Panzer IV 88mm Flak 18/36

154 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this in-game?

• Yes
    • No

Hello there! I had a vehicle suggestion which I wanted to share. I'd like to suggest the Panzer IV 88mm Flak 18/36. This was an 88mm gun on a panzer IV chassis--pretty simple.

"Several Panzer IV chassis were modified by partial removal of the superstructure. These tanks could be damaged gear in combat or too old to be upgraded. On some machines, even the cockpit remained in the air. As amended, these frames were given as the main armament cannon 88mm Flak 36. It appears from the study that these markings tanks served in heavy Flak battery belonging to a battalion of Panzer flak."

I think this would be an awesome vehicle to put in WT. It's very interesting and unique. It's a lot like the ZiS-30--powerful but still vulnerable.

In a nutshell it's just an 88mm on a modified Panzer IV chassis.

Edit: New image. tXJLI.jpg

More info on post #8

[spoiler]002.JPG004.JPG018.JPG[/spoiler]

These vehicles also had some side armor panels. [spoiler]m33-146.jpg88f37.jpgnborgw.jpgtumblr_mugyszTsNf1sdd1y5o1_500.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TEENUzL.png

[/spoiler]

I think the best configuration would be with no side panels (or all of them down) and only the gun shield remaining.

[spoiler]photo_8_1318238942.JPG

oDp6Zpk.jpgeVikQJ4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9HLzOeT.jpg

[/spoiler]

Thanks for your time!

Sources:

http://www.materielsterrestres39-45.fr/fr/index.php/chars-de-l-axe-allemagne/227-les-bricolages/600-flak-88-mm-sur-chassis-de-panzer-iv

http://henk.fox3000.com/pz4.htm

Edited by NutellaArmor
  • Upvote 32

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.  :salute:

I'd personally love to see a ZiS-30 type of vehicle for the German tree too,they might not be the best tanks around but they are certainly fun to play with. I'd also suggest you add a bit of background information if you can on this vehicle. Information like numbers produced,development period etc. Just some historical background.  ;)s

• Upvote 3

There was a panther chassis set up like this too.

Edit:
Cannot find 88mm armed one. Could have sworn I had the pic like a week ago...
But I did find one with a 37mm Flak 43. No intention to derail or anything. Just food for thought and discussion.
[spoiler]http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1312859043/Help,+more+info+on+this+Panther+D+Flak[/spoiler]

I would love to see some AAA type SPAAGs. +1 Edited by Brogan1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for discussion.  :salute:

I'd personally love to see a ZiS-30 type of vehicle for the German tree too,they might not be the best tanks around but they are certainly fun to play with. I'd also suggest you add a bit of background information if you can on this vehicle. Information like numbers produced,development period etc. Just some historical background.  ;)s

Alrighty, I see if I can find some more info in a bit.

It Had 3 Prototypes The Tank you are looking for is called the panzerstifle ivc. the tank without side plate never existed 

Thanks for that name, really helped in my search.

There was a panther chassis set up like this too.

Edit:
Cannot find 88mm armed one. Could have sworn I had the pic like a week ago...
But I did find one with a 37mm Flak 43. No intention to derail or anything. Just food for thought and discussion.
[spoiler]http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1312859043/Help,+more+info+on+this+Panther+D+Flak[/spoiler]

I would love to see some AAA type SPAAGs. +1

Huehuehue that's interesting. There was also a Panzer IV with a 50mm gun. I want all these in-game!!!! [spoiler]ADgiDcc.jpg[/spoiler]

whats the reload speed of those things, since you have like endless free space around you to move

Well, from the the World of Tanks website, the reload rate is 15 round per minute (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:Pz_Sfl_IVc) Don't know how accurate this is though considering how arcade-y  WoT is.

Here's what I found:

tXJLI.jpg

From what I understand this vehicle had a special modified Panzer IV chassis (sonderfahrgestell--special chassis).

It was part of the Grille series. http://www.achtungpanzer.com/grille-series-cricket-series.htm

[spoiler]cb35174b%20%281%29.jpgcb35174b%20%282%29.jpg[/spoiler]

"Reference material on the Versuchsflakwagen Sonderfahrgestell is not exactly in abundance. However, the varying reference sources that I came across state that either 2 or 3 of these vehicles were completed and tested by the Germans during the war. The vehicle utilised a heavily modified Panzer IV chassis, and suspension components of the Sd.Kfz.9 ‘FAMO’. The Versuchsflakwagen Sonderfahrgestell was originally conceived to carry the 8.8cm FLAK 37 anti-aircraft gun, but during design the armament was changed to the 8.8cm FLAK 41 (as per the configuration of the Bronco kit).

Period photos prove that at least one version of Versuchsflakwagen 8.8cm FLAK 41 auf Sonderfahrgestell was completed, however current reference suggests that this particular vehicle did not see combat, although further photographic evidence indicates that another Versuchsflakwagen Sonderfahrgestell was completed. This second version was fitted with an 8.8cm FLAK 37 and sent to the front lines in Italy, serving with the 26th Panzer Division." - http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/german/bronco35062reviewad_1.html

FlaK 18, FlaK 37, FlaK 41, FlaK FlaK FlaK. Just put an 88 on it and we'll be set.

Edited by NutellaArmor
  • Upvote 1

wait so would this fall under the classification of SPAA or can they be used in an anti tank role?

also will they be a glass cannon being able to be killed by machine gun fire due to being an open top vehicle?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

wait so would this fall under the classification of SPAA or can they be used in an anti tank role?

also will they be a glass cannon being able to be killed by machine gun fire due to being an open top vehicle?

How about....BOTH. I bet it has enough elevation to hit planes as well. 

I guess so, it is a lot like the ZiS-30. The gun shield will protect somewhat against bullets but a HE round will obliterate everything.

Edited by NutellaArmor

Here some Pic`s

[spoiler]9usKgqO.jpg
REACAZB.jpg
3btVWcm.jpg
fv63xQO.jpg
oea3xql.jpg[/spoiler]

As far as i know the Photographs were taken at Pilsen Airfield. Hope i coud help a bit.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

I want it! its not fair that russians has a dual 57mm! xD Besides. the 88mm Anti Air, turned into the 88mm on the tiger tanks :)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Here some Pic`s

[spoiler]9usKgqO.jpg
REACAZB.jpg
3btVWcm.jpg
fv63xQO.jpg
oea3xql.jpg[/spoiler]

As far as i know the Photographs were taken at Pilsen Airfield. Hope i coud help a bit.

Thanks! Appreciate the support!

That thing looks so stupid but still so dangerous

You are right!

Hahahaha, oh yeah. Such a powerful gun yet still so vulnerable.

there is a thread in further discussion for waffentrager type machines, some of the prototypes they bring up there are imo much more suitable than this.

large slow-firing flak guns of this type are only effective against plane formations when deployed in large groups, it would be difficult, perhaps even frustrating for a player to try to use it in spaa role, and it does not bring any new features that the waffentragers, which were intended for direct-fire ambush combat, do not have

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/190100-waffentr%C3%A4ger-series/

there is a thread in further discussion for waffentrager type machines, some of the prototypes they bring up there are imo much more suitable than this.

large slow-firing flak guns of this type are only effective against plane formations when deployed in large groups, it would be difficult, perhaps even frustrating for a player to try to use it in spaa role, and it does not bring any new features that the waffentragers, which were intended for direct-fire ambush combat, do not have

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/190100-waffentr%C3%A4ger-series/

Put both in. More vehicles the better. There already 5+ T-34 variants, Shermans, Panthers, and others. They have almost no difference yet there they are. 

It'll be dual-purpose. You're going to need skill but a single hit can take any plane down. Then just lower the gun and nail armored vehicles.

Edited by NutellaArmor

Ah yes, the mighty Flak Bus/Waffel Toaster.  :Ds

I'll support it as long as it's better than in the other game (read: we can lower the sides down to take advantage of the full 360 degree traverse).  I hated the damn thing in that game...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Ah yes, the mighty Flak Bus/Waffel Toaster.  :Ds

I'll support it as long as it's better than in the other game (read: we can lower the sides down to take advantage of the full 360 degree traverse).  I hated the damn thing in that game...

Waffel Toaster?!? You got to be kidding me--HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. :lol:

Are you talking about WoT?

Waffel Toaster?!? You got to be kidding me--HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. :lol:

Are you talking about WoT?

Yep.  This thing has a ton of nicknames over there, one of them being Waffle Toaster (a pun on Waffentraeger, and its being shaped like a toaster with the sides up like it is in WoT, where it's a tank destroyer).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yep.  This thing has a ton of nicknames over there, one of them being Waffle Toaster (a pun on Waffentraeger, and its being shaped like a toaster with the sides up like it is in WoT, where it's a tank destroyer).

I remember driving that thing on the test server back in the day xD it ran around like a damn ELC AMX :3

medal medal medal medal medal

Haha nice! It does look like a toaster.