TYPE 16 MCV (C5)

Do you want another MCV to boost the Japanese 9.0 lineup ?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want another MCV to boost the Japanese 9.0 lineup ?

• Yes !
    • No...

FLoRrZaaQAElMY-.jpg

It's the Type 16 MCV which has been slightly improved based on the feedback of the units that operating the vehicle.

About the Type 16 MCV.

Spoiler

Type 16 Mobile Combat Vehicle (abbreviation: MCV (Maneuver Combat Vehicle)) is the first wheeled armored vehicle for full-scale fire support of the Ground Self-Defense Force.
The center of the development of this vehicle was the Land Equipment Research Institute (Sagamihara City, Kanagawa Prefecture) of the Technical Research and Development Institute (TRDI) of the Ministry of Defense.
At the time of development, this vehicle was simply called a "mobile combat vehicle."

The main contractor for the trial production and production of mobile combat vehicles is not Komatsu Ltd., which has been involved in the development of all wheeled armored vehicles of the Ground Self-Defense Force, but Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, which has specialized in tank development. ..
There are various speculations about the reason for this, but it is thought that Mitsubishi, which has a wealth of experience in tank development, was selected because this vehicle is a vehicle for anti-tank combat.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries was in charge of developing the body of the mobile combat vehicle, and the bulletproof steel plates that make up the body were developed by Mitsubishi Nagasaki Kiko.

Many other domestic manufacturers are involved in the development of mobile combat vehicles, with the main gun being Japan Steel Works, FCS (fire control system) being Mitsubishi Electric and NEC, ballistic computer being Yokogawa Electric, optical instruments for inspection and aiming are in charge by Nikon and Topcon, Fujifilm is in charge of image processing, and Tamagawa Seiki is in charge of the gun stabilizer.
The Mobile Combat Vehicle is a new genre of AFV developed based on the National Defense Program Guidelines formulated in 2004, keeping in mind the world situation after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 in the United States.

According to the policy evaluation report prepared in 2006, regarding the operation of this vehicle, "Equipped with armored units, it can be quickly deployed with excellent mobility such as air transport and road mobility in dealing with various situations, and at the same time. It is used to destroy enemy armored fighting vehicles, including light tanks, by direct shooting from the medium range. "
At this time, 2.6 billion yen was recorded as the initial required cost, and the development end time was planned to be 2013, and the total development cost was planned to be 17.1 billion yen.

In the following 2007 policy evaluation report, the mobile combat vehicle was deployed to the combat unit instead of the armored unit, the total development cost was revised to 17.3 billion yen, and the end time of the test was extended to 2015.
Full-scale development of this vehicle started in 2007, and initially it was basic development for each department, but from 2009, it shifted to system development and trial production of the turret part and body part has started.

The following year, in 2010, it is moved on to trial production, and during the same year, there was one turret part (for shooting test mounted on the gantry) and one body part (for vibration test without engine or transmission).
And in 2011, as a prototype (No. 2), the turret part (No. 2) with the FCS, aiming device, drive device, etc., and the body part (No. 2) with the engine, transmission, etc. were installed one by one and the body part is equipped with a prototype gun manufactured in the previous year, and its stability during shooting and running is tested.

In 2012, the turret system, body system, and test mount were rebuilt as a prototype (No. 3), and in 2013, four prototype cars were manufactured as a prototype (No. 4), the first of which was released to the press on October 9th.
From 2014, a practical test was conducted using four prototype vehicles, and since the test results were good, it was formalized as a "Type 16 mobile combat vehicle" in 2016, and it was decided to adopt it for the Ground Self-Defense Force. ..
The number of Type 16 mobile combat vehicles procured was 36 in 2016, 33 in 2017, and 18 in 2018.

The procurement price of this vehicle is about 720 million yen per vehicle. In comparison to the Italian B1 Centauro combat reconnaissance vehicle, the South African Rooikat combat reconnaissance vehicle, and the American striker MGS, which is armored vehicles for fire support of the same class. It is a little expensive compared to about 500 million yen.
The Type 16 maneuver combat vehicle will be preferentially deployed to the newly created ready-to-use mobile regiment, and then all tanks deployed in Honshu and Shikoku can be replaced with this vehicle. It is scheduled.

It is said that this modification is included by standard in the 2020 production serie.

Spoiler

Eu1B1JbU4AIPzZs?format=png&name=900x900

Table C5 shows the criteria for the combinations of expandable devices and special accessories (included air conditioner).

The AC was first seen installed on the prototype vehicle before it was finally added onto the late mass-production vehicle to improve the crew comfort.

Spoiler

Version 1.

This version saw only with the installation of the AC, everything else seems to remained the same.

Spoiler

EuwMjZIUcAAVPTZ?format=jpg&name=medium

c4683a54.jpg

85b55f59.jpg 74f90798.jpg 966dd428.jpg

Top view

Spoiler

FV3I86vUcAMNJ0F?format=jpg&name=medium

Version 2.

The second version saw more changes around the vehicle included:

1) Just like the first version, different turret basket with AC installed.

Spoiler

XutWWto.jpg

2) There is a few special variant equipped with a towing equipment. ONLY the recovery variant is equipped with this device !

Spoiler

BGw2pLU.jpg

FRexQFHaIAAohut?format=jpg&name=large FRexQkSagAAzr1V?format=jpg&name=large

zh6PARJ.png g3Xch9h.png

The winch motor is attached to the rear of the vehicle body.

A winch which was first tested on the MCV prototype No.4.

Spoiler

o0640048014422021437.jpg?caw=800 o0640048014422021430.jpg?caw=800 o0640048014422021422.jpg?caw=800 o0640048014422053291.jpg?caw=800 o0640054414422053478.jpg?caw=800

Hemp rope is used instead of wire rope only for demonstration. The rope is wrapped around the cover of the winch motor.

3) New GPS base. Shackles shape are changed. And luggage racks added above the turret.

Spoiler

Zl3z2Yx.jpg

4) Tires  light added below the vehicle on both side.

Spoiler

PdefM5F.jpg

5) Antenna has cover underneath.

Spoiler

FPECPDlVkAQDXVT?format=jpg&name=large

szEuTpb.jpg

6) Lastly the shape of the ladder has been changed.

Spoiler

6HReI4j.jpg

Link to the post which comparing the difference between the two versions: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfDTIzHvPL2/

Specifications:

Crews: 4 people. Driver, Commander, Gunner & Loader.

Mass: 26 Tons.

Engine: 570 HP/T at 2100 RPM. (21.9 HP/TONNE)

Maximum speed: 100 KM/ H forward & 36 KM/H in reverse.

Armament:

1x JSW L/52 105 mm

1x Type 74 TMG

1x M2 50. Cal

8x Smoke dischargers

Ammunition:

(Based on the already existing MCV in the game)

Type 93 APFSDS

M735 APFSDS

Type 91 HEAT-FS

Type 75 HESH

M416 Smoke

RoF: Stock 8.7 sec, Aced 6.7 sec.

Additional photos:

Spoiler

zfEAcHx.jpg FWOB-jxUAAAh87A?format=jpg&name=large FWOB-j5UcAAB5E8?format=jpg&name=large FWOB-k1UsAAywlS?format=jpg&name=large

FCRa1AeVcAUlNDq?format=jpg&name=4096x409 FLJjevIakAMgp_m?format=jpg&name=large

FWPljh1UYAAcfJg?format=jpg&name=large FWQFoR-UcAAXxy8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Newly built MCV of the lastest lot. (Version 2)

Spoiler

FLoRrZaaQAElMY-?format=jpg&name=large FLoRrZqaMAAA1gS?format=jpg&name=large FLoRrZvakAADglx?format=jpg&name=large

The 3rd Rapid Deployment Regiment which is recently equipped with Type 16 MCV in 2021 so this unit is equipped with the lastest Type 16 MCV C5 serie
The 3rd Rapid Deployment Regiment which is one of the recent units equipped with Type 16 MCV in 2021 so this unit is equipped with the lastest production Type 16 MCV!

Spoiler

FPECPDmVIAINQcj?format=jpg&name=large

FQ5t1iXVsAMmHRk?format=jpg&name=large

FDoSoQUakAAsoU8?format=jpg&name=large

FDoSoQWaMAI74NW?format=jpg&name=large

FLB2uKjUYAU67JT?format=jpg&name=large FGcToxaUYAAlCVx?format=jpg&name=large FDockBLaIAAKPBK?format=jpg&name=large

Despite the lack of different play-style to the current MCV i think it still will be a great addition to the tech tree especially Japan's tier 7 TD branch is quite lacking and since there is only one single Type 16,

the only 9.0 vehicle that is anti-tank capable (unless you have the premium Type 74G) i think another MCV will really help out in this area.

It is the same as Type 74F or Type 90B which has little difference to the base model but they exist to help out the line up so i think this time we should do the same for Japan's 9.0 BR.

Personally i think the MCV is some of the best vehicles in Japanese tech tree with its excellent optic with variable zoom, 3rd Gen thermal, commander's CITV etc, great mobility going forward and in reverse, enough protection to stop sub caliber muntions from the front and so on. So i'm really do look forward for another MCV, after all we have 4 Type 74s in the game.

Thanks for your support !

Sources:

Edited by I_NAMELESS_I
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Hronomant said:

It seems to me that it is worth adding snow chains as a module for Type 16 and Type 93 as an analogue of the existing Winterketten

image.png.6e9b9d4ef1d8a17973cd4a55a0a7a7

Reveal hidden contents

Steel chain can have its own suggestion since all wheeled cars like Type 87 or Type 16 can equip it.

16 hours ago, CubicSquare said:

I wonder if the added air-conditioning will decrease the reload speed by .1 seconds due to improved crew comfort:wink:. +1 to strengthen the 9.0.

Stryker AGS and M1A1 AIM already in the game have air conditioning  installed, this could be suggesting as a new mechanic :)

15 hours ago, I_NAMELESS_I said:

Stryker AGS and M1A1 AIM already in the game have air conditioning  installed, this could be suggesting as a new mechanic :)

Could always just use it as an excuse for lower reloads compared to the Type 16 we currently have, considering we have things like the XM1s with higher reload speed than the proper M1s for balance despite the fact that it's the same gun, same general interior layout for the loader, and the same loader standards.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, _tomoe_ said:

I want it just based on the look alone! Would obviously prefer some more variation to the base Type 16, but still a +1 from me.

Well, i did have plan on suggestion the fifth prototype which is the most unique variant of the MCV featured passenger compartment, RWS and really interesting turret.

And yes i do agree that there should be more than just one or even two MCV consider this is the vehicle that currently in the full progress of replacing the aging Type 74 and is the backbone of the Ground Self-Defense Force.

Personally i want at least one MCV at 8.7 (such as the prototype no. 3) and two more MCV at 9.0 (such as C5 or prototype no. 4 or 5).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Zev_Winters said:

How many Type 16s do you need exactly?

I'd rather see a Type 74G in the main tree instead (it being a premium doesn't preclude that possibility).

To be honest with you, i want all the MCV in the existence to be in the game, that is the exact number.

Anyway i just find it funny how you asked me that question as if we already have too many Type 16 when there is only one of this thing sitting alone at 9.0, while you want to see even more Type 74 when there are already 4 of them in the game....

I don't have problem with you wanting to see the Type 74G in the tech tree because so do i, after all i was the one who suggested it to begin with

But what exactly do you lose if we also get more MCVs aswell ? It is not like there are hundred of options you can choose to add to the Japanese top tiers or am i wrong ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have updated the thread !

Yesterday i was given with a rather useful link which is a instagram post comparing the conventional MCV to the lastest MCV and that is where i realized that i have missed a few changes done to the MCV so i have added additional changes and comparison between the new MCV and the early MCV (WT Type 16).

FUUkhezUEAApbkv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 4

I voted yes because "moar type 16" although I'm sceptical that it'll do anything other than just be another type 16. Now if only the turret off a type 87/89/90 could find its way onto an MCV, that'd be really interesting. But dreams are free I suppose. 

medal medal

On 29/06/2022 at 10:34, Nacho5944 said:

One of the boxes on the chart said something about additional armor. We got any information on that?

Additional armor is equipped on MCV by standard which is attached to the front and side of the hull and front and side of the turret.

In War thunder the additional armor which is attached to the hull is modeled as ''composite screen'' while for the turret it is missing modular armor especially on the side, but for the wedge armor although it's just 5 mm RHA and not special armor, the protection against CE and some sub munition is quite high (it was buffed some time ago).

Brand new MCV manufactured in 2022.

Spoiler

FWnx1PjUIAAmQ35.jpg FWnxz1DUEAAM-or.jpg FWojg80VEAACMNf.jpg FWojjGZVEAALlGa.jpg FWojh63UUAENx4T.jpg

Edit: There a walk around video of the new MCV looking at the winch.

Edited by I_NAMELESS_I
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found a modeler attempting to recreate the C5 variant, and it seems really accurately produced.

More tweets.

Spoiler