1. 1. Do you support Puma?

• Yes. I support this Suggestion.
    • No. I dont support this Suggestion
  2. 2. What battle rating?

1BJ99IP.png

Germany

Schützenpanzer Puma (IFV)

puma-ifv-e1432109851515.jpg?w=1934&h=103

The new Puma Infantry Combat Vehicle (IFV) was jointly developed by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann and Rheinmetall in Germany to replace the old Marder 1 IFVs, which are over 30 years old. Five pre-production vehicles were delivered in 2004. Puma has successfully passed numerous trials and tests. The first production IFVs of Puma were delivered to the German army in 2015. About 350 of these machines will be delivered. Initially, it was planned to purchase 405 new IFVs. However, later this number was reduced due to limited funding. It is currently the largest acquisition program of the German army. The Puma will gradually replace the old Marder IFVs. Currently, Puma is the most advanced IFV in the world.

Puma is the most protected IFV currently available. It has a welded shield with additional modular armor. It has a choice of three different levels of protection to meet operational needs. The weight of the vehicle varies from 29.4 to 43 tonnes, according to a level of protection.

Initially the replacement of the Marder 1 was a joint project between KMW and Rheinmetall, now known as the Marder 2. A single prototype was built and delivered for trialls in 1991. With the unification of West and East Germany, the eventual easing of relations with Russia and the projected costs, the Marder 2 was dropped in 1992.

Marder-2-Infantry-Fighting-Vehicle-Image

As an alternative, the Marder 1 was upgraded and a new replacement project was started 10 years late, resulting in the Puma IFV.

Spoiler

In July 2009, Rheinmetall was awarded its largest order to date in its close to 125-year history. The Bundeswehr ordered over 400 leading-edge Puma infantry fighting vehicles from Projekt System & Management (PSM) GmbH, a subsidiary of Düsseldorf-based Rheinmetall.

Originally, the ageing Marder fighting vehicle was supposed to have been replaced by an entirely different vehicle: the Marder 2. Toward the end of the 1980s, the German government commissioned the former Krauss-Maffei to build a complete trial vehicle to be presented in 1991. Just as with the Marder fighting vehicle, Rheinmetall played a key role in this project. The prototype was equipped with a cannon which permitted rapid barrel and calibre changes from 35 to 50 mm. The military technical trials were performed at the Münster combat training facility to the satisfaction of all involved. However, the Marder 2 was dropped from the Bundeswehr planning in 1992 in response to the changing political parameters. Instead, the combat capability of the the Marder 1 IFV was enhanced and upgraded in multiple steps – naturally with the close involvement of Rheinmetall. The Marder 2 prototype, on the other hand, was relegated to a museum.

The "New infantry fighting vehicle" project was reactivated ten years later. The requirements: maximum protection of vehicle crew, airborne transport capability and rapid equipping and interchangeability of basic systems. These criteria could only be met with a completely new vehicle. The Puma's armour concept is modular. In the class A configuration, the IFV weighs 31.45 tonnes. This weight has been optimised for the A400M, the Bundeswehr's new transport aircraft. In class C, the combat variant, additional protective structures and modules are added to cover the entire threat spectrum, from mines and IEDs to ABC weapons. Furthermore, the Puma is equipped with a leading-edge fire suppression system for the crew compartment that detects and extinguishes fires within hundredths of a second, protecting the crew from significant harm.

The vehicle's main weapon is the MK30-2/ABM autocannon, developed by Rheinmetall. Unlike the Marder, this weapon is fully stabilised and has a calibre of 30 millimetres, while the Marder's armament was only 20 millimetres. This increases the combat range and enhances the effect on target. Additionally, the turret itself is no longer manned; the weapon is remote-controlled. The Heckler & Koch MG 4 serves as the secondary armament. The military's armament specification was expanded further in 2008. The Spike guided missile was added, manufactured by Eurospike GmbH, a 40-percent subsidiary of Rheinmetall.

hobbyboss-83899-puma-spz-2018-new-tool.j

The Puma relies on 3 key features to achieve its high levels of protection for the crew and Infantry. Firstly, the  Multifunctional Self protection Systemaka “MUSS” (soft-kill Active Protection System).

Secondly, the Modular Armor Package and its increased surface coverage deployment and thirdly, the internal layout. The engine is mounted in the front of the hull and the turret is unmanned, with the crew operating it from within the armored hull.

Both the engine bay and crew compartment have been fitted with a fire suppression system and has full NBC protection.

The Puma’s Modular Armor comes in 2 configurations. The basic version refered too as “Level A” meaning Air-transportable, includes full mine protection and ballistic protection on a high level. The up armored version is refered to as “Level C” meaning Combat.

R40POth.jpg

Set across the front and upper sections of the hull are welded on passive armor fixing points. Attached to these fixings are plates of AMAP Armo (AMAP-B). The manufacturer states that the AMAP-B combined with the Puma’s hull steel offers protection to Level 5 of STANAG 4569 against KE rounds.

puma-3.jpg?w=752&h=351

Red- 30 mm gun | Yellow- 5.56 mm gun |Light blue- Grenade launchers

The primary armament is a Rheinmetall 30mm MK-30-2/ABM (Air Burst Munitions) autocannon, which has a rate of fire of 200 rounds per minute and an effective range of 3,000m. The smaller 30×173mm cartridge offers major weight saving advantages for example in comparison to the Bofors 40mm gun mounted on the CV9040 because of a much lower ammunition size and weight. The belt feed system also gives a large number of rounds ready to fire, while the 40mm offers only 24 shots per magazine. This is not a problem in a CV9040, but would force the Puma off the battlefield to reload the unmanned turret.

There are currently two ammunition types directly available via the autocannon's dual ammunition feed. One is a sub-calibre, fin-stabilised APFSDS-T (T for tracer), with high penetration capabilities, mainly for use against medium armoured vehicles. The second is a full-calibre, multi-purpose, Kinetic Energy-Timed Fuse (KETF) munition, designed with the air burst capability (depending on the fuse setting) for ejecting a cone of sub-munitions. The ammunition type can be chosen on a shot to shot basis, as the weapon fires from an open bolt, meaning no cartridge is inserted until the trigger is depressed. The ammunition capacity is 400 rounds; 200 ready to fire and 200 in storage.

Keeping the weight within the 35-ton limit also led to a smaller calibre for the secondary armament, a coaxially mounted 5.56mm HK MG4 machine gun firing at 850 rounds per minute and with an effective range of 1,000 m. The ammunition capacity is 2,000 rounds; 1,000 ready to fire and 1,000 in storage. While this is a smaller weapon than the western standard secondary armament (7.62 mm caliber MG), it offers the advantage that the crew can use the ammunition in their individual firearms. In situations where the lower range and penetration of the 5.56 mm rounds is an issue, the high ammunition load of the main gun enables the vehicle crew to use one or two main gun rounds instead. The gun housing can also host the 7.62mm MG3.

wotan7.jpg

The optimum combination of a high rate of fire and state-of-the-art ammunition technology makes the MK30-2/ABM an uncompromising, highly reliable weapon system. With a maximum effective range of 3,000 metres, the MK30-2/ABM is extremely effective against land, air and sea targets. The MK30-2/ABM is the main armament of the new German Puma infantry fighting vehicle.

Spoiler

wotan+spec.jpg

Spoiler

wotan5.jpg

a4cf061e5e5a72973d344f932e356488.jpg

Traditionally, IFVs are expected to interact with MBTs on the battlefield. In fact, many IFVs are not mobile enough to keep pace with a Main Battle Tank. Puma intends to close this gap with several key technologies. Firstly, its compact and lightweight MTU Diesel engine is unusually strong with a nominal power of 800 kW, which can make it the most powerful engine in use in an IFV today. Even with the maximum weight of 43-T in protection class C, it has a higher kW / T ratio than the Leopard 2 MBT that it is supposed to complement.

Spoiler

Weight: 31.45-T (level A) 43-T (level C)
Length: 7.6 m
Width: 3.9 m (uparmored)
Height: 3.6 m
Crew: 3 + 6

Main armament:  30mm  MK30-2/ABM autocannon400 rounds

source:

Edited by pieve
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 17
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

i must sadly vote with no on this one, sry
1. Spike ATGM is Fire and Forget
2. its not even fully in service (still replacing the Marder 1's)
3. its literally the Leo 2A7V of IFV's.... (if this gets implemented it should support the 2A7V and i bet we are not seeing that thing any time soon (planned introduction of the 2A7V to the BW between 2019-2023)

35 minutes ago, Nope said:

what is armor value

too much... it has AMAP

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, WulfPack said:

The table I found is incorrect, Right?

ryqWHyo.png

nope

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

18 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

1. Spike ATGM is Fire and Forget

I didn’t see anything in Pieve’s suggestion about the Spike though, unless I missed it. 

But with all this negative feed back, I will gladly throw my hat into the ring, -1 

Bedrohungsszenarien_Ganzheitlicher_Schut

02e963680fac99617eaecfc6c2727c7d.jpg
just look at that Addon armour thickness (Preseries Chassie and turret)

Edited by dotEXCEL

58 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

I didn’t see anything in Pieve’s suggestion about the Spike though, unless I missed it.

because he didnt mentioned it...
https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/de/rheinmetall_defence/public_relations/themen_im_fokus/puma_ersetzt_marder/index.php

Die Hauptwaffe des Fahrzeugs ist die von Rheinmetall entwickelte Maschinenkanone MK30-2/ABM. Die Waffe ist im Gegensatz zum Marder voll stabilisiert und hat ein Kaliber von 30 Millimetern, während es beim Marder nur 20 Millimeter waren. Dadurch erhöht sich die Kampfreichweite und die Wirkung im Ziel wird verbessert. Im Turm des Panzers befindet sich zudem keine Besatzung mehr; die Waffe wird ferngesteuert. Als Sekundärbewaffnung dient das MG 4 von Heckler & Koch. Die Bewaffnungsforderung des Bundes wurde 2008 noch einmal erweitert. Hinzu kam der Lenkflugkörper Spike der Eurospike GmbH, einer 40-Prozent-Beteiligung von Rheinmetall.

bild-1.jpg

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

wrong I did not mention because he's still on test, that's why I did not with Spike

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

because he didnt mentioned it...

19 minutes ago, pieve said:

wrong I did not mention...

and were was i wrong exactly?

19 minutes ago, pieve said:

...he's still on test, that's why I did not with Spike

since 10 years? i dont think so m8. The Puma is already in delivery to the BW
@swpixy's former battalion already have theirs

If you would acually read/ translate the page i linked (Rheinmetall) then you would know that the SPIKE is part of the Puma-weapon system since 2008).
We are even upgrading Marder 1's with the spike right now (MELLS is the german designation for Spike-LR http://www.defence24.com/armed-forces/spike-atgw-system-procured-by-the-bundeswehr)
https://www.pressebox.de/pressemitteilung/rheinmetall-ag/Rheinmetall-integriert-Panzerabwehrlenkflugkoerper-MELLS-in-Schuetzenpanzer-Marder/boxid/898272

Edited by dotEXCEL

1 hour ago, dotEXCEL said:

too much... it has AMAP

not a value, though the composite side appliqué is thicc

medal

15 minutes ago, Nope said:

not a value, though the composite side appliqué is thicc

well...

csm_Log_EP_60b593e02f.jpg

Spoiler

Rheinmetall.jpg

aSaZ0Nl.jpg

8OFXAnq.png?width=842&height=623

014g.jpg

IIRC Protection level A (the lowest) is frontally immune to 30mm and things like the RPG-7,Protection level C extends that to the sides.The UFP might eat quite a bit more than that given the angle,though.Also comes with MUSS (Softkill APS) as standard.

(Also,that unmanned turret would probably make this thing kinda annoying to play against,especially since it doesnt have to stick around to guide its ATGM´s in...)

Edited by swpixy
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

02e963680fac99617eaecfc6c2727c7d.jpg
just look at that Addon armour thiccness (Preseries Chassie and turret)

Image result for when she thicc

• Like 1

As much as I'd love to see this beast of a machine in WT, it's about as likely as gaijin properly implementing it.

Unless... They go the A(lready dead) Warfare way and just fudge all the numbers and capabilities.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 04/04/2018 at 14:45, scavenjer said:

As much as I'd love to see this beast of a machine in WT, it's about as likely as gaijin properly implementing it.

Unless... They go the A(lready dead) Warfare way and just fudge all the numbers and capabilities. 

apparently it is very likely he will come now

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 with the current Meta. The Spike ATGM can easily be modeled into the game now that we have Hellfires. There's no reason to implement fire & forget. Plenty of examples of Gaijin & the game designers just randomly leaving things out because it would upset the balance of the game, such as the Leopard 2A4's mantlet protection. The armor is good all around but wouldn't be able to withstand most of the darts & high penetration heatfs being fired at top tier, so the resulting shrapnel would potentially be devastating in comparison to a light tank with much less armor. Remember, in War Thunder, no armor is best armor.

I would much rather see Germany get this vehicle than another Leopard 2 that's been nerfed into the ground by Gaijin. Make the Leopard 2a4 the beast it's supposed to be and give it this vehicle in support. Add the Euro Tigre, a ground stinger platform, and maybe the Alpha Jet and bobs your uncle: balance.

• Like 1
medal medal

4 hours ago, Xiphidion said:

+1 with the current Meta. The Spike ATGM can easily be modeled into the game now that we have Hellfires. There's no reason to implement fire & forget. Plenty of examples of Gaijin & the game designers just randomly leaving things out because it would upset the balance of the game, such as the Leopard 2A4's mantlet protection. The armor is good all around but wouldn't be able to withstand most of the darts & high penetration heatfs being fired at top tier, so the resulting shrapnel would potentially be devastating in comparison to a light tank with much less armor. Remember, in War Thunder, no armor is best armor.

I would much rather see Germany get this vehicle than another Leopard 2 that's been nerfed into the ground by Gaijin. Make the Leopard 2a4 the beast it's supposed to be and give it this vehicle in support. Add the Euro Tigre, a ground stinger platform, and maybe the Alpha Jet and bobs your uncle: balance.

there is only 1 issue with this plan... the SPIKE LR can be TV guided... meaning you cloud sit behind a ridge and fire over it... remember the IT-1 when introduced? like that but with full inflight control over the missile... but too broken as for now... i would suggest ''instant smokescreens'' as a defense messure. like this:

Edited by dotEXCEL

20 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

there is only 1 issue with this plan... the SPIKE LR can be TV guided... meaning you cloud sit behind a ridge and fire over it... remember the IT-1 when introduced? like that but with full inflight control over the missile... but too broken as for now...

Yea the fire & forget and POV guidance would be prohibitive in it's inclusion, but one of the things we've learned in the last few patches is that Gaijin is willing to skirt around & omit elements & mechanics for the sake of balance... ammo modifiers being the chief among them. There's no reason the Spike simply can't be modeled to work the same way the Hellfires are currently in the game, & when balance can be achieved later on they can be changed to F&F or POV.

medal medal