F-84F Thunderstreak

Florus_

Should the Thunderstreak be added to the game?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Thunderstreak be added to the game?

• Yes
    • No (why)
  2. 2. Where should it be placed?

• Premium
    • Normal Tree
    • Event Vehicle
    • (I answered no to the first one)

Hello, i'd like to suggest a nice plane to fill out the current top tier of the Italian air-force, as well as a good plane to prepare the tree for tier 6: the F-84F Thunderstreak.

The F-84F Thunderstreak began testing in 1950, however faced a number of teething problems with its design, as well as multiple issues with its components. This delayed the aircraft to only enter service in 1954, and further delayed it due to other issues. In 1956, the Italian air-force was given multiple F-84F's, of which they operated until 1971. Other than the issues with malfunctioning and not being maintained properly, the aircraft was very capable, and even had set a speed record for a flight between L.A. to New York, in just three hours, 44 minutes, and 53 seconds in March of 1955.

The F-84F's design was an upgrade from the F-84G, slightly enlarging the fuselage to allow for the upgraded Wright J65 engine, and also swept the wings to allow for a higher max speed and more maneuverability at high speeds. This made the aircraft extremely powerful, and gave them the ability to fight against the more advanced F-86 Sabres, as well as giving it a higher max payload from the original F-84 design. However, it did have some of the same disadvantages of it's older sister, the F-84G. It had an extremely long takeoff run, and had issues dependent on the weather that could extend the takeoff to up to 2.3 kilometers.

In War Thunder, this plane would be able to perform very similarly to the F-86 Sabres in many of the lines in game, like the German CL-13, the Japanese F-40, and the American F-25. I would love to see it as an introduction into the american export line that Italy had throughout the cold war.

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 43 ft 4¾ in (13.23 m)
  • Wingspan: 33 ft 7¼ in (10.25 m)
  • Height: 14 ft 4¾ in (4.39 m)
  • Wing area: 325 ft² (30 m²)
  • Empty Weight: 13,830lb (5,200 kg)
  • Max Takeoff Weight: 28,000 lb (12,701 kg)
  • Engine: 1 × Wright J65-W-3 turbojet, 7,220 lbf (32.2 kN)

Performance

• Maximum Speed: 695 mph (604 knots, 1,119 km/h, Mach .91) at sea level
  • Range: 1,900 miles (1651.1 nmi, 3057.8 km)
  • Service Ceiling: 46,000 ft (14,000 m)
  • Rate of Climb: 8,200 ft/min (42 m/s)
  • Wing Loading: 86 lb/ft² (423 kg/m²)

Armament

•  .50 in (12.7 mm) Browning M3 machine guns
  • Up to 6,000lb (2,727 kg) of rockets and bombs.

F-84F Thunderstreak Pictures:

Spoiler

On Runway

image.thumb.png.28ab30c4a2e2928c116c43e2

On Display

Image result for italian F-84F

Artist Rendering

X-ray of the aircraft

Image result for F-84F manual

F-84F Model

F-84F Blueprint

Republic F-84F Thunderstreak cutaway

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-84F_Thunderstreak

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/61/60/1

https://www.airplanesofthepast.com/f84f-thunderstreak.htm

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/198069/republic-f-84f-thunderstreak/

http://www.thunderstreaks.com/f-84f/f-84fs-of-the-italian-air-force/#prettyPhoto

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=915

Edited by Florus_
Added Blueprint
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Upvote 1

Would also be nice to see this added to the German roster as it was used at the same time as the Sabre, fullfilling the ground-attack role while the sabre was used as a tactical fighter

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Just now, ImPeRaToR said:

Would also be nice to see this added to the German roster as it was used at the same time as the Sabre, fullfilling the ground-attack role while the sabre was used as a tactical fighter

I agree! I just felt the Italian tree could really use it as they have so few planes in their tier 5 roster.

Definitely :)

the more the merrier!

The F-84G looks really great though when it comes to loadouts, the germans seem to have no decent cas plane between the 410s and 190F-8 at 4.7 and the sabre/mig-19 at 9.0

medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, ImPeRaToR said:

F-84F could be implemented in american, italian, german and french tech trees ...  Great deal for Gaijin. :D

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

26 minutes ago, Gavin_Mactavish said:

perfect 8.3-9.3 jet. Wont be a bad entry level 9.0.

18 hours ago, Blazeangel2016 said:

Performance

• Maximum Speed: 695 mph (604 knots, 1,119 km/h, Mach .91) at sea level
18 hours ago, Blazeangel2016 said:

Rate of Climb: 8,200 ft/min (42 m/s)

49 minutes ago, ImPeRaToR said:

I wouldn't think of it as a good idea. The CL-13 is enough for Germany as a top rank 5, and adding it to both Germany and Italy lessens the uniqueness of it to the US (which were the ones to design it) since the US will get it eventually if Italy gets it or doesn't.

+1 for Italy and US 

• Confused 4
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

46 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

I wouldn't think of it as a good idea. The CL-13 is enough for Germany as a top rank 5, and adding it to both Germany and Italy lessens the uniqueness of it to the US (which were the ones to design it) since the US will get it eventually if Italy gets it or doesn't.

+1 for Italy and US 

I would love it for Italy, and there's also the F-86K that was exported to multiple countries as well.

But yes i agree that adding it to everyone would make it feel much less unique overall.

Edited by Blazeangel2016

2 hours ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

+1 for Italy and US 

~4000 produced F-84F....
(west germany had 450 of these, not including the RF-84Fs) (italy had almost 200 not including RF-84Fs)
why shouldnt the germany tree get it? cant see a logical reason
http://www.geschichte.luftwaffe.de/portal/a/geschlw/start/waffe/jagdbo/f84f/!ut/p/z1/hY4xD4IwFIR_iwNrXy1BxQ10UTExwSh0MQVqwRRKSgV_vjVMJhJve_e-uxxQSIA2rK8EM5VqmLR3She3cBWdI-ITEl38Ld7NjwfP90NCNnO4_gOofeMJBRjigkNqO5aTHbGFgAJ9sJ69UKu0kdwgln8WQlqyppD8pPJgNPZAhVTZOD1oMnclgGp-55pr9NTWLo1pu7WDHTwMAxJKCclRrmoH_4qUqjOQfJPQ1smAXU_2UTB7A0HTN48!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#Z7_B8LTL2922LV9D0I1MK599B22S0

besides that... the german version was already passed to the devs

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

~4000 produced F-84F....
(west germany had 450 of these, not including the RF-84Fs) (italy had almost 200 not including RF-84Fs)
why shouldnt the germany tree get it? cant see a logical reason
http://www.geschichte.luftwaffe.de/portal/a/geschlw/start/waffe/jagdbo/f84f/!ut/p/z1/hY4xD4IwFIR_iwNrXy1BxQ10UTExwSh0MQVqwRRKSgV_vjVMJhJve_e-uxxQSIA2rK8EM5VqmLR3She3cBWdI-ITEl38Ld7NjwfP90NCNnO4_gOofeMJBRjigkNqO5aTHbGFgAJ9sJ69UKu0kdwgln8WQlqyppD8pPJgNPZAhVTZOD1oMnclgGp-55pr9NTWLo1pu7WDHTwMAxJKCclRrmoH_4qUqjOQfJPQ1smAXU_2UTB7A0HTN48!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#Z7_B8LTL2922LV9D0I1MK599B22S0

besides that... the german version was already passed to the devs

If Germany also gets it then it will be another F-84G. Do you want that? 

Germany could get the F-86K and CL-13B Mk 6, those are enough before going supersonic in the West German line. 

3 hours ago, Blazeangel2016 said:

I would love it for Italy, and there's also the F-86K that was exported to multiple countries as well.

Oh yes, I'd love the F-86K for both Italy and Germany. Fiat license-produced the F-86K and Germany also used it. Both need that plane at early tier 6 before transitioning to supersonic speeds. The F-86K is the export version of the F-86D with guns to begin with, it was not intended for the USAF.

Edited by EpicBlitzkrieg87
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

If Germany also gets it then it will be another F-84G. Do you want that? 

Germany could get the F-86K and CL-13B Mk 6, those are enough before going supersonic in the West German line. 

I want the aircraft that germany used... so yes, i want it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The Bundesluftwaffe also needs its CAS aircraft, not just the tactical fighter

• Confused 1
medal medal medal

TheElite96
TheElite96 gave EpicBlitzkrieg87 a warning for this post
Reason: Verbal Warning Only · Points: 0 ·
15 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

I want the aircraft that germany used... so yes, i want it

Of course, it's because you're biased towards Germany and you don't care about fairness throughout the game as long as you're happy with Germany :dntknw:

TheElite96 (Posted )

Do Not:
1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas.

Verbal Warning
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Of course, it's because you're biased towards Germany and you don't care about fairness throughout the game as long as you're happy with Germany :dntknw:

actually in this case, it is rather unfair that all other nations have several capable jets for CAS while east- and west-germany only have one each, and the sabre is rather lacking, because it was not used in such a capacity. That was the job for the F-84F

medal medal medal

1 hour ago, ImPeRaToR said:

actually in this case, it is rather unfair that all other nations have several capable jets for CAS while east- and west-germany only have one each, and the sabre is rather lacking, because it was not used in such a capacity. That was the job for the F-84F

I'd rather limit them to the F-86K and CL-13B Mk 6 than have another F-84G "sort of plane". That and those two Sabres still had good CAS capabilities IRL. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The Cl-13B only has either bombs or rockets so you are not very versatile and those rockets are not very powerful against modern tanks. The German F-86K only carried AIM-9s

Edited by ImPeRaToR
medal medal medal

5 hours ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

speaking for fairness but denying germany the few aircraft that they had... its called HISTORICAL... if you are not happy with that, invent a time-machine and change history :016:
biased towards germany... says the one guy who is defending US jets and hating on every german suggestion being made since T6 is a thing
The US have more than enough jets to have a unique Tech Tree, just look at all the Naval Jets

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

I'd rather limit them to the F-86K and CL-13B Mk 6 than have another F-84G "sort of plane". That and those two Sabres still had good CAS capabilities IRL. 

so you want to deny germany one of their most used planes in the early years of the Luftwaffe after WW2?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Iron_physik said:

so you want to deny germany one of their most used planes in the early years of the Luftwaffe after WW2?

43 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

speaking for fairness but denying germany the few aircraft that they had... its called HISTORICAL... if you are not happy with that, invent a time-machine and change history

I think that all three countries should get the jet, however there is priority in the fact that Germany and America already have quite a few tier 5 jets, while Italy has only 3.

5 minutes ago, Blazeangel2016 said:

I think that all three countries should get the jet

You mean four countries... (Don't forget France operated lot of these planes).

F84F_9-AI_29067_em-.jpg

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

42 minutes ago, sh4d0w said:

You mean four countries... (Don't forget France operated lot of these planes).

I do recognize they operated it, however there aren't any good sources aligning how many they got. In theory every country gets every plane they flew, but right now i'm sure gaijin is prioritizing planes that the country had a lot of and operated quite frequently. The one source i could find was France only had 124. That is not a lot of planes.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Blazeangel2016 said:

I do recognize they operated it, however there aren't any good sources aligning how many they got. In theory every country gets every plane they flew, but right now i'm sure gaijin is prioritizing planes that the country had a lot of and operated quite frequently. The one source i could find was France only had 124. That is not a lot of planes.

A total of 384 F84F were used by France. It was the main fighter in the French air-force during the end of the 50's.

http://jets.for.ever.pagesperso-orange.fr/Pages/F-84 F Fr.htm

Edited by Arghail
medal medal medal medal