Junkers Ju-89 V3 heavy bomber

Junkers Ju-89 V3  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see this aircraft in the game?

• Yes, I would like to see it in the regular tech tree
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle
    • No, I would not like to see this vehicle

Junkers Ju-89: A New Heavy Bomber for Germany

air_ju89_4.jpg

History:

The Ju-89 was one of the two entries for the Ural bomber program, which was to produce a heavy bomber capable of reaching Soviet factories located beyond the Ural mountain range. Another aircraft was built and tested as well- the Dornier Do-19. Two prototypes of the Ju-89 were built and tested before the program came to an end after Generalleutnant Walther Wever, who was the main pronent of the Ural bomber, died in a plane crash, and with other strategists pushing for aircraft like the Ju-87 and Ju-88, the Ural bomber never was produced en masse.

The Aircraft in War Thunder:

This plane would be a Rank I bomber at BR 2.0, analogous to the French NC.223.3. It would be placed after the Ju-88 tab. RP cost, lions cost, and BR (if they choose) would be decided by Gaijin.

The Ju-89 V3 variant would be the version in the game. This was the version with armament. While the V3 was technically never built, in a similar circumstance to the BV-238, the armed version would be added due to the unarmed prototype at least existing.

Specifications:

Spoiler

Crew: 5

Length: 26.49 meters

Wingspan: 35.25 meters

Height: 7.60 meters

Wing area: 184 meters squared

Empty weight: 20,800 kilograms

Maximum takeoff weight: 27,800 kilograms

Powerplant: 4 x Daimler-Benz DB 600A, each with 560 kilowatts each

Maximum speed: 386 kmh

Range: 2,980 kmh

Service ceiling: 7,000 meters

Armament:

1 x 20mm MG FF cannons in turrets, one dorsal turret, one ventral turret

1 x MG15 machine gun in turrets, one in front, one in rear

1,600 kg bombload

Pictures:

NOTE: Most of the images are of the unarmed V1 and V2 prototypes, however the look is basically the same as the V3 would have been

WARNING: Some images contain swastika

Spoiler

Bundesarchiv Bild 141-2409, Flugzeug Junkers Ju 89.jpg

983bd7633b9067441b215b26b2e546f9.jpg

Image result for ju-89

Image result for ju-89

Sources-

1. Gunston, Bill & Wood, Tony- Hitler's Luftwaffe, 1977, Salamander Books Ltd., London

2. https://ww2db.com/aircraft_spec.php?aircraft_model_id=291

3. Griehl, Manfred & Dressel, Joachim- German Heavy Bombers: Do-19 - Fw-200 - He-177 - He-274 - Ju-89 - Ju-290 - Me-264 and Others, 1994, Schiffer Publishing, Atglen Pennsylvania

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this aircraft would be a great addition to the German tech tree, especially as a counterpart to the new low tier NC.223.3 bomber with its 20mm cannons. Please give this suggest support!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 9:25 PM, TT33a said:

Although 1,600 kg was heavy when this craft first flew, how is this better or heavier than the newer Ju 88 A-1's 2,500 kg?

It isn't. A vehicle doesn't need to be efficient to be added though, Ju-88 A-1 is at 2.0, this will be around that BR. The closest comparison is the B-17G and B-24 being equal, and yet, rather than having one or the other, we have both.

• 1 year later...

I think there's another suggestion or two floating around for this plane?  Some merging might be in order.  

That said, I really want this aircraft.  +1.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would personally love to see a more organized german tree, with a heavy bomber line added next to the medium and light bomber line. This would fit perfectly in it.

+1 btw

Edited by Solarmod
forgot to +1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 20/09/2019 at 22:38, Chomusuke1 said:

Its not heavy though. The He 111 H-3 carries more than it

Dang, you're right. I haven't flown the H-3 in a while :facepalm:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...

I don't know about this one.  It doesn't really offer any capabilities that the German tree doesn't already have, and a 1600 kg payload isn't really an improvement over the He 111 and Ju 88 in that regard (this, of course, being that the Ju 89 and Do 19, as part of the Ural Bomber program, were designed with range in mind above all else).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love this aircraft, and for sure it should be added. Sure it doesn't have the biggest payload but that's not what its about - it's about maintaining these historical aircraft, and this is certainly one that should be in game. 

Edited by Alexandros11
medal

-1...as it is a Versuchs (prototype) aircraft also, like I said, the He 111 H-3 carries more payload...

Edited by Chomusuke1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 04/08/2022 at 02:15, Tetravault said:

The Me. 264 was fun, why not this?

Because

1.) the Me 264 remains incorrect to this day

2.) rather than this non-heavy Versuchs (prototype), we should be getting actual standard late war bombers that are still inexplicably missing from this game such as the Fw 200 C-4 or rather C-8, Ju 290 A, He 111 H-20Ju 88 S-3, He 277, Ju 388 K, Ju 390, etc

Edited by Chomusuke1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

• Upvote 1