapons. The M series (G744), Truck, 5-Ton, 6x6 were used as rocket carriers. This was a type of car that was developed in the late 1940s and production started in 1950. Manufacturers were Diamond T, International Harvester, Kaiser Jeep (now AM General) and Mack.

Norwegian usage

In Norwegian service for 4 and a half year

The USA offered Norway this weapon in 1959 when it was in widespread use in European countries such as Denmark, West Germany, Belgium, Italy and Great Britain. In total, Norway received 5 such rocket vehicles, as well as 8 ammunition wagons.

A Rocket Battalion was set up consisting of staff, staff battery and a rocket battery. The rockets themselves were delivered in 1961. The use of communication and the collection of weather data was important in order to get good hits. It was fired with a 500 kg TNT warhead and a practice warhead with a small charge. The department was regularly visited by American evaluation teams that came from West Germany. The department always received high scores from the evaluation team. The battalion received additional equipment and clothing such as fur hats and fur coats and boots with Vibram soles (antistatic).

Practical range was 25 km. Testing in northern Norway showed that the system worked in -40 degrees if the rockets were wrapped in heating blankets.

Political pressure did its part to have the missile weapon returned to the United States already after five years. In 1964, the equipment was tektylized and sent back to the USA. Nuclear warheads were never stored in Norway.

Usage in game

This could either serve in game as a rare event vehicle like the sturmtiger. this is a truck with a huge rocket, it is fragile when facing any fire from the enemy, it will only be able to fire one shot, before reloading at any of the captured points in-game. it has the posibility to fire across the map, and the rocket should deal a lot of damage, making up for the difficulty to reload this vehicle, making it pretty well balanced, one could possible reduce the Spawn points for this to 50-80?

MGR-1A Honest John

Spoiler

General Information

Manufacturer: Douglas Aircraft Company
No. built: 7000+
Variants: MGR-1A, MGR-1B, MGR-1C

Specifications MGR-1A

Mass: 2,640 kg
Length: 8.30 m
Diameter: 760 mm
Wingspan: 2.77 m
Engine: Hercules M6 solid-fueled rocket 441 kN
Propellant: Double base solid propellant
Operational range: 5.5–24.8 km
Flight ceiling: 9 km
Maximum speed: Mach 2.3

PICTURES AND IMPORTANT DETAILS

SOURCES

Til_Dovre_Faller

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Suggestion Moderator

Open for Discussion :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/06/2023 at 21:53, Til_Dovre_Faller said:

Usage in game

This could either serve in game as a rare event vehicle like the sturmtiger. this is a truck with a huge rocket, it is fragile when facing any fire from the enemy, it will only be able to fire one shot, before reloading at any of the captured points in-game. it has the posibility to fire across the map, and the rocket should deal a lot of damage, making up for the difficulty to reload this vehicle,

making it pretty well balanced , one could possible reduce the Spawn points for this to 50-80?

6 hours ago, Til_Dovre_Faller said:

It's a vehicle hard to "balance" but it will be fun! A meme vehicle : )

i mean which one is it then

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
medal

2 minutes ago, Til_Dovre_Faller said:

Haha, okay

Well, you are describing what you do pretty well

It is funny, everytime i post something unusual or unpopular, someone has to start an argument, often off topic squabbling, like this

This is no surprise when you look at the suggestion at hand. This suggestion would be divisive no matter who posted it.

We are talking about a truck that has only a single shot, cannot shoot directly to the front, has a warhead that is nearly four times larger than that of the Sturmtiger, meaning you can get unfair kills around corners, which isn't fun to fight against while also continually posing the risk of blowing yourself up.
It has nothing to do with you, it has everything to do with the vehicle at hand.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I've given it a brief Google search and found a minimum range of 5.5km for this weapon system. If that's true then that would probably be a bit problematic for in-game purposes. 

I guess it's down to how much that launch rail can depress on the truck, if it can actually get horizontal then it might indeed be viable. As of right now I've not actually seen footage of that (haven't searched very hard either). 

If you've got any proof that it can fire at shorter ranges, please do show it! I'll keep my vote until after that. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

Then why make it "personal"?

Now please, lets keep this descussion non-personal, on-topic and professional.

It is a simple suggestion, it of cource matters if the players want this in the game, but in the end it is up to the developers to decide, if they want to implement it, or if it is even qualified to work properly in game

If it gets inplemented, it will only be as an event vehicle, people would play for content creation (most likely) wich it could eventually work as, due to its downsides as you mentioned

25 minutes ago, T50B_BlackEagles said:

@Thatz I think that you need to see this situation, sir. 

There has been worse discussions, so if we stay on topic, this should be fine...

9 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

I've given it a brief Google search and found a minimum range of 5.5km for this weapon system. If that's true then that would probably be a bit problematic for in-game purposes. 

I guess it's down to how much that launch rail can depress on the truck, if it can actually get horizontal then it might indeed be viable. As of right now I've not actually seen footage of that (haven't searched very hard either). 

If you've got any proof that it can fire at shorter ranges, please do show it! I'll keep my vote until after that. 

I will see what i can find later today! Currently irl things to do

Edited by Til_Dovre_Faller
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't think that this would even work as a meme vehicle. Meme vehicles still have a potential to get kills for the most part, but this thing would basically have 0 chance of hitting anything unless gajin completely changed the rocket. Not to mention that the 1 shot is kinda limiting.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
medal

10 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/item/75295933-soldiers-prepare-honest-john-missile-and-perform-atomic-atta

this video shows a little about the elevation, i will provide more

But, it looks promising (i am not sure, as they said firing position)?

I believe it can be fired at the lowest position as well

Edited by Til_Dovre_Faller