FT-17 Renault

eleks12

Do you want the FT-17 ingame?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the FT-17 ingame?

• Yes
    • No ( Why? )

Hi guys.

Today im gonna sugguest what may be the most influential tank in the world... The original Renault FT-17/FT-Char :)

FT_17_Tank_b01_0000.thumb.jpg.d6ea681c63

History

Allthough the original name for the FT-17 during WW1 was actullt FT-Char. the FT-17 is believed to be the starting point for many nations around the world for a modern indigenous tank development line. Even for nations like Russia and the US which had allready made other tank project before acquiring FT-17. tanks that followed in Russia in the footsteps of the FT-17 was the T-18.

The FT-Char Program started when Luis Renault wanted to make a much more ideal and cheaper tank than the scneider and the Saint Chammond.

The first Prototype got approved in 1916 and was ready for acceptence in May 1917.

The FT-17 was produced in not just France but also Quickly in the US under licience since the Americans was in need for a production tank when entering the war and it was given the code name M1917 and came in many diffirent variants like its French counterpart.

The FT-17 first saw combat in May 1918 during a battle at The Forest de Retz when the tanks was set the task of destroying machine gun nest. The engagement was considered a succes due to the tanks 360 degree rotating turret when facing the German soldiers on varios sides off the tank and. the tank during the battle came in many numbers catching the Germans of guard.

The tank was 1 of the earliest mass exported tanks in the world. It was given to nations like The US, Russia, Italy, Japan, Sweden and many others.

Images

Spoiler

adam-magdzinski-r93.thumb.jpg.2e8bb2e92bFT_17.jpg.0533378a69c2b16c2acb8ca6a3c39dRenault_ft_17_by_ogurki-d48t7zn.thumb.jpFT17_1.jpg.e80060bc971049e69859f94a76a2dft-17-large-56a61bb75f9b58b7d0dff415.gif

Tank overview and specification

The Tank had a crew of 2 Driver and Gunner.

The engine was the renault 4 cyl petrol, 39 hp

The tanks speed was 7.5 km/h.

The tanks weight was 7.4 tons.

The tanks armor in the front was 22 mm of armor

The gun was the puteaux sa 18 37 mm 

Gun pen ingame including the Mle1937

Spoiler

Ikke-navkkkkkkkkngivet.thumb.jpg.48d691eIkke-navytyttyytytytytytyngivet.thumb.jp

In War Thunder

In War Thunder. The Renault family of tanks would need a overhaul of Rank 1 in order to be fun to play. So i have made some Concept trees people can take a look at in the spoiler down below! :)

Spoiler

French main tree

1506214388_France2.thumb.jpg.a85cd1c700d

US Tree

1865650516_PhotoshopUSA2.thumb.jpg.1abc4

Russian tree

1328066363_Russia2.thumb.jpg.56d086d336c

Italian tree

484521921_Italy2.thumb.jpg.50ac175dae10f

German tree

1798669853_German2.thumb.jpg.37f994a53ce

Japanese tree

2012221959_Japan2.thumb.jpg.d68d8f6c7d0a

Sources

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/fr/renault_ft.php

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/US/M1917-light-tank/

https://www.tankmuseum.org/home

https://www.museedesblindes.fr/en/

Edited by eleks12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

Voted no sadly this tank has no place in warthunder as Tier one is already full of "too modern" vehicules, the FT 17 will be even worse than the worse tier 1 we have, which speak about itself, a nightmare, you move at 7km/H at best, got no armor, a terrible gun with a reload rate butchered by gaijin.

To me it will be a loss of dev time while they can invest it toward more important and needed vehicules for the French tree.

Maybe if one day they go for WW1 tank (which is don't want because boring) but they will need new small maps and such so no, pure loss of time.

This little tank was glorious but in warthunder it will just be pointless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal

20 minutes ago, unwinder66 said:

Voted no sadly this tank has no place in warthunder as Tier one is already full of "too modern" vehicules, the FT 17 will be even worse than the worse tier 1 we have, which speak about itself, a nightmare, you move at 7km/H at best, got no armor, a terrible gun with a reload rate butchered by gaijin.

To me it will be a loss of dev time while they can invest it toward more important and needed vehicules for the French tree.

Maybe if one day they go for WW1 tank (which is don't want because boring) but they will need new small maps and such so no, pure loss of time.

This is why eleks proposed BR overhaul so you don't have to fight agains't current br1.

IMO we can even increase the br gap because they are so slow.

• Upvote 3
medal

+1

I made my report on the Brandt APDS with the possibility open that this tank and many others like it could make an active appearance. The French used the FT-17 during the May invasion in combat units, it is historically significant and should be represented in some form. If a tier 0 option is created in the near future then the FT-17 will have an environment that suits its performance. In the current game meta I admit it won't be adequate enough but I say wait a little longer and give it a chance down the road. 

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

8 hours ago, unwinder66 said:

Honestly, I think we could pull it off in a smaller map, or else an event, or a different gamemode.

I really like the new tier idea, so as always +1 from me!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

The FT-17 "Mosquito" tank is chocked full of history and did see some action during WW2 so including it in War Thunder would be a treat. If I learned anything from my time on the game, don't underestimate the enemy, no matter what. +1 for this tank, no question.

• Upvote 2

Frankly, I hate to say no to a French tank, especially one that was actually used in WWII (and to boot in a battle I suggested a map for). But it has no place in war thunder. It was a tank made to face infantry and infantry only. It has no gun able to kill other tanks or planes for that matter. Sorry but no.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, Kasukaru said:

Frankly, I hate to say no to a French tank, especially one that was actually used in WWII (and to boot in a battle I suggested a map for). But it has no place in war thunder. It was a tank made to face infantry and infantry only. It has no gun able to kill other tanks or planes for that matter. Sorry but no.

Of course it was could have been used in an antitank role, otherwise they would have only made the MG variant. 

They did attempt to fit a 37mm gun in the turret but was unsuccessful. The development team is known for bending the rules so they could put a 37mm gun on it, giving it a bit of punch.

On 24/11/2019 at 05:27, Skydemon23 said:

They did attempt to fit a 37mm gun in the turret but was unsuccessful

The more you know

Image result for renault ft
Image result for renault ftImage result for renault ft

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The reworked tech tree are a nice touch, but I just can't see them happening.

As for the FT-17, the chances are low but not impossible. Its one of the most requested tanks to be added, and it could be added as like a reward vehicle for some sort of event or maybe even to celebrate the end of WW1. I want to see this vehicle and so do many others. Its a staple of tank design.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It's Renault FT.

FT-17 is an incorrect name.

The FT itself is the production letter of the tank, so putting a number next to it is purely redundant, not to mention false, and in fact the factory name is 'FT Char', the 'FT' being production letters and 'Char' being 'tank', 

So, the tanks real, full name would be 'Char Renault FT'.

I would love to see the Renault FT in War Thunder though :^)

medal medal medal

13 hours ago, tinygerman26 said:

The reworked tech tree are a nice touch, but I just can't see them happening.

As for the FT-17, the chances are low but not impossible. Its one of the most requested tanks to be added, and it could be added as like a reward vehicle for some sort of event or maybe even to celebrate the end of WW1. I want to see this vehicle and so do many others. Its a staple of tank design.

My way of tier 0 being added is a bit odd, like helicopters, you have to get to a certain tier, then you can research vehicles for that tree. That's just me though.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 26/02/2020 at 06:12, Solarmod said:

My way of tier 0 being added is a bit odd, like helicopters, you have to get to a certain tier, then you can research vehicles for that tree. That's just me though.

Well i just got aproved a sugguestion specifically about this concern. Hope you are willing to join the sub-chat in that sugguestion so we can have a deeper discussion about "Rank 1 rework / Rank 0". :)

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

The father of modern tank design. It should be in-game. Also it doesn't need to be re searchable it could be a event vehicle for a WW1 event. Get a certain number of victories using Rank II+ Vehicles of the French Ground Forces. And it would just have more of a meme status than any actual in-game use. Cause tanks that share its gun, and tanks with similar performance, L3/33 CC, .50cal armed vehicles, etc. Have only meme status, which for Rank 1 is more or less what people expect, and imagine needing a competitive tank at a Rank that is only a starting point and a place that shouldn't be taken seriously. Well provided the B1 gets moved to 2.3 then this thing would be fine in a mixed battle.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 25/11/2019 at 20:00, Kasukaru said:

There was also a 75 mm version (same barrel length) with a squarish turret. It was also used in WWII but I suspect only with HE shells.

And there also was this :

75mm-Chenilles-STAV.jpg

244e740e66c8b825d825f3c418895b60.jpg

Image associée

(long 75 mm gun)

and this :

105mm-Chenilles.jpg

(105 mm gun)

pictures of the short 75 mm versions :

CharcanonBS_02.Tanks.jpg

CharcanonBS_03.Tanks.jpg

The Peugeot 75mm Char mod 1918 - SPGs/Artillery - World of Tanks ...

Une extra for the road :

FT17-snowplow_01.Tanks.jpg

Edited by STEEL_GUNNER
Rerestorer une image (75 long)
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal