M247 Sergeant York (SPAA)

Thiky

You want M247 in the game?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. You want M247 in the game?

• Yes
    • No

You'd end up seeing both sides of the coin... 

Well... would take some number crunching for me to decide.. but it isn't my decision.

If we look at the obvious differences...: 

XM166:

Top speed*: 38 mph

Weight: 13.2 tons

Engine HP: Anywhere from 205-300 (Detroit Diesel 6v53T was used in a wide array... M548 says it was closer to 205 on Wikipedia, other sources say as much as 275... M551 used a 6v53T, rated at 300 HP)

Engine Tq: calculated out to be ~415 ft-lbs (560 nM), assuming 205 HP & 2600 redline, or, 560 ft lbs (750 nM) assuming 275 HP and the same redline. Peak torque @ 500-2600 RPM.

M42:

Top speed*: 45 mph

Weight: 22.6 tons

Engine HP: 500

Engine Tq: 935 Ft-lbs (1270 nM)

* Top speed is a very poor statistic to compare.... The far more important factor is torque.

So, if we further crunch the numbers, to have them per-weight, the XM166 has ~43nM per ton, and ~15.5 HP/ton (Estimated with 205 HP & 560nM. Increase to 56nM/ton & 20.8 HP/Ton with 275 HP engine.) . The M42 has ~56nM per ton, and 22 HP/ton. That being said, a small caveat is that  the detroit makes peak torque virtually right off of idle, from 500 RPM until it's screaming at 2,600 RPM.

So, mobility wise, I would say they're probably neck-and-neck, with the 205 HP detroit versus the 500 HP engine in M42.. Given the higher powered detroit? I'd say the XM166 would be marginally faster, until top end speed.

I would conclude that the XM would probably be a great premium rank IV SPAA.

The XM166 would make a fine premium option.

medal medal medal medal

The XM166 would make a fine premium option.

I think there was also a LVT with a M42 turret, which would make quite an interesting amphibious SPAA. 

I think it was built on LVT5 chassis, called "LVTAA-X1" (Thank god for abbreviations...) and, still exists to this day... not exactly sure where, but this picture isn't from the 1950's:

0fb0f912c37ft.jpg

Anyhow.... back to the SGT York.... cool, but I would prefer other options.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
That thing is a little bit late. And i think 8.0 is a better br for it. It has 40mm l/70's which can gire dart ammo with 100+mm of pen.

That thing is a little bit late. And i think 8.0 is a better br for it. It has 40mm l/70's which can gire dart ammo with 100+mm of pen.

I didn't think it could be placed lower.

medal

you mean APCR or APDS?

Either way, ZSU-57-2 shoots rounds that have 100+mm's of pen until like 800 meters.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

you mean APCR or APDS?

Either way, ZSU-57-2 shoots rounds that have 100+mm's of pen until like 800 meters.

APDSFS

• Technical Moderator

Radar won't be added afaik

just don't add that then, it's for fighting aircraft anyway.

Why not. The zsu57 has good anti tank rounds.

Edited by blockhaj

• Technical Moderator
I think i have some info on the apfs rounds. Dont know if it is apbc, apcr ore heat. All i know is that they have retarded velocity and pen.

I think there was also a LVT with a M42 turret, which would make quite an interesting amphibious SPAA. 

I think it was built on LVT5 chassis, called "LVTAA-X1" (Thank god for abbreviations...) and, still exists to this day... not exactly sure where, but this picture isn't from the 1950's:

0fb0f912c37ft.jpg

Anyhow.... back to the SGT York.... cool, but I would prefer other options.

Did you want to know where this SPAAG is?

medal

Did you want to know where this SPAAG is?

If rumor has it right (And, they haven't moved it...), it should be at the Marine Corps Mechanized Museum, Camp Pendleton, CA.

Sadly, it's about 600-700 miles south of me, so, I won't have the opportunity to visit.

Even though it doesn't rain a whole lot down there, somehow I doubt that the open top has helped it any.

Edited by BlitzkriegWulf

I like how we're saying that right after ATGM's, MiG-17, Maus, E-100, Hunter, Chieftain... etc etc etc.

It's only a matter of time.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe

Why not. The zsu57 has good anti tank rounds.

I figured you were against adding this because of that.  :dntknw:

medal medal

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe

Seriously, think about it. We already have a ton of night fighters... Ships had to keep track of things with radar/sonar, and now we have ground units that either had the capability of using, or did use radar guidance. 

SPAA is going to be worthless when we have planes that will do 1100 kmh... You can shoot all you like, even with something like Shilka or VADS, perhaps even T249, but without something to guide your gun to the target with proper lead..... eh, you might get lucky, probably not.

Seriously, think about it. We already have a ton of night fighters... Ships had to keep track of things with radar/sonar, and now we have ground units that either had the capability of using, or did use radar guidance. 

SPAA is going to be worthless when we have planes that will do 1100 kmh... You can shoot all you like, even with something like Shilka or VADS, perhaps even T249, but without something to guide your gun to the target with proper lead..... eh, you might get lucky, probably not.

how would you balance for planes though?

medal medal

• Technical Moderator

I like how we're saying that right after ATGM's, MiG-17, Maus, E-100, Hunter, Chieftain... etc etc etc.

It's only a matter of time.

They have confirmed radar. Although not radar guided weapons. Basically top tier spaa's will be able to see planes on the mini map.

Planes with radar, or everyone using radar against planes? Your question is a bit ambiguous.

SPAA using Radar against planes.

They have confirmed radar. Although not radar guided weapons. Basically top tier spaa's will be able to see planes on the mini map.

Weren't they not adding the Gepard because of radar, but adding an "experimental" Gepard without Radar?

medal medal

Paveways? 

Most guns had like.. maybe 3km range, in LOS.

So, if you make an approach without going into their LOS, you can still bomb them. They made special attachments with bombs to slow them down rapidly,  (Parachutes + slowing fins), to do this kind of thing

• Technical Moderator

I figured you were against adding this because of that.  :dntknw:

Im only slightly against it because its way to late. The game should cap at 1970-75

Weren't they not adding the Gepard because of radar, but adding an "experimental" Gepard without Radar?

They are adding an experimental gepard not for the radar but since the main version is out of the time frame.

Im only slightly against it because its way to late. The game should cap at 1970-75

They are adding an experimental gepard not for the radar but since the main version is out of the time frame.

oh

Paveways? 

Most guns had like.. maybe 3km range, in LOS.

So, if you make an approach without going into their LOS, you can still bomb them. They made special attachments with bombs to slow them down rapidly,  (Parachutes + slowing fins), to do this kind of thing

alright, just what I wanted to hear.  :salute:

medal medal

oh

alright, just what I wanted to hear.  :salute:

Well, the issue with radar (Particularly the M247...), is that it had trouble distinguishing objects on the ground from actual aircraft. So if you're flying low and drop a bomb with parachutes, that's a viable way to kill one (if you're flying at 1,000 kph, you'd essentially be flying 280 m/s, and would be out of range within 10 seconds. If they didn't know your approach, they would be unable to shoot at you, and, I doubt they could shoot and avoid the dropped munitions at the same time. 

With a GBU-10 (2,000 lb laser guided bomb), you basically just painted the target with a laser, and guided the bomb right down to the target. This was interesting:

"On 14 February 1991, an air-to-air kill was scored by a GBU-10 when an F-15E Strike Eagle of the 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron hit an Iraqi Air Force Mil Mi-24 Hind. 30 seconds after firing, the F-15E crew thought the bomb had missed and was about to fire an AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile when the helicopter suddenly exploded."

Edited by BlitzkriegWulf