US 20mm Cannon Ammo

MrZimny

I couldn't find a threat specifically asking about the US cannon ammo belts so here:

I was looking at different ammo belts on my US planes to figure out which one would be best to use when I saw Practice Rounds loaded into the belt. I'm not sure if planes actually went into combat with practice rounds, but it seems unlikely. Can someone please explain why these rounds are in US 20mm cannons ammo belts and what use they have?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

They are just the Mk.I solid ball ammunition. Naming them "ball" would be more appropriate then calling them "practice rounds"

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Default 20mm ammo belt in USA is surprisingly the cheapest and the best anyway. In any case if there is performance difference, it's so small I didn't notice so no use spending money.

Same for the 37mm's imo, I just run default there. Come to think of it, USA is probably the cheapest nation to run ammowise.

medal medal

On the Bearcat's 20mm AN/M3 cannons, Default and the Omni are the exact same thing in the same order... Oh Gaijin, you so silly. Thanks for mentioning that. Should save me a handful of lions.

Not quite.  Default belt is loaded HE-HE-AP, and Omni purpose is loaded HE-AP.

medal medal medal

I prefer HE over AP in cannons...

Which is why the default in that case is better two thirds HE vs 50/50