Super M48

HMSD33Dauntless

Super M48  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Super M48 added to the game?

• Yes
    • No

Hello. I would like to suggest the Super M48 main battle tank.

super%20m48.jpg

The Super M48 was a prototype upgrade for the M48, more specifically the German modified M48A2GA2. Just for some info, the M48A2GA2 is a German modification of the M48 Patton, which armed it with the gun of a Leopard I and some other minor modifications.

Spoiler

The German company Wegmann (Kassel) rebuilt 650 M48 series tanks to a new configuration known as the M48A2GA2. All vehicles were delivered between June 1978 and November 1980.

The modifications include the replacement of the 90mm Main Gun with a 105mm L7A3 rifled gun as installed in the Leopard 1, a thermal sleeve for the main armament, a new gun travelling lock, a new commander’s cupola, modified ammunition stowage, passive night vision equipment for the driver, commander and gunner and modifications to the fire-control system.

Source

So then, what's the Super M48? The Super M48 is a further modification of the M48A2GA2, which added smoke grenade launchers, modular appliqué armour, a new turret drive, weapon stabilizers, a new engine, transmission, and several other upgrades. Like the M48A2GA2, it also gets the 105mm L7A3 rifled gun. It was a privately funded project to upgrade the M48A2GA2. To put it simply, it's the ultimate modification of the M48 Patton. But unfortunately, only five prototypes were built of this vehicle. It was meant for armies that already had the M48 Patton so they would be able to purchase the Super M48 upgrade in order for their M48 Pattons to be more competitive with modern tanks. Alas, no buyers ordered this tank, as it entered the market in the 1990's when used tanks from the Cold War became plentiful.

More pictures:

Spoiler

This tank visibly resembles the original M48 Patton, but the added appliqué armor makes it look unique. This would be a very interesting modification of the M48 Patton to add to the game. I propose it be added as a Rank VI German MBT. It could be placed either before the KPz-70, or simply placed in the sixth rank of the tree, not connected to anything. If the regular M48A2GA2 is added, it could follow it in the tech tree. As for the more specific stats:

Spoiler
Entered service -
Crew 4 men
Dimensions and weight
Weight 53 t
Length (gun forward) 6.87 m
Hull length ?
Width 3.63 m
Height 2.9 m
Armament
Main gun 105-mm rifled
Machine guns 2 x 7.62-mm
Elevation range - 10 to + 20 degrees
Traverse range 360 degrees
Ammunition load
Main gun 40 rounds
Machine guns 10 000 x 7.62-mm
Mobility
Engine MB 837 Ea-500 diesel
Engine power 1 000 hp
Maximum road speed 56 km/h
Range ~ 500 km
Maneuverability
Gradient 60%
Side slope 30%
Vertical step 0.9 m
Trench 2.3 m
Fording 1.2 m
Fording (with preparation) up to 2.6 m

Armor:

In addition to the standard RHA steel armor of the M48 series, the Super M48's turret and hull are covered by a layer of modular applique armor, which may be removed when such protection is not essential, or easily-replaced if damaged. Spall liners, an automatic Halon fire suppression system, and a collective NBC system are standard equipment. Track skirts are unusual feature for an M48 variant, are standard. A bank of 4 Wegmann smoke mortars are fitted to either side of the turret for which HE-FRAG rounds may be loaded, as a means to "discourage" boarders.

Other:

It is 6.87 m long, 3.63 m wide, 2.9 m tall, weights 53 tonnes at combat weight, and has 0.92 kg/cm² of ground pressure. Its gradient, slope ground clearance, vertical step, trench, and fording are all the same as a regular M48 Patton (e.g., the M48A3).

Propulsion is provided by an MTU MB 837 Ea-500 V12 diesel with 1 000 hp, coupled to a Renk RK-304 automatic transmission with 4 forward and 4 reverse gears. This powerpack was fitted with quick-disconnect couplings, in order to effect a shorter down-time when replacing the powerpack. The suspension and running gear of the Super M48 are the same as used on the regular M48 Patton tanks, except that there are 3 return rollers instead of the usual 5 (as on the M48A2G2).

The main gun of the Super M48 is an L7A3 105-mm rifled gun with a 52-caliber tube, replacing the original 90-mm/L40 M41 gun of the M48A3. The main gun fires APFSDS, HEAT, HE, HESH, APERS, WP, and is complimented by a 7.62-mm coaxial machine gun, and a 7.62-mm machine gun on the roof. The total machine gun ammunition load is 10 000 rounds.

The Super M48's electronics package features a MOLF 48 fire control system, with a digital ballistics computer, a day/night GPS with passive thermal capability, and a laser rangefinder (an optical rangefinder was also included). An APU is also available as an option.
   Five prototype of the Super M48 were built. One Super M48 was experimentally powered by a Garret GT601 gas turbine, however no data is available for this vehicle.

Source

List of sources:

Spoiler

Thank you for reading and considering my suggestion. :salute:

Edited by HMSD33Dauntless
More pictures added
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for Discussion.:salute:

You might want to add more images if you can.

Edited by SAUBER_KH7
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

i'm all for this. tier 5 (even with APFSDS i'm not sure if the Super M48 is really tier 6 material) of most nations feels rather sparse. if the Super M48 and the M48A2GA2 appear at the same time it would also be a big counterweight to the Leos.

plus there's also room to argue this should be a US and eventual Italian premium- it was a privately (i.e. NOT government directed or influenced) made modification meant as an upgrade package for nations (US, WG, Italy) still using the M48. its much like the M60-2000 in that regard. so this would be the quid pro quo for the mKPZ 47.

at any rate +1.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Would be a nice 8.3-8.7 tank, a tank that can fire APFSDS that has some sort of armor (it's no T-10 but it's significantly better armored than the Leopard) but with very average mobility.

However, it would only make sense if the M48A2GA2 was also added: 

Regardless, I fully support this suggestion!

By the way, what's the thickness on the modular applique armor?

medal medal

1 hour ago, SAUBER_KH7 said:

Open for Discussion.:salute:

You might want to add more images if you can.

Thank you :salute: I believe I have found a few more pictures today

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Banfly said:

Would be a nice 8.3-8.7 tank, a tank that can fire APFSDS that has some sort of armor (it's no T-10 but it's significantly better armored than the Leopard) but with very average mobility.

Yes, I do believe the M48A2GA2 should be added as a Tier V tank. As for the armor I'm still trying to find it, it's not very easy to find. So far from what I can find it seems it still has the M48's armor underneath, but has a layer of removable modular applique armor on top of that.

18 minutes ago, HMSD33Dauntless said:

Yes, I do believe the M48A2GA2 should be added as a Tier V tank. As for the armor I'm still trying to find it, it's not very easy to find. So far from what I can find it seems it still has the M48's armor underneath, but has a layer of removable modular applique armor on top of that.

The modules probably work as ERA maybe in a similar way to the Super M60's (see spoiler) (spaced armor with a composite module sandwiched inbetween the cast armor and skirting plate) but these are just conjectures. 

Spoiler

Super%2B60%2Barmor%2Bresized.jpg

Edited by Banfly
medal medal

13 hours ago, Banfly said:

contents

14 hours ago, Banfly said:

I think the mobility might not be too bad actually it has a MTU MB 837 Ea-500 V12 diesel engine with 1000hp and an automatic transmission according to the sources given by the OP.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

I really like this and I think it would make a great addition for BR 8.3 - 8.7 in the German line a counter to the US M60A1 RISE (P), I would definately suggest it be after the M48A2GA2. You can read more about it below!:

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

I'd support this as a future German addition, the Leopards could use support from other interesting designs. I imagine it will come after the M48A2GA2 if that's ever implemented. Great suggestion Dauntless!

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal

• 9 months later...

Looks cool.  However before adding this I'd like to see NATO matchmaking allowed so you dont have more American tanks having to face superior foreign exports. And I'd also want another source on the gun stabiliser claim, lest we have another fiasco like that Italian premium.  Only one out of the three sources in the OP mentions a stabiliser. 

medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

Absolutely, this could be either in a folder with the M48A2GA2, or a standalone tank in rank VI, depending on what rank seems more appropriate. Either way, you have my support for this quite unique looking M48! +1 :yes_yes_yes:

• 3 months later...

What about turning KPz-70 “line” (one tank) into an “American export line”?

Since well over a 1,000 were exported, the KPz M47 could be added, (and the premium could be a special skin/unit vehicle), followed by the M48 series (one in game, another one I forgot the name of, and this tank?), into the KPz-70, also known as the MBT-70 in the US tree?

This would also fix the Leopard line having this weird Leopard 1 > M48 > Leopard 1 configuration.

Edited by kamikazi21358
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
1 minute ago, kamikazi21358 said:

What about turning KPz-70 “line” (one tank) into an “American export line”?

Since well over a 1,000 were exported, the KPz M47 could be added, (and the premium could be a special skin/unit vehicle), followed by the M48 series (one in game, another one I forgot the name of, and this tank?), into the KPz-70, also known as the MBT-70 in the US tree?

This would also fix the Leopard line having this weird Leopard 1 > M48 > Leopard 1 configuration.

Yeah that would be interesting, however as you might know in 1.91 the M48A2GA2 behind the Leo 1 will be moved in front of the Kpz-70. So that weird jumpo from leo to M48 to Leo is at least fixed.

I can totally see the Super M48 coming after the M48A2GA2 and before the Kpz-70.

Like this:

unknown.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stuhlfleisch said:

Yeah that would be interesting, however as you might know in 1.91 the M48A2GA2 behind the Leo 1 will be moved in front of the Kpz-70. So that weird jumpo from leo to M48 to Leo is at least fixed.

I can totally see the Super M48 coming after the M48A2GA2 and before the Kpz-70.

Like this:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Yeah, uh, I literally just came back from opening the game, I can’t believe I made this comment 10 minutes before finding out that is exactly what they’re doing.

I’m going to miss the Maus as I never got it, but I’m really loving the new tree, more M48s and bye papers!

Wait (I just read some more): so apparently research even just a couple points of it, and it won’t be hidden from me.  I really am not interested in playing it, as I prefer playing used vehicles, but I did want to “collect it” for say custom battles and such, so I am even happier.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sure, this would be a fun tank to see!  And as mentioned, it could work for the U.S. and Italian trees too.  I would really like to see this vehicle in the Italian tree as well, since they don't have a ton of tanks to choose from.  And I guess it could be in the U.S. tree too, but they don't really need it.

+1.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

39 minutes ago, Milocat said:

Sure, this would be a fun tank to see!  And as mentioned, it could work for the U.S. and Italian trees too.  I would really like to see this vehicle in the Italian tree as well, since they don't have a ton of tanks to choose from.  And I guess it could be in the U.S. tree too, but they don't really need it.

US have plenty of own varriations + very similar vehilces like already mentioned M60AX

medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Given the vehicle is from the mid 90s, it should have access to the DM33...

Superior APFDS performance , worse mobility (19 hp per ton) , and either equivilent or better frontal turret armor. Id say itd make for a good 8.7-9.0

Edited by Miki_Hoshii

With the recently announced changes to the tech tree, they also announced the M48A2GA2 would be getting an APFSDS round an a BR increase. I'm not going to discuss most of those changes in this thread, but one thing I noticed was that a lot of people were saying giving the M48A2GA2 a new round and raising the BR would make it less competitive. I don't own the M48A2GA2 myself yet, however, with these concerns being raised, I believe the Super M48 could be a solution to this. One of the issues is that the normal M48A2GA2 has no stabilizer and wouldn't do as well at a higher BR even with a better round. With that being said, the Super M48, on the other hand, does have a stabilizer along with a new engine for better mobility. So, in regards to the German tree being updated, I suggest the M48A2GA2 stay at its current BR and tier (though probably still moved so it's placed after the M48A2C) without the APFSDS round being added. Instead of moving it to Tier VI, the Super M48 would be added after the M48A2GA2, with access to an APFSDS round. The improved engine and the stabilizer on the Super M48 would hopefully make it a better option for a BR 8.3-8.7 vehicle than the regular M48A2GA2 with an APFSDS round.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/10/2019 at 20:55, *Brahimbs92 said:

does it have a stabilizer

Yes, it does. Along with keeping the 105mm L7A3 gun from the M48A2GA2, one of the upgrades was

New electro-hydraulic gun/turret drive and weapon stabilisation system

• Thanks 1