Countermeasures against forbidden modifications.

Scarper

Best answer

There is no need to record and post replays with gameplay of players you suspect for using 3rd party apps. We will appreciate if you report them via server replay functionality on our main website. 

For more information, please check this article.

• Senior Technical Moderator
2 hours ago, *Tadz_ said:

Awesome, ran into a blatant cheater last week and I think half the people in our team reported him. (when someone can kill myself and two others by literally shooting through a entire forest, you know what's up).

Quite sad so many people are cheating though, espcially with a game that's not quite as mainstream population wise and has modes where using your brain and finding people is half the fun.

I mean, all they're proving is what complete tossers they are.

Well over 400 aren't cheating any more so it's not so many any more. :) 

And never trust anyone else to file the report.  Even if they do, we want everyone to report them.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CrossEyedN00b said:

Is there a way to tell if a player reported by me has been punished or was I wrong?

You can manually check their profile on War Thunder's official page to see if they have the special gulag stamp of approval over their icon.

I've noticed that even with clear cases of illegal modifications, the turnaround to getting banned seems to usually be about 2-3 weeks as they have to individually vet each case to make sure it's obvious.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

If it's going so well, then please bring back old visibilty system. You have changed it because of cheaters, now there is no need for that I suppose? These disappearing tanks are just not fun, and doesn't suit War Thunder...

• Upvote 12
medal medal medal medal medal

Very nice to hear such news, even if i am a AB player less impacted than those in other modes i suppose.

Speaking about this can you tell the proportion of banned players by used game modes ? For the banned ones playing exclusively a game mode, if possible of course.

I rarely see such stuff in AB beside once a very suspicious kill across the map while leaving my spawn on Advance to the Rhine urban map where it was impossible to see me and yet he managed to kill me passing his shot across the map before passing through a building and killing me, there was no way for him to have seen me even once from where he was... I'm curious about the proportion of cheaters vs game modes.

Keep it up, cheaters are ruining the fun for others, they are a plague that needs to be eradicated of online gaming, glad to see Gaijin taking serious measures for this.

medal medal medal medal

I barely report players for cheating, luckily I don't encounter them much, but good job on banning those that ruin the fun for others and thanks to all the fair players that kept their eyes open and reported them! :good::salute:

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

438 - nice, very nice . what if they were part of a clan do you investigate them too, because you should. gaijin you should make a video showing how this works so player get a better idea of what cheating in your game looks like from a cheater and player perspective.

side note: please add m6a2e1 to game please.

Pacifica (Posted )

Well... its never a good idea to show how things work, because that will then give the cheaters/hackers ideas or ways to get around things

Pacifica (Posted )

PS:- and yes members of (if not the entire Clan) Clans have been banned and or punished in some way for cheating in the past
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Great Work Team It Is Always A Joy To Hear Positive news on the war against hackers. Machine learning sounds like a cunning way to filter though all of the players who cheat! Hope to hear more news in future!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sometimes I sneak around the guy, staying behind solid cover, and by his behavior I can tell he has no idea that I'm here, he's not moving, not pointing at me, nothing. Fighting other vehicles like I'm not here. So I try to put a shot at him, and right after I move from my spot, he's turning his tank/turret around. Like he was alarmed or something. In most of the cases his tank is dead anyways, but should I report that? I'm rather experienced player, and I can tell the difference between player with good awareness, and player that had literally no chance of seeing me. If I report this guy would You be able to check if he was using some sort of auto-aim post factum?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Godman_82 said:

Sometimes I sneak around the guy, staying behind solid cover, and by his behavior I can tell he has no idea that I'm here, he's not moving, not pointing at me, nothing. Fighting other vehicles like I'm not here. So I try to put a shot at him, and right after I move from my spot, he's turning his tank/turret around. Like he was alarmed or something. In most of the cases his tank is dead anyways, but should I report that? I'm rather experienced player, and I can tell the difference between player with good awareness, and player that had literally no chance of seeing me. If I report this guy would You be able to check if he was using some sort of auto-aim post factum?

In general I would say report it.  First watch the replay though to get a sense of his playstyle as a whole.  He may have seen something you missed.  Also the ability to look around corners can get people as well.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Good job!!!!

But . . .

Don't ban them straight away, for about a week they should spawn in a glowing vehicle that should be visible across the map and shoot rubber chickens that do no damage, and go into uncontrollable spins and bounce infinitely off the terrain like a rubber ball when they get shot with no indication that they are marked and no one should tell them what is going on.

The week of shame.

Then they should get banned

Edited by Twisted
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Lord_Tao said:

In general I would say report it.  First watch the replay though to get a sense of his playstyle as a whole.  He may have seen something you missed.  Also the ability to look around corners can get people as well.

I'm taking everything under consideration, and I'm talking about situations like: I'm near Your spawn, You are on the center of the map, aiming at the position You expecting my team should be. You obviously have no idea I'm here, otherwise You would not stay there and wait for opponents. I'm moving from behind my cover just as much as I need, and then You turn around and move You tank.

Sometimes I'm watching server replays, but not always, sometimes I'm just curious "was it aimbot", but after a battle I'm forgetting it. Maybe I shouldn't. I'll try to pay more attention and get back to those situations after a battle. You know, it's most irritating when You lose because of suspicious behavior. If You win (I mean kill the tank), it's easy to go "meh, he lost anyway".

34 minutes ago, Godman_82 said:

I'm taking everything under consideration, and I'm talking about situations like: I'm near Your spawn, You are on the center of the map, aiming at the position You expecting my team should be. You obviously have no idea I'm here, otherwise You would not stay there and wait for opponents. I'm moving from behind my cover just as much as I need, and then You turn around and move You tank.

Sometimes I'm watching server replays, but not always, sometimes I'm just curious "was it aimbot", but after a battle I'm forgetting it. Maybe I shouldn't. I'll try to pay more attention and get back to those situations after a battle. You know, it's most irritating when You lose because of suspicious behavior. If You win (I mean kill the tank), it's easy to go "meh, he lost anyway".

I'd say go check on the server replay if you are suspicous nevertheless. When I'm waiting somewhere with my gun aimed at the side where the enemy should come from I check my surroundings every 5-7 seconds with 360 camera view (and abusing 3rd person view too sometimes). If someone comes up behind me I try to react as fast as possible. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that, so I won't call it cheating necessarily.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Godman_82 said:

Last sunday I was accused of cheating as well. 

I was on Advance to the Rhine and had my Wirbelwind in great cover with an excellent view of the sky and my surroundings. I saw the dust and smoke of muzzle fire and not long after that a Sherman passed directly in front of me. I got him right in the flank and made short work of him. 

Not long after that a plane came in my direction and circled over my location as if he was looking for something, I took my time to aim and a short burst made an end to the pilots ambitions as wel, it was the same guy, not a while later I heard, and I have an excellent home cinema, 7.1 and professionally calibrated as well, so I heard a vehicle sneaking around the stacks of rubble surrounding my position, I quickly changed ammo and turned my turret towards the sound, and there he (same guy) came around the corner to be greeted by four blazing barrels in his light tank. 

After that he came on the chat accusing me of using a cheat, remember I'm on PS4, or I was hacking, whatever. Had a great laugh. 

But I heard his vehicle, so I knew which side to turn to before he was out of cover. That could have happened in your case as well. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

18 hours ago, Iron_physik said:

right now they are 60000 players online.  440 is just ~0.7% of that.

and 0.7% is not much at all.

Well, barring statistics...GJ just got rid of 440 cheaters plain and simple...can't we just thank them for doing it, and always trying to improve...440 off the grid that deserve what they got...I say that's plenty...great job Gaijin.

• Upvote 2

hough I wholeheartedly agree those hacking scumbags have to be banned without any mercy I'm afraid such automated system simply won't work reliable enough to allow it to punish players on its own.Take a look at this situation - dude is not hacking,but from his victim's perspective it could be found as wallhack (while it isn't):

<search MagzTV's video "Not a Wallhack",not linking it here because mods found it as inappropriate>

Is your algorithm smart enough to recognize that situation?I'm afraid it isn't,but maybe I'm wrong - Gaijin programmers have proven they can create amazing 3D engine which works on various platforms,so maybe they can also do amazing hack detection soft.If they indeed can then it'll be just damn awesome,as War Thunder is not far from being best online game about tanks and airplanes.

Anyway,for more safety and to avoid innocent casualties I recommend your algorithm would only make automatic report of a player's suspicious behavior,and it will be a Game Master's job to check the situation on server replay and judge it it's hack or not.

Edited by MasterBLB

Hello all,

Personally, I have always been an advocate for community modding as long as the developers or game title owner agrees and there are rules to be guided by or else it just becomes rigid for a growing community or fan base that desires to have fun.

However, as a business and also in fairness to other paying customers a mod that is specifically created or developed to gain on points systems or cheats to gain prizes etc would be one of the Rule Breaking Guidelines I would implement to stop such activity. 

By not respecting a community following fan base and the IP/EULA of the game title and "Proper Modding Rules" or the fact that we are just enjoying a fair game like CHESS as an example and we all want "Fair Play" should be a BAN in this case.

There are many games that you can mod and share your mods legally following proper rules and adhering to IP/EULA's......

I.e.

ED-DCS

FSX

XPlane

Prepar3D.......etc

Are but only a few examples that people contribute and share good work and also help build a better community following as long as all parties are in agreement and there is some measures of controlling and Modding Rules and Guidelines to follow for any willing community member.

So my hope is the War Thunder Legal and Developers would consider and never shut the door completely and consider how to help this area that builds a community.

Some ideas of my own would be to have a moderated section and developer tools where people can enjoy their projects as Rules and Guidelines are followed.

I'm unsure what mods exist out there now since I really started to venture in Forum posting allot more recently out of interest, share and have fun.

Although to start on a clean slate as per say and allow something special for community involvement is always a good thing like ............ Skins, Aircraft,  Buildings, Maps, Tanks even programs that assist in developing tools and make modding even easier.

There is another game I enjoy its a "AAA" tilte they shut the door on modding and people have left and its become boring and void of any fun or community. That is not good when you consider a long community following since the beginning supporting the game in many ways that has made complaints and no longer follow the game. Yeah, sure new comers come along, but the fact that you lose the original fan base after 20 years in development is not fair to a loyal group who have purchased the game and add-ons and assisted in developing the game through Forum input and the use of social media to promote the game further.

There is always a way to work around the problems with solutions and community input, and not just close the door on the situation because it's too much effort or attention.

This would really be up to War Thunder people but there not many combat games around as big as War Thunder attracting all age groups.

Well I felt it should be said in hope of a better community and game development,

Cheers

Edited by SkyKnight2014
Grammar Spelling ........ Sleeeepyyy ....... tired
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Godman_82 said:

The point we are trying to make now is that the latest , can I say , organic system in place, should alleviate the need to report as it will auto detect them more efficiently than the previous checker, however, reports are always good and can lead to a feel good factor for you when reporting them and seeing a ban.

2 hours ago, SkyKnight2014 said:

Hello all,

Personally, I have always been an advocate for community modding as long as the developers or game title owner agrees and there are rules to be guided by or else it just becomes rigid for a growing community or fan base that desires to have fun.

Community modding has and is high on the development list of priorities - but yes it does bring some negative consequences. We will continue to do what we can for you guys as we really enjoy player content and participation. It is worth noting however, that games that do not involve competitive play (FSX, X-Plane, etc) do not require the same governing of add-ons created by the community, these are simply games that you gain little by cheating (if anything), so I hope you understand what I mean.

3 hours ago, MasterBLB said:

Though I wholeheartedly agree those hacking scumbags have to be banned without any mercy I'm afraid such automated system simply won't work reliable enough to allow it to punish players on its own.Take a look at this situation:

Deleted video

Is your algorithm smart enough to recognize that situation?I'm afraid it isn't,but maybe I'm wrong - Gaijin programmers have proven they can create amazing 3D engine which works on various platforms,so maybe they can also do amazing hack detection soft.If they indeed can then it'll be just damn awesome,as War Thunder is not far from being best online game about tanks and airplanes.

Anyway,for more safety and to avoid innocent casualties I recommend your algorithm would only make automatic report of a player's suspicious behavior,and it will be a Game Master's job to check the situation on server replay and judge it it's hack or not.

There is still a process, that has also proved worthy of the previous auto/manual investigation via replay reports. This isnt going away and allows us to continue to minimise any false positives. Its only drawback is time. Removed the attached vid as it still contravenes what we believe.

• Upvote 5

• Senior Technical Moderator

@Scarper

Will there be any tweaking to the "Potentially visible set" algorithms? Currently playing on big maps is nearly impossible because of tanks frequently disappearing and reappearing again. Now that there are better systems in place, can't Gaijin loosen the algorithm a bit as to how it was pre-1.65?

2 minutes ago, LordMustang said:

@Scarper

Will there be any tweaking to the "Potentially visible set" algorithms? Currently playing on big maps is nearly impossible because of tanks frequently disappearing and reappearing again. Now that there are better systems in place, can't Gaijin loosen the algorithm a bit as to how it was pre-1.65?

I believe Anton himself has acknowledged that - though unconnected with the mechanism for cheat detection, these bugs are to be given some priority as obviously the perception is incorrectly assumed to be in relation to the cheat system.

• Upvote 8