FAA attacker: Westland Wyvern

ThePandanator2

tnasiAW.jpg

The Westland Wyvern is an FAA post-war carrier borne attacker created by Westland Aircraft. It began operational service in 1953 and ended its short career in 1958 after the Suez Crisis.  

It had a contra-rotating turboprop engine, making it capable of going up to 616 km/h at sea level. 

Specs:

Model: Westland Wyvern S.4

Wingspan: 13.41 m

Length: 12.87 m

Height: 4.80 m

Engine: Armstrong Siddeley Python turboprop 1 ASP3

Total power: 1 x 4110 hp.

Armament: 4 20mm cannon 1360 kg bombs or torpedoes 

Weight: 11113 kg

Max speed. : 616 km / h at sea level

Service Ceiling: 8535 m Max. : 1455 Km Crew: 1

http://www.avionslegendaires.net/avion-militaire/westland-wyvern/

As you can see, it was a quite capable sea attacker, loading over 1300 kgs of bombs, or torpedoes or rockets, along with with 4 Mk V Hispano 20 mm cannons.

I suggest that this aircraft be put in Era IV in the attacker line, perhaps right before the Mosquito. 

RG2HY65.jpg

lgEJI0n.png

nFXwAhg.gif
Edited by ThePandanator2
  • Upvote 21
medal medal

Well it says it entered service a whole 10 years after the mosquito. Normally I don't care about dates, but putting this before seems a little extreme.

I was thinking performance wise. I think it could go either way, I just thought it might fit better before. 

To be perfectly honest I don't think it belongs in that line at all, it should go in the FAA line (when we get it) but I was thinking about the game right now. 

medal medal

:good: Me want.

• Upvote 2

Well its under 1953 so why not.

medal

I'm torn as to whether this would really fit in. On the one hand, it would have to be Era IV (or at least face Era IV planes, which is effectively the same thing) in order to be competitive, and with that placement it might feel rather anachronistic. On the other hand, we already know that we'll be getting prototypes and (supposedly?) some planes that never went beyond wind tunnel testing.

Of course, it's difficult for me to reject anything with a contra-rotting prop.

medal

Nope nope nope. It's very late prop plane. This is why it has a very short service date. It meets only jets.Or if you put it into Era 4 german fanboy will come and beat you.(and thay are right)

I`m killing F80, Meteors and all other post war jets... like it would make difference with current MM.

Era IV or V it the same now...

medal

Nope nope nope. It's very late prop plane. This is why it has a very short service date. It meets only jets.Or if you put it into Era 4 german fanboy will come and beat you.(and thay are right)

I think it should stay fighting late/post war era prop planes and early jets. Nothing past Me 262, and nothing before K-4s or Doras. This will keep it being a useful and powerful attacker, while still being able to be shot down. 

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Why does it have two props? Do they rotate independently of each other, an' how would that affect prop wash?

Thyre contra-rotating props, they spin in different directions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra-rotating_propellers

Edited by HeartBreak1
medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Moved to Implemented suggestions.