Fw 190 Torpedo Bomber Variants  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Which (If any) of these would you like in the game?

• Fw 190 A-5/U14
    • Fw 190 F-8/U2
    • Fw 190 F-8/U3
    • Fw 190 F-8/U4
    • Non of them

b0295d97819ef91aebf435a76151a350.jpg

(Unknown FW 190 variant carrying a single LT F 5b torpedo)

I'd like to suggest some variants of the Fw 190 that could be very useful in the upcoming naval forces due to their ability to carry torpedoes of different kinds! (Including a 1400kg torpedo!)

Fw 190A-5/U14

Capable of carrying one aerial torpedo LT F 5b mounted under the fuselage on an ETC 502 rack. Plane had an elarged fin similar to the Ta 152, and heightened tail wheel strut to eliminate the possibility of ground contact by the torpedo. Armament consisted of only 2x 20m Mg 151/20 cannons. Two of these planes were tested. 

Fw 190 F-8/U2

Torpedo plane with two underwing ETC 503 racks or under-fuselage mounted ETC 504 rack. The plane was equipped with a special sight system, TSA 2A (tiefsturzangle 2A) for preide aerial torpedo BT (bombentorpedo) aiming. Using this torpedo it was possible to attack targets from a higher altitude and from a higher angle than in the case of an ordinary aerial torpedo LT (Lufttorpedo). It was plannet to use two BT 400 or one BT 700 torpedo. Other armament was reduced to two fuselate mounted MG 131 machine guns. A small number of these planes were in service with 11./KG200.

(This plane has already been suggested (link found below) however the suggestion barely contains any information, so I thought I would include it here too since it would be an awesome variant to have)

Spoiler

Fw 190 F-8/U3

This was a heavy-torpedo bomber variant outfitted with an ETC 502 which allowed it to carry a single BT-1400 heavy torpedo (1,400kg (3,100lb)). Owing to the size of the torpedo, the U3's tail gear was lengthened. The U3 was also fitted with the 2,000 hp (1470 kW) BMW 801 TS engine, and the tail from a Ta 152. The plane was also equiped with the TSA 2 sight system coupled with an FuG 101 radio altimeter.

Fw 190 F-8/U4

Created as a night fighter variant. Was equipped with flame dampers on the exhaust and various electrical systems such as the FuG 101 radio altimeter, the PKS 12 automatic pilot, and the TSA 2 A sighting system. Weapons fitted ranged from torpedoes to bombs, however was only armed with 2x 20mm Mg 151/20's as fixed armament. Only one known example built (W.Nr. 586596)

More on the torpedoes:

Spoiler

image.gif

The Fw 190 was capable of carrying both LTF 5b 765kg torpedoes, and the experimental BT torpedoes.

Luftwaffe also developed a passive weapon called "Bombentorpedo" (BT), which was planned to replace the conventional torpedoes. It was airdropped from a low height and relative short distance from the target, would enter the water and travel the short remaining distance through the water solely driven by its kinetic energy. No BT's were ever fielded operationally.

Designation:  Weight:  Dimensions, dia./length:  Charge:   Notes:

BT 200            220kg     300mm / 2395mm               100kg

BT 400            435kg     378mm / 2946mm               200kg

BT 700A         780kg     426mm / 3500mm               330kg

BT 700B         755kg     456mm / 3358mm               320kg

BT 1000         1180kg    480mm / 4240mm              710kg     -"Variant fitted with a rocket engine.

BT 1400         1510kg    620mm / 4560mm              920kg      Design was unsuccesful"

BT 1850         1923kg    620mm / 4690mm              1050kg

-Regards!

Edited by igeticsu
Corrected "Fuselate" :P
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 21
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I support all of them. If Italy get a fighter that can carry torpedoes, Germany should too!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

On 3/7/2017 at 6:41 PM, Borotovas said:

I support all of them. If Italy get a fighter that can carry torpedoes, Germany should too!

It's mostly a suggestion because there's currently only three planes capable of carrying torpedoes on the German tree, all of which are big targets for ship AAA

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, igeticsu said:

three planes capable of carrying torpedoes on the German tree

Should be one additional craft if gaijin implements the Ju 88 A-4/Torp

Edited by TT33a
fixed
medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, The_Strafer said:

5 more. The OP is suggestion 4 more torpedo planes for the Germans which could be implemented soon.

I actually made a list of torpedo planes for germany :) But the majority of them are low tier due to them being from the 1930's or very early 40's

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

yay!!!! the fischer vogel :) 

GIB

PD: adding this, plus the BT bomb series would be a really good advence :3

Edited by zSektor92
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, zSektor92 said:

yay!!!! the fischer vogel :) 

GIB

PD: adding this, plus the BT bomb series would be a really good advence :3

I'd love to see the U3 with the 1400kg BT torpedo :P however I doubt that the BT torpedo series would've been effective IRL due to... well almost everything about them.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, igeticsu said:

I'd love to see the U3 with the 1400kg BT torpedo :P however I doubt that the BT torpedo series would've been effective IRL due to... well almost everything about them.

is a bomb, that can be used as torpedo... you know, no dropping anymore a 1000kg bomb to a carrier that usually goes trough his armor...

1 minute ago, zSektor92 said:

is a bomb, that can be used as torpedo... you know, no dropping anymore a 1000kg bomb to a carrier that usually goes trough his armor...

Yeah but it was meant to travel underwater only on kinetic energy, and was meant to be dropped as to not just skip on the surface. While easier to produce, such bombs would've most likely been more dangerous to use and less effective overall :/

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, igeticsu said:

Yeah but it was meant to travel underwater only on kinetic energy, and was meant to be dropped as to not just skip on the surface. While easier to produce, such bombs would've most likely been more dangerous to use and less effective overall :/

the water surface can absorb all the fragmentation of the explosive charge... like happens with the actual 1000kg torpedos...

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 2:43 PM, zSektor92 said:

the water surface can absorb all the fragmentation of the explosive charge... like happens with the actual 1000kg torpedos...

I mean in terms of having to get much closer to the enemy ship which is covered in AA guns.

• Confused 1

I already drop torps around 700-600m distance anyway so a short range wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

If range is an issue we can have that sweet rocket torpedo.

And that rocket-propelled bomb-torpedo could be used to great effect vs player tanks (710kg explosive charge is almost as much as in a Russian 1500kg bomb).

Imagine an Fw-190 F-8 with a mixed loadout of 4x Werfergranate 28cm rockets and 1x BT1000.

I prefer the good ol' Longdrop using the max distance of the torpedo. I would prefer the FW 190 A-5/U14

I found a nice page about the LT F5b stabliesation rudder

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/t/Torpedo/Luftruder L 2.html

+1

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

I heard the Ta 152 C could also carry torpedoes, or was suppose to. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/11/2017 at 1:44 AM, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

I heard the Ta 152 C could also carry torpedoes, or was suppose to. 

Never heard anything about that, but if you can find any sources I'll add it to the list :)

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

The A-5/U14 and the F-8/U2 strike me as the best additions, but I'll support all four of them.

(Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, couldn't the Fw 200 carry torpedoes too?)

Edited by Milocat
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal