Leopard 1A1A1

TheJoker1432

133 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Leopard 1A1A1 be added?

• Yes
    • No

On 2015年11月13日 at 5:12 AM, PsychotikBrocoli said:

exactly my idea

i highly doubt that since the armor isnt like 400mm now its only i dont know maybe 5-20mm more

21mm@ 60º, -> 60mm air, -> 100mm @34º-> 25mm air -> 20mm @0º

The Leopard 1A1A1 and the Leopard 1A3/1A4 with spaced armor were better protected against certain threats than the other MBTs of the same time. According to literature the Leopard 1 with spaced armor is able to resist a RPG-7 or the 73mm HEAT-FS round from the BMP-1 at the front. The same ammunition has no problem piercing through the thickest part of the M60A1 turret front. 

Against APDS/APFSDS the spaced armor is much more effective than cast steel armor as used on other tanks. Cast steel already is worse than rolled steel by up to 20%. The Leopard 1A3's turret with spaced armor is based on experiences from the Experimentalentwicklung that itself is a follow up of the MBT-70 development. The MBT-70 used spaced armor where the outer layer was made of steel with a hardness of 550 HB - this is more than twice as hard as the steel used on M60 and T-62. The applique armor of the Leopard 1A1A1 is designed in such a way, that even the high hardness alloys could be used, which due to their metalugry cannot be welded together.

Early APFSDS and APDS with steel core or tungsten carbide are extremely brittle and shatter when penetrating one layer of steel, which is why the penetration against spaced armor is much lower. The 105mm L28A1 APDS could not penetrate 20mm steel - 60mm air - 80mm steel at 30 or 60°.

Spaced armor also increases the chance of bouncing, which still exists for ammo from the 1960s and 1970s. The usage of big slabs of rubber and a special bolt design (so called shock mounts) also increase the likelyhood of bounces. It is also "immune" against HESH, which could cause lethal amounts of spall on other tanks like the Chieftain (at least hull was not safe vs 105mm HESH), M60A1 (hull and turret) and T-62 (hull and turret at some places).

Where is this paragraph comes from?I just couldn't find any sources support that Leo1A1A1 using high hardness steel in the add-on armor.

Edited by KPzLeopard2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Moved to Implemented suggestions as this vehicle was added in Update 1.63 "Desert Hunters".