Panhard EBR (all variants)

CaID

would you like to see EBR FL-3 be added to the game?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see EBR FL-3 be added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes, as premium/gift/events vehicles
    • No
  2. 2. would you like to see EBR prototype FL-11 be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. would you like to see EBR mle 1951 be added to the game?

• yes
    • No
  4. 4. would you like to see EBR mle 1954 be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. would you like to see EBR mle 1964 be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No

france_flag_by_think0-d563k6e.jpg

This Suggestion is in support of the Armored Cars research line project

i would like to suggest the the interresting frenc armored car used for reconnaissance, the Panhard EBR and all his variants.

panhardebrfl11DUJARDIN2.jpg

the Engine Blinder de Reconnaissance, is a french heavy armored car built for the reconnaissance role from the early 50s. the design is based on the very uncommon armored car built by Panhard in the early ww2, the Panhard 201 who was ordered to be produced and put into service but wasn't able to make it on time. the EBR was create to be a Wheeled reconnaissance armored vehicles. the concept of mobility, low profile, good protection and fire power was push into their limit of the technology of this time to create an unique design of armored car. the 8 wheeled armored car was having the pair of wheel at the extremity made of rubber while the central pair was made of steel, the central pair was made to give a better drive in the soft ground to get close to what a tracked vehicles would have and those wheel could be retracted to allow a better road drive. the nose was slopped and a LMG was placed in the nose and the rear of the armored car, this armored car had the unusual feature to have 2 driver and the transmission allow a reverse drive as good as the forward drive. the turret was one of the first of his kind, with the AMX-13, the EBR was the only combat vehicles in service featuring a Oscillating turret. the protection of the armored car consisted of 40mm or armor in the nose, 20mm on the side, the turret armor can varied from a the model but remain the exact same as the the one used on the different AMX 13. the EBR was powered by a Panhard 12-cylinder gasoline engine of 200 hp which allow a top speed of 100km/h on road, the weight reaching 13ton was not any lighter than a light tank. the secret of the success of the EBR was his small size, his agility, his speed, his fire power and his high survival. while have no armor made to receive a hit from a tank, his design was made to save the crew in all cost. for example, the configuration of the EBR is made to protect the crew from the anti-tank mine, if the EBR drive over a mine, the blast will break the wheel and the shock may stun the crew but the crew are usually save, this feature was often proved in the Algerian war where in 12 attack, no crew from a destroyed EBR suffer any lost. in the 50s and 60s, a total of 1200 EBR was built, most of them for France but also a few hundred was exported to Indonesia, Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Tunisia where some are still in service. the EBR used in France are now retired from service in favor of more modern armored car.

Variants

EBR Mle 1951 (prototype FL-3)

Spoiler

ebr%2051%20814-494%2003%20fl3%20prototyp

this version was a trial of the EBR with a FL-3 Turret. the test allow the correction of many conception mistake which leaded to the final variant in 1951, the last modification the test leaded was the change of the FL-3 turret for the FL-11 and the vehicles was put into production in 1951.

EBR Mle 1951 (prototype FL-11)

Spoiler

ebr%2051%20814-494%2001%20proto.jpg

the last prototype made of the EBR was mounting a FL-11 turret with the Same  Sa-49 gun, the central whell was also change for a different model. the main difference between the prototype and the main production model is the flat frontal hull plate. the production variant had a pointy nose.

EBR mle 1951 (FL-11)

Spoiler

ebr%2051%20218-1061%2001%208e%20rh%20col

finally a first production model of the long design of the panhard design who started in 1937. the production model of the EBR mle 1951 FL-11 was nearly the same as the last prototype exept the nose who was not pointy to increase the armor. this model was mounting a FL-11 turret with the 75mm SA-49 gun, 60mm of armor in the front, 20mm on the side, the turret was lightly armored and the exact same as the AMX-13 FL-11. 1200 EBR was built and put into service in different country but the majority was in service in France.

EBR Mle 1954

Spoiler

ebr-fl10%2003%20photo%20p%20touzin.jpg

this was a major upgrade for the Mle 51, the turret was been removed for a more performing FL-10 who was armed with the 75mm SA-50 gun with an autoloader. most of the Mle 51 was converted to this standard.

EBR mle 1966

Spoiler

ebr90_030.jpg

this was the last variant of the Panhard EBR built in france,  with the new 90mm gun D921A Mle F 2  mounted on the FL-10 turret. this modification was made on 680 EBR Mle 51

additional picture.

Spoiler

ob_1a24d1_numeriser0002-2.jpgob_2bddc5_numeriser0010.jpgob_ff9be0_numeriser0003.jpgob_4077bb_numeriser0002.jpgob_6149ee_numeriser0006.jpgob_8d9fb2_numeriser0005.jpgebr-fl10%20manuel%20technique%20chargemeebr-fl10%20manuel%20technique%20organisaebr51%20manuel%20vue%20tourelle.jpgebr51%20manuel%20vue%20du%20chassis.jpgob_e907a3_numeriser0008.jpgob_39b28b_numeriser0011.jpgob_5fe011_numeriser0004.jpgebr%2051%20814-494%2010%20proto.jpgebr%2051%20814-494%2014%20fl3%20proto.jpebr%2051%20814-494%2011%20proto.jpg

ebafbe7dbf516e9afbd902067b63844b--hobbie

Specifications
Weight 13 tonnes (14 short tons; 13 long tons)
Length 6.15 m (20 ft 2 in)
Width 2.42 m (7 ft 11 in)
Height 2.24 m (7 ft 4 in)
Crew 4

Armor Hull front 40 mm
Hull sides 20 mm
Turret 40 mm
Main
armament
90 mm D921/F1 gun or 75 mm SA49 gun or 75mm SA50
Secondary
armament
3× 7.5 mm MAC34 Reibel machine guns most common, sometimes 4 x 7.5 mm MGs
4× smoke dischargers
Engine Panhard 12-cylinder gasoline engine
200 hp
Power/weight 15.4 hp/tonne
Suspension 8x8 wheel
Operational
range
630 km (390 mi)
Speed 100 km/h (62 mph)

source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_EBR

http://tanknutdave.com/french-ebr/

http://dictionnaire.sensagent.leparisien.fr/Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance/fr-fr/

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=418

http://www.massimocorner.com/afv/Surviving_Panhard_EBR.pdf

http://fnaca-estrablin.pagesperso-orange.fr/htmljournal/materielroulant/ebrpanhard/ebrpanhard.htm

http://www.warwheels.net/PanhardEbrFL10INDEX.html

Edited by CaID
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 18
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, IxiRip said:

+1, I hope they will be ingame in a AC line

me too, just as the link is suggesting for most nation, only those who have enough armored car. the british would have a great and wide selection of variant of armored car well ballance over all tier and to be honest, i think the british need some more good vehicles to make them more unique.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2018 at 9:24 PM, louis_poy said:

+1, I was actually surprised that it wasn't included on the tree release, beautiful machine and I sincerely hope to see it in game !

Agreed, though the only version I would really like is the FL-10 turret, I would love to see them all in the tree as their own branch leading into other vehicles, I think gaijin missed out on a great chance with the French tree and making it unique with a strong armoured car line.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

+5.  These all should be added to the game in one way or another.  France is famous for its armored cars, I'm surprised these weren't included from the start.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, NAM_Biohazard said:

Can't add all of them cause that would require a new branch the the french line, just too may of them.

Take only three and spread them even among the BR's

there is not rule against a 6th line for the AC, there is a lot of AC that could be add and the french are lucky enough to have a AC to cover every Tier and BR

• Upvote 3

AC with oscillating turrets can’t resist. You got my support.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering that the French tree contains many prototypes or even tanks never used by the French armored division (M4A1 (FL10), M4A4 (SA50); the French DB had only one - yes one - Jumbo and just a handful of early version M4A1 among their 800+ M4), it would be nice to add a few tanks which were actually mass produced and used by the French army. Among the most pressing candidates:

- The EBR Panhard - the subject of this post (at least 2 versions FL10 and F2 guns would be great)

- AMX-10 (for instance the version with the 90mm gun)

- FCM 2C (Premium like the T-35?). Crew of 12! The largest operational tank ever made.
- AMX-13 105 AUTOMOTEUR

Edited by No_Camping
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2018 at 07:03, NAM_Biohazard said:

Can't add all of them cause that would require a new branch the the french line, just too may of them.

Take only three and spread them even among the BR's

well, if gaijin is planning on adding a combined tree of vehicles from several countries, it could be placed there under Portuguese flag, since it was used in the colonial war...either way, i think all of them should be added...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/12/2018 at 05:28, No_Camping said:

I cannot believe this EBR (in at least 2 variants) is not in the December batch of  suggestions passed to devs
The predecessor of the AMX-10RC must be in War Thunder!

I feel you, but i think the developpers are aware that French tech tree is not in need of some "side grind mid-tier content" but mostly of "core grind ight tier content" which can be reflected in the suggestion that got passed to the devs. The EBR's vehicle line will surely come but at this point in time, they would not fulfiil any of the French Tree's needs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Tantor57 said:

I feel you, but i think the developpers are aware that French tech tree is not in need of some "side grind mid-tier content" but mostly of "core grind ight tier content" which can be reflected in the suggestion that got passed to the devs. The EBR's vehicle line will surely come but at this point in time, they would not fulfiil any of the French Tree's needs.

I agree, but stil, it's an iconic vehicle and we should get it, sooner than later.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 24/12/2018 at 22:28, No_Camping said:

I cannot believe this EBR (in at least 2 variants) is not in the December batch of  suggestions passed to devs
The predecessor of the AMX-10RC must be in War Thunder!

So say we all!  It's as an iconic a vehicle for France as the FT.  Please devs, give us at least one iconic French vehicle.    Of course I suspect it will be a 2cv when we do get it

. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal