RUAG Leopard 2A4 Upgrade (Swiss technology)

mc205v

DO YOU WANT THIS VEHICLE?   

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want "RUAG Leopard 2A4 Upgrade" in the German Tech Tree?

285321965_1-RUAGLeopard2A4.thumb.jpg.985

RUAG Leopard 2A4 Upgrade

In 2013 a new upgrade package for Leopard 2 A4 was presented by the Swiss company RUAG, called "Leopard 2 Mid-Life", the package not only improves the overall performance of the vehicle, but further extends the useful life of the Leopard 2A4. The kit consists of new composite packages to improve protection by reaching current standards and an improved fire control system. RUAG has also added a new modular armor package with composite armor. This is mounted on the front and sides of the hull and turret for fighting in urban areas. Modular side armor can defeat RPG-7 attacks and AP rounds at level 6, STANAG 4569. The modules to be applied to the tank can be tailored according to the threat present in a given operation, and damaged modules can be easily replaced in the field. There are also laser warning sensors in the kit. The tanks updated with this package always feature the 120 mm L / 44 cannon, 7.5 mm coaxial machine gun and 12.6 mm remote machine gun mounted on the turret (these are calibers mainly used by the Swiss Army). The commander also has a new 360 ° panoramic optic with thermal sensor. The Swiss Army did not consider this upgrade, hence RUAG has proposed it to foreign customers. Given that there is no Swiss Tech Tree in War Thunder, I would propose the "RUAG Leopard 2A4 Upgrade" as a vehicle, premium or event for the German Ground Tech Tree.

Specifications:

Spoiler

Crew: 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver)

Dimensions:
Length Gun Forward: 9.67m
Length Hull: 7.72m
Width: 3.75m
Height: 2.48m (roof top)
Ground Clearance: 0.54m
Combat Weight: 60 tons

Mobility:
Engine: MTU Mb 873 ka 501, turbocharged 1500hp Diesel
Transmission: RENK HSWL 354, 4 speed forward/2 reverse
Top Road Speed: 68 km/h
Road Range: 550km
Fuel Capacity: 1160 litres
Vertical Obstacle: 1.1m
Water Capability: 1m (4m with Snorkel)
Trench Crossing: 3m
Gradient: 60%
Side Slope: 30%

Armament:
Main Gun: Rheinmetall L44 - 120mm, calibre Length 44 smoothbore - Elevation -9 +20
Secondary Weapons: x 1 coaxial 7.5mm MG, x 1 Remote Weapon Station 12.6mm MG
Ammunition Storage: x 42 120mm

Protection:
Armor Type: Steel/Tungsten/Modular/Composite/Cage

Photos:

Spoiler

Sources:

https://www.ruag.com/system/files/media_document/2017-02/RUAG_LEO2_Brochure_270516a_Screen_Original_12093.pdf

http://fighting-vehicles.com/ruag-leopard-solutions/

https://www.armyrecognition.com/iav_2013_news_coverage_report_pictures_video/ruag_introduces_a_new_leopard_2_a4_armor_upgrade_at_iav_2013_international_armoured_vehicles.html

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/ruag_leopard_upgrade.htm

Edited by mc205v
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.

1 hour ago, Dimitri_Rudov said:

Compared to the 2A4 ingame, the RUAG gives Thermal to comander, x 1 Remote Weapon Station 12.6mm MG and new looking armor? (maybe better?)
Same weight.....

You are right, it was my writing mistake, I corrected, the right weight is 60tons

• Upvote 1

On 08/11/2020 at 23:55, Milocat said:

Agreed, +1 if we get the Swiss tree.

Which Vehicles should be in a Swiss Tree? A Nation that was almost everytime Neutral? Leopards can go without Problem to the German Techtree and even this one here is not in use by the Swiss Army 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Ryan_King said:

Which Vehicles should be in a Swiss Tree?

I mean, you could just check out the proposed Swiss ground tech tree. That way you would know that there are 75 vehicles of which the majority are unique and not just copy pasta...

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2020 at 08:11, hom3er said:

I mean, you could just check out the proposed Swiss ground tech tree. That way you would know that there are 75 vehicles of which the majority are unique and not just copy pasta...

how many of the 75 Vehicles are German Origin, Tech or modifications?

and still its a Leo 2 Variant so as a German Event/Premium is more than a good choice.

• Confused 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 03/12/2020 at 12:29, Ryan_King said:

how many of the 75 Vehicles are German Origin, Tech or modifications?

Well for air there's more unique aircraft per tier than there are for other trees, and for ground forces, I don't recall seeing any german equipment.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

+1 for italian, french, british, swedish or even US Techtree but definitely not for stinky germany.

Edited by ponnes
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, ponnes said:

+1 for italian, french, british, swedish or even US Techtree but definitely not for stinky germany.

Me personally. I would personally want this vehicle to wait until we can get a proper Swiss Tree Line. Preferably IMO in the Italian Tree. Since Italy could really need some unique content. And i think both nations can be together ingame without being that controversial.

And i agree. The German Tree is getting too much content that does not need to be there.

Edited by eleks12
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

In my opinion, some variants of Leopard (2PL in a Polish tree/Sub-tree, CAN models in a UK-subtree, etc.) should go to other tech tree's but this one has a home in the German TT, maybe even a Swiss sub-tree one day. Hope to see it in-game! +1

• Confused 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...
On 06/03/2021 at 20:36, Yontzee said:

In my opinion, some variants of Leopard (2PL in a Polish tree/Sub-tree, CAN models in a UK-subtree, etc.) should go to other tech tree's but this one has a home in the German TT, maybe even a Swiss sub-tree one day. Hope to see it in-game! +1

I'd agree, but Switzerland, as I've said, has enough content on its own, and could even become a Swiss-Austrian tree, allowing for even more vehicles that are unique.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

the real name is the Mid life Upgrade or MLU.

Ruag been the name of the industrial who created this vehicles.

the Mid life Upgrade was commissioned by the Swiss army for the Panzer 87 and not the Leopard 2A4 but those vehicles are almost the same.

the first vehicles proposed by RUAG was the Panzer 87 Werterhaltung which was considered too expensive for the Swiss army who decided to go with a simplified version of the Panzer 87 Werterhaltung also know as the Pz 87 WE

the original version was offering a upgraded protection of the turret, but since Switzerland was not intending to go in war with anyone, even as peace keeper, or feeling any treat by the neighbouring country, they decided the original Pz 87 protection was enough.

Ruag decided to go on their way and development the Mid Life Upgrade which was also proposed and tested by Switzerland. but mainly an export venture as this upgrade was mainly making the Panzer 87 even more protected. this upgrade was compatible to the Leopard 2A4 which is used by many country. but those country also made their own upgrade on the Leopard 2A4 to improve the protection. so there is little chance that the Leopard 2A4 would ever receive the RUAG MLU

o4ZqhEi.jpg

Panzer 87 WE (original proposal)

VuYqd4Y.jpg

Panzer 87 (swiss adoption)

Xv0PN5c.jpg

Panzer 87 MLU (prototype)

0HuwNil.jpg

Panzer 87 MLU (final)

when we get closer, we can see that this armour is mainly spaced armour over the turret. probably 10 to 20mm thick.

LPypgsW.jpg

Edited by CaID
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest updating the name of this suggestion to "Leopard 2 MLU" since its the name given to it by the museum its currently located at: https://www.festungsmuseum.ch/sammlungen/kampfpanzer/

There they also specify that it is a 12.7mm RWS by Kongsberg, most probable the "Protector RS4". The coaxial machinegun would be the Maschinengewehr 87, the weight is 61 tons and there are 4 smokelaunchers on each side of the turret with an additional 8 mounted on the turret later on. As far as i'm aware, there is no 12,6mm calibre in existance.

Ronkainen on Twitter: "Swiss Leopard 2 MLU second prototype is on display  at the Swiss Military Museum in Full-Reuenthal. RUAG pursued the Leopard 2  Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU) in response to a request

Additional Smokelaunchers fitted to the vehicle at the Festungsmuseum Full, next to the prototype of the MLU

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, PenguinRed said:

I'd suggest updating the name of this suggestion to "Leopard 2 MLU" since its the name given to it by the museum its currently located at: https://www.festungsmuseum.ch/sammlungen/kampfpanzer/

There they also specify that it is a 12.7mm RWS by Kongsberg, most probable the "Protector RS4". The coaxial machinegun would be the Maschinengewehr 87, the weight is 61 tons and there are 4 smokelaunchers on each side of the turret with an additional 8 mounted on the turret later on. As far as i'm aware, there is no 12,6mm calibre in existance.

Ronkainen on Twitter: "Swiss Leopard 2 MLU second prototype is on display  at the Swiss Military Museum in Full-Reuenthal. RUAG pursued the Leopard 2  Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU) in response to a request

Additional Smokelaunchers fitted to the vehicle at the Festungsmuseum Full, next to the prototype of the MLU

Being a prototype perhaps they had the intention (for some unknown reason) to install machine guns of different calibers from the standard, they will have changed their mind later. As for the "name", Gaijin on the "Leopard 2 family" page also calls it RUAG Leopard 2 Upgrade.

https://wiki.warthunder.com/Leopard_2_(Family)