Douglas A-4M Skyhawk

Douglas A-4M Skyhawk  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Should the A-4M Skyhawk be added to the game?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'd prefer an earlier version, such as the A-4E.

Aircraft: Douglas A-4M Skyhawk

Classification: Single-engine, carrier-based attacker

Visuals:

Spoiler

mcdonnell_douglas_a_4m_skyhawk_ii_2.jpg

964498e4898855167b9e4bf2731c55db.jpg

1d5b77614eba36f533a3ef9d0d8cc2e5.jpg

3e19db9caf305a989b13a51cb950fd67.jpg

7cd0e421f47ee35d2307a9eede1f6e98.jpg

Description: The A-4M was a further advancement of the Skyhawk, designed to fulfill USMC needs for an attack aircraft that had short take-off and landing ability.

This model boasted several improvements over previous iterations, including the much more powerful J52-P-408 engine, a larger cockpit canopy for superior pilot visibility, a ribbon-type drag chute to slow down the aircraft on landing, a square-edged stabilizer to incorporate installation of the IFF antenna, as well as a reworked refueling probe and engine starter system. The A-4M also doubled the ammunition capacity for its dual 20mm Colt Mk.12 cannon and incorporated highly advanced radar warning, receiver, jammer transmitter, and bombing systems.

Production of the A-4M Skyhawk began in 1969, with deliveries taking place in early ‘71. The last A-4M was built in February ‘79, with all active USMC light attack squadrons incorporating the A-4M into their roster of active duty aircraft. The A-4M would go on to serve with the USMC until early 1990, upon which it saw usage with reserve units.

Fuel and Oil Data:

Internal Fuel Capacity: 800 gallons (560 gal in wing, 240 in fuselage)

Oil Capacity: 5.0 gallons

Engine Data:

Manufacturer: Pratt & Whitney

Designation: J52-P-408

Type: axial turbojet

Compressor Stages: 12-stage axial-flow compressor (7-stage high pressure, 5-stage low pressure)

Combustion Chamber: cannular

Turbine stages: single-stage high pressure, single-stage low pressure

Fuel Grade: JP-4

Power Data:

Intermediate (military) Power: 11187 lbf @ 12010 RPM

Maximum Continuous (normal) Power: 9900 lbf @ 11670 RPM

Dimensional Data:

Length: 41.3 ft

Height: 15.0 ft

Wing Span: 27.5 ft

Wing Area: 260 sq. ft

Wing Loading: 56.5 lbs/sq. ft @ combat weight for clean condition

Weight Data:

Empty Weight: 10418 lbs

Combat Weight for clean condition: 14700 lbs

Takeoff Weight for clean condition: 16867 lbs

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 24500 lbs

Fuel Weight: 3264 lbs under clean, combat condition; 5440 lbs under clean, takeoff condition

General Performance Data (takeoff weight, clean condition, intermediate power):

Max Speed: 597 knots (1105.6 kph) @ 5000 ft

Power-off, flaps-up Stall Speed: 117 knots (216.7 kph)

Takeoff Distance: 1550 ft

Service Ceiling: 44300 ft

NOTE: exact speed:altitude figures have limited accuracy (+/- 1 kph) due to SAC graph resolution in some instances.

Maximum Speeds (combat weight, clean condition, intermediate power):

At SL: 595 knots (1101.9 kph)

At 5000 ft: 597 knots (1105.6 kph)

At 10000 ft: ~596 knots (1103.8 kph)

At 20000 ft: ~583 knots (1079.7 kph)

At 30000 ft: ~560 knots (1037.1 kph)

At 38500 ft: 537 knots (994.5 kph)

At 40000 ft: ~535 knots (990.8 kph)

NOTE: exact climb:altitude figures have limited accuracy due to SAC graph resolution.

Rate of Climb (combat weight, clean condition, intermediate power):

At SL: 15560 ft/min (79.1 m/s)

At 10000 ft: ~12500 ft/min (63.5 m/s)

At 20000 ft: ~11000 ft/min (55.9 m/s)

At 30000 ft: ~7750 ft/min (39.4 m/s)

At 38500 ft: 3600 ft/min (18.3 m/s)

At 40000 ft: ~3250 ft/min (16.5 m/s)

Time to Altitude (takeoff loading condition, clean, intermediate power):

To 20000 ft: 1.8 min

To 30000 ft: 3.1 min

Armament:

Guns: 2x Colt Mk.12 Mod 3 20mm cannon (400 rounds total, 200 RPG)

Bomb/Rocket Ordnance: (spoilered below due to the wealth of ordnance loadout options)

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sources:

[1] Standard Aircraft Characteristics: Navy Model A-4M Aircraft, NAVAER 00-110AA4-9, June 1971

[2] NATOPS Flight Manual Navy Model A-4M Aircraft, NAVAIR 01-40AVM-1, 1 November 1971

• Like 3
  • Upvote 22
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Like 1

• Senior Forum Moderator

No such thing as too many scooters...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Why not ? However it within War thunder there wouldnt be that much of  a difference from A4F to A4M.

Mostly just a modest avionics upgrade. Newer RWR, and new armament selector panels, some rearrangement of instruments. Don't think war thunder would model the nuances to make the A4M stand out from an A4F or modified A4E "humpback"  version ( essentially to A4F standards)

Edited by RanchSauce39

Here is something that is confusing me...

According to SAC, A-4M can carry only two Sidewinders, on wing stations 2 and 4

Wing stations 1 and 5 are limited to 570lbs

As seen on A-4M SAC, it states it carries Sidewinder IA, weight of Sidewinder IA is 164lbs

Why can't it carry four Sidewinders then?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, TyphoonCro said:

Here is something that is confusing me...

According to SAC, A-4M can carry only two Sidewinders, on wing stations 2 and 4

Wing stations 1 and 5 are limited to 570lbs

As seen on A-4M SAC, it states it carries Sidewinder IA, weight of Sidewinder IA is 164lbs

Why can't it carry four Sidewinders then?

I think it had something to do with wiring as the Australian A-4G's were modified to carry 4 for fleet defense for our piddly little carrier 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fa11enPhoenix said:

I'm all for adding the A-4, but was thinking the A. B, C or E... why jump in with one of the last models produced for the US?

That and, as already mentioned, the avionics that set the M apart from earlier models wont have any impact in Warthunder.

earlier A4 models have already been suggested.  no one is saying A4M has to be the first or only model.

Besides as a "tier 6" material i would think late models ( A4E +)  would be more appropriate due to carrying aim9's and having some avionics suites pertaining to Radar ( A/G based ) Radar warning, and Chaff/flare dispensers. non missile armed A4 i think would technically be more like tier 5's.

Edited by RanchSauce39

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Definitely a +1 in my book. Used to see these all the time at MCAS miramar in the aircraft museum we had there. I definitely think this is the one we should add, if for no other reason than because it gets the upgraded engine. The avionics are good an all, but that extra thrust combined with its maneuverability will be what keeps this thing alive against supersonic aircraft in air RB. Also, as this was the marine corps variant that served up intil its replacement by the AV-8 harrier, we could potentially see it carry the AIM-9H or AIM-9G without getting into the all-aspect missiles like the AIM-9L, which it did carry post 1981.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

After looking around on net, I came across "Tactical pocket guide for A-4/TA-4 Aircraft" NAVAIR 01-40AV-1TB, 1 February 1976

And there it shows this:

Spoiler

unknown.png

So @triggerhappySOB is indeed right, they were able to carry G and H versions but still one mystery remains...

Were US Skyhawks able to carry total of four Sidewinders?

Spoiler

unknown.png

sky2-McDonnell-Douglas-A-4G-Skyhawk-Aust

Royal Australian Navy ones were able to, but were US ones able to as well?

However, I do support this plane

Edited by TyphoonCro
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, TyphoonCro said:

but were US ones able to as well?

That’s a good question.

From photos, we know that the Royal Australian Navy’s A-4G, the Israeli A-4H, and the Royal New Zealand Air Force’s A-4K were all capable of mounting LAU-7/AIM-9 on the outer underwing stations fairly early in their service lives. And without upgrades, the basic A-4E and A-4F airframes weren’t capable of using Sidewinders on any station other than 2 and 4, which was because of the original two-pylon wing.

As for the A-4M, the SAC quite categorically states that it’s limited to the inboard stations, much like the E/F, and most images of the A-4M show the aircraft without Sidewinders at all. However, in this image of an A-4M at NAWS China Lake in 1983, there appears to be something suspended from a LAU-7 missile launch rail on one of the outboard wing stations:

Spoiler

LHL-226384.jpg

Only thing is, that’s one of the A-4Ms upgraded to have the later Angle Rate Bombing System as well as TV/laser hardware in the nose, not a factory fresh example, so it’s still anyone’s guess. It could very well be that the original A-4M was limited to the two inboard stations, while the A-4M post ARBS was able to use them on all four underwing stations.

medal medal

This is a plea not so much for the A-4 but for aircraft in the next update (1.91?).  I've heard rumors that the F-4 Phantom and the Mig-21 will be included in the next update.  Please give us more of the 2nd generation fighters before we jump to 3rd generation.  For the US lineup the F-102, F-11F,  A-4, F-3H, and F-4D Skyray all were introduced into service in 1956.  US aircraft introduced in 1957 include the F-8U and the F-101.  The F-8U could also be added to the French lineup.  Japan could get the T-1 and Italy the Aerfer Ariete.  Britain could get the Supermarine Scimiter.  Please introduce these aircraft prior the the F-4 Phantom and the Mig-21.

Thanks, VonSchwendeman

P.S.  Mods, if you need to move this post please do so, but please do not delete it.

Edited by VonSchwendeman
medal medal medal medal medal

On 20/07/2019 at 10:34, TyphoonCro said:

So @triggerhappySOB is indeed right, they were able to carry G and H versions but still one mystery remains...

Were US Skyhawks able to carry total of four Sidewinders?

You know, that's a good question. I know it's already been stated that the earlier A-4s were only capable of two, but I couldn't rightly tell you for the M model. Considering it's role with the USMC, I know it usually would forego the sidewinders in favor of other ordnance or fuel, as we used this thing primarily for SEAD or light attack missions. I'm sure that it could with the modernization, but I highly doubt it was ever done simply because we didn't really use it with CAP or interception in mind. That's what we had the F-4 and the later F/A-18 for while the A-4M was in service.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I really like the new A-4B in WT, but I sometimes wish it has more "umpff" in its engine

the super skyhawk gives us this by increasing the thrust by about 3000lbs

when low fuel is used it has a T2W ratio near 1

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...