Italian Bombers CANT Z 1007

BlueBeta

Italian Bomber  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Want this plane in game?

• YES
    • NO

I personally find the SM.79 to be good, even though it is considered one of the worst (Not the worst, Welly holds that title) bombers in the game due to armament and durability, this should be good even if they mess up its DM.

I hope they don't make this plane tier 4 though, that would be sad.

I personally find the SM.79 to be good, even though it is considered one of the worst bombers in the game due to armament and durability, this should be good even if they mess up its DM.
174 unanimous votes for this plane as well :yes:

It's funny because IRL the SM79 was considered to be a very durable plane and capable to perform aerobatics... Edited by Menarrosto
medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I see a lot of support for this Italian Cant Z1007 medium bomber, but not much about it.

So here is some data.

The CANT Z.1007 Alcione (Kingfisher) was a three-engined medium bomber, with wooden structure. Designed by ingegner Filippo Zappata, who also designed the CANT Z.506[1] it had "excellent flying characteristics and good stability"[2] and was regarded by some as "the best Italian bomber of World War II".

The Z.1007 was a mid-winged monoplane with a retractable tailwheel undercarriage. It had a crew of five, consisting of two pilots, a flight engineer, a radio operator and a bombardier/navigator. It could carry 800 kg (1,760 lb) of bombs, and was fitted with a defensive armament of a 12.7 mm (.5 in) Breda-SAFAT machine gun in an open dorsal position and a 7.7 mm machine gun in a ventral tunnel. The defensive armament of four machine guns: two 12.7 mm (.5 in) and two 7.7 mm (.303 in). The main defensive weapon was a Caproni-Lanciani Delta manually powered Isotta Fraschini dorsal turret armed with a 12.7 mm (.5 in) Scotti or Breda-SAFAT machine gun.

The Z.1007 had a horizontal bomb bay which could carry 1,200 kg (2,650 lb) of ordnance. There were also a pair of under-wing hard points which could carry up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) of bombs, giving the Z.1007 a potential 2,200 kg (4,900 lb) payload.  It could also carry two 454 mm (17.7 in), 800 kg (1,760 lb) torpedoes slung externally under the belly in an anti-shipping role.

Specifications (Z1007bis):

Data from The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II

General characteristics

• Crew: 5
  • Length: 18.35 m (60 ft 2.5 in)
  • Height: 5.22 m (17 ft 1.5 in)
  • Wing area: 70 m² (750 ft²)

Performance

I added some pictures.

Hope this helps?

USARMYLTC

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

You have my full support! But you should change the word plane in the poll to planes.
medal

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/4/2016 at 5:04 AM, CheapSushi said:

Love my SM.79. I want more Italian bombers! BUT ONLY if we get the proper HE ammo belts! 

we most likely wont get to see any more italian things untill the inderpendent italian tech tree though...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Here comes a big YES for this beauty! Very well done!

medal medal medal medal medal

Oh, it is a nice plane, flies nicely as well. It would be a fine addition.

So would its float modification tbh.

EDIT: Wikipedia also mentions 800 kg torpedo being mounted externally, in the bay. (The way I understand it is the normal semi-closed or door-less bay having a torpedo that is partially sticking out.) Althought it is stated to have never been used operationally, I think it could be an interesting thing to look into and either confirm or debunk (seeing as the manual states 800 kg bomb, it is very plausible - using semi-closed bombbays was a common practice with many planes).

Edited by Koty1996
medal medal

• 2 months later...
  • Senior Technical Moderator

This thread died two years ago and if you want another plane you might want to put in an official suggestion for it.  They need more bombers anyway.

18 hours ago, Borotovas said:

Maybe since the night bomber variant (TER) hasn't been added yet.

123_1_b1.jpg

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/440/123/0

The ter goes in the Italian tree obviously.

19 hours ago, *AceOfAces99 said:

The ter goes in the Italian tree obviously.

That was just a camo I found. Couldn't find an Italian one for that plane.

medal medal

6 hours ago, Borotovas said:

That was just a camo I found. Couldn't find an Italian one for that plane.

Well I hope that you don't say that the Z.1007 ter should go in the German tree because of thath skin that I found.