FT-17 Renault

eleks12

Do you want the FT-17 ingame?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the FT-17 ingame?

• Yes
    • No ( Why? )

• 8 months later...

I voted yes, but really I think the FT should only be added for the "laugh factor". Using the tanks gaijin has already deemed "unviable" pre reserve (such as the FCM 36) competitively is frustrating and will likely get you killed quickly. However, using them for fun and somehow managing to get kills with them is amusing and fun. The FT would work in this setting. However, I think what should be added us the FT Kegresse, an interwar upgrade that gave the FT a superior half track suspension which increased speed and handling. This version might almost be considered at reserve.

On the other hand, I think a WWI / Interwar period game mode would be so cool. I made a hypothetical tech tree for three nations on a google doc. I think a tree that starts with WW1 vehicles and ends with early 1930s land ships would be quite fun.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Game Master

Thinking of the same gun as FCM 36 but less armor and poor mobility, sadly No.

Although it would be an interesting addition to the low-tier battle, but adding pre-WWII tanks that with meager anti-tank capability is not that meaningful and would become source of pain for newcomers of the tec tree.

BTW both FCM36 and Renault R35 have been hidden from tec tree, just the matter of fact that they are far, far away from powerful.

Oh my goodness, this is bringing me back to the old discussion of WWI tanks in War Thunder.  I voted no but only because I don't think it would have a proper place/purpose in the game alone.  If Gaijin made a WWI section of the game, I would be all for it provided they don't put too much effort into it and neglect some of this game's current issues.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, False_Swiss said:

Oh my goodness, this is bringing me back to the old discussion of WWI tanks in War Thunder.  I voted no but only because I don't think it would have a proper place/purpose in the game alone.  If Gaijin made a WWI section of the game, I would be all for it provided they don't put too much effort into it and neglect some of this game's current issues.

even in WW1 section it would be useless. with a top speed of 8km/h you will seldom get over 6km/h on road and off-road it can only get to 3-4km/h. and this is in the best condition. it barely can climb the slope, lose all his speed when turn, will be nearly imobile when crosing the mud and snow.

the weaponry is also unsuitable, even the gun one. the 37mm SA18 isnot the same as the 37mm SA18 mod 35 used on the FCM36 and H35. it cannot use the APCR round with the 30mm of penetration. it can only use the AP round with slower velocity and about 15-20mm of penetration who decay fast over the distance because its very slow. with only 20mm of penetration (in the best preduction) you cannot even penetrate the lightest tank easily. at 500m the windshiled of the GAZ-AA will block the shot. this tank was just not meant to face other tank, or fight for 25minutes, it was meant to charge the infantry and trench.

every vehicle added tank about 3month of developpment. Gaijin got to pay for the developper and programer who work on it. i do not think they will waste their time on this one just to put a smile on some face, i would rather want them to fix the MB157 armament or the AMC34 and Lago-I. there is like 30 vihicles that need obvious fix. but if they want to add something to be funny and who is fit for the game, i would say to add the FCM 2C. slow but having large crew and still having armor. terribly big but having a 75mm gun who can match the 75mm M2. that monster would be a real good derp to add.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 hours ago, CaID said:

even in WW1 section it would be useless. with a top speed of 8km/h you will seldom get over 6km/h on road and off-road it can only get to 3-4km/h. and this is in the best condition. it barely can climb the slope, lose all his speed when turn, will be nearly imobile when crosing the mud and snow.

the weaponry is also unsuitable, even the gun one. the 37mm SA18 isnot the same as the 37mm SA18 mod 35 used on the FCM36 and H35. it cannot use the APCR round with the 30mm of penetration. it can only use the AP round with slower velocity and about 15-20mm of penetration who decay fast over the distance because its very slow. with only 20mm of penetration (in the best preduction) you cannot even penetrate the lightest tank easily. at 500m the windshiled of the GAZ-AA will block the shot. this tank was just not meant to face other tank, or fight for 25minutes, it was meant to charge the infantry and trench.

every vehicle added tank about 3month of developpment. Gaijin got to pay for the developper and programer who work on it. i do not think they will waste their time on this one just to put a smile on some face, i would rather want them to fix the MB157 armament or the AMC34 and Lago-I. there is like 30 vihicles that need obvious fix. but if they want to add something to be funny and who is fit for the game, i would say to add the FCM 2C. slow but having large crew and still having armor. terribly big but having a 75mm gun who can match the 75mm M2. that monster would be a real good derp to add.

Well, what if you made a special small map specifically for Rank 0 vehicles, and throw in all the MG tanks and other things too weak for the main game too?

4 hours ago, PrussianOwl said:

Well, what if you made a special small map specifically for Rank 0 vehicles, and throw in all the MG tanks and other things too weak for the main game too?

No, when looking to rank0 suggestions there is a big gap, for naval or air it might be more doable, but tanks I don't think so, France will have schneider, st chamond, fts, and prototypes that have 75mm gun or 150 mm howitzer, Brits will have whippet, Mks, Germany will get their panzerwhatever and captured Mks, and for the rest of the world fts : not that interesting imo.

Sure there is postwar productions but most of them are protected against small caliber but are also armed with those small caliber so it could be a fun event like the one with fake shermans shooting potatos, but that stop here...

Or maybe making an Enlisted in WW1? Or an other game

Edited by Abaddon75
medal medal

10 hours ago, PrussianOwl said:

they would need to put the spawn at combat range. at less than 1000m from each other otherwise the battle would be too short to allow any respawn. in this case it would be terribly lame and still feel fustrating to play it. imagine playing something half the speed of the T95 who cannot climb or go in the mud/snow. already the R35 is fustrating enough on the mobility, the FT have 1/3 of mobility, protection and firepower.

even facing other tank of his time, lets name the Medium Mk.5 or A7V, the FT could not penetrate any of them unless it go at point blank and find a flat angle.while both could penetrate the FT. it would be just like fighting the Matilda with the FCM36, its just cannot be a match. even a light armor can hope to resist the FT, the R3 T20 with his very thin armor can take a direct hit of the FT at 200m and only get scratch. it would perform trice worse than the worse tank in the game.

seriously even amounst the other tank of his time it cannot reach the standard for anti-tank battle. this tank was made to fight the infantry, that was why it had 2/3 of the production of the FT armed with MG, the gun one was only there to blow the light fortification, like the machine gun nest and building uccupied by enemy infantry. it was never inttended to fight tank. and i do not think it happen before WW2. and they was totally innefective, i think no French FT succeeded to destroy a early WW2 german tank in the few battle of 1940 where it took part.

10 hours ago, PrussianOwl said:

so yes. still too weak and too slow even with other tank of WW1 and smaller and flatter map. it would need at least 10mm of penetration more to at least get to 20-25mm and twice the top speed or add 10minutest to the battle.

Edited by CaID
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

There are multiple versions of the Renault FT who could be fun to add, especially for night battles :

I don't know if he recieved the armament...

Spoiler

p1.jpg

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW1/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/France/1-Tanks/Renault-FT-Projector.htm

The picture is too big for the forum XD

Edited by Atomeur
  • Haha 4

nice find, didn't know they had tested the D1 turret on FT17, but not surpising since it was produced by an other company each one having to use FTs parts for testing before the final fusion (insert DBZ images here)

but the mobility is still lacking, apart from the suspensions on N1 and N2, maybe there is a FT propelled by a boat/aircraft engine :D (sorry couldn't help to make a little joke)

Joke aside the issue will be having to choose between a FT with better gun OR a FT with better mobility :(

medal medal

When we see the video i posted before, I think that the Ft17 has a good rotation on himself (when he doesn't go forward). His speed is a bit slow but he doesn't look so slow on the video,and I think it is the same for the normal FT. On War Thunder, all maps are not made of mud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atomeur said:

When we see the video i posted before, I think that the Ft17 has a good rotation on himself (when he doesn't go forward). His speed is a bit slow but he doesn't look so slow on the video,and I think it is the same for the normal FT. On War Thunder, all maps are not made of mud.

Well maybe it's because of the fps of old camera, or propaganda purpose, look at modern footage :

Well at least we can put spawn points closer

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f91d6e1d0bb27f13ed

Edited by Abaddon75
medal medal

if you reduce fps, you give a feeling of speed 'cause if there is less frames per second, an object mooving from point A to point B will look much quicker than it was in real life, cause it will take him less seconds in the moovie to reach the B point.

I don't know if I'm clear :) so here is an example

giphy.gif

Now Attack the D point!

Edited by Abaddon75
medal medal

On 14/01/2021 at 09:46, CaID said:

To our knowledge were any FT-17s given the upgraded mod 35 gun?

medal medal medal

I mean, I really see no reason as to not. A vehicle doesn't have to be "Good" or "competitive". It should be based on fun. If the gun's in the game, and it *can* pen, even on a barely level, it deserves a spotlight. Especially since it was the first conventional tank made. And every single country took notes from it specifically.

12 hours ago, Atomeur said:

I also find a Renault FT with a 47mm gun

1024px-ST1.jpg?1606138930752

Nice, I might make a suggestion just for that. I know there was a paper Renault FT AC, but this is news to me. Especially with the picture. Is this a Renault NC or something like that?

11 hours ago, Abaddon75 said:

nice find, didn't know they had tested the D1 turret on FT17, but not surpising since it was produced by an other company each one having to use FTs parts for testing before the final fusion (insert DBZ images here)

but the mobility is still lacking, apart from the suspensions on N1 and N2, maybe there is a FT propelled by a boat/aircraft engine :D (sorry couldn't help to make a little joke)

Joke aside the issue will be having to choose between a FT with better gun OR a FT with better mobility :(

Is that the D1 turret? Could be on an NC1 or NC2, like you said. I proposed adding the Renault FT 75 BS, with the 75 mm howitzer, but the suggestion got deleted by the looks of it. If you want a faster FT you could add the Renault FT Kegresse, which I'll make a thread for at some point. 

28 minutes ago, Billygoatunicorn said:

I mean, I really see no reason as to not. A vehicle doesn't have to be "Good" or "competitive". It should be based on fun. If the gun's in the game, and it *can* pen, even on a barely level, it deserves a spotlight. Especially since it was the first conventional tank made. And every single country took notes from it specifically.

This is my attitude towards vehicles in the game. But to make it somewhat competitive I'd put it at 0.0 or 0.3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abaddon75 said:

Well at least we can put spawn points closer

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f91d6e1d0bb27f13ed

I did discuss in another post where the Dev's intentionally could make Very Small Maps and modifiying spawns for current Maps specific for WW1/Early Interwar vehicles if it ever comes to the game.

MapLayout_Conquest1_Italy.jpg.e6f9ef8974 MapLayout_Conquest1_Normandy.jpg.ab6ebcf MapLayout_Conquest3_Poland2.0.jpg.4cd40e

And changing Buttom Tier BR is a must. Since WW1 Tanks stand No Chance again current Reserve Vehicles. In My "Task to Unlock WW1/Early Interwar" suggestion. i propose just like in the image of the suggestion putting current Reserve Tier Vehicle at BR 3.0 and making WW1 a Reward Line. So new players don't have to play WW1 vehicles since i guess they will be defficult to play and balance. :)

Sugguetion.jpg.dd8e325b7681bad187f5ce1b8

Edited by eleks12
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, PrussianOwl said:

Nice, I might make a suggestion just for that. I know there was a paper Renault FT AC, but this is news to me. Especially with the picture. Is this a Renault NC or something like that?

Is that the D1 turret? Could be on an NC1 or NC2, like you said. I proposed adding the Renault FT 75 BS, with the 75 mm howitzer, but the suggestion got deleted by the looks of it. If you want a faster FT you could add the Renault FT Kegresse, which I'll make a thread for at some point. 

This is my attitude towards vehicles in the game. But to make it somewhat competitive I'd put it at 0.0 or 0.3

Yes, I think it is the turret of the NC 1 or NC 2, they probably tested the turret on a Renault FT.

Did you ever tried to suggest the 75mm version of the Renault FT ?

In this case, I think you can do a suggestion which put all 75mm version together. There are 4 versions of the Renault FT with a 75mm.

11 hours ago, Billygoatunicorn said:

I agree. Look at the Po 2. He is not here to be competitive or usefull. I think it can be the same for the Renault FT because of his big history and the number of variant we can produce.

No it's not the NC1 or 2 cause what we see is the original track and suspension system.

Here is the NCs (1 = new Renault suspension. 2 = first attempt from Citroen to adapt kegresse system)  :

nc1%2002.jpg

nc2%2004.jpg

Now the classic one :

67534%2001.jpg

And to end the stuff here is D1 with the 3 turrets used on it:

1034%2002.jpg

char%20d1%20a02%20dga%20chatellerault.jp

char%20d1%20a03%20dga%20chatellerault.jp

char%20d1%20c01%20dga%20chatellerault.jp

1116%2002%20photo%20claude%20herold.jpg

There a suggestion for D1 go theck it out, but remember that at this time, turrets where designed and produce by an other company than the one that work on the hull (most of the time) that's why the FTs were used as test beds or turret were used to simulate or having a better vew of what could be the final result.

Edited by Abaddon75
  • Like 1
medal medal