Chieftain MK.5/4 MBT - New Top tier UK tank

Vitasalato

Please leave an heart <3 and a comment, even a +1, to fully support the suggestion. Thanks :) 

Chieftain MK.5/4 MBT

0fQoM0z.jpg

Why

The current Chieftain MK.3 that is in game is a great tank for UK, however the UK lacks another top tier MBT. Currently is the only nation with a single 8.0 tank, excluding the ATGM.

Visual aspect

Not much to say about the visual aspect of this variant. Infact nothing have changed externally between the Chieftain MK.3 and the Chieftain MK.5/4.

Performance

General specifications 

1st source:

Spoiler

dF1Ot8V.jpg

rwl5Jkg.jpg

ol7Nbqm.jpg

2nd source:

Spoiler

CfpKGWi.jpg

eaHcEgR.jpg

Engine 

The main difference of the Chieftain MK.5/4 is the improved L60 engine providing 750 HP.

Spoiler

Sm0u8SM.jpg

sJwaz7e.png

A clarification has to be done about the used engine, since some sources might give different engine power values for the Mk.5.

The MK.5 used different versions of the L60 engine, starting from the L60 Mk.7A providing 720 HP inherited by the Chieftain Mk.3/3, and then upgraded to the successive versions, starting from the L60 Mk.8A, that provided 750 HP.

I think that should be used one of the engine version Mk.8A (750 HP) or successive, since the Mk.7A (720 HP) was quickly replaced.

Armament & Ammo

Currently the UK is the only nation missing HEAT-FS shells. Despite the remarkable performances of the APDS L15A3, an HEAT-FS shell is overall superior to it. Since the UK army didn't used HEAT-FS and the T62 introduced the APFSDS shells, I think that the Chieftain MK.5/4 deserves the L23A1 APFSDS-T (1530 m/s) as a unlockable shell.

The L23A1 will be an amazing, and the best, APFSDS in game. However in terms of penetration, its performances will be in line with HEAT-FS & ATGMs, HEAT-FSs that UK don't have unlike all the other nations.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find additional info on this shell, but if someone have information just post it down below or send me a PM and I'll add it

Spoiler

Z6oSyg6.jpg

AmOpg9O.jpg

ZkRnJUT.png

Sources:

1st: Chieftain - Rob Griffin

2nd: Chieftain Main Battle Tank 1965-2003 - Simon Dunstan

Edited by Vitasalato

blakeob (Posted )

Your topic has been approved. Please visit it.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 69
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Mk.5 has been suggested before I think.

And i support its implementation.

The Mk.3 is good, but its past its time now, with the advent of ATGMs, by the time its in a good firing spot, its being flanked by leos and rained upon by ATGMs.

The Mk5 wouldn't be 'game breaking' either, apart from stillbrew armour, better engine & a new ammo rack with the ability to carry APDS-FS, nothing else really has changed. 

However, Gaijin has teased at the Mk.5 when they brought in the T-62.
I cant find the tweet, but someone asked for a British equivalent to the APDS-FS firing T62, to which gaijin teasingly responded along the lines of "Chieftain Mk.5 or maybe some later year Centurions"

medal medal medal

Just now, blakeob said:

Got a link? I thought so too, but the archive just said "Chieftain tank" which is really vague. 

I may be wrong, but i could have swore ive seen a mk5 post before. the more the better though, shows we need this tank :D

medal medal medal

1 minute ago, HyJetV said:

I may be wrong, but i could have swore ive seen a mk5 post before. the more the better though, shows we need this tank :D

Well, along with the sources shown, it's a pretty detailed thread anyway, so even if there was another one, I'd probably have left it open if the other one was less detailed. Also, I couldn't find the Mk 5 thread. And indeed, if there are two suggestion threads, it shows that the community has a good interest in the tank. :yes_yes_yes:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

52 minutes ago, WulfPack said:

I support it without APFSDS.

I doubt it will have APFSDS in the first place considering its first APFSDS is a monobloc penetrator introduced in 1984.

medal

2 minutes ago, Nope said:

I doubt it will have APFSDS in the first place considering its first APFSDS is a monobloc penetrator introduced in 1984.

Yeah, and you know the Leopards HEAT-FS was introduced in 1981.

You cant use shell introduction dates as a counter to the suggestion, look at the Russian tanks, half of them have shells in game, that were produced way after their time.

Mk.5 with APDSFS isnt going to break the game.

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, HyJetV said:

look at the Russian tanks, half of them have shells in game, that were produced way after their time.

Source. 

medal

Yes please +1 I would love to see the Mk.5/4 in game :D but to be fair it would need to be balanced.

1 hour ago, Nope said:

It's a Mk.5/4 it was modified to stow APFSDS ammo and lets be honest It wont be game breaking.

Edited by Ghost_Rider12
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, HyJetV said:

Mk.5 has been suggested before I think.

4 hours ago, blakeob said:

Got a link? I thought so too, but the archive just said "Chieftain tank" which is really vague. 

The only suggestion about the Chieftain that I found is this.

However is in the "Implemented suggestion" and in any case was covering all the variants of the Chieftain.

1 hour ago, Nope said:

The HOT ATGM have a penetration value of 800m @ 0° at any range. I doubt that an APFSDS shell would be game so powerful to break the game. And how I pointed out in the OP, UK is the only nation without HEAT-FS shell that are superior to the current APDS used by the Chieftain MK.3

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HyJetV said:

Yeah, and you know the Leopards HEAT-FS was introduced in 1981.

You cant use shell introduction dates as a counter to the suggestion, look at the Russian tanks, half of them have shells in game, that were produced way after their time.

Mk.5 with APDSFS isnt going to break the game.

I am not arguing from a date perspective, but from a technology perspective. Gaijin never had monobloc APFSDS implemented: only steel APFSDS and steel APFSDS with a tungsten core. The last time I looked at the penetration numbers, I've calculated around 400-420mm penetration PB. This is pretty close to 3BM32 APFSDS honestly, and the ballistic coefficients and muzzle velocity are way better than HEAT. On top of that, being a monobloc penetrator, it actually negates angle. 60 degrees sloping only offers a 1.7x multiplier instead of 2x from LoS. Asking for this is asking for the T-80B to be implemented. The Leopard 1's HEAT is actually M456A1 HEAT, which is well inside the technological deadline. I'm also pretty sure that Choogle debunked claims about Russian time traveling as well, while showing that it's the Germans that infringe this the most even in terms of technological gap.

1 minute ago, Vitasalato said:

The HOT ATGM have a penetration value of 800m @ 0° at any range. I doubt that an APFSDS shell would be game so powerful to break the game. And how I pointed out in the OP, UK is the only nation without HEAT-FS shell that are superior to the current APDS used by the Chieftain MK.3

You are serious underestimating the incredible ballistic coefficient and complete disregard for angles that monobloc APFSDS has. The L11 already has HEAT available IRL, and I'm pretty sure that's not completely game breaking. The problem is that it was never intended to be in British service: only for export.

• Upvote 1
medal

7 minutes ago, Nope said:

I am not arguing from a date perspective, but from a technology perspective. Gaijin never had monobloc APFSDS implemented: only steel APFSDS and steel APFSDS with a tungsten core. The last time I looked at the penetration numbers, I've calculated around 400-420mm penetration PB. This is pretty close to 3BM32 APFSDS honestly, and the ballistic coefficients and muzzle velocity are way better than HEAT. On top of that, being a monobloc penetrator, it actually negates angle. 60 degrees sloping only offers a 1.7x multiplier instead of 2x from LoS. Asking for this is asking for the T-80B to be implemented. The Leopard 1's HEAT is actually M456A1 HEAT, which is well inside the technological deadline. I'm also pretty sure that Choogle debunked claims about Russian time traveling as well, while showing that it's the Germans that infringe this the most even in terms of technological gap.

You are serious underestimating the incredible ballistic coefficient and complete disregard for angles that monobloc APFSDS has. The L11 already has HEAT available IRL, and I'm pretty sure that's not completely game breaking. The problem is that it was never intended to be in British service: only for export.

Worth noting AFAIK the Mk,5/4 could not stow a HEAT-FS round that and as has already been said the British Army did not use it anyway so I would not expect it to turn up on a British tank.

Edited by Ghost_Rider12
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal