A34 Comet Mk 1 Type B (late)

Nuclear_Frog

Comet Type B  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Comet Type B in the game in any possible form (regular, premium, special event vehicle)?

• Yes.
    • No.

This is the latter model of the A34 Comet. There was actually four different production types. I think it would be reasonable to have at least one A and one B model in the game.

1.       Mk IA Early

2.       Mk IA Late
3.       Mk IB Early
4.       Mk IB Late

Comet was an important tank for the British and having more than one variant in the regular tree would be sensible considering the amount of Panthers etc. and other tank variants with "lesser" changes.

The type ‘B’ tanks were introduced after the war.  It had a revised hull and the frontal armor joints were reinforced with steel angles. The top track rollers were made from different steel design etc. The Type B was equipped with new "fishtail" exhausts and smoke dischargers were added on the side of the turret. The top track rollers and rubber-tired idlers were later replaced with a different steel design as they tended to get clogged and packed with mud too easily. There were a number of other less obvious modifications like a new engine breathing system.

The Type B was the "ultimate" complete Comet since: "It had always been the intention to use this ‘fishtail’ exhaust system but it was not ready by 1944-early 1945. Planking plates had been fitted to the earlier models."

"During the war, only one rear red light was mounted in a holder on the right side of the tank. After the war ended a second was fitted on the other side. "

"After the war, the exhaust system was modified. It ended in a pair ‘fishtails’ at the end of the exhaust box. It is this version of the Comet tank being called the type B and the wartime original Comet tank called the type A."

There were two versions of the Comet Mk.I tank: Type A and Type B. The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is that the later Type B had ‘fishtail’ exhausts at the rear. Smoke dischargers on the side of the turret were added to the Type B tank.

The Type B Comets were also sold to foreign countries. (As can be seen in the pictures)

If someone has more info on the differences between Type A and B Comets i´m glad to use it and edit the thread. It seems hard to find more info about the possible internal mechanical changes and how they effected the performance (if they did).

59648af3e4c9a_BroncoCB35010SPBritishCrui

CometB.png.53fb24514757057fe65428908a9f8

Comet data in War Thunder: (taken from war thunder wiki)

Title: A34 Comet I

Weight: 33500 kg

Type: Medium tank

Engine power: 600 h.p.

Max speed: 52.55 km/h

Hull armour thickness: 25/14/32 (mm)

Superstructure armour thickness 76/29/25 (mm)

Time for free repair126 h 15 m

Max repair cost*4060 s.l.

Cost*250000 s.l.

*Without modifications

Comet specifications:

Type: Cruiser tank

Place of origin: United Kingdom

Service history:In service December 1944 - 1958 (UK)

Used by: see Operators

Wars: Second World War Korean War

Production history: Designed1943

Manufacturer: Leyland Motors Ltd

Produced: September 1944

Number built: 1,186

Specifications:

Weight: 33.53 tonnes

Length: 6.55 m excluding gun

Width: 3.04 m

Height: 2.67 m

Crew: 5 (Commander, gunner, loader/operator, driver, hull gunner)

Armour: 32–102 mm

Main
armament: 77 mm HV, 61 rounds

Secondary
armament: 2 x 7.92 mm Besa MG, 5,175 rounds

Engine: Rolls-Royce Meteor Mark III V12 petrol 600 hp (447 kW) @ 2550 rpm

Power/weight: 18 hp (13.3 kw) / tonne

Transmission: Merrit-Brown Z5

Suspension: Christie

Ground clearance: 0.5 m

Fuel capacity: 527 liters

Operational range: 250 km

Speed: 51 km/h

This is a very useful link. It shows all the external differences of the type B in those modelling manual pictures:

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2016/01/with-bronco-models-releasing-new.html

Other sources:

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/a34-cruiser-tank-comet-mark-i

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(tank)

http://panzerserra.blogspot.fi/2016/12/a34-cruiser-tank-comet-case-report.html

https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=A34_Comet_I

Comet_MK_I_Model_B_Parola_tank_museum.pn

comet_type_b_tank_sanmmh_01_dvdb09.JPG.0

a34.png.74bdf0afbd8899f65d5deda220ac201b

Edited by Nuclear_Frog
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 13
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Comets where widely used post war, and they are a well liked tank in all game modes and not hated by anyone really as a general rule. So can't complain with having snother

If at 5.3 rating would also allow for a British 5.3 line u. Thunder bolt + 2 Comets 

Or gift iron Duke +2 (3 Comets??? )

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

13 hours ago, SneakySausage said:

Comets where widely used post war, and they are a well liked tank in all game modes and not hated by anyone really as a general rule. So can't complain with having snother

If at 5.3 rating would also allow for a British 5.3 line u. Thunder bolt + 2 Comets 

Or gift iron Duke +2 (3 Comets??? )

That´s my thoughts exactly. I use a team of Comet + Iron Duke + Thunderbolt all the time. However i would use 3 Comets if possible. I love the tank.

Comet is the British "Panther". Every other country has a collection of more than one of their iconic mediums.

Comet also saw combat in Korea and served in foreign armies: The model B was also used by; for example Finland, who used 41 Comet Mk I Model B´s. South Africa used 26 of them. (I think Type B´s)

4 hours ago, KHORG said:

Does it do anything the current Comet doesn't?

The current Comet is rarer than unicorns.

It has 6 smoke dischargers at the side of the turret, it can lay smoke and it has a new engine breathing system and better exhaust system that makes the back end less vulnerable to enemy fire and artillery shells. Also the turret is different. I´m still looking if the performance values were slightly changed in any way.  Plus they could add in some extra like more track links for protection or MG mount etc.

The most important reason for Type B Comet is that it would finally give the British at least two 5.3 tanks and allow you to assemble a better team for 5.0-5.3.

One of the reasons why people don´t use the Comet is that it raises the matchmakings BR to 5.3 and you only have one tank at that BR (not counting the rare Iron Duke).

At BR 4.0-4.7 you can have 3 tanks with potent guns without raising the BR too much. I´m sure adding in the model B would boost the popularity of the Comets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shepard_FR said:

I don't really see the point of adding another Comet that is absolutely identical to the 2 others already in the game... Meh

It would be good if Britain had more models of their most potent produced late war medium. Germany has 3 Panthers that you can form a team with - their late war mediums, all at 6.0 BR and one at 5.7 BR and some of them are very similar.

The late Type B is not absolutely identical. Iron Duke is not only identical to the current Comet, but its also so rare that its not even worth mentioning. You would think that if they were going to add another Comet it would be the Type B instead of a historical re-skinned one. Or add the Type B from the start. If nothing else replace the current Comet with the Type B or something.

Another 5.3 tank would be really useful for Britain. Comet is vulnerable tank. The smoke discharges that the earlier Comet is missing is a way to survive in a battle. Also the better and less vulnerable fishtail exhaust system was the system that was meant to be used in Comet from the start or in its "final form". Its also so much better looking, like the Pz IV J´s exhaust with those two pipes.

It had a revised hull and the frontal armor joints were reinforced with steel angles.

In Comet pictures you can see the text underneath saying example: " It has the 'B' type  hull (A34 Comet Mk 1 Model B)." and also stuff about "Type B turrets." 

CometB.png.dc8f3e565025f871389f15fee2219

I wonder about the effects the new engine breathing system had.

Edited by Nuclear_Frog

2 minutes ago, *TheLastYouSee__ said:

what would this have over the current comet?

Smoke dischargers and maybe some additional armour around the exhaust ports as far as this game goes. The other changes are things like engine cooling which aren't represented in-game.

medal medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, Time4Tea said:

Smoke dischargers and maybe some additional armour around the exhaust ports as far as this game goes. The other changes are things like engine cooling which aren't represented in-game.

wouldnt it be beter to replace to current one with this or atleast tab this one with the other

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, *TheLastYouSee__ said:

wouldnt it be beter to replace to current one with this or atleast tab this one with the other

Putting in a tab is a good idea, I find smoke pretty useful and for me it would be a good incentive to unlock the type B. For those who don't feel they same they could skip it.

medal medal medal medal

• Senior Technical Moderator

Yes, this would actually be a pretty good early tier 4 tank for the British.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Sure, I say add it to a tab under the existing Comet in the regular tree.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The Comet was what kept me going in my 5.3 British grind.  I'm still upset that I don't have the Iron Duke because I would have loved a second one.  

I support an additional Comet in a heartbeat.

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal