Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus

PzKpfW VIII Maus  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Maus be implemented?

• Yes it should be!
    • No way!
    • Yes but with a special tank to counter the Maus!

75 meters seems like quite a distance. It may have been a problem IRL, it's not a problem in War Thunder.

All things considered, within 75 meters was usually pretty close.  They were supposed to pull out of their dive at approx 1,000 feet above the expected impact point to avoid their own shrapnel (750 feet for 500lb), 

Of course, I doubt this is modeled either. (you're probably "safe" dropping them as low as 300 feet....)

Myth !

My book isn't -perfect-, but with the rear undercarriage of  only 17mm, and vents on the rear top of the tank.... 

Wouldn't be too hard to give a Panther a really hard day. Perhaps not a tiger; i could have misread.. (3 hours of jetlag, ~5 hours of sleep the night prior to my 10 hour flight.)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The problem with the Maus is that every nation will need a counter:

The us has the T28 105mm motor carriage (t95 in WOT).  Now this tank is so slow and useless it will do even less than the maus would.  Also neither tank would be able to penetrate the other....

The Soviets have the ISU-152-2 armed with the high velocity 152mm anti tank gun.  Ironically this tank would be waaaaayyy better than the maus or T-28 since it would have had maneuverability (except in cities) and also had the potential for sniping other tanks at extreme range.  The battle effectiveness of this tank would simply be way better than the Maus or T-28.

The fact remains that the Maus would not have been combat effective except for defensive operations. It is a very easy target to hit with artillery, or to drop a bomb on.  The german war ministry agreed with this, but Hitler insisted on it to be produced anyway.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

All things considered, within 75 meters was usually pretty close.  They were supposed to pull out of their dive at approx 1,000 feet above the expected impact point to avoid their own shrapnel (750 feet for 500lb), 

Of course, I doubt this is modeled either. (you're probably "safe" dropping them as low as 300 feet....)

Well, 75m is close enough to damage a tank and maybe injure the crew, but I don't see how a 500lb bomb would destroy a tank from that distance.

Edit: Oh, also, shrapnel seems to be modelled in a weird way, since armor can't be damaged from moderately near misses at all but planes just go boom when you're 100m above the ground when your bomb detonates. 

My book isn't -perfect-, but with the rear undercarriage of  only 17mm, and vents on the rear top of the tank.... 

Wouldn't be too hard to give a Panther a really hard day. Perhaps not a tiger; i could have misread.. (3 hours of jetlag, ~5 hours of sleep the night prior to my 10 hour flight.)

Myth indeed. The problem isn't that the .50 wouldn't have the power to penetrate the bottom of, well, pretty much any WW2 tank, but ricocheting it there properly is pretty much impossible. Most of the time tanks weren't driving on modern streets, which was pretty much the only thing that would allow a ricochet, and even then, you'd have to go very low for the bullet to end up ricocheting, and then it'd probably hit the tank bottom at an angle at which it'd just ricochet again. Great tactic for making tankers panic, but you're not gonna destroy anything like that. Vents on the top though, these were good targets and it should at least have been possible to knock out the engine or set it on fire.

Might not be 100% accurate what I said there, been a while since I looked that all up, but it's a myth, albeit one that's managing to stay around very well.

Edited by Boceto
medal medal

• 5 months later...