The BMP-2 sucks for me

GoddePro

This is meant to be the only good tank for Russia at early rank VI. But I just can't get it to work

I seem to be doing so much better with my T-62. I just can't figure it out.

What tactics should I use and how should I play?

I'll try and send in a replay to get some proper advice, 

but until then, any comments at all will be useful

medal medal

BMP 2 does best in a SPAA role. That what I use her for. It also works better VS helicopters. You can shoot jets down though, but are fast moving. I don't really use it vs tanks. I use the Atgm in long range engagements against tanks. That's how I play it. I also have it spaded. I never rush or attack with it. If I see the enemy is almost out of spawns than I push and try to cap. If you must shoot tanks, shoot threw there side. If their IFV, light tanks or wheeled tanks than engage. Good luck and happy hunting

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

What i have noticed is that despite it actually being somewhat quicker then other soviet vehicles i do better when i play it with a bit more patience.

Observe and get the flanking routes covered.

With the Apds rounds you can chew up most tanks with 2-3 burst knocking out their crews on side shots.

Definitly not a Vehicle you want to take up front.

Also as previous mentioned by Roger13 it also excels in the SPAA role 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, EventAnyDamage said:

Not that it matters, the BMP-2 is still bugged to the point of being completely broken.

:008: It is?? I do just fine with it. What's broken?? What bug does it have?? Russian Bias bug?? Maybe hull break... But every light tank and IFV has wonky hull break right now.

44 minutes ago, *Roger13R said:

What bug does it have??

Same as the BMP-3, the instant-burn fuel tanks, the broken hull-break like you mentioned.

Plus the stupid ATGM launcher swivel, the 160 round APDS belt stuck with only 128 actual APDS rounds, the open-bolt dual feed 30mm still needing to waste ammo to actually use the dual-feed.

Edited by EventAnyDamage
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 hours ago, GoddePro said:

This is meant to be the only good tank for Russia at early rank VI. But I just can't get it to work

What tactics should I use and how should I play

Like others said, spot and sling the tiny amount of ATGMs you have until you get APDS. If I were you I'd also try speed grinding modules in AB (basically just take only the BMP, rush cap, try to get a kill; when you get killed just go into next battle and repeat; helps if you talisman it and also have premium time... it also does amazing wonders for getting lots of crew XP).

After that, just YOLO. Rush cap or past cap to get a good ambush position and just r+pe enemy with side burst from close range and save ATGM for real need.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well the BMP-1 is amazing.

I don't really understand the BRs of the BMPs.

BMP-1 and 2 have same ATGMs and mobility, BMP-2 has stabilizer and better gun handling and angles but cannot pen every enemy frontally, BMP-1 has a gun that can pen pretty much everything frontally but is low velocity

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

47 minutes ago, NoodleCup31 said:

BMP-1 and 2 have same ATGMs and mobility, BMP-2 has stabilizer and better gun handling and angles but cannot pen every enemy frontally, BMP-1 has a gun that can pen pretty much everything frontally but is low velocity

yeah, it's also been uptiered to 8.3 now.

I don't really get why, since they just nerfed the APDS belt...

btw, thanks for all your replies. I think I was watching too much Phly and was overextending myself

I'll try it again today and send in some replays to get some real feedback :P

medal medal

6 hours ago, NoodleCup31 said:

I agree the BMP series as a whole have weird BRs. I'd like to see BMP 2 at 7.7 or 8.0 br. Its equal or slightly worse than the Bradley. BMP1 is pretty fun though once you figure out how to shoot over hills with the low velocity gun.

The type 89 and  and warrior need some love too, Espeacilly the warrior. 8.0br and the gun is pretty worthless. The IFV's are more like tank destroyers than IFV in game. It be nice to leave a squad of infantry at a Cap zone or other various places! With shoulder mounted ATGMs that would really help IFVs, some are just pretty usless. 

3 minutes ago, *Roger13R said:

I'd like to see BMP 2 at 7.7 or 8.0 br. Its equal or slightly worse than the Bradley.

Image result for tom cruise laughing meme

Worse?

Higher ROF

Missile launcher doesn't take 8 seconds to open

Faster Missile Reload

Better Missile Pen (Granted the Bradly has 8 more missiles)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, AL_Atago said:

Image result for tom cruise laughing meme

Worse?

Higher ROF

Missile launcher doesn't take 8 seconds to open

Faster Missile Reload

Better Missile Pen (Granted the Bradly has 8 more missiles)

Bradley better HP/T (slightly)

Better reverse gear

Better turret traverse

Better gun depression

Two missiles out at once

THERMALS

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ColdMatches said:

Bradley better HP/T (slightly) with broken steering

Better reverse gear matters little but ok

Better turret traverse both fast enough

Better gun depression you do not hull down to use auto cannon.

Two missiles out at once that takes like 6 seconds to deploy after stopping. Also with terrible penetration.

THERMALS The only real advantage

People may agree if you bring up Warrior or Type 89. But Bradley? It is a terrible IFV at current config.

Its biggest issue is it is as tall as a barn. With hullbreak setting today it dies from any hit instantly.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Bradley is NOT a brawler but a longer ranged ambusher and excels as such bc of thermals and two ready missiles that can pretty much pen everything it sees.

You seem to dismiss a lot of those advantages like any person. Reverse gear DOES matter, I've died because the -11 on the BMP-2.Traverse DOES matter, once again I have died because of it sometimes. Also since Gaijin decided to make the ATGM follow the gun instead of the laser next to the launcher you effectively can only fire -5 deg with the ATGM.

You are right about it being a more matched IFV, but not Warrior (unstabilized gun). However Type 89 is better than the current BMP-3 yet is 0.3 BR lower. I tried arguing about it with people who played it but they obviously dismissed all my claims xD.

Overall in a general sense tho, USSR top tier is dead. Especially more in 8.x bracket. I mean you're uptiered fighting thermals at 8.7/9.0/everyone but you, and your tanks are outclassed at 8.7, and you have no go-kart meta tank at 9.0. 

Edited by ColdMatches
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, *Roger13R said:

I agree the BMP series as a whole have weird BRs. I'd like to see BMP 2 at 7.7 or 8.0 br. Its equal or slightly worse than the Bradley. BMP1 is pretty fun though once you figure out how to shoot over hills with the low velocity gun.

The type 89 and  and warrior need some love too, Espeacilly the warrior. 8.0br and the gun is pretty worthless. The IFV's are more like tank destroyers than IFV in game. It be nice to leave a squad of infantry at a Cap zone or other various places! With shoulder mounted ATGMs that would really help IFVs, some are just pretty usless. 

first of all

the BMP-1 needs to be turned into two vehicles

the BMP-1 at 7.0-3

and the BMP-1P at 7.7

the BMP-2 should stay at 8.0 until all the XM-1s go to 9.3 and we get some proper decompression

as it stands now, there really is no reason for the BMP-2 to be at 8.3

the BMP-3 should either go to 8.7 in its current broken state, or kept at 9.0 with a proper 5 second ATGM reload, reduced hullbreak, and better APDS belt. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal

On 15/02/2020 at 00:35, GoddePro said:

What tactics should I use and how should I play?

I'll try and send in a replay to get some proper advice, 

but until then, any comments at all will be useful

You consider T62 and T55 bad tanks? I would rather play them than BMP-2.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 hours ago, BlazeFlame24 said:

You consider T62 and T55 bad tanks? I would rather play them than BMP-2.

not bad tanks, but apparently not as good as the BMP-2 at its full potential. 

I say apparently because I haven't got there yet

Update on replays: I only play on weekends, and I ran out of time last night,

so I'll bend the rules this time and hop on sometime in the next few days to get it.

medal medal

I hear this loud and clear...I just started with the BMP-2 as well and I realize that I am just a medium tank / MBT type of guy.

I do reasonably well (by my standards) and enjoy the T-55A/62 very much. The Obj 906 I also enjoy situationally...with APCBC on a flank it can be absolutely devastating until some plane or cannon SPAA shred it up. The BMP-2 fits in my lineup as another cheap spawn that can kill peer and higher BR tanks, go after helicopters with missiles and act as gun SPAA. Too easy to kill to make it worth spawning first for me. Unlike most vehicles that I have played, I'm not going to intentionally work to finish spading...it will just be there in my lineup to be used when needed (less often, the better) and will eventually have all modules researched. Or not LOL. 

I'm thinking of a T-62M/T-62/T-55A/BMP-2/Shilka 9.0 lineup...keeping the BMP-2 as the cheap spawn due to the flexibility it offers. I would love to roll the Obj 685 instead but grinding 390k x2 to get past the BMP-3 and spending 2 million SL to get to the end of the line makes me think that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

medal medal medal

5 hours ago, MattS93 said:

I hear this loud and clear...I just started with the BMP-2 as well and I realize that I am just a medium tank / MBT type of guy.

I do reasonably well (by my standards) and enjoy the T-55A/62 very much. The Obj 906 I also enjoy situationally...with APCBC on a flank it can be absolutely devastating until some plane or cannon SPAA shred it up. The BMP-2 fits in my lineup as another cheap spawn that can kill peer and higher BR tanks, go after helicopters with missiles and act as gun SPAA. Too easy to kill to make it worth spawning first for me. Unlike most vehicles that I have played, I'm not going to intentionally work to finish spading...it will just be there in my lineup to be used when needed (less often, the better) and will eventually have all modules researched. Or not LOL. 

I'm thinking of a T-62M/T-62/T-55A/BMP-2/Shilka 9.0 lineup...keeping the BMP-2 as the cheap spawn due to the flexibility it offers. I would love to roll the Obj 685 instead but grinding 390k x2 to get past the BMP-3 and spending 2 million SL to get to the end of the line makes me think that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Don't, that's terrible idea. T-62 don't have ammo that will work at 9.0, neither does T-55A, either go for T-64A and T-72 (plus T-72 actually have armour) that actually have ammunition that can almost reliably kill enemy tanks or limit number of vehicles. T-62M-1 is workable even if it's not particularly good (no armour, slow reload, no thermals but reverse speed is much better than T-64/72). BMP-3 is great jump in quality once you get thermal sight, being able to see hiding tanks make it very good for long range engagements. ZSU-23-4 is just bad, not enough range to engage helis slinging ATGMs if they keep their distance and even if they don't accuracy is terrible (with and without radar), engaging jets is often exercise in futility and flood of AGM makes you very vulnerable target so long as they try to evade.

Even Shturm will be better than T-55A and that thing is VERY situational.

Really build 9.3 lineup using 9.0-9.3 vehicles and BMPs, maybe IT-1 if you want it but T-62 and T-55A are just unsuitable for anything above 8.7 (literally nothing going for them and firepower will range from bad to plain insufficient).

medal medal

1 hour ago, aja318 said:

Don't, that's terrible idea. T-62 don't have ammo that will work at 9.0, neither does T-55A, either go for T-64A and T-72 (plus T-72 actually have armour) that actually have ammunition that can almost reliably kill enemy tanks or limit number of vehicles. T-62M-1 is workable even if it's not particularly good (no armour, slow reload, no thermals but reverse speed is much better than T-64/72). BMP-3 is great jump in quality once you get thermal sight, being able to see hiding tanks make it very good for long range engagements. ZSU-23-4 is just bad, not enough range to engage helis slinging ATGMs if they keep their distance and even if they don't accuracy is terrible (with and without radar), engaging jets is often exercise in futility and flood of AGM makes you very vulnerable target so long as they try to evade.

Even Shturm will be better than T-55A and that thing is VERY situational.

Really build 9.3 lineup using 9.0-9.3 vehicles and BMPs, maybe IT-1 if you want it but T-62 and T-55A are just unsuitable for anything above 8.7 (literally nothing going for them and firepower will range from bad to plain insufficient).

Haha, oops too late. I've played a few matches and so far so good. Got my parts & FPE at least :)

My plan is to research the T-72 & T-64A with this lineup and in the process spade the T-62M so that when it's the low man in the 9.3 lineup at least it will have all of its tools available. Probably grab that BMP-3 after that but man it is so expensive for what we get.

medal medal medal

8 minutes ago, MattS93 said:

Haha, oops too late. I've played a few matches and so far so good. Got my parts & FPE at least :)

My plan is to research the T-72 & T-64A with this lineup and in the process spade the T-62M so that when it's the low man in the 9.3 lineup at least it will have all of its tools available. Probably grab that BMP-3 after that but man it is so expensive for what we get.

We get actual 8.3 IFV just at 9.0 with terrible ATGM reload and to make any real use of it you'll need to set weapon selection (primary [cannon only and allow use of MG], secondary [autocannon] and reset [just in case you accidentally mess with other vehicle]) but that kill your reaction speed defensively (going from ATGM to autocannon take precious moment).

On the other hand with hydropneumatic suspension you can legit go hull down and use the fact you have rather flat turret.

• Upvote 1
medal medal