BTR-RD "Robot"

Skydread

BTR-RD "Robot" in War Thunder  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the BTR-RD "Robot" in War Thunder ?

• Yes
    • No

BTR-RD "Robot"

572492424_USSRFlag.png.e3283e8c2af2a5899

1155157322_BTR-RDRobot(1).jpg.149885fa05941135_BTR-RDRobot(2).jpg.390ff9d67e3070

Development history

In 1969, the BMD-1 airborne IFV entered service with the Soviet Army. The vehicle had many flaws, but the biggest one was the fact the troop compartment was extremely cramped and could only transport up to four infantrymen; in fact, this number was often shortened to three because it was impractical for four infantrymen to operate inside the troop compartment and dismount the vehicle. Because of that, in the beginning of the 1970s, the Volgograd Tractor Factory design bureau, who designed the BMD-1, began designing a new airborne APC based on the BMD-1. The prototype was ready in 1974 and in the same year it entered production and service with the Soviet Army as the BTR-D.

Armament

The BTR-RD "Robot", is a BTR-D converted into an airborne ATGM team carrier with two 9P135M-1 ATGM launchers capable of firing 9M113 "Konkurs" (AT-5 Spandrel), 9M113M "Konkurs-M" (AT-5B Spandrel B), 9M111 "Fagot" (AT-4 Spigot) and 9M111-2 "Fagot" (AT-4B Spigot B) ATGMs. They can be used by the dismounted ATGM squad or fitted on a pintle mount on the right side of the hull. This is basically a BTR-D with a pintle mount added and with missile racks inside the troop compartment.

Secondary armament : 2×7.62 mm PKB bow general purpose machine guns (2,000 rounds).

Used SACLOS ATGM Models and Specifications

- 9M111 Fagot (NATO: AT-4 Spigot and AT-4A Spigot A) Entered service in 1970. Maximum range 2,000 m, minimum 70 m. Warhead 400 mm versus RHA or 200 mm towards armour inclined at 60°

- 9M111-2 Fagot (NATO: AT-4B Spigot B) Slightly improved version.

- 9M113 Konkurs (NATO: AT-5 Spandrel, AT-5A Spandrel A)

- 9M113M Konkurs-M (NATO: AT-5B Spandrel B) Tandem warhead – with extended explosive probe. The warhead penetration is 750–800 mm vs RHA. Adopted in 1991.

1551611226_ATGMKonkurs.jpg.b60d8201d6eee

Vehicle Specifications

Designer Volgograd Tractor Factory
Designed Early 1970–1974
Manufacturer Volgograd Tractor Factory

• Weight : 8 tonnes  /  8.5 tonnes (combat weight)

• Length : 6.74 m (22.1 ft)

• Width : 2.94 m

• Height : 1.67 m

• Crew : 3 (commander, driver and bow machine gunner) (+ 10 troops)

• Armor : 15 mm at 78° upper hull front / 15 mm at 50° lower hull front / 10 mm rest of the hull

• Engine : 5D-20 6-cylinder 4-stroke V-shaped liquid cooled 15.9 litre diesel241 hp (180 kW) at 2,600 rpm

• Power/weight : 30.1 hp/tonne (22.5 kW/tonne) / 28.4 hp/tonne (21.3 kW/tonne) (loaded with equipment)

• Suspension : Torsion-bar

• Ground clearance : Adjustable, 100 mm to 450 mm

• Fuel capacity : 300 l

• Operational range : 500 km (road) / 116 km (water)

• Speed : 61 km/h (road) / 35 km/h (cross country) / 10 km/h (swimming)

598196642_BTR-RDRobotBlueprint.jpg.2aeb2

461532083_BTR-RDRobot(3).thumb.jpg.b4664

Sources :

Edited by Skydread
  • Upvote 11
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Like 1

So basically a very light-armored, fast ATGM vehicle?

I cant see what it will add, but I cant see how it hurts given we already went full-ATGM and full-mobility.

medal medal medal medal medal

Wait this thing is amphibious?!?!

welp at least it will be an interesting atgm vehicle.

medal medal medal medal

fast

amphibious
adjustable suspension
ATGM

what do you want more?

+1

Edited by hom3er
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 minutes ago, TyphoonCro said:

Ah no...

IT-1 is enough...

TBH this should be in the game in place of the IT-1. The IT-1 is a rather poor representation of the Cold War Soviet TD units.

Edited by WulfPack
medal

21 hours ago, Stahlvormund101 said:

So basically a very light-armored, fast ATGM vehicle?

I cant see what it will add, but I cant see how it hurts given we already went full-ATGM and full-mobility.

This vehicle is a perfect equivalent of the Raketenjagdpanzer 2 HOT (1978-1982 Raketenjagdpanzer 2 upgrade programme) in the Russian Tech Tree, same armor penetration, almost the same speed, entered in service at the same period (1974).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

25 minutes ago, WulfPack said:

Which missle were you proposing?

There is four options :

• The basic 9M111 (AT-4a 'Spigot') missile uses a 1.7 kg High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) warhead which can penetrate up to 400 mm of conventional steel armour.
  • This was followed into service several years later by the 9M111-2 (AT-4b 'Spigot') version which has a greater effective range (2,500 m as against 2,000 m) through the use of an improved solid propellant sustainer rocket motor and lengthened guidance wire. (400 mm penetration of conventional steel armour.)
  • The 9M113 Konkurs was developed alongside the 9M111, the missiles use similar technology, differing only in size. The warhead penetration is 600 mm vs rolled homogeneous armour (RHA).

The missile entered service in 1974. (The best option I think)

• The 9M113M Konkurs-M (AT-5B 'Spandrel B') Tandem warhead – with extended explosive probe. The warhead penetration is 750–800 mm vs RHA. However this version was adopted in 1991, so it's out of the count off date of the game.
Edited by Skydread

1 minute ago, Skydread said:
  • The 9M113M Konkurs-M (AT-5B 'Spandrel B') Tandem warhead – with extended explosive probe. The warhead penetration is 750–800 mm vs RHA. However this version was adopted in 1991, so it's out of the count off date of the game.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, the Swingfire ATGMs we have in game have gone through the 1995 SWIG upgrade to give them SACLOS duidance.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

Amphibious IT-1 doubling as an APC? Would be nice for BR 8.7 :yes_yes_yes: :lol2:

Edited by Results45
medal medal medal

This is probably just my in-built hatred of all things ATGM talking, but... unless the BR is somewhere in the double-digits, I'd prefer to avoid this thing being added (something you'll rarely see me say about any non-ATGM). 7.0-8.0 are already bordering on unplayable, adding this would just make that worse.

medal medal medal medal medal

On 2/21/2017 at 8:21 AM, Skydread said:

The 9M113 Konkurs was developed alongside the 9M111, the missiles use similar technology, differing only in size. The warhead penetration is 600 mm vs rolled homogeneous armour (RHA).

The missile entered service in 1974. (The best option I think)

This version also had 750-800mm pen, the only difference is the single warhead and not the TC.

On 2/21/2017 at 8:23 AM, Mercedes4321 said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that, the Swingfire ATGMs we have in game have gone through the 1995 SWIG upgrade to give them SACLOS duidance.

SACLOS isn't the same thing as tandem-charge warheads, which would probably penetrate many early MBTs like the Challie 1, M1 Abrams, Leo 2, T-Series.

I wouldn't mind seeing a MCLOS version of the Swingfire ATGM at a lower BR myself.

59 minutes ago, WaveLengthRR said:

This is probably just my in-built hatred of all things ATGM talking, but...

At least you're honest.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

18 minutes ago, Retry said:

SACLOS isn't the same thing as tandem-charge warheads, which would probably penetrate many early MBTs like the Challie 1, M1 Abrams, Leo 2, T-Series.

I wouldn't mind seeing a MCLOS version of the Swingfire ATGM at a lower BR myself.

I was responding to him saying that it was invalidated due to the date.

Also, our current Swingfire is a hodge-podge, it has the later variants SACLOS, but the earliest version's warhead instead of the later improved one.

Edited by Mercedes4321
medal medal medal medal

8 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

I was responding to him saying that it was invalidated due to the date.

Also, our current Swingfire is a hodge-podge, it has the later variants SACLOS, but the earliest version's warhead instead of the later improved one.

Ah.  Good to know.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Anybody know how the RoF of this thing compares to the IT-1 (5rpm) and the MT-LB Shturm-S (4rpm)?

Found a Russian article on the BTR-RD: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbastion-opk.ru%2Fbtr-d%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Edited by Results45
medal medal medal

On 4/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, Results45 said:

Anybody know how the RoF of this thing compares to the IT-1 (5rpm) and the MT-LB Shturm-S (4rpm)?

Found a Russian article on the BTR-RD: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbastion-opk.ru%2Fbtr-d%2F&edit-text=&act=url

3 RPM is what I found for the 9M111.

http://militaryarms.ru/boepripasy/rakety/ptrk-fagot/

• Upvote 1
medal

3 hours ago, WulfPack said:

3 RPM is what I found for the 9M111.

http://militaryarms.ru/boepripasy/rakety/ptrk-fagot/

So for Russian ATGM carriers, the higher the BR, the more pen, the longer reload rate :D

medal medal medal

• 6 months later...

With the update 1.73 you may already now that the BMP-1 can now use the 9M113 Konkurs fired by the same launcher used on the BTR-RD "Robot", so nothing should prevent Gaijin to add this vehicle as a new Soviet Tier VI ATGM Carrier isn't it ?