Introduction:

Armoured wheeled vehicles were developed early in Germany, since they were not subject to the restrictions of the Treaty of VersaillesThe Sd.Kfz 234 belonged to the ARK series (type designation of the chassis) and was the successor to the earlier Sd.Kfz. 231/232/233 (8-Rad), which belonged to the GS series. The Sd.Kfz 234/1 served as a support vehicle for the reconnaissance vehicles. It had an open-topped turret, in which a 2 cm KwK 38 L/55 gun was installed. The 20 mm autocannon on the turret was based off the 20 mm FlaK 30 then in use with a firing rate of 600 rpm from a 10-round magazineThis gun was intended for use against "soft" targets. Around 200 Sd.Kfz 234/1 were built.

Development:

Like the other vehicles in the 8-Rad series, the Sd.Kfz 234/1 was equipped with a bidirectional conduction, and with a more powerful engine than the previous version. The address at 8 wheels and low pressure exerted by the vehicle on the ground made it very popular with their crews. As mentioned in the subject of Sd.Kfz 250, the need for a heavy reconnaissance vehicle for the Eastern Front led to this series of vehicles (Schwerer Panzerspähwagen). After the French campaign the SdKfz 232 began to show signs of having been beaten in their duties so it was necessary to the creation of a heavy vehicle for reconnaissance and, also, with more firepower. The company responsible for this development, Bussing-NAG, was soon put to work.

In terms of its basic features we can highlight the Sd.Kfz 234 top speed of 85 Km/h with a fuel capacity of 360 liters of diesel. It had a range of 900 km road and 600 km cross country. It had crew of 4: Commander, Gunner, Loader and Driver.

Details:

Type Armoured car
Place of origin Nazi Germany
Production history
Produced 1943–1945
No. built 478 (all types)
Specifications
Weight 10,500 kg (23,148 lb)
Length 6.02 m (19 ft 9 in)
Width 2.36 m (7 ft 9 in)
Height 2.10 m (6 ft 10 in)
Crew 4

Armor 9-30 mm (.35-1.18 in)
Main
armament
(234/1) 1x20 mm (0.79 in) autocannon
Secondary
armament
1x7.92 mm (0.312 in) machinegun
Engine 14,825 cc (905 in3) Tatra 103[2] V12diesel
157 kW (210 hp)
Suspension wheeled
Operational
range
1,000 km (625 mi)
Speed 90 km/h (55 mph)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_234

Armament:

The 2 cm KwK 38 L/55 (2 cm Kampfwagenkanone 38 L/55) was a German 2 cm cannon used primarily as the main armament of the German SdKfz.121 Panzerkampfwagen II Light Tank. It was a series of anti-aircraft auto cannons developed by Nazi Germany and used as their primary light anti-aircraft gun in the course of World War II. It fired a 20x138 mmB round and was considered one of the more powerful 20 mm ammunition at the time. The auto cannon underwent developmental improvement from the initial Flak 30, to the Flak 38, then the Flakvierling 38.

Imagen relacionadaResultado de imagen para 2 cm KwK 38 L/55Resultado de imagen para 2 cm KwK 38 L/55

Ammunition:

1 x 2 cm KwK 38 (300 rounds) 
1 x 7.92 mm 
MG 42 machine gun (1,800 rounds)

Main armament

1 x 20 mm KwK38
  • Ammunition Capacity: 300 Shells (10 round magazines)
  • Gun Depression: -4°
  • Gun Elevation: 70°
  • Rate of Fire: 450 Shots per Minute
  • Turret Rotation Speed: 8.9°/s (Stock), _._°/s (Upgraded)

The gun is generally accurate and can be fired continuously per magazine. Over long distance, the gun is ineffective due to loss of velocity. The HVAP-T at 10m has a penetration value of 55 mm, at longer ranges such as 500 m the value drops to 22 mm of penetration which is only effective against open vehicles. The Aufklärungspanzer 38 t also has a coaxial 7.62 MG 42 (ranging) machine gun.

Ammunition Penetration in mm @ 90° Type of 
warhead
Velocity
in m/s
Projectile
Mass in kg
Fuse delay
in m:
Fuse sensitivity
in mm:
Normalization At 30° 
from horizontal:
Ricochet:
10m 100m 500m 1000m 1500m 2000m 0% 50% 100%
PzGr 46 45 33 23 15 11 API-T 780 0.15 0.8 5 -1° 43° 30° 15°
PzGr 40 64 63 26 8 3 1 HVAP-T 1050 0.1 N/A N/A +1.5° 24° 22° 18°
Sprgr. 4 4 4 4 4 4 HEFI-T 900 0.12 0.3 0.1 +0° 28° 21° 17°
Belts:
Belts Shell composition Combat usage
Default API-T, HEFI-T 
(Armor Piercing Incendiary tracer – High Explosive Fragmentation Incendiary tracer) shell
50% of this belt are useless against tanks or planes. However against other SPAA this belt can reliably take out crew, armament, ammo and engine. Having one belt in reserve does not hurt.
Sprgr. HEFI-T 
(High Explosive Fragmentation Incendiary tracer) shell
Versus planes and open combat compartment vehicles. Aircraft will usually take three to six hits. Heavy armoured attackers and bombers may require more though.
PzGr API-T 
(Armor Piercing Incendiary tracer) shell
Intermediate usage until the better PzGr 40 can be used. Decent enough versus light tanks and other vehicles from the rear. Due the lack of HE filler underwhelming damage, yet still better than the PzGr 40.
PzGr HVAP-T 
(High Velocity Armor Piercing tracer) shell
Best penetrating shell of this vehicle. However, the damage effects are very poor. In close combat snipe for modules and crewmember for increased survival rate. Nothing is more annoying than emptying a clip and then to get killed in the reload because the enemy gunner survived. Against angled armoured it is not very effective like any other ACPR shell, this is offset by the very high base penetration though.

https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=2_cm_KwK_30

https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Aufklärungspanzer_38(t)

Vehicles that also carry this gun:

• Panzer II Ausf. C
  • Panzer II Ausf. F
  • Panzer II DAK 
  • Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) 
  • Flakpanzer I Ausf. A
  • Flakpanzer 38(t) "Gepard"

Conclusion:

In my opinion, this vehicle could be a nice addition to this game, it will be a Low-Tier (Maybe even Reserve) Light Tank, which will work similarly to the already in-game Panzer II's, Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) and early German SPAA's. Balancing this vehicle won't be a problem because it combines aspects of vehicles already on the game, making it perfect for ambushes and flanking the enemy as well as completing the Sd.Kfz 234 Series in War Thunder!

Gallery:

The Sd.Kfz. 234 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 234, or Special Purpose Vehicle 234), was a family of 8x8  armoured cars designed and built in Germany during World War II. The vehicles were lightly armoured, armed with a 20, 50 or 75 mm main gun, and powered by a Tatra V12 diesel engine.The gunner position on a SdKfz 234/1 8 rad armored car with the SS Totenkopf Division.The gunner position on a SdKfz 234/1 8 rad armored car with the SS Totenkopf Division.Sdkfz-234/1, and a sdkfz-234/3 with a 75mm.

SdKfz_234_1_Fu_unbekannte_EinheitMilitary and Aviation (The Sd.Kfz. 234 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 234, or...)The gunner position on a SdKfz 234/1 8 rad armored car with the SS Totenkopf Division.

SdKfz.234/1SdKfz. 234/1SdKfz. 234/1

Blueprints:

Imagen relacionada

Extra:

I couldn't find as much information as the Sd.Kfz 234/3 for this vehicle,so if it has some inconsistencies or some data is wrong, please tell me in the comments so i can fix it as soon as possible!

Also, i wrote this suggestion based on my Sd.Kfz 234/3 Thread, that's why this post looks similar and has the same structure, don't blame me please :p:

Sources:

Edited by *TheOfficialTini
Fixed some inconsistencies about the gun.
  • Upvote 23
medal

I support. You may want to revise the section about the gun, the different vehicles mentioned have (if I recall correctly) 3 somewhat different weapons with varying magazine capacities, penetrations, and rates of fire. Most of the numbers are fairly similar but can mean up to a full BR difference (between Pz II C and Gepard). I'm guessing that the 234/1 uses the exact same gun as the sdfz 140/1?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

9 hours ago, Dundee93 said:

I support. You may want to revise the section about the gun, the different vehicles mentioned have (if I recall correctly) 3 somewhat different weapons with varying magazine capacities, penetrations, and rates of fire. Most of the numbers are fairly similar but can mean up to a full BR difference (between Pz II C and Gepard). I'm guessing that the 234/1 uses the exact same gun as the sdfz 140/1?

Yep, it does, i was confused when gathering information for the gun from all types of sources, i will try to fix it when i have the time :good:

• Upvote 1
medal

7 hours ago, TT33a said:

How about this one too? (with Panzer II L turret):

Sdkfz-234-w_Luchs_Term.jpg

I struggled to find any data on this one, but it seems it is called "Sd.Kfz 234 Luchs Turm" and it was used by the 17th Panzer Division.

"Only 101 of the SdKfz 234 Puma series were built between Sept.1943 and Sept.1944 going on to see service on both Fronts. The series included the 50mm "Puma" (BG87), 2cm Hangelafette type (BG86), the rare 2cm KwK38 (G97), 75mm L/24 (G49) and the 75mm Pak 40 (G50). 
However the rarest variant of all was the type used by the 17th. Panzer Division which replaced the usual turret the 20mm armed SdKfz 123 "Puma" turret. It has been speculated that upto five were so converted but only one known photograph of this type survives taken when the 17th. Panzer Division surrendered to the Americans in Czechoslovakia in 1945."

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=1326

I'll make a Suggestion on this one soon  ;)

medal

9d832016ca3ca205ad97d60d1da207d6--armore

this picture is actually the Chinese variant of the turret used on the Sd.Kfz.222 sold to china. this turret wasn't used on the other vehicles except those in china. we can recognize it by the MG on the left side of the main gun and the no commander optics.

don't get fool by the German helmet. the Chinese had millions of German helmet sold by Germany before the German made an alliance with Japan

AP_4007110168.jpg

Edited by CaID
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, CaID said:

9d832016ca3ca205ad97d60d1da207d6--armore

this picture is actually the Chinese... we can recognize it by the MG on the left side of the main gun 

The MGs on the right side of the gun....

another giveaway is that the coaxial MG isn't an MG34/42, it's some clip feed MG, maybe a Bren or Type 96 or something like that.   

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not. It will be easy vehicle for them to make. They have every thing they need to make it.

Just copy paste the Sd.Kfz.234/2 and remove the turret. And then copy pasta the turret from Sd.Kfz. 140/1.

They could also do the same for Sd.Kfz.221 (s.Pz.B.41) Copy paste the vehicle and remove the turret.

And take the turret from Sd.Kfz. 140/1. To make Sd.Kfz.222.

There are so many quick and easy vehicles they could make. Just by taking parts from vehicles already in game.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

a fine addition to my collection

medal

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, we need this thing in game permium or not I don't care! It's gonna be the sdkfz 140/1 with Puma speed! Btw, 10 round magazine? This thing has 20 round magazines even in the pictures you linked! Let's not castrate it! A spotting scope is a MUST for this thing and also the "debris net shield"? on top of the turret HAS to be open like on the Sdkfz 140/1 it just looks so funny and cool!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

We already have the other 3 Sd.Kfz.234s, so +1, I'm hoping this one gets added to complete the series. With the Sd.Kfz.222 being placed in the SPAAG line for the Chinese tree, I'm wondering if the other German armored cars armed with 20mms will be considered AA vehicles in-game. I think the 234/1 should be added as a researchable before the Puma in the tech tree. It definitely wouldn't be a reserve though, it's much more mobile than the Pz.II and has a faster firing 20mm.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:23, Wolf_89 said:

They could also do the same for Sd.Kfz.221 (s.Pz.B.41) Copy paste the vehicle and remove the turret.

And take the turret from Sd.Kfz. 140/1. To make Sd.Kfz.222.

That would not work as the 222 is thicker (30 mm) and slightly different in shape than the 221

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, ALIEN109 said:

The fact that 3/4 of them are event vehicles is kinda depressing ngl.

At least my collection will soon be complete

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal